Login Register

Discussion

“Well done the river procession for showing the flags of the nations of Britain:
Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, England

http://tinyurl.com/7cp4xcz

By Gwynnhadu Posted: June 03, 2012

36 comments

36 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • Gwynnhadu  |  June 03 2012, 6:56PM

That is no ordinary barge flying the St Piran of Kernow alongside the flags of Scotland, Wales, etc. That was Gloriana, the Royal barge, and our flag had prominence with the English, Scots, Welsh, Irish ones. That is because Kernow is a Nation of Britain by Royal recognition.

• Gurnards_Head  |  June 03 2012, 7:29PM

Well I have seen it with my own eyes, I dont think I was seeing things, in fact I know I wasnt, that was the flag of St Piran flying there along with all the other British Nations and it has made my day, as Gwynnhadu so rightly says that makes it official. KERNOW IS ONE OF THE FAMILY OF BRITISH NATIONS.

• youngcornwall  |  June 03 2012, 7:30PM

We only want some of these over the top nats to act accordingly now, so Cornwall can take its rightful place, and not be dragged down by the few who think they are more Cornish than most.

• crowsanwra  |  June 03 2012, 7:47PM

Yes indeed, by approval of Elizabeth the Second: Royal Barge pictures showing today's flying of the Cornish National Flag of Saint Piran and another shot of our National flag: http://tinyurl.com/7ud2cfv Note the equal precedence accorded to our National flag alongside those of Scotland, England, Wales and other NATIONAL flags. No County flag flown on the Gloriana. Indeed Gurnards Head, KERNOW IS ONE OF THE FAMILY OF BRITISH NATIONS - by approval of Queen Elizabeth the Second.

• KernowGB  |  June 03 2012, 7:59PM

@youngcornwall (re Sunday, June 03 2012, 7:30PM) You are truly beyond belief! It sounds as if you are now attempting to seek some credit for something that you cannot possibly have had anything to do with, with your continual pursuit of "Denial & Denigration". Even now you still accuse your undefined "few" as dragging 'the Cornish' down, when it has been your little clique that has been arrogantly playing the "English" card from the outset, when it has been 'the few' that has been devoted to making people aware of the hidden 'Cornish Truths', in the face of certain arrogant stigma-creators and deniers like yourself. Perhaps, in time, you might truly understand what 'being Cornish' really means.

• ebxdlpk  |  June 03 2012, 8:07PM

"KERNOW IS ONE OF THE FAMILY OF BRITISH NATIONS" Gurnards_Head you seem to have a refreshing approach, one that lives in a real world. I welcome your thoughts on this and look forward to reading more of your views on Cornwall. I didn't think many of the people posting on this forum had much interest in this queen's jubilee celebration!

• Chy_Howlek  |  June 03 2012, 8:29PM

What we must remember is that posters like youngcornwall don't even live in Kernow and so are out of touch. None of us ever denied being from the Island of Britain. I am Cornish, of Britain and European. The Queen obviously recognises Kernow as she has given our unsullied flag of Saint Piran equal precedence on her royal barge with the other National flags. We all know how very careful Elizabeth has been over flags and protocols in the past as we may remember from the death of Diana. Now we have it confirmed that our flag of Saint Piran is a National Flag, as important as any other National flag and that we speak a language recognised by Westminster and Europe. The St Piran's flag has been adopted by us as the Cornish flag. The language is Cornish. We are Cornish. Of the island of Britain/Britons/British and European. Not English. Those English who post here would do well to remember their past refusal to recognise us our rightful National identity and now to apologise in the face of the actions of their queen.

• rosenwyn  |  June 03 2012, 9:06PM

My mum was so pleased to see the Cornish flag flying on the Royal Gloriana she phoned me up to tell me. I'm no royalist but well done to the queen for giving Cornwall the recognition it's due. A step in the right direction.

• Gurnards_Head  |  June 03 2012, 9:37PM

What an absolutely glorious day for the Queen and all Cornish People proving Cornwall really is the Westernmost Country in the British Family of Nations,reinforced by the fact that no English Shire Counties were represented in the same fashion. This truly is an historic day for us as Cornish people, as in Eire last year the British Queen in her wisdom is building the bridges necessary to heal past hurts and mistakes in order to invoke a new spirit of goodwill, optimism and unity between the Nations of the British Isles.

• gwenonek  |  June 03 2012, 10:26PM

When I received a phone call as well, I could not believe this! For years, I have played a small role at demonstrations, meetings, letter writing, protests, including to Duke Charles and his mother. Now the Queen has set a precedent. As Chy Howlek has rightly pointed out, the Royals are so careful over this sort of thing. Now this has happened! Our glorious and pure St Piran flag, adopted by the special people of this special little land at the toe of Britain placed equal with those of the English, the Scots, the Welsh and so on. Truly, Kernow is not England and we are not English. A new path has been created for this Duchy of ours and with a Royal Seal.

• KernowGB  |  June 03 2012, 10:35PM

I hope that a very large photo of the "Gloriana" is sent to every school in Kernow, for display with a plaque of thanks and an explanation of its significance. http://tinyurl.com/6t57cc7 .

• crowsanwra  |  June 03 2012, 10:53PM

Excellent idea KernowGB and to all else come to that! At a stroke, the Queen so adored by many on this forum (Slimslad, Big Ger, Taxman100, youngcornwall etc etc) has proven what so many of us have been saying for years! She has flown our flag on her royal barge giving it equality with the other Nations including the one across the Tamar! http://tinyurl.com/7ud2cfv

• Gurnards_Head  |  June 03 2012, 11:09PM

Surprising how quiet our friends that you have enclosed in brackets are tonight crowsanwra, I just hope that we all show some magnaminity in the face of what is a collosal not to say advance for the Cornish cause. As KernowGB so rightly said many good Cornish in the face of what has occured over the years have just given up and taken their Cornishness with them to their graves, myself I will never give up, I hope I am up to leading by example in conveying to others what I personally feel. There has never been a more dangerous time than over the next few days or weeks as some fool is bound to attempt to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, the last thing we need is an outburst of jingoism or rancour, an olive branch has been offered so lets sieze it with both hands and run with it to see where it leads.

• youngcornwall  |  June 04 2012, 9:36AM

"what is a collosal not to say advance for the Cornish cause." This recognition by the Queen just highlights what she has been doing all over the world in the last 60 years, helping to bring prosperity to this country. What a massive boost this is for Cornwall, the Queen has done more in one showing of the flag than the tourist industry has done in the last 30 years, saying that, the tourist industry will no doubt gain immensely from this, as well as the housing market, what the person in the street will benefit in real terms from all this in the long run, depends on How and Whom "advance the Cornish cause".

• KernowGB  |  June 04 2012, 10:00AM

@Gurnards_Head (re Sunday, June 03 2012, 11:09PM) Spot on, as usual. ============================= @youngcornwall (re Monday, June 04 2012, 9:36AM) And you still do not understand the real significance of yesterday's pivotal moment!!!!!

• Chopper8  |  June 04 2012, 10:09AM

It's a great step forward in the long fight for Cornwall's rightful recognition as one of the component nations that comprise the UK, make no mistake, and I was absolutely made up (like the 'Devon flag') to see it. If would now be refreshing if our so-called 'local' media can embrace this new found honesty and start referring to Cornwall as a nation in it's own right, rather than continually placing it in a 'Devon and Cornwall'/ 'Westcountry'/ 'South-west' context. However, I wont be holding my breath and will await the inevitable saturation coverage in said media of images of the St.George cross being displayed in the Duchy during the upcoming Euro 2012 tournament...

• rosenwyn  |  June 04 2012, 11:01AM

Giving the royal family credit where credit is due. Maybe as Cornish people we should repond likewise back. Maybe a few street parties when the next Duke of Cornwall comes into his role and a ceremony at Truro catherdral would be fitting where William could attend. I just hope those politicains were taking note yesterday and equally observed our much loved St Pirans flag. For so long i've felt cut off and excluded by the powers that be for having an identity that didn't seem to be recognised. This moment is positve in bringing people together. To recognise Britain in all it's beauty, shapes and forms is far more progressive than what has gone before us.

• Gurnards_Head  |  June 04 2012, 3:06PM

Dont ever feel cut off rosenwyn there are more of us than others realise quietly getting on with our Cornish lives in the way we see fit, what happened yesterday is momentous and goes some way to restoring our national dignity and sense of place. We are not the revolutionaries that many of the malign would have us be, merely the tattered but proud remnants of an ancient tribe who will not quietly and convieniently fade away just because our ancient sacred landscape has been occupied by others for so long. Make no mistake the politicians will have taken note and will already be making calculations on the change in their landscapes and horizons that will be engendered by the rennaisance of confidence of the Cornish Nation as a result of yesterdays wonderful gesture. Time is now on our side lets use it wisely.

• Taxman100  |  June 04 2012, 3:44PM

I'm sorry to spoil your Nationalist Jubilee party, but clearly you only saw what you wanted to see. If you had observed closely you would have noticed various flags were flown on the Gloriana at different times during the trip. ie: the flags were interchanged during the trip down the Thames. NB: The 'Motability' flag was flown. If your argument holds any water then I must assume 'Motability' is the 6th/7th Celtic nation - or am I wrong?!

• KernowGB  |  June 04 2012, 4:37PM

It is definitely not the 6th/7th Celtic nation. So! Yes! You are wrong! What were all the other flags that were interchanged? One assumes that in the not too distant future that there will be a full explanation giving various reasons for the flying of all the flags flown. Until that time, the flying of the Cornish flag is still 'unprecedented'.

• poldice  |  June 04 2012, 4:50PM

You are certainly wrong to adopt that typically disparaging hectoring tone which unfortunately tends to encapsulsate the very worst of the Anglo centric culture which you so obviously align with Taxman 100. You can like it or lump it old boy what happened yesterday was unprecedented, your inane talk of motability as the 6th/7th Celtic nation merely gives credence to my hunch that you are boorishly ignorant and congenitally intolerant.

• Chy_Howlek  |  June 04 2012, 6:08PM

In fairness KernowGB and poldice, this must have come as something of a shock to Colonel Taxman100. His insistence that we are all English bathing under the glories of his Union Flag and St George Flag laying discarded by his own Monarch. I expected a few squeals from the English Imperialists but I must admit that the repeated squawks are delicious. Big Ger, Taxman100, youngcornwall and a few others will now regroup and come up with their Anglo centric comments but we all now know different. A picture speaks a thousand words and that picture, indeed many of them, showed our Cornish National Flag of St. Piran flown with equality alongside those of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Only two weeks ago, mockery and insult was thrown at our flag by the Anglo Imperialists. Now their Monarch has flown it and we shall not forget! The Flag represents an identity, Cornish, the Cornish people from Cornwall and those who wish to identify as such are on the map. We are not English nor can we be made to be against our wills. Not by the likes of Colonel Blimps and Imperialists now left weeping in their warm English beer.

• rosenwyn  |  June 04 2012, 7:29PM

Recognising peoples legal, cultural, religious and linguistic differences has got to be more forward thinking for society as a whole. If the Gloriana flying the Cornish flag makes a gesture towards this then the British Isles will be the richer for it. May the day come when i don't need to fight, argue and shed tears for my right to exist. For and eldery lady the Queen has made a significant youthful step towards a more modern inclusive society. It doesn't matter what the officail line is on this it is still monumental to Cornish history. To live on an Island where we can all recognise and respect each other plus celebrate our differences will be fantastic. Bring it on - that day can't come quick enough (but i'm afraid i'll have to wait a little longer yet. I just hope i live to see it).

• KernowGB  |  June 04 2012, 8:05PM

Perhaps this link might be of some help to Taxman100? http://tinyurl.com/7vrshyv .

• KernowGB  |  June 04 2012, 8:50PM

Another useful link for Taxman100 http://tinyurl.com/bvac2sg In the associated Wikipedia 'Talk' page there was also a reference to 2 sponsors flags.

• KernowGB  |  June 04 2012, 9:12PM

The link at 8:54PM appears to have been edited at the time that I was linking to it. The item that I was attempting to link to was moved to another wiki page re "Royal Barge" here: http://tinyurl.com/blahnl7 .

• ChipsOnFire  |  December 09 2012, 9:34AM

It's been hilarious reading all of the delightful ideas above, and very sweet that the Cornish think their county is something special. How nice it would be if everyone cared for their counties with the same enthusiasm! :-) Just for clarity though, a little bit of research reveals why the flag was actually there :-) http://tinyurl.com/cd7umfb

• H_Trevorrow  |  December 09 2012, 11:45AM

The Boat builder, Mr Edwards, confirmed there was no constituional inferance when opening the Mousehole sea salt sail festival.......it is very hugely funny reading the nats self indulgent folly.

• PaddyTrembath  |  December 09 2012, 11:46AM

Many thanks to ChipsOnFire for raising awareness of the way in which Cornwall, and its constitutional position, is being treated by bumping this thread 6 months back to the present.

• Truro_Kernow  |  December 09 2012, 12:19PM

There you have it - Cornwall, next to England, just like Wales as it always was, continues to be and always shall be despite the weak attempts of the trolls here. Kernow bys vyken!

• Slimslad  |  December 09 2012, 4:09PM

Why back to a subject that has "been in the pot" for over 6 months? "Well stewed" by now, one would have thought?

• youngcornwall  |  December 09 2012, 4:53PM

Yes this has just confirmed what we already knew, Cornwall is well and truly Royal, always has been and always will be as far as I can see.

• Big_Ger  |  December 11 2012, 9:41AM

I believe there was also a flag for the city of London, is that a country too? http://tinyurl.com/cwo9zhd I find it very odd that the Cornish Nationalists look to the Queens barge for validation of their hopes, they must be rather desperate.

• Truro_Kernow  |  December 11 2012, 11:05AM

Not as desperate as you bigger. The City of London Flag was flown as a mark of respect to the City of London. The National Flags of Scotland, Wales, England, the North of Ireland and Cornwall were flown in equal precedence. The 'royal' family would not have allowed such a thing if Kernow were not a Nation in it's own right. I realise that you are fairly challenged but even you know how protocol applies in respect of the 'royal' family. Link to nice photo of said 'royal' barge showing the National Flag of Kernow: http://tinyurl.com/7cp4xcz Kernow bys vyken!

• CallingtonFox  |  December 11 2012, 11:38AM

From the West Briton newspaper: "But hopes royalty may have recognised the county as a nation by flying it alongside Welsh, Northern Irish, Scottish and English flags have been sunk after it was explained as "innocent" and "nothing constitutional". But calls by the West Briton to Buckingham Palace, the Diamond Jubilee Pageant, the company representing the Gloriana and the Richmond boatbuilders have revealed the answer. Master boatbuilder Martin Edwards, whose ancestors the Curnows were boatbuilders from Penzance, said a number of the workforce on the Gloriana were Cornish. They included himself, painters from Falmouth and a boatbuilder known affectionately to the team as "Cornish Malcolm". Mr Edwards said: "It had been a subject of amusement all along the construction. "We very diplomatically worked on it with Lord Sterling and he very kindly granted the purchase of a St Piran's flag and saw that it was flown from one of the flag poles on the Gloriana." He saw the internet whirlwind the flying of the St Piran's flag created. "It does not infer anything more than that," Mr Edwards said. "It's not anything constitutional, it's all very innocent." But of course TK will never accept the truth.

• Slimslad  |  December 11 2012, 4:05PM

But of course TK will never accept the truth."? He would, if it came from the Patron Saint of Nationalists. John Angarrack LOL

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!