Login Register
 °

Discussion

“Why, oh why, oh why, do they do it?

Hard on the heels of the news that Mebyon kernow intends to stand Mike Champion as their candidate for member of parliament for the Camborne and Redruth constituency, we now find that for the Penzance / St Ives constituency they intend to stand Rob Simmons. They also intend to stand Stephen Richardson to contest the Truro and Falmouth constituency.

What do these three candidates for national seats have in common? They couldn’t even muster enough votes to get onto the county council!

At the last council elections, Stephen Richardson polled best with 25% of the votes in Illugan, coming in second place to the conservative candidate, Terry Wilkins, who claimed 29% of votes. Mike Champion came last out of four candidates. Rob Simmons can fifth out of six candidates with a measly 7% of votes. (Mike Champion stood in a Camborne by-election in 2011 and got 32 votes!)

Why stand Rob Simmons against Andrew George? Andrew George as we are frequently reminded by some, who swore his oath of allegiance to the Queen in Cornish, and is more Cornish nationalist than St Piran eating a pasty down a tin mine? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Can someone tell me why anyone would think that candidates who couldn’t get elected in a parochial county council election will somehow have a snowball’s chance of getting elected to the national parliament?

Seriously, does MK have money to burn? Do they enjoy throwing deposit money away! (And if so, can I have some please?)”

By Big_Ger Posted: February 08, 2014

14 comments

14 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • Big_Ger  |  February 09 2014, 9:55AM

"Mr George said, "Although Local Government Reform sounds rather tedious and boring to many, it does provide Cornwall with an opportunity to make a strong case to Government Ministers to bring powers back to Cornwall so that we can decide for ourselves how to direct our economy, our environment, our housing and planning policy, our policing and our health service." So why stand a guy against him, one who could only gain 97 votes in a county council election, when Mr George got 19,619 in a national one, (or over 200 the number of votes.) Utter madness.

• Taxman100  |  February 09 2014, 3:00PM

Big_Ger. It is better Mebyon Kernow tries rather than not try at all. Otherwise, I agree with your sentiment.

• rickoon  |  February 09 2014, 3:11PM

Why do you bother B_G? MK are only there to make up the numbers, if they didn't put someone up they would have less chance than they do now. Anyway it will be the peoples choice at the end of the day, get a few more non Cornish standing for MK and you could be singing a different tune B_G.

• rickoon  |  February 09 2014, 4:40PM

"you could be singing a different tune B_G." Singing a different Song. Playing a different "tune", silly me lol. You see we Cornish just haven't got it have we boy? Now don't go coming at me too hard you know lol.

• Big_Ger  |  February 10 2014, 7:58PM

"It is better Mebyon Kernow tries rather than not try at all." True, but trying in a way which will have no possible outcome, other than total humiliation, is just a recipe for disaster. Look at the last St Ives constituency result. Liberal Democrat Andrew George 19,619 Conservative Derek Thomas 17,900 Labour Philippa Latimer 3,751 UKIP Mick Faulkner 2,560 Green Tim Andrewes 1,308 Cornish Democrat Jonathan Rogers 396 Mebyon Kernow Simon Reed 387 Beaten by every other candidate, even the "Cornish Democrats", which no one has heard of before or since! Simon Reed, the MK candidate was then a big man in the party, he's since vanished off the political scene. (Health reasons I believe, though I did spot him on one of Rick Stein's cookery shows!) Let's look at Rob Simmons, the MK candidate's, election history; Penzance East - Tim Dwelly Labour 378 31% Elected Ruth Lewarne Liberal Democrat 358 29% Not elected Mick Faulkner UK Independence Party 194 16% Not elected Angela Elliott Conservative 124 10% Not elected Rob Simmons Mebyon Kernow 91 7% Not elected Michelle Paine Green Party 89 7% Not elected A man who could only poll 91 votes in a parochial election, is now standing against a well respected and established politician, one who got 19,000+ votes the last general election. Why don't they cut their losses and just throw all the MK weight, (such that is it is,) behind Mr Cole, he got nearly 4% of the votes last time. With all MK behind him, funding and campaigning for him, he may get 10%!! MK seen determined to remain a nonentity party, they seem to try to lose.

• Slimslad  |  February 11 2014, 7:24AM

"Why, oh why, oh why, do they do it? Ever thought it might be simply because these two could be contributing towards their own deposits?

• Big_Ger  |  February 11 2014, 8:42PM

I'm sure they would be, as MK has no great funding base. But still the question remains, why throw that money away? "Destiny guides our fortunes more favorably than we could have expected. Look there, Sancho Panza, my friend, and see those thirty or so wild giants, with whom I intend to do battle and kill each and all of them, so with their stolen booty we can begin to enrich ourselves. This is nobel, righteous warfare, for it is wonderfully useful to God to have such an evil race wiped from the face of the earth." "What giants?" Asked Sancho Panza. "The ones you can see over there," answered his master, "with the huge arms, some of which are very nearly two leagues long." "Now look, your grace," said Sancho, "what you see over there aren't giants, but windmills, and what seems to be arms are just their sails, that go around in the wind and turn the millstone." "Obviously," replied Don Quijote, "you don't know much about adventures." ― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

• Dyhanow  |  February 11 2014, 11:01PM

Aha... Tilting at Windmills!

• AnBalores  |  February 12 2014, 11:41AM

Ah, Bigger Slimeslad and their unhealthy obsessions!

• rickoon  |  February 12 2014, 1:02PM

"Ah, Bigger Slimeslad and their unhealthy obsessions!" What's up?..Ant they getting enough Greens down um LOL.

• Big_Ger  |  February 12 2014, 7:50PM

Greens are the only party who manage to make MK look good. They usually manage to come last instead of MK.

• hereandthere  |  February 13 2014, 5:11PM

The Green Party, the party of division (much to my surprise), is on the slide nation wide. It consistently polls a decreased share of the vote in by-elections everywhere.

• rickoon  |  February 13 2014, 6:19PM

Is there any wonder? Look who's putting up for them.

• hereandthere  |  February 13 2014, 7:09PM

"Is there any wonder? Look who's putting up for them." Yes. And I wonder what the divisionist Green Party make of 'Celtic Solidarity'? lol

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!