Login Register

Discussion

“Is it right that on housing benefit forms here in Cornwall that the Cornish are classed with Gypsies and Travelers?
There are the usual White British, Black British, White Irish, Asian etc then the Cornish are put with Gypsies and Travelers.
I for one concerer this a racist slur and it should be righted, can you imagine if they classed say Asian, Gypsies and Travelers as a choice.
Your thoughts”

By Mikeparkyn Posted: November 16, 2012

17 comments

17 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • Slimslad  |  November 16 2012, 9:46AM

"Cornish are classed with Gypsies and Travelers" "I for one concerer,(sic) this a racist slur" ? Why would you "consider"(?) "this a racist slur"?

• PaddyTrembath  |  November 16 2012, 10:27AM

Please confirm what you mean by "Classed with". As I understand it it is not an exercise in ethnic ranking, merely ethnic monitoring, to ensure that no ethnic group is treated any differently from any other.

• Cadoc  |  November 16 2012, 11:53AM

I have seen the form as a firend of mine lost his job after 15 years and was forced to claim Housing Benefit. He is really upset to claim it but has no other choice. I was very pleased that the Cornish had a tick box but then, the form is issued by Coenwall Council ultimately and they include Cornish as a National Identity on all monitoring forms. I don't mind seeing the tick box lower down the form. I would rather it be there as lumped in with 'White British' or 'English' etc. There is nothing at all wrong with Gypsy People or Travelling People. They are usually more open than many to us and I certainly know of two Gypsy people who speak Cornish.

• Lafrowda  |  November 16 2012, 12:00PM

Is there a place on this forum site for someone who wants to be recognised as Cornish but is not afraid of sharing his geographical location with other white British, a small minority of Asians, travellers & any other odds and sods who like the place and want to preserve its character ?

• Whyaskmethat  |  November 16 2012, 12:30PM

What on earth is the point of this thread. Cornish are "White British, assuming of course they are white, but whatever else they are British, so call yourself British other if you wish. Whatever they may wish to clam the fact is they are not a separate race, though their ancestry is Celtic, and ancestry that share with much of Britain and even English. I've never understood why any would want to separate themselves off from the rest of humanity. Do they think they are better than everyone else? If they do they are deluded. we are all human beings together.

• Cadoc  |  November 16 2012, 12:59PM

I am Cornish not English. No better than no worse than English but Cornish. A Scotsman is not English. A Welshman is not English. Nor am I. Yes I am a Briton and European. I am not sure about being a Celt but I am certainly Cornish. I am closer to a Welshman than an Englishman. The Western Morning News article here: http://tinyurl.com/c5ubpcf This is my legal right and this is why I always tick the Cornish tick box.

• Slimslad  |  November 16 2012, 2:18PM

"This a racist slur and it should be righted, can you imagine if they classed say Asian, Gypsies and Travelers as a choice." This outrageous statement has not been properly addressed by the usual band of Celts. Perhaps only Paddy Trembath has realised how much damage racism like this can cause.

• Cadoc  |  November 16 2012, 3:04PM

Perhaps you as an English troll should report it fishy! I expect you know how to!

• ColensoJory  |  November 16 2012, 3:10PM

I would have to agree with both PaddyTrebath and Slimslad on this one. What makes this a racial slur? Demanding we be put on an even level with the English, Welsh, Scottish, British etc. implies you assume Gypsies or Travellers to be of a lesser people. That makes you no better than those who deny our Cornish Nationality. We're all human, the order of such lists is merely that, the order of a list, it does not assign "betterness" to those higher up. Be thankful that there is a Cornish tick box, it's silliness like this that demeans the nationalist argument and validates any claims of "those crazy nats" being racist bigots.

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 16 2012, 4:27PM

I am happy that there is generally now a 'Cornish' tick box in our Country. I have no problems at all with those who are Gypsies or Travellers. Good luck to them! Kernow bys vyken!

• youngcornwall  |  November 16 2012, 4:57PM

We are all the same Gypsies Gorgers alike, and anyone else come to that.

• Slimslad  |  November 16 2012, 8:31PM

Still not addressing the obvious racism of this thread. Still fixated on their own agenda.

• Slimslad  |  November 16 2012, 8:39PM

Pride in your heritage, history and language is to be admired. However, the "We were here first, look at our DNA" view, smacks of an ideology which should be consigned to the dustbin of history. Lest we forget.

• Mikeparkyn  |  November 17 2012, 9:46AM

I may have put over my view wrongly, and those who know me will tell you that I would be the first to work, rest or play with any culture/race. What bugged me was the P/C brigade who created these forms, If they start or need to categorizee people wouldn't British or other please state! be good enough. What they have done is wrong-- Simple as. Mike

• Lafrowda  |  November 17 2012, 10:12AM

Careful Mikeparkyn, that sounds too close to common sense for this forum it might even be considered THE error to make i.e. reasonable.

• Slimslad  |  November 17 2012, 8:50PM

"I may have put over my view wrongly"? You did.

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 17 2012, 9:40PM

Grateful for a Cornish tick box. Which box do you tick in Cornwall, 'slimslad'? Kernow bys vyken!

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!