Login Register
 °

Discussion

“I support the campaign to eat Cornish food. With more and more revelations including police raids over the Tamar you cannot trust imported food any more.

Well done WMN for starting this campaign!”

By ThomasFlamank Posted: February 12, 2013

31 comments

31 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • Gurnards_Head  |  February 13 2013, 1:16AM

CORNISH FISH HAS NO ADDITIVES... NOTHING ADDED... NOTHING TAKEN AWAY... ITS SUSTAINABLE... AND COMES FROM A FISHING PORT NEAR YOU... GO OUT AND BUY SOME... YOU MIGHT JUST FIND YOU LIKE IT... THERE IS AN ABSOLUTE GUARANTEE THAT IT CONTAINS NO HORSEFLESH... SUPPORT BRAND CORNWALL WHERE THE PROVENANCE OF THE FOOD YOU EAT IS IMMPECCABLE... PROFITS ARE RECYCLED WITHIN OUR CORNISH COMMUNITY AND CORNISH JOBS ARE SECURED.

• MapSerpren  |  February 13 2013, 11:43AM

Well said both. I too was pleased that the local media have decided to promote local food. Not only real jobs for real people but local food for local people! People believe Cornwall is solely reliant on tourism but that is far from the truth. "You need more in an economy than just tourism, ice cream and deckchairs. Our mining industry is not a figment of the last decade or the last two decades. It has occupied Cornishmen and it has produced wealth for this century, the previous century and probably the last two thousand years" to quote the late great David Penhaligon. Food production plays an increasing role in our GDP and it creates full time, year round work. Incidentally Gurnards Head, there are now 45 working at Crofty again and that enterprise is set to grow as well. With the news that Cornwall is built on a wealth of valuable minerals and with news that other mines may re open, the future is looking bright! Indeed, it's looking Cornish!

• Gurnards_Head  |  February 13 2013, 12:19PM

Crofty was merely slumbering, once more through government shortsightedness, the wealth that lies beneath us will be there when it is needed in its own good time, Crofty is now a beacon of hope as is the plan to dredge tin off the North Coast despite the nimby SAS attempting to put its spoke in to stop it for the most flimsy of reasons. Our economy even now is about much more than ice cream (although more and more superb ice cream is locally produced) food and drink are in the ascendency (look how many craft breweries are springing up) we have one of the worlds top superyacht builders and much much more that we never hear much about. With the English London centric establishment in increasing disarray because it is rotten to the core Cornwall time may come much sooner than we dared imagine even a few months ago. Kernow Bys Vyken.

• youngcornwall  |  February 13 2013, 1:12PM

by Gurnards_Head "Crofty is now a beacon of hope" GH with you being a businessman, can you tell us what actually the people of Cornwall own regarding Crofty? Yes we know about work prospects and all that, but labour can be shipped in from anywhere at anytime if and when need be, in a nut shell, if Crofty were never to go into full production again would this be that devastating for the people of Cornwall business people alike?

• Slimslad  |  February 13 2013, 4:21PM

Not forgetting, of course, that "over the Tamar" also refers to the raid on a Welsh slaughter-house.

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 13 2013, 5:20PM

...and all of the wonderfull success enjoyed by our food industry has occured while we enjoy the benefits of our present political administration from our capitol London.

• Carvath  |  February 13 2013, 5:45PM

We have the unholy trinity here I see - be a bit more positive for Cornwall boys. H_T your spelling is shocking. YC and Slim should know the answers to their posts, nitpicking perhaps

• Carvath  |  February 13 2013, 6:18PM

Shocking: wonderfull (sic), occured (sic), capitol (sic) also seperatist (sic). God knows what you're babbling about £3000 a week, presumably he/she can spell.

• Carvath  |  February 13 2013, 7:08PM

It's a public forum YC, anybody can answer. The point about being more positive for Cornwall was aimed at three of you. I'll ignore your bad manners.

• Carvath  |  February 13 2013, 8:08PM

Nobody has gone on at length about tourism being everything to Cornwall more than slimslad, so there's a clue on 'people'. Important as it is food produce and all it entails is more important and much of it is not so seasonal as tourism, so is a much better prospect. This has been pointed out a dozen times on here and elsewhere. The jobs at Crofty and those associated with ancillaries and support are very important to the local economy - big pay packets being spent locally. More supportive jobs will be generated than actual jobs in the mine. The expertise is invaluable for CSM at Tremough and for further consultants that will spring up. These bring in money and further know-how from overseas. A number still exist from Cornwall's previous mining expertise and do a lot of business overseas. It's important for Cornwall to get back this expertise again. Crofty will be one of the first mines and others will follow (and offshore dredging as well). To have all the infrastructure developing on the back of Crofty will speed the widespread resurgence. There are more benefits to Cornwall that could be listed and more details as to support industries but the above gives an outline.

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 13 2013, 8:22PM

at least with food production and tourism there is an almost exclusively local ownership of the resource hence the money generated flows around the county.....however welcome mining is it is a fact thet the vast sums generated are going to end up in Canada where the owners are.

• youngcornwall  |  February 13 2013, 8:30PM

"can you tell us what actually the people of Cornwall own regarding Crofty? Yes we know about work prospects and all that"

• Carvath  |  February 13 2013, 10:15PM

I have not used any of those terms you list in any of my posts. Also, I don't belong to any organisations except professional bodies for employment purposes and CAMRA, O and the Automobile Association. Contrarily, you have indulged in many a discussion on the gains from tourism and argued against the down side of it to people not involved in the tourist industry, not with me I must add because I rarely talk about it.

• ThomasFlamank  |  February 13 2013, 10:16PM

There is now detailed discussion about the opening of other tin mines in mid Cornwall as well. Proper Cornish jobs for proper Cornish people I should say!

• MapSerpren  |  February 14 2013, 9:39AM

Well said Gurnards Head (is it Harry, I wonder? Don't respond here, of course!) Carvath, and Thomas. I concur with your points entirely.

• poldice  |  February 14 2013, 9:58AM

Nice to see everything normal, with a perfectly reasonable subject thread descending into the basement of semantics relating to an entirely different subject. FACT Cornish food production is a growth sector in both volumes and value. FACT The provenance of Cornish food is unimpeachable which is not the case with imports. FACT Food production is a precursor to tourism as much as Cornwalls scenery and heritage . FACT Food production is far more important economically than tourism. FACT An economy based around quality food production is a safe economy because people always need to eat so production will always be required to some degree. FACT Its an ill wind, much as I despise the decision to build more houses than necessary in Cornwall over the next 20 years this will inevitably increase demand for locally produced food. I notice the thread has strayed into a slanging match about emmets. incomers and blow ins in a negative manner. These are my personal very loose definitions of the types described. An emmet in my perception is a term for an individual partaking in mass tourism bucket and spade kiss me quick low margin peak time tourist trade where the biggest downside is the congestion they cause on wet summer days when unable to sit on the beach, in this context the term is descriptive rather than derogatory if you understand what an actual emmet is. Incomers are the product of inward migration, again not a problem in manageable numbers but given the current mass housing proposals a potential future flash point where Cornwall is perceived as a dumping ground for problem families from metropolitan areas. Many incomers will be bringing something to the table in the form of useful skills who will not be welfare dependent, they are welcome but again in manageable numbers. Blow ins- probably the lowest form of human life the often bolshy second homers who think they have bought us, who own under occupied properties in desireable areas, they contribute very little but force the prices of property beyond the reach of local buyers with an often negative attitude toward local neighbours.

• Tstrunk  |  February 14 2013, 11:25AM

by poldiceThursday, February 14 2013, 9:58AM "FACT Cornish food production is a growth sector in both volumes and value." As it is across the rest of the Uk and based on a cheap labour force which is both hard working and very profitable and trading across Europe in a free trade market. Many farms come and go across Cornwall as they do in Devon and other parts of the UK, it is based on boom and bust, just take the milk situation, who is making the real money the farmers,the likes Robert Wiseman dairies or the supermarkets? "FACT The provenance of Cornish food is unimpeachable which is not the case with imports." They are so many produces of great foods in the UK, look the great cheeses made in the UK and many great food produced not many of them contain horse! "FACT Food production is far more important economically than tourism." They are both very important to Cornwall and play different roles in our economy as they do across the UK. "FACT An economy based around quality food production is a safe economy because people always need to eat so production will always be required to some degree." Many farms have gone out of business over the years in Cornwall and with very cheap labour and milk prices etc i am sure you understand the problems with farming and the farm gate price! "FACT Its an ill wind, much as I despise the decision to build more houses than necessary in Cornwall over the next 20 years this will inevitably increase demand for locally produced food." We'll end with more supermarkets and we do need more house building, FACT!

• ThomasFlamank  |  February 14 2013, 1:06PM

Have to agree with you there Poldice. Love your definitions too. Did you see Les Merton's hilarious book containing a whole host of these definitions? TStrunk - why do we need more house building and why do we need more supermarkets? Don't we have enough in Kernow already? Or are we a dumping ground for the sorts detailed in Poldice's posting?

• poldice  |  February 14 2013, 1:38PM

FACT The cheap labour force is very hard working and a prime example of acceptable incomers who really do bring something to the table. Furthermore they are a very sad reflection on our indigenous long term unemployed (part of Blairs cynical client state) who refuse this sort of work preferring the softer option of benefits which are material for another thread. FACT The Wiseman business model in in reality an abomination creating unecessary food miles and a carbon footprint the size of Australia absolutely irrelevant to Cornish specifics which must not be clouded by examples in the greater UK, this abomination may be currently working but is unsustainable long term, very vulnerable to connsumer backlash. FACT We are talking about Cornwall as above what transpires in the greater UK is only of academic interest. FACT All elements of our Cornish economy are crucial but it is beyond dispute that the GDP of food related activity is now greater than the GDP of tourism which as it goes upmarket increasingly relies on the provenance of what it supplies to its increasingly discerning clientele. FACT Of course all businesses come and go including farms which have become much larger to remain viable, I will not comment on the rights and wrongs of this othe than to say that in the depths of recession several very large very profitable concerns have emerged which have learned to work with supermarkets. I understand the vagaries of farmgate prices perfectly well but farmers are just as exposed to the economic cycle as anyone else with the caveat that everyone must eat but most can survive without a holiday. FACT Being pragmatic it really is an ill wind, I reconise the need for more houses but not of the type or in the numbers proposed and most certainly not on the easy option of prime farmland greenfield sites, what happened at Lys Kernow this week is a travesty and a disgrace, those responsible will hopefully get their come uppance on May 2nd. More supermarkets? Maybe but the current food scandals will make many consumers pause and question their dubious ethics yet again. this may be a scandsl too far that marks the zenith of their greedy domination of both wholesale food production and retail food sales. We are obviously going to end up with both more houses and more supermarkets but worldwide economic circumstances may yet dictate lesser numbers of both than their greedy promotors may be currently wishing for. Kernow Bys Vyken.

• Tstrunk  |  February 15 2013, 9:01AM

by ThomasFlamankThursday, February 14 2013, 1:06PM "Have to agree with you there Poldice. Love your definitions too. Did you see Les Merton's hilarious book containing a whole host of these definitions? TStrunk - why do we need more house building and why do we need more supermarkets? Don't we have enough in Kernow already? Or are we a dumping ground for the sorts detailed in Poldice's posting?" "Why do we need more house building" better question to ask is when was there a time houses haven't been built here in Cornwall! What has happened recently and MK and the like look to gain mileage out of it was the Tories getting shot of unelected quangos and placing the power back to the people/local government. Poldice "emmet" "Incomers", "Blow ins- probably the lowest form of human life" There are around million british citizens living and working in other European counties. Free movement is a core right of EU citizens to want to show discrimination is something you can not do, the ' free movement directive' is something you can not opt out of? Free movement is the bases of the single market one of the most important rights for EU members states and its citizens. Holding your opinion shows a very personal resentment, which is both outdated and pointless. It is a nation base attitude!

• poldice  |  February 15 2013, 10:24AM

We are not talking migrant labour (which given the apparent reluctance of unemplyed locals to do this work) is an essential element of the greater UK's workforce at present. My reference to "the lowest form of human life refers to blow ins be they the dross deposited on us by housing associations giving these non residents priority over locals or rich second homers who think they can buy us up with their cheque books. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH DEAR OLD EMMETS WHO ENJOY CORNWALL OR INDEED GENUINE INCOMERS WHO BRING SOME ECONOMIC BENEFIT TO THE TABLE AND THAT INCLUDES MIGRANT LABOUR I ALSO FULLY ACCEPT THAT MANY CORNISH ARE MIGRANT WORKERS AS WELL, THAT IS FREE MOVEMENT OF LABOUR WORKING AS INTENDED. I would contend that all communities everywhere have their quotient of feckless dross, problem families dependent on welfare and no strangers to the court system, my argument is that we already have enough of our own to contend with without being a dumping ground for those from elsewhere, these comments are not resentful they are a legitimate viewpoint that needs discussion. This weeks disgraceful episode at Lys Kernow when a vote was taken about future housing numbers tends to reinforce this argument when a number on the higher side of the scale was voted in by councillors in a non recorded vote that many see as a sell out to developers. THIS WILL ALMOST CERTAILY BE REVISED UPWARDS NOW THAT THESE PHILISTINES HAVE SHOWN THEIR TRUE COLOURS AND A BENCHMARK HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED. All that is really needed is sufficient social housing in the right locations (WHERE THERE IS CLEARLY DEMONSTRABLE LOCAL NEED) and some infill of executive style open market homes. It would appear that the Home Choices Register was created to cynically manipulate what appeared to be needed upwards to suit the political purposes of those who sold us out. I BET NONE OF THESE DESPICABLE COUNCILLORS HAVE THE GUTS TO JUSTIFY THEIR ACTIONS TO US CURRENTLY THE SILENCE FROM THEM IS DEAFENING. SURELY EVERY VOTE OF OF THIS NATURE SHOULD BE RECORDED AS A MATTER OF COURSE... NO IF'S NO BUTS. MY OPINIONS ARE MY OWN IF YOU DONT ACCEPT THEM THAT IS YOUR PEROGATIVE TSTRUNK. THATS ENOUGH THIS THREAD IS ABOUT SUPPORTING LOCAL FOOD GET BACK ON TOPIC.

• Slimslad  |  February 15 2013, 1:52PM

Just shows what some people can become when they imagine they are "pillars of the community", in my opinion. Their "opinions" become a well-rehearsed rant, usually delivered in UPPER-CASE.

• poldice  |  February 15 2013, 2:03PM

I LOVE UPPER CASE SLIM THE FACT THAT YOU DO NOT IS A BONUS NOW NOW CAN WE GET BACK ONTO THE THREAD DEAR BOY!!!

• Slimslad  |  February 15 2013, 2:35PM

"NOW NOW"? Too loud! Echo-echo-echo...

• Slimslad  |  February 15 2013, 2:37PM

At least some of the food was not "English2 at all,(the way you rate it). It was Welsh and Irish.

• Slimslad  |  February 15 2013, 2:40PM

English2? Forgive me!

• poldice  |  February 15 2013, 2:48PM

MY GOODNESS SLIM YOU ARE AN ACTIVE LITTLE NAG TODAY IT MUST BE MAKING YOU HUNGRY... HUNGRY ENOUGH TO EAT A HORSE BY ANY CHANCE???... DONT SHOUT TOO LOUD MY BOY IT MIGHT MAKE YOU HORSE... YOU NEED TO MAINTAIN A STABLE CONDITION... NOW TROT ALONG THERE CLIP CLOP CLIP CLOP.

• Tolgus  |  February 15 2013, 4:49PM

There are around million british citizens living and working in other European counties. Free movement is a core right of EU citizens to want to show discrimination is something you can not do, the ' free movement directive' is something you can not opt out of? Free movement is the bases of the single market one of the most important rights for EU members states and its citizens. Holding your opinion shows a very personal resentment, which is both outdated and pointless. It is a nation base attitude!" I totally agree, Tstrunk. if Cornwall were ever to become an independent nation, then xenophobic comments, such as those made by Poldice and others, may come back to haunt them, in my opinion.

• poldice  |  February 15 2013, 5:38PM

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH DEAR OLD EMMETS WHO ENJOY CORNWALL OR INDEED GENUINE INCOMERS WHO BRING SOME ECONOMIC BENEFIT TO THE TABLE AND THAT INCLUDES MIGRANT LABOUR I ALSO FULLY ACCEPT THAT MANY CORNISH ARE MIGRANT WORKERS AS WELL, THAT IS FREE MOVEMENT OF LABOUR WORKING AS INTENDED. Tolgus so it is xenophobic I am? I beg to differ as the paragrah above copied from my previous post would tend to confirm. If expressing horror of and disgust at the councillors who recently sanctioned an insane dash for growth at any cost by sanctioning mass housing projects which will unleash an unsustainable wave of inward migration then I am proud to be a xenophobe. What I suggest is really needed in Cornwall is quiet sustainable prosperity which will create organic growth as and when the need arises which will then absorb inward migration in an orderly productive manner remembering that migrant labour is now a vital element in many sectors due to the reluctance of our own unemployed to undertake low paid work because they are financially trapped in the benefit system. Tolgus I beg to suggest that you have formed a very misguided opinion of what I have said.

• Slimslad  |  February 15 2013, 6:35PM

The FACT that Poldice preceded six paragraph's-worth of personal opinion with the word "FACT", tells me I would hate to be trapped in a bar with this blow-hard. I beg to suggest he would be the one buying the attention of an "adoring audience".

• Slimslad  |  February 15 2013, 6:50PM

by poldice Poldice Tuesday, January 29 2013, 10:16PM "Perhaps we should step back from our fixation on what the nasty Neo Liberal English establishment are doing to the Cornish and ponder on the damage they are more than capable of doing to themselves without any outside input whatsoever as they lose their iron grip on the last vestigaes of empire andTolgus so it is xenophobic I am? "Tolgus so it is xenophobic I am?" You are. The fact that you quickly change your stance, once challenged, does not hide the FACT.

• Slimslad  |  February 15 2013, 7:18PM

Oops! Slight error! FACT Perhaps we should step back from our fixation on what the nasty Neo Liberal English establishment are doing to the Cornish and ponder on the damage they are more than capable of doing to themselves without any outside input whatsoever as they lose their iron grip on the last vestigaes of empire and Blairs poisonous social experiment with multiculturalism destroys them from within." "Blairs poisonous social experiment with multiculturalism destroys them from within."?

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!