Login Register
 °

Discussion

“Have you ever been offended because you are Cornish? Or for what you want for Cornwall?

This thread is for genuine people who care.

If this goes unnoticed without any reply that will say more than a load of nothingness.

Cornish Lament

Away from it all now
my old body no longer of any use
No more tongues with venomous fangs
hurling their spite and abuse
Kernow was in my heart
and Cornish is all that I wanted to be
Keep on with the good fight
if not for others certainly for me.
yc”

By youngcornwall Posted: February 24, 2013

18 comments

18 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • TheTruronian  |  February 24 2013, 7:55PM

Yes I have. At school, I was told to lose my Cornish accent as it was said it made me sound thick. I was called a 'west Cornwall ***.' Later on, I was told this lettle rhyme by another who obviously intended to insult: 'Cornish born and Cornish bred, strong in the arm and thick in the head.' Further on in my life I have been called an 'inbred Cornishman'. I was also told I could not be Cornish but HAD to be English. I have also been told 'I should know my place in life as I was a carrot cruncher.' Now, I would be the first ocomplain as my identity is accepted and my accent returned.

• CallingtonFox  |  February 25 2013, 2:47AM

Those things you were told, about being thick and the name calling etc, were plain wrong and offensive. It sadly and wrongly happens throughout the country, 'thick northeners' or 'loose Essex women etc,etc; it does not detract from the wrongs done to you,but I deplore all the jibes made against my fellow country men, women and children when meant to be hurtful, regardless of where they live or come from.

• MapSerpren  |  February 25 2013, 11:25AM

When at College, I was called 'thick' many times because of my Cornish National Identity. 'Bit of a straw sucker' was also another common remark. I am often mocked now but more on line. Rarely do people say such things directly to my face.

• Chopper8  |  February 25 2013, 3:22PM

Yeh, living in London I lost count of the number of times I was asked if we had electricity in Cornwall, or whether my sister was also my Mother etc... etc... You get used to the really thick racists though, the knuckle dragging sweaty tattooed 'erberts of the BNP or EDL, at least their easy to spot and black and white (no pun intended) in their opinions - you know where you stand with them. Far, far more disturbing is the insidious racism of the white middle-class liberal types who wouldn't dream of offending any of what they'd perceive to be an accepted ethnic group (Asian, Afro-Carribean etc...) but feel it's perfectly acceptable to indulge in rampant Celtophobia, particularly when it comes to the Welsh and the Cornish - in which case, anything goes. Cornwall is sadly not lacking when it comes to these types - in fact, you'll find one or two who are, unfortunately, regulars on this board.

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 25 2013, 3:52PM

Yes i have been offended. Mostly by the attitudes displayed in this thread seeking to create a victim status out of what usually passes for inter regional banter. Is this all you have to offer Cornwall, Pathetic victimhood?

• ThomasFlamank  |  February 25 2013, 4:56PM

Ah the old inbreeding joke. Yes, I have had that one hurled at me many times when professing myself Cornish. Then one should remind the joker of the English Royal Family and their lineage and suddenly the joke goes sour. Then, 'oh you have phones down there, do you?' and yes, the occasional sheep joke. An amusing retort is to bring the discussion around to football and then plead ignorance of the English and their much vaunted win 46 years ago. The arrogance usually disappears about then.

• ThomasFlamank  |  February 25 2013, 4:58PM

I don't think you would understand H_Trevorrow. You are not Cornish, are you?

• Chopper8  |  February 25 2013, 6:24PM

I don't think you would understand H_Trevorrow. You are not Cornish, are you?" No, he just hides behind a Cornish name, even when asked to desist due to the embarrassment he continues to cause. In his warped mind it gives his anti-Cornish bile some sort of credibility. Pathetic, really.

• youngcornwall  |  February 25 2013, 6:39PM

"This thread is for genuine people who care. If this goes unnoticed without any reply that will say more than a load of nothingness." Steady up if you have had your say please.

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 25 2013, 7:13PM

Or just maybe........ I could be from the 90% of Cornwall county who reject the amatuer dramatics involved in being a pseudo Celt

• TheTruronian  |  February 25 2013, 7:23PM

Remember that white Britons are now a minority in London H_Trevorrow. Cornwall is a Celtic Nation as you well know and it would apparently seem that you are a pseudo Cornishman, would it not?

• TheTruronian  |  February 25 2013, 7:26PM

PS. your 'amatuer' should be spelt thus: A M A T E U R . I suggest you make up your posts on Word and apply a spelling and grammar check.

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 25 2013, 7:57PM

Keep going Truronian you only need to convert another three hundred odd thousand like me lol

• Carvath  |  February 25 2013, 8:47PM

I'd be more than surprised YC, if anyone took your questions seriously at all. I think most people just humour you.

• youngcornwall  |  February 25 2013, 9:04PM

Don't say that Mike, some of the postings are very touching and from the heart. Please tell us what was it that made you so bitter?

• Carvath  |  February 26 2013, 9:33AM

Rather over-imaginative with words there YC, you seem to be getting a bit carried away. Sore, aching sides from laughing would be a better description. Perhaps you could list some of your experiences for this thread, I'm afraid I don't have anything to add: most of my experiences about being Cornish have been positive.

• youngcornwall  |  February 26 2013, 10:12AM

by Carvath "Perhaps you could list some of your experiences for this thread" Yes just like you Mike my experiences have all been positive. It is sad that your joviality is confined to your side of the screen though, it certainly isn't coming over at all for others. How about you starting a new thread, you have yet to do so on here that I can recall, very good at criticising others and that is about it, I suppose you think that you have contributed something nipper lol.

• Big_Ger  |  February 27 2013, 7:45PM

I have been ribbed for being Cornish, it's not uncommon. But there again, neither is it uncommon for people to be ribbed for being Devonian, from Somerset, or Welsh or Scottish, or English, or of any the geographical grouping. The Irish catch it more than most. It's only those of a victim mentality, like the nationalist crowd, who take it as anything more than gentle humour.

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!