Login Register
 °

Discussion

“I was sent this email memo marked 'unrestricted' from an Independent at the Government for Cornwall - Lys Kernow. I, my family and others are heartened:

"Belatedly, a good, clear outline of just some of the reasons why Cornwall should and could pursue autonomy. The research being conducted on the constitutional status of the Duchy and Duke of Cornwall also needs to be included in the reasons why Cornwall is historically a different political unit from England.

Just today it has been announced that prospecting operations at South Crofty has revealed that a whopping £1.5 billion of metallic minerals would be recoverable from resumed operations in the area. The announcement suggests 220 new jobs but how much of the profit will actually remain in the Duchy? Albeit that the company running the operations (a complex corporate arrangement involving three companies) has major Australian and Canadian investment, if Cornwall had the powers to tax profits on resuming mining activities it could see much needed and deserved income stay in the Duchy. For the announcement see:

http://tinyurl.com/8myuqly

Similarly the lack of support shown to Cornish towns has meant that out-of-scale and out-of-town multiples are siphoning off profits raised from the money people spend in Cornwall. And this in some places is even actively supported by the local authority and chambers of commerce (e.g. PZ Chamber of Commerce supporting the proposed Sainsbury's development at the heliport).

Cornish cultural, linguistic, historic, constitutional and economic distinctiveness and needs should be better promoted outside the Duchy. In many cases it is not the fault of people in England for thinking Cornwall is part of the same unit as them because it has never been properly and persistently explained to them. Cornwall's assumption in the 'South West' does not help either.”

By Truro_Kernow Posted: October 28, 2012

17 comments

17 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • Truro_Kernow  |  October 28 2012, 11:20AM

"Belatedly, a good, clear outline of just some of the reasons why Cornwall should and could pursue autonomy. The research being conducted on the constitutional status of the Duchy and Duke of Cornwall also needs to be included in the reasons why Cornwall is historically a different political unit from England. Just today it has been announced that prospecting operations at South Crofty has revealed that a whopping £1.5 billion of metallic minerals would be recoverable from resumed operations in the area. The announcement suggests 220 new jobs but how much of the profit will actually remain in the Duchy? Albeit that the company running the operations (a complex corporate arrangement involving three companies) has major Australian and Canadian investment, if Cornwall had the powers to tax profits on resuming mining activities it could see much needed and deserved income stay in the Duchy. For the announcement see: http://tinyurl.com/8myuqly Similarly the lack of support shown to Cornish towns has meant that out-of-scale and out-of-town multiples are siphoning off profits raised from the money people spend in Cornwall. And this in some places is even actively supported by the local authority and chambers of commerce (e.g. PZ Chamber of Commerce supporting the proposed Sainsbury's development at the heliport). Cornish cultural, linguistic, historic, constitutional and economic distinctiveness and needs should be better promoted outside the Duchy. In many cases it is not the fault of people in England for thinking Cornwall is part of the same unit as them because it has never been properly and persistently explained to them. Cornwall's assumption in the 'South West' does not help either. A systematic de-coupling from English institutions will help. Visit Cornwall has made a start as has Cornwall Heritage Trust. Maga, the Cornwall Channel too. But our media is controlled from outside as are many of our key buildings and institutions. In an orderly fashion we need to find ways of running these effectively from within and so the insidious excuse may never be given that people in Cornwall are incapable of running their own affairs."

• CallingtonFox  |  October 28 2012, 4:23PM

"In an orderly fashion we need to find ways of running these effectively from within and so the insidious excuse may never be given that people in Cornwall are incapable of running their own affairs." Or deciding whether they are English or not and that Cornwall is a part of England and having a brain to work out why ;) Quis Separabit. Good news about the mineral deposits though, good news indeed. Pity it is in private hands it seems, we shall see.

• youngcornwall  |  October 28 2012, 5:00PM

"Good news about the mineral deposits though, good news indeed. Pity it is in private hands it seems, we shall see." This kind of message seems to come out periodically regarding South Crofty, wasn't it about 12 months ago they found Indium and before that Gold deposits there, until it comes into full production we will have to wait and see.

• CallingtonFox  |  October 28 2012, 5:19PM

"This kind of message seems to come out periodically regarding South Crofty, wasn't it about 12 months ago they found Indium and before that Gold deposits there, until it comes into full production we will have to wait and see." True.

• Slimslad  |  October 28 2012, 6:55PM
  • Truro_Kernow  |  October 28 2012, 10:07PM

Incidentally, Mr Fox, we are Cornish not English and this is Kernow next to England a bit like Cymru. I don't know what you and the 'little fishy' are and I really couldn't care but I know what I am, by lawful and legal right as well as much else. Kernow kensa!

• CallingtonFox  |  October 28 2012, 10:41PM

Mr Truro_Kernow, if that is your name, you can of course call yourself and consider yourself what ever you wish, it bothers me not. But no matter how often you say Cornwall is not a part of England the facts are otherwise and I am within my rights to say so and the law backs me up too. I also ask you again, have you ever tried to prove yourself wrong? Try it.

• Truro_Kernow  |  October 28 2012, 11:59PM

I am Cornish. Cornwall is not England. Simple. Kernow bys vyken!

• CallingtonFox  |  October 29 2012, 12:47AM

Saying it, does not make it true, simple.

• Gurnards_Head  |  October 29 2012, 8:42AM

True or false time will tell... the signs are that Kernow is inching inexorably toward autonomy as constant pressure on the previously impregnable Duchy of Cornwall shows signs of bearing fruit. A clear sign of English desperation was last weeks red herring picked up and blown out of all proportion by the odious Sun newspaper with regard to the 12 year old CNLA leader. How strange that whenever the Cornish issue encounters fair winds that some one some where manages to raise the spectre of a para military CNLA to muddy the waters. One thing is for sure if the truth is there no matter how deeply it is buried it will out and if. or more likely when, it emerges it may be very unpalatable in certain quarters where much effort has been put into maintaining the status quo including the sinister spectre of the CNLA to whip up anti Cornish hysteria in the Sun readerships fevered imaginations.

• youngcornwall  |  October 29 2012, 9:28AM

by CallingtonFox "Saying it, does not make it true, simple." This whole concept of saying you are Cornish and not English, what is to be gained from saying it? No doubt our little band of revolutionaries have a good reason why, without the ability to explain what the advantages are, only to say I am Cornish bla bla and proud of it.

• Slimslad  |  October 29 2012, 9:50AM

"Yes, independent EDL lad." LOL

• Carvath  |  October 29 2012, 9:53AM

Yes, Cornwall is administered as a county of England by Westminster but is recognised as a Celtic nation by the Celtic League, Celtic Congress and the Governments of Wales and Man among others. So 'Cornish Nation' can be used as a description and 'Cornish' can be recorded on census and other official documents. Someone quoted Philip Payton's book, Cornwall- a History, which goes to great lengths, all 300+ pages, to show Cornwall was never regarded as an English county and passed from Earldom to Duchy, which constitutionally it still is within the UK.

• KernowGB  |  October 29 2012, 10:04AM

@youngcornwall (re Monday, October 29 2012, 9:28AM) You use CF's comment which, of course, is itself very ambiguous [neither does it make it untrue!], is certainly not a saying that operates in only one direction anyway. There has not been any objective discussion (to date) on any of the specific information that I have posted (on the "other thread") and all that seems to come back is personal philosophising, personal opinions and Establishment Propaganda. Even now - judging from your add-on comment, you, personally, still have no concept of what any of these exchanges are about. That is truly bizarre!!

• Taxman100  |  October 29 2012, 11:24AM

I would very much like to see mining recommence at South Crofty, and deliver the 200+ jobs to an area which is in desperate need of them. We must not forget however mining is a financially volatile industry. ie: what is feasible and profitable today is neither in a years time. In addition the cost of opening a new mine (or reopening) is extremely expensive and those who suggest a local form of Government could provide, and continue to provide, the financial support for the local industry are living in an unrealistic world. Likewise, if you attempt to raise taxes to support that aim, the mining company will surely cut their losses and go elsewhere where they are not taxed. Note: Four mines in Brazil and Australia that were opened in January and March of this year, and at considerable cost - some of it borne by the local taxpayers, are already scheduled for closure as they are now considered to be totally uneconomical. Finally, I think the letter from the member of Cornwall Council (unnamed and therefore unidentified) sums up the overall problem of the so called 'Independent' Councillor. If a Councillor has something to say then he/she should do so openly.

• CallingtonFox  |  October 29 2012, 4:08PM

KGB, how is my comment "very ambiguous"?

• Slimslad  |  October 29 2012, 6:56PM

"Saying it does not make it true" "is certainly not a saying that operates in only one direction anyway.? "Saying it does not make it untrue? LOL

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!