Login Register
 °

Discussion

“In recent years there has been a growing feeling that Cornwall should have its own heritage organisation, taking over from English Heritage. After all, how can a quango whose nearest office is in Bristol possibly understand issues in Hayle? If you look at its website, there is not one single reference to Camborne, Redruth or Hayle, even though our towns are at the heart of a World Heritage Site. Instead, what you get are pictures of pretty castles in the Home Counties. Cornwall's industrial heritage should be an attraction to the whole world, but it belongs to Cornwall, and Cornwall alone. It is time we started to make our own decisions about how best to bring it to life.”

By TheTruronian Posted: September 01, 2013

30 comments

30 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • AnBalores  |  September 01 2013, 9:13PM

I thoroughly agree!

• hereandthere  |  September 01 2013, 9:31PM

And, as Cornwall is a part of England, its heritage belongs to England.

• AnBalores  |  September 01 2013, 10:13PM

Cornish heritage 'belongs' to Cornwall, young man. I have searched the above posting and it forms part of an article written by George Eustice MP for Camborne Redruth and Hayle. A Conservative MP surprisingly but I agree with him. Please desist from flaming the site with deliberately provocative postings.

• hereandthere  |  September 01 2013, 11:09PM

Cornish heritage, AnBalores, is my heritage too and I live in a part of England that happens to be the County of Cornwall.

• IainS  |  September 02 2013, 9:47AM

George Eustice is quite correct. Cornish Heritage is both distinctive and is not English, it is ours and should be brought under one organisation situated right here in the Duchy. The report is here - http://tinyurl.com/d2qpsql

• hereandthere  |  September 02 2013, 4:33PM

IainS, the history and associated heritage varies from town to town and county to county, e.t.c, right across the Country, it all forms one whole that is English history and heritage. If you want to pretend otherwise that is up to you, though I wonder about your true motives for wishing this.

• Mestry  |  September 02 2013, 5:30PM

I am surprised that this is being called for by a Conservative MP but I think it is an excellent idea. We all know that Cornwall is quite different from England and I agree with the MP that the history and heritage is ours and not England's. I also agree with the Cornwall Council Committee that the new centre in Redruth should be the National Cornish Library. Cornwall is a Nation after all.

• Mestry  |  September 02 2013, 5:31PM

I also like the MP's headline and am very pleased that he says as much "Heritage is not English; it's ours" Well said Mr Eustice MP!!

• everywhere  |  September 02 2013, 5:34PM

Cornish heritage,Cornish language=English history and heritage???...what a goon you are nowhere man!!...Come call on me anytime,and dare to call me English!!!

• Taxman100  |  September 02 2013, 6:19PM

Cornwall is in England. Therefore, English Heritage. Only Cornish Nationalists would think differently - they represent about 2% of the electorate, and that is being generous. When you refer to our (Cornish) heritage, I hope you are not referring to mining? As our County's heritage is much, much, much broader than that! NB: George Eustace was elected with a majority of 66. If I was in his boots I too would pander to the local Nationalists for the extra few votes they could provide.

• TruroCornwall  |  September 02 2013, 6:32PM

...quite a few mistakes there Taxman100.....Cornwall is next to England but not part of it.......you have made a spelling mistake and written county instead of country.....note the extra r there......but that said......I never though I would find myself supporting a tory but in this case.....I do......Cornish Heritage is not English.....well said George Eustace tory MP

• everywhere  |  September 02 2013, 6:44PM

By your stupid reasoning Taxman,that makes the Cornish language,an English language???....Is Drake's drum beating in your head??...Living in fear of the Celtic heathen as always...Howl Pal!!...you cannot win!!

• Slimslad  |  September 02 2013, 6:47PM

"In recent years there has been a growing feeling that Cornwall should have its own heritage organisation,"? " growing feeling"? From whom, exactly?

• everywhere  |  September 02 2013, 7:16PM

Me for a start Slimslad!!...what do you want to make of it????

• Slimslad  |  September 02 2013, 7:44PM

"In recent years there has been a growing feeling that Cornwall should have its own heritage organisation,"? " growing feeling"? From whom, exactly?"

• everywhere  |  September 02 2013, 9:02PM

What do you want dimwit..a list of names??

• hereandthere  |  September 02 2013, 9:31PM

everywhere, I do not care what you want to call yourself and your post has no relevance to anything I have posted. You appear to be living in a parallel universe of your own making.

• hereandthere  |  September 02 2013, 9:33PM

Nationalists, living in a world of make believe and getting nowhere, they never will.

• Taxman100  |  September 03 2013, 4:29PM

hereandthere. You are right as usual. All we ever hear from the Cornish Nationalists, other than abuse, is, "Cornwall is a Country and not part of England. They can shout as loud as they like and waste their breath as Cornwall will always remain a part of England. Look at the voting pattern in the last General Election. The Nationalists gained 1.7% of the vote and every one of their candidates lost their deposit. Even the emerging UKIP polled well. After a hundred years of trying their best all they can muster is a measly, derogatory 1.7%. How long will it take them to become a real political force, a millennium or two, or more? No, not ever, the people of Cornwall will continue to exercise their democratic right to ensure they never succeed!

• TheTruronian  |  September 03 2013, 8:23PM

George Eustice who is a Tory MP believe in Cornish heritage. He is hardly a Nationalist. Cornish people vote many ways. Not only Mebyon but Green, Independent and Labour/Lib Dem all have politicians who believe that Cornwall is a Nation. You continue to talk a lot of rot Taxman100 but I would hardly expect different from a Westminster trained military man. I am glad your army is being cut back and P45 are being doled out. Ever ask yourself why? Because your sort aren't needed any more. Think on that one and watch as your military are cut more and more. Just not needed. Kernow, my Celtic Nation, next to England just like Wales.

• Big_Ger  |  September 03 2013, 8:47PM

So does this centre finally put paid to that "Cornish Genocide " nonsense that is put about?

• hereandthere  |  September 03 2013, 9:14PM

Belief is not and never has been fact. Believe what you want, including the 'celtic nation of Cornwall' myth, only reality matters.

• Slimslad  |  September 06 2013, 5:49PM

These people don't love Cornwall. They just hate being English.

• TruroCornwall  |  September 06 2013, 6:15PM

Love Kernow......am Cornish.....not English......recorded as Cornish on census.....at doctors......library.....etc.........and encouraged by Cornwall Council.....to record myself as such........which is my legal right.........Kernow......next to England......just like Wales

• TruroCornwall  |  September 06 2013, 6:19PM

Lys Kernow......official website entry.....Cornish National Identity......http://tinyurl.com/l4uk6fo reading for clowns

• TruroCornwall  |  September 06 2013, 6:20PM

2011 Census: Cornish identity 73,200, or 14% of the total population, stated in the 2011 Census that they have Cornish national identity Information on the Cornish National Identity is included in 2011 Census; An overview of the headline figures for Cornwall Background to Cornish and the Census The Census in 2001 was the first to enable people to identify themselves as Cornish under the White: British category, by writing in the word Cornish. In 2001, some 37,000 people recorded their ethnicity as Cornish. There was no specific tick-box category for Cornish in either the ethnic group or in the national identity questions in the 2011 Census, however, as in the 2001 Census, there were write-in options which provided the opportunity for people to describe themselves as Cornish, if they wished to do so. Statistics from the 2011 Census will include analysis of written-in responses. Anyone who recorded their national identity as Cornish using the write-in option will be coded, alongside anyone who recorded themselves as both British and Cornish (the national identity question allows for multiple identification). The main language question, available for the first time in the 2011 Census, also enabled Cornish people to record their language for the first time, and will therefore provide important statistics on the prevalence of the language in Cornwall. In the 2011 Census the three questions that apply to 'Cornish' were: 15. What is your national identity? 16. What is your ethnic group? 18 What is your main language ? During the Census period the Council put together a poster containing information on how people could complete their forms with 'Cornish' should they wish to do so. PDF icon Call yourself Cornish? 2011 Census Poster Cornish Census Release Update Anyone who recorded themselves as Cornish using the write-in option will be coded and for the first time, the Census (ONS) will be publishing Cornish statistics as part of the standard Census tables within the general release calendar. http://tinyurl.com/5tjs757

• thesearcher  |  September 28 2013, 4:09PM

Parliament and Brussels are making a mess of everything, I think we should have a chance, we have plenty of talent in our country of KERNOW, come on we should have more say in our everyday goings on, for our youngster future. we can do it.

• hereandthere  |  September 28 2013, 7:57PM

The county of Cornwall, I am sure has plenty of talent. Parliament is controlled by two parties six members of which come from Cornwall. Brussels is another kettle of fish all together.

• TruroCornwall  |  September 29 2013, 12:10AM

Slight typo there.....'hereandthere'........the CountRy of Cornwall.....which lays next to England....just like Wales....might have plenty of talent.....but we are under the English boot heel........still.....all Colonies break free......in the end

• hereandthere  |  September 29 2013, 1:31AM

I'm still living here, in the county of Cornwall, a part of England. Yep, it's good living in the real world. Thanks for dropping by, TruroCornwall.

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!