Login Register

Discussion

“Here is a truly excellent article written by Professor Mark Stoyle of the really excellent University of Southampton on the BBC website which is far from excellent containing true information about the Country of Cornwall:

http://tinyurl.com/6v5enuh

Unlike some blogsites, Professor Mark Stoyle places his name to the truly excellent article.”

By AnGof2012 Posted: January 31, 2013

9 comments

9 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • CallingtonFox  |  January 31 2013, 1:30PM

Why don't you just attempt to answer, directly, all the points made in the blog I posted a link to? What are you afraid of? If you are so sure that person is wrong, then show us all why. There are references and sources galore. The fact remains, as you already know, that Cornwall is a part of England, that there is not one single document produced by the state in its entirety, where Cornwall was ever granted independence. Did you actually bother to read the articles I linked to, by the way?

• AnGof2012  |  January 31 2013, 7:45PM

No. Professor Stoyle and others' research is more substantive than blogsites. Cornwall is next to England just like Wales. There you have it. I just don't bother opening any of your links.

• cliffwalker2  |  February 01 2013, 12:06AM

Professor Mark Stoyle has produced some excellent research but the KernowNats went loopy when ten years ago he wrote that by the Middle Ages East Cornwall was predominantly ethnic Saxon speaking English. I have never come across references to the Saxon, Norman or Plantaganet monarchs recognising Cornwall as anything other than a part of their English realm. If someone has please let me know.

• CallingtonFox  |  February 01 2013, 12:35AM

" I just don't bother opening any of your links." And there you have it, fear of the truth. I do open your links, I do read the nationalist information, that is why I know you are wrong. But then, like I have said before, I was not and am not afraid of the truth.

• Den_a_Gernow  |  February 05 2013, 3:33PM

Half of the problem is that people in the present commenting on the past see it through present eyes rather the past is 'a foreign country' - suggesting something is an 'english realm' is to misunderstand the politics of the middle ages the realm was many faceted and was held by one monarch and was certainly not monocultural - the angevin kings for example didn't even speak english. Cornwall was part of the norman possessions (not part of the english realm) but as many people point out contained and continues to contain much of the apparatus of a seperate realm. Laws were framed up until Tudor times as in England and Cornwall. Henry VIII's coronation contained a reference to the cornish arms showing the fealty of Cornwall as a seperate realm to England (he also had the arms of France as well!).

• CallingtonFox  |  February 05 2013, 3:54PM

Den_a_Gernow, you might find this on interest; http://tinyurl.com/bbmj5x7

• AnGof2012  |  February 05 2013, 4:08PM

Mudhook - an unknown blogger who does not even have the guts to put his name to his ramblings. Compared with our many Cornish academics he is a nobody. Cornwall next to England just like Wales. Cornish not English.

• Carvath  |  February 05 2013, 5:15PM

I think I would put my faith in Professor Mark Stoyle's interpretation on many of the same references that the anonymous blogster "mudhook" makes attempts at: I have never read anything so openly biased and unreasoned.

• CallingtonFox  |  February 05 2013, 5:45PM

" have never read anything so openly biased and unreasoned." Right, ok......

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!