By Malc4 Posted: November 27, 2012

21 comments

21 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • PaddyTrembath  |  November 27 2012, 11:32PM

What a weird question.

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 28 2012, 12:10AM

I am sad to say that a survey on this website indicates not. Further, members of the Christian sect who own a guest house have passed judgement on gay people displaying bigotry common amongst many of those who post here. Fortunately, Cornish people, real ones not the faux ones on here who adopt Cornish names and who are struck down with the capitalistic greed of the Anglos who are afflicted by right wing near fascist views, but genuine Cornish people are accepting and tolerant of those who respect us in turn. Kernow bys vyken!

• Gurnards_Head  |  November 28 2012, 1:04PM

I would suggest that is very leading question designed to cause controversy for the sake of it. Cornwall is an incredibly inclusive place where every one of goodwill is welcome regardless of race colour or creed where bigotry in any form is totally unacceptable. As in everything in this life there will be those who while not bigots find certain practices unacceptable and choose to avoid them possibly because they are actually scared, gay people being a case in point, but at the end of the day we are all human and forced to share this earth so we should make the best of it and get along with each other. Those who offer services to the public are legally obliged not to discriminate so are obliged to accomodate gay people whether they like it or not, to refuse is to break the law with the potential consequences that inevitably implies. On the other hand I would imagine gay people would be quite attuned to recognising where or where not they are actually welcome and take any steps necessary to relocate to accomodation where they are very welcome. To be accomodated where the atmoshere is unwelcoming is the worst of all worlds for anyone of any sexual orientation, unfortunately anecdotal evidence appears to suggest that minority of establishments are like this, hopefully sufficient guests would vote with their feet and wallets to ensure that their survival is short term.

• Malc4  |  November 28 2012, 4:24PM

.. I' have to say that us gay people are just they same as those straight people. .. Hmmm thank for getting back to me ..

• barrtribe  |  November 28 2012, 8:30PM

Gay or not; all people are welcome, the problem is when one group of people try to force their views on another forcing that group to compromise their own beliefs. Each of us have a way of living that is right for.

• Slimslad  |  November 28 2012, 9:02PM

" Fortunately, Cornish people, real ones not the faux ones on here who adopt Cornish names and who are struck down with the capitalistic greed of the Anglos who are afflicted by right wing near fascist views," This made me laugh.

• Slimslad  |  November 28 2012, 9:03PM

"Cornwall is an incredibly inclusive place where every one of goodwill is welcome regardless of race colour or creed where bigotry in any form is totally unacceptable." Tell them about the "exclusive" DNA.

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 28 2012, 9:57PM

Tell them about your EDL leaning bigotry you mean, fishy? All welcome to call themselves Cornish, the DNA proving us to be a non English race but nevertheless welcoming the 'new' Cornish. Kernow bys vyken!

• JJLee  |  November 29 2012, 7:43AM

It's not the answers which are important, just the questions, why ask such a question, exactly.

• Malc4  |  November 29 2012, 3:21PM

J.j Lee. It was just a question . Just that we are moving to cornwall really ..

• JJLee  |  November 29 2012, 4:10PM

My experience of people who move into Cornwall from larger cities is they find the locals very inquisitive, when they are just being open. The Cornish in general are not judgemental. I would relax and enjoy the new way of life and not feel judged and you should enjoy it down here, except for the inquisitive nature people are no different than any part of England. We are far from bigot free but with less people around us, you will find more than enough space to avoid these characters that enjoy bullying anyone who is different from what they are used too and that is the key for you. Some see a difference as a challenge when others view it a as an experience. Personally I do not think people need to know, let them judge you as people in your own rights rather being a gay couple from up the road

• Malc4  |  November 29 2012, 6:00PM

JjLee. It's very true indeed. We are not a judgemental couple nor are we city type we are getting away from the dazzling fog that is the city for the enriched life of the beautiful par.. We are both writers but of different sorts . And we are hard workers too.. . Jjlee. You seem like the kinda person sum one cud have a good natter to .. ???

• youngcornwall  |  November 29 2012, 7:25PM

Just out of interest Malc4 do you have an opinion on this? "The number of gay and bisexual men being diagnosed with HIV in the UK reached an "all-time high" in 2011, according to the Health Protection Agency (HPA)." http://tinyurl.com/ce2pv9x

• Malc4  |  November 29 2012, 8:37PM

Well. Yes I do .. The number. Of straight men and women. Are also on the increase . As for the. Gay men and bi Well its very sad. That still today men and women are being stupid with their body .thats all really

• Malc4  |  November 29 2012, 8:38PM

Sad.

• JJLee  |  November 30 2012, 7:55AM

"all-time high" amazing what science can do, perhaps one day they can invent a pill to cure Homophobia. I always liked the idea of the everlasting gobstopper.

• youngcornwall  |  November 30 2012, 9:15AM

"I always liked the idea of the everlasting gobstopper." Also glasses for the blind to lead the blind. Thanks Malc4, yes it is very sad.

• Malc4  |  November 30 2012, 9:57AM

Hmm. So youngcornwal. And jj I take. There is abit of word battle going on here . I must say that I too enjoy a good word battle .. My back story is born in croydon south London . Fathers father father from Cornwall st. Just Cornwall. Mothers side. Spainish meets greek .. Family used to vote con until I voted green ...oh I didnt go to uni unlike my partner did .. I worked hard from 15. Until now ..... End off .. I'm a writer of sitcoms and stage and poems . I'm currently in the midst of writing a sitcom .. And yes i don't use full stops. Or cap as I believe writting shud never have rules

• youngcornwall  |  November 30 2012, 12:48PM

"Hmm. So youngcornwal. And jj I take. There is abit of word battle going on here." No word battle from this end, I merely follow my Christian beliefs knowing the battle was won on the Cross when Jesus said "It is Finished".

• JJLee  |  November 30 2012, 1:34PM

More a light hearted fact finding mission on my part, YC's comment seemed like an odd contribution at such a juncture, rationale now confirmed. I have no time for organised religion. People claim an all loving god. A god who has started more fights and division than anything on our planet. Meaning either they do not listen or the message is wrong. Religion realism over for JJ steps outside.

• Malc4  |  November 30 2012, 1:55PM

God he was and is a very interesting person .. Jesus on the other hand is master of magic .. Only child mother lived on her own. .. Christian life style is abit twisted at times .. But I do think that it's will of mind to have faith that is just in books of fiction .. ..

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!