Login Register

Discussion

“I have been encouraging individuals to register with 'Transceltic' as Kernow, being a Celtic Nation, is a full member.

It draws its resources from several organisations, the Celtic Congress, Celtic League and many others as well as National organisations within the six Celtic Nations.

I know several Bards are contributing and many others from the diaspora so why not have a read and start contributing?

A link here: http://tinyurl.com/b4qxjeh

Enjoy!”

By ThomasFlamank Posted: February 14, 2013

83 comments

83 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • MapSerpren  |  February 20 2013, 7:28PM

Good to see our very own Dr. Alan Kent's book 'Celtic Cornwall' as well as Cornish historian Craig Weatherhill's 'Cornovia' advertised on this great inter Celtic site.

• CallingtonFox  |  February 20 2013, 7:45PM

Yes, two of the most unbiased authors one could have for a subject. The use of Celt and Celtic to describe any people is coming under increasing scrutiny for good reasons; you can apply the terms all manner of historical tribes.

• TheTruronian  |  February 20 2013, 8:14PM

I have books by both authors. I also own a book entitled 'The Celts' by Professor Sir 'Barry' Cunliffe CBE, Oxford University as well as many others. And your qualifications CallingtonFox would be? What books have you written?

• CallingtonFox  |  February 20 2013, 8:37PM

Do I need to write books to be able to know and understand things? No. If you can not accept that what Celt and Celtic means is being challenged by other academics then that is your look out. Once upon a time learned people told us that smoking was good for our health, it was a good job that notion was challenged isn't it? Much of what has been accepted as truth has been challenged and rightly so, the subject of Celts and Celtic is now under scrutiny; this is good, now that some are trying to use being 'Celtic' as a means to gain 'rights' and recognition. Truth is all that matters, one can not expect a building to stand on pretend foundations.

• Chopper8  |  February 20 2013, 8:46PM

@Truronian; You'll soon realise that Callington Fox employs a rather unique 'debating' style in which he starts from a preconceived and heavily biased world view, disregards or ignores any factual evidence that may show the flaws in said viewpoint, then pronounces that he's considered all the evidence and found nothing that anyone has written or said anywhere, anytime, has lead him to change his opinion on the matter. I warn you,from bitter experience, save your time and don't bother debating with a closed mind. Good book,BTW - Cunliffe is a very accessible author and internationally respected on all matters Celtic. Mr Fox is not.

• TheTruronian  |  February 20 2013, 9:13PM

Thanks Chopper8. Rarely have I witnessed such anti Cornish bile as on this forum. Today as a result of a circular email received regarding a poster traced to this forum who appears on a mission to destroy single handedly the Cornish Language and with it five jobs in Cornwall Council, I registered here. I am utterly horrified! These posters have the biggest chips on their shouders I have ever witnessed. And to have academics the likes of Alan Kent and Barry Cunliffe cast to one side is unbelievable! Craig Weatherhill's books are in our schools. Yet the respect this field archeologist is shown is beneath contempt. I am currently part way through 'The Celts' by Dr. Simon James, University of Leicester. Doubtless, his studies will also be cast to one side! Which leads me to wonder about these posters. When CallingtonFox posted, I thought he might be writing from a position of knowledge. You say he does not. So who is he compared to the likes of Kent, Cunliffe, Weatherhill, James and others? A biaised nobody, one would assume? I have today emailed the Council to inform them about this forum. Some of what is written here verges on libel! I have also written a very strongly worded letter to the West Briton. I assume that newspaper is aware of this site? Thanks again for the heads up though but I for one refuse to bow to uncontrolled anti Cornish bullying as witnessed here! I trust you agree - well I hope so?

• Slimslad  |  February 20 2013, 9:17PM

These folk always resort to personal insult, or threaten to "expose your real identity".

• Carvath  |  February 20 2013, 9:20PM

Truronian your post sums up the situation with these trolls perfectly. Perhaps they are suffering from Celtophobia: http://tinyurl.com/aydk9pd Many of them are cast-offs from Cornwall24 and have never recovered from the sour grapes of that forum's "bums rush". Not one of them has any knowledge of Cornwall or the Cornish worth reading.

• Slimslad  |  February 20 2013, 9:24PM

Alan Kent, Craig Weatherhill, John Angarrack, et al (?) 20th century historians that challenge thousands of years of history. With no other agenda.

• CallingtonFox  |  February 20 2013, 9:34PM

Anti-Cornish bile! Just because I, and others, challenge what you believe in, who do you think you are? I am NOT anti-Cornish, I am PRO-TRUTH, get that into your brain; I am not burying my head in the sand and have been taking all these things very seriously. However, if you truly think I am being 'anti-Cornish' report me to the authorities; I have nothing to fear, do you?

• Chopper8  |  February 20 2013, 9:35PM

by CallingtonFoxWednesday, February 20 2013, 9:05PM Chopper8, thank you for being so bloody rude; if you do not understand what I have been trying to say, tough, your arrogance is breathtaking. I do not give a monkey's backside what you think about 'Cunliffe', but whoever they are they are not above being challenged, none of us are.'' My arrogance!!! Coming from the man who consistently evades, obfuscates and never gives a straight answer to a straight question, refuses to accept a definition from the OED and thinks himself more knowledgeable than peer reviewed acclaimed historians,that really takes the biscuit! The other trolls may be nasty, petty minded and vindictive but you take first prize in the pomposity stakes, I've never come across a poster so completely sure of their own self-certainty and self importance - you are arrogance personified! Any chance of an answer to this question that's been put to you on numerous occasions on a thread that you started in( another attempt to scaremonger) on the CMR, or are you going to dodge this one again as well? by CarvathMonday, February 18 2013, 8:40AM "CallingtonFox, despite your spin and waffle, you have not shown any of the points made in the document to be false or shaky, as you put it. For someone who started this thread, especialy with a title like you gave it, I would have expected something a bit more definitive."

• Chopper8  |  February 20 2013, 9:39PM

by SlimsladWednesday, February 20 2013, 9:17PM "These folk always resort to personal insult, or threaten to "expose your real identity"." Don't worry, Geordie boy, no one down here can afford the fuel to make it all the way to Newcastle, so your quite safe to continue persuing your unhealthy obsession from afar.

• CallingtonFox  |  February 20 2013, 10:03PM

Chopper8, if you can not be bothered to take in anything I have posted on this subject over the months then that is your problem. Am I wrong about what and who the Celts were being challenged by academics? You did not answer that, did you, why? Just because you think I should take everything you and other like minded people have posted, regardless of source, as gospel then I feel sorry for you. Have you not taken the trouble to see the other side? You see, despite your vitriol regarding me, I truly have been researching, including using sources from the nationalist points of view, is that closed minded? I challenge you to try and prove yourself wrong, that is what I have done regarding myself, all along; but then, I am not afraid to learn.

• Slimslad  |  February 20 2013, 11:13PM

Don't worry, Geordie boy, no one down here can afford the fuel to make it all the way to Newcastle, so your quite safe to continue persuing,(sic)your unhealthy obsession from afar." Memories.

• Slimslad  |  February 20 2013, 11:21PM

Truronian, what is this nonsense? "Verges on the libelous"? "Utterly horrified"? "Strongly worded letter"? Oh, Please.!

• Slimslad  |  February 20 2013, 11:24PM

Please, Trurorian, post any examples of any posts where I have, personally, been "libelous, or even mildly rude? Pass the smelling salts!.

• Chopper8  |  February 21 2013, 12:09AM

So, Callington Fox,once again no answer to the question you were asked about page 19 of the Cornish National Minorities report , the report which you went to the trouble of instigating a separate thread about warning all and sundry of the perceived ''dangers'' of rightfully recognising the Cornish as a separate group? Instead, inevitably (yawn), unable to furnish a response, you come back with a question of your own - completely unrelated to the one which you were originally requested to answer. Avoidance and evasion yet again? Well, who'd have thought it? it's your MO, and getting rather boring...

• CallingtonFox  |  February 21 2013, 12:59AM

Just go read my posts, Chopper8, I have been answering that question over and over for months.

• Tstrunk  |  February 21 2013, 8:20AM

Chopper8 not only has Callingtonfox answered that question he has also questioned its motive, made interesting points and done so in a reasoned way. You are the one going round in circles but as many of us know, unable to deal with truth that doesn't suit you e.g such as a study that shows that the people of these islands are genetically very alike... Re-read his posts and respected his point of view would stop you looking like a troll. Further the people of Cornwall need to be the ones deciding the outcome of Cornwall not a few who have written a report that represents their own views, no one has ask the electorate ever if they support this and it is certainly not of the people but only a few who choose for themselves and when we had the chance to choose such ideas we have rejected them think on what happens to MK and the like at the ballet box, that speaks more than any report, the CORNISH people rejected their idea of Cornwall. Nationlist will constantly attempt to separate a Cornish from English way of life in an attempt to be hostile, but for us living in Cornwall that has never being the case and looking at history over the last few hundred years shows a very united part of England.

• TheTruronian  |  February 21 2013, 8:50AM

That is an substantial 'cut and paste' from Simon James' website isn't it? He does not deny the fact that the Celts existed and continue so to do though. I am one. We are Celts for many reasons but one is the understanding and use of a Celtic Language. I have noted that you like to cut and past from websites. In one such case, you argued that Cornwall and England were one and the same because is a 'shared' history. Many places have shared histories of course. Scotland, Ireland, Wales and more all have 'shared hisories' with England. That does not make the English. Another academic, Peter Beresford Ells has written extensively on 'Celtica'. I see that he is covered on the TransCeltic site. The Celts existed and do exist. I have read enough to know that. Exaining forum rules, I note that cutting and pasting is a breach of forum rules. It may also be a breach of copyright.

• Chopper8  |  February 21 2013, 10:11AM

by TstrunkThursday, February 21 2013, 8:20AM "Chopper8 not only has Callingtonfox answered that question he has also questioned its motive, made interesting points and done so in a reasoned way. You are the one going round in circles but as many of us know, unable to deal with truth that doesn't suit you '' ''Truth that doesn't suit you'''!! Ye Gods! Err, are you perchance familiar with the term QED? ''e.g such as a study that shows that the people of these islands are genetically very alike... Re-read his posts and respected (sic) his point of view would stop you looking like a troll.'' Yes and have you read the latest study from Peter Donnelly, professor of statistical science at Oxford University and director of the Wellcome Trust centre for human genetics? ''"The people of Wales and Cornwall are different from the rest of southern and central England." ''The Cornish were also shown to have a distinctive DNA make-up, different to those from the neighbouring county Devon.'' That, taken from that establishment bastion ''The Daily Telegraph'', hardly recognised as a cheerleader for local recognition or devolution. You - or your fellow ''truth seeker'' Mr Fox - might even have read the original, I can imagine the 'Torygraph' being a paper that suits. That's the issue here, one mans 'truth' is another mans 'trolling' but when it comes to hard facts, personally I'd rather turn to an eminently respected historian than some anonymous internet blogger with ''issues''. Just how I prefer to operate - of course, others obviously have differing ideas. Oh, and before the usual village idiots rush to invoke Godwin's Law, I'd better reiterate once again for the hard of thinking - different people, different origins, different history. Not 'superior' or ''better'', but something to be encouraged. Grey, ****geneous uniformity - no thanks.

• Big_Ger  |  February 21 2013, 10:35AM

That would be the Peter Donnelly who said; "these genetic differences that the project has found across the British Isles are small. We are far more genetically alike than we are different." Also worth noting is that Prof Donnelly did not say the Welsh and Cornish gene similarities were the same; "On the genetic map of Britain, Cornish people clustered separately from those from Devon, while the Scottish and Irish tended to share the same DNA markers. Those in South Wales formed a group, while there were separate clusters in the Welsh borders and in Anglesey in North Wales. People in Orkney were different from everyone else."

• Big_Ger  |  February 21 2013, 10:44AM

While we're talking about the "Celtic" gene remember the research done by Prof Bodmer on the "Celtic" gene? That gene appeared in 26 per cent of the population of Orkney, 23 per cent of Devon, 21 per cent of Wales, 16 per cent of Cornwall, 13 per cent of Kent.

• Tstrunk  |  February 21 2013, 10:47AM

So it a question of race? Bingo, sorry not everyone can then join the club or should that matter? Where does that now leave the rest of us, come should it matter? However I read this and agree that is what he has found. But Cornwall isn't a race based area or are you saying it is. Britain has a great number of different people from all over the world like America, are you saying you have to be pure Cornish or something? Since round the 1850's democracy has given us the freedom of choice, a choice like we never had before, are you preferring to want to remove that freedom? That is the really problem with this idea of Cornwall and 'the minority report' it does not focus on what the people wish, if it does show me who asked the people what they thought. The idea of a pure race of Cornish people is what you are putting forward could leave many people out of the picture and even the professor has said while there was traces of migrant groups across the the UK there were "FEWER" in Cornwall, and why should this matter politlally to the people who now live in Cornwalll? QED=question, Explore, Discover.

• Carvath  |  February 21 2013, 11:13AM

This thread has become a repository for rampant Celtophobia/Xenophobia : the fear of anything slightly different with any degree of diversity sends them into turmoil and crass talk/daft examples. Cherry-picking context dodgers, out-of-date genetic ideas long surpassed by improved methods of analysis and interpretation, pathetic deniers and nit-pickers, attempted debunkery and faux deconstructors, 'tis all here. Some links lead to sites that look as though they come off the back of cornflake packets or have fallen out of a Xmas cracker. The blind dismissal of the opinions of well-known authors, elected politicians of all hues and experienced archaeologists and Cornish language experts all suffer from this bunch of dinosaurs. I'm sure they know who they are.

• Chopper8  |  February 21 2013, 12:22PM

Oh, and before the usual village idiots rush to invoke Godwin's Law, I'd better reiterate once again for the hard of thinking - different people, different origins, different history. Not 'superior' or ''better'', but something to be encouraged. Grey, ****geneous uniformity - no thanks." by TstrunkThursday, February 21 2013, 10:47AM "So it a question of race? Bingo, sorry not everyone can then join the club or should that matter? Where does that now leave the rest of us, come should it matter?'' ''Bingo' indeed. Back to the village you go...

• Tstrunk  |  February 21 2013, 12:31PM

I never picked 1850 as a cherry but hold it as point of true democracy, which seems lacking in any report you hold as a representation of the people. No one has asked the people as yet their thoughts and if you hold a report up and say this how it should be in a Cornwall then i fail to see the point you are making as it is the people that should choose, if you don't agree state your case, please as why this hasn't and should involve a democratic process. Clear you have a dictorship idea of what good for the people. There nothing wrong with being in a village as long you have a vote, bard...

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 21 2013, 12:52PM

''grey homogenous uniformity'' sums up for me everything about the cornish revsionists. You could not make them more drab and unappealling if you tried...on st pirans mock day one is encouraged to wear black and white....the decorations are similarly depressing. As a brand cornish nationalism presents itself as dour ,uninspired and morbid. You could have more fun at a funeral.

• Big_Ger  |  February 21 2013, 8:02PM

This forum has become a repository for rampant Anti-English sentiment : the fear of anything slightly English with truth sends them into turmoil and crass talk/daft examples

• Big_Ger  |  February 21 2013, 8:08PM

As I said before in five pages there were 101 discussions, 75 of which were started by Cornish nationalists on Cornish nationalism. Yet they have the gall accuse anyone having a different view of being "rampant." 13 out of 30 messages here are pro-nationalism, yet as they have written only half, no nationalists are rampant. The nationalists rely on only unsubstantiated myths here, but when people leave verifiable facts these are ignored or discounted. They do not see what their own do here, and afeared of any different answers.

• youngcornwall  |  February 21 2013, 8:48PM

"The nationalists rely on only unsubstantiated myths here, but when people leave verifiable facts these are ignored or discounted." Well what do you expect B_G, you and others are giving them now more than what they deserve, the recognition that they so much hunger for. Let them start threads and talk amongst themselves and see how far they would get, but I suppose there is that element of enjoyment and fun in their stubbornness lol.

• Carvath  |  February 21 2013, 10:01PM

Like I sai here B_G and YC: "This thread has become a repository for rampant Celtophobia/Xenophobia : the fear of anything slightly different with any degree of diversity sends them into turmoil and crass talk/daft examples. Cherry-picking context dodgers, out-of-date genetic ideas long surpassed by improved methods of analysis and interpretation, pathetic deniers and nit-pickers, attempted debunkery and faux deconstructors, 'tis all here. Some links lead to sites that look as though they come off the back of cornflake packets or have fallen out of a Xmas cracker. The blind dismissal of the opinions of well-known authors, elected politicians of all hues and experienced archaeologists and Cornish language experts all suffer from this bunch of dinosaurs. I'm sure they know who they are." Read more: http://tinyurl.com/a3vhuo8 Follow us: @thisiscornwall on Twitter | thisiscornwall on Facebook They do know who they are.

• PaddyTrembath  |  February 21 2013, 10:51PM

Big_Ger, in those 5 pages you quote, there was 1 poster who has started a large number of threads, 1 person. So, it would seem that your gripe is about 1 individual, who happens to hold a "nationalist" viewpoint, and not Nationalists in general. Of the other threads on those 5 pages, they are pretty evenly spread between "Nationalist" "non Nationalists and threads on other subjects not nationalist related. Therefore, it would seem that "your" side of the issue, is as prolific in attempting to get their viewpoint across as the Nationalist "side". Puts a slightly different perspective on your little rant, yes?

• CallingtonFox  |  February 22 2013, 12:27AM

When were the people of Cornwall balloted on having Cornwall labelled a 'Celtic Nation'? Even disregarding the Celtic mythology behind it, since when has it been alright to bypass the democratic process and foist this label on the people who live here?

• TheTruronian  |  February 22 2013, 7:49AM

When were the people of Great Britain balloted on wars all around the world CallingtonFox? Our friends in Westminster created those. Our history has made Cornwall a Celtic Nation. And have you ever read those books I recommended? Your answers are there. (authors: Kent, Beresford Ellis, Cunliffe, Stoyle - all University lecturers bar one and apparently all better qualified than you from what I have been informed here. That list is not exhaustive, incidentally)

• TheTruronian  |  February 22 2013, 8:17AM

Slimslad - do go away and grow up. You will be well aware as I am that this forum is moderated and offending posts are swiftly removed. I am not interested in your silliness.

• youngcornwall  |  February 22 2013, 9:32AM

"No wonder the Cornish nationalist cause fails so badly to attract people, as soon as it comes up against differing views it falls apart and starts playing the victim." For the simple reason those so called nationalist on here are not representing any Nationalist party B_G, get that clear in your head and you will probably not take them so seriously in the future. What I will say, and have said many times before the nats on here are tarring MK and any other reputable Nationalist with the same brush. Until MK has the strength of their convictions to put someone up on here and say they represent MK they will keep on being tarred with that same brush, and keep depriving the people of Cornwall the worthwhile Cornish political party that they deserve.

• Carvath  |  February 22 2013, 9:42AM

CallingtonFox, how can one "vote" for a people's documented culture and history?

• Tstrunk  |  February 22 2013, 10:23AM

Carvath, Lol for once I am going to leave my smart phone a side and answer this seriously from my "PC" here goes,(sugar, will they trace me) Cuckhoo-land rubbish, you can't, why? Because what it means in practice is that once you start encouraging all manner of minority groups by telling them that their cultural ideas, mores, values and moral codes are equally "valid" in the "host" culture, then what's inevitably going to happen is that you're going to end up with a cuckoo-in-the-nest situation in which the loudest, most aggressive and most strident minority groups are going to start demanding more and more prominence, concessions and "rights" and will then go running to the courts moaning about their "human rights" being violated once they get challenged. They end up using our own "tolerance" against us and undermining the "host" society from within. Resulting in more disharmony and resentment, not less. The complete opposite of what was originaly intended.

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 22 2013, 11:07AM

Our history clearly shows Cornwall to be part of the domain of England only slightly later than England became a united entity. 1066 it was created an earldom not by the cornish but by english.After the Norman onquest Cornwalls manors were gifted to Norman lords...no authority exsisted in Cornwall it was alaways vested outside to who ever ruled England...fact.... a thousand years of England having complete power in Cornwall. The people termed celtic migrated here themseles. You cannot just airbrush out of history inconvenient truths of earlier settlement. Cornwalls history could be divided into three main parts. 1 neolithic to iron age...immigrants from what is now europe. 2 about a thousand years later what some call celts...again immigrants from europe and 3 subsummation into England....for the past thousand years. Celtic revivalism is a Victorian romantic invention.

• Big_Ger  |  February 22 2013, 11:22AM

"Big_Ger, in those 5 pages you quote, there was 1 poster who has started a large number of threads, 1 person. So, it would seem that your gripe is about 1 individual, who happens to hold a "nationalist" viewpoint, and not Nationalists in general." Nice attempt to misdirect there Paddy, BUT, I didn't see any of you nationalists disagreeing with his profoundly racist views. In fact he got a lot of support in them from the nationalists.

• Carvath  |  February 22 2013, 11:25AM

"H_Trevorrow", I think our Celtic Brythonic language and place names were around a bit before Victorian times.

• PaddyTrembath  |  February 22 2013, 12:52PM

No misdirection from me there Big_Ger, 1 person, most of the threads. Show me where I have supported any "racist" views?

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 22 2013, 3:27PM

Carvath, so glad you at last agree that cornwall was subsumed into england nigh on a thousand years ago. Moving on from that we can rightly classify yourself as English, whilst also recognising you are at the same time of Cornwall ie Cornish.The two things are not mutually exclusive. As to weather you have any anglo saxon or other genetic makeup will remain a mystery until you have a full genetic examination in the meantime you are perfectly free to dress up like a druid and call yourself a celt or whatever other hsistorical tribal alliance takes your fancy.

• CallingtonFox  |  February 22 2013, 3:36PM

Typically deflective answers from two people to my questions. Who gave permission for the County of Cornwall to be described as a 'Celtic Nation'? Why is it alright to bypass democracy whilst assuming the majority of people living here will approve? It is a direct attempt to get some kind of legitimisation of a cause via the back door.

• youngcornwall  |  February 22 2013, 4:56PM

by PaddyTrembath "Show me where I have supported any "racist" views?" Is this "racist" enough? LOL P_Trembath "No sport where England are participating should be allowed to waste broadcasting time, England should be banned from TV."

• youngcornwall  |  February 22 2013, 5:33PM

Very impolite of me not putting up the link sorry. http://tinyurl.com/b44ffmk

• PaddyTrembath  |  February 22 2013, 7:29PM

YC, once again, out of context, and extremely out of date. So in answer to your question, NO, it is not even remotely racist. Tell me, do you keep all my posts on other sites saved to your "favorites", or do you sit there and plough through all my posts, on other sites, until you find one you feel you can extract something, out of context, to attempt to prove a point. I'm sure that if you spend a few more hours of your life looking through my past postings on other sites, you will be able to find something else to take completely out of context. After all, you only went back as far as 2008 for that last one. Have you tried looking through the old BBC Cornwall board yet? You never know, you might find something there. You clearly have so much spare time on your hands, perhaps you could have a look after nursey brings around your plastic cup of tea, and before lights out. If you read the rest of the post, you will see that I was making a point about professional sport in general, in a thread entitled "England Football", and the broadcasting of it on TV. But then, you never were able to follow a conversation, were you.

• youngcornwall  |  February 22 2013, 8:02PM

by PaddyTrembath "YC, once again, out of context, and extremely out of date. So in answer to your question, NO, it is not even remotely racist." Not out of context at all, the link clearly shows that. No I do not keep your posts, I have said before, you have got a silly knack of putting your big foot in it LOL. by PaddyTrembath "I can quite honesty, and without any embarrassment, or fear of displaying any form of partisanship, [size=large]When England are playing football on the TV, I turn it off, and moan about the complete waste of my licence money. England's football matches should never be broadcast on any TV channel, except one dedicated to football alone. In fact, No sport where England are participating should be allowed to waste broadcasting time, England should be banned from TV.[/size]" Out of context NO. Shall we let others form their own opinion. by PaddyTrembath "In fact, No sport where England are participating should be allowed to waste broadcasting time, England should be banned from TV.[/size]"

• TheTruronian  |  February 22 2013, 8:30PM

This thread is going round and round in ever decreasing circles isn't it? Such deniers have one mission and that is plain. I am very pleased that having shown the Cornish Language Officer some of the utterly ridiculous comments made about Cornish hereon, she utterly dismissed the posts and misinformation contained with them. Our history has made Cornwall a Celtic Nation. And have you ever read those books I recommended? Your answers are there. (authors: Kent, Beresford Ellis, Cunliffe, Stoyle - all University lecturers bar one and apparently all better qualified than you from what I have been informed here. That list is not exhaustive, incidentally)"

• TheTruronian  |  February 22 2013, 8:32PM

And incidentally, in not supporting the sporting teams of England does not qualify as racism. Personally, I support Wales.

• CallingtonFox  |  February 22 2013, 10:06PM

Funny enough, I too support Wales if they are not playing England, even if they are though I still have no ill feeling against them because I respect them. I also support Northern Ireland and Scotland because these teams are a part of the UK, as am I. I would never, ever want one of them to lose just because they are not English.

• Chopper8  |  February 23 2013, 1:22AM

by CallingtonFoxFriday, February 22 2013, 10:06PM "Funny enough, I too support Wales if they are not playing England,'' Whereas I would support Wales. Not because I ''hate'' the English, simply because I relate to them more and Wales have always been 'my' team. However, tomorrow, as both player and lover of the game - I shall be giving the England team my wholehearted support - as I would any of the 'home nations' against France or Italy. Doesn't 'make me English' though.

• CallingtonFox  |  February 23 2013, 2:12AM

Chopper8, when have I told you that you are English? I have stated that factually this is England; totally different concepts. I have also argued against what some say being 'Cornish' means, how they come to that conclusion, I do not deny that. But, if you want to call yourself 'Cornish' not 'English' that is, as I have said many times already up to you; you can call yourself anything you want. The rest of your post about supporting England is good and not actually a surprise to me; it is also the country you live in of course.

• youngcornwall  |  February 23 2013, 9:39AM

by CallingtonFox "Funny enough, I too support Wales if they are not playing England," This isn't just footfall banter it goes deeper than that. For someone to openly say they are not English and then to be credited with saying "In fact, No sport where England are participating should be allowed to waste broadcasting time, England should be banned from TV.[/size]" It is easy to see why the phrase "nasty nats" was coined. It was not just confined to football, but "all" "sport where England are participating".

• PaddyTrembath  |  February 23 2013, 11:23AM

YC, keep trying. You are right however, it was not "football banter", I have no particular liking for football, so have no interest in joining in with any banter associated with it. It was a comment on "sport" in general, it was a comment on the assumption made in the OP that everyone should be running about, singing the praises of the "England" football team, purely because it was the "England" football team, because "England" are the best, etc, etc, etc. It was posted in response to that OP on that thread, on a completely different site, as I said, OUT OF CONTEXT. You can attempt to interpret it any way your twisted mind wishes, but, as usual, you'd be, at best wrong, at worst............... The only thing that your choosing to partially quote from that post proves is that, you clearly have an obsession with me, keeping a record of all my posts, going back many years. There is a name for people who do that...................... There are a few "nasty" posters on here, they come from both sides of the "question". I leave others to make their own minds up as to who they are.

• youngcornwall  |  February 23 2013, 12:12PM

by PaddyTrembath "In fact, No sport where England are participating should be allowed to waste broadcasting time, England should be banned from TV.[/size]"" You must have been pig sick with the Olympic Games last summer LOL

• Carvath  |  February 23 2013, 12:21PM

Geographically and politically challenged there, YC!

• PaddyTrembath  |  February 23 2013, 1:49PM

YC, http://tinyurl.com/awtsljg Any answers? No, I thought not!

• youngcornwall  |  February 23 2013, 2:08PM

by youngcornwall Saturday, February 23 2013, 12:12PM For heavens sake Paddy try to keep up, and with the topic and thread in hand, just to remind you. "by PaddyTrembath "In fact, No sport where England are participating should be allowed to waste broadcasting time, England should be banned from TV.[/size]"" You must have been pig sick with the Olympic Games last summer LOL"

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 23 2013, 2:28PM

Come on Italy:)

• PaddyTrembath  |  February 23 2013, 6:53PM

Actually YC, the "topic and thread in hand", is actually about encouraging individuals to register with 'Transceltic' as Kernow, being a Celtic Nation, is a full member. But you don't want to talk about that, do you? No. You want to divert any debate on a thread away from the actual topic of the thread. All you ever seem to want to do is to deride any who you class as "Nasty Nats", by any means you can. The taking of comments from ancient posts, completely out of context, and trying to prove a point completely contrary to the point being made in the original post, is one of your favorites. As for the Olympics, as you are well aware of, seeing as how much you enjoy reading my posts elsewhere, I was more than happy to avail myself of the benefits of such applications as Iplayer etc, and the many different channels on Sky and BT Vision, so was able to completely avoid having to be bored to death by the whole proceedings. I should point out, that it is televised sport that I dislike, intensely, as anyone who reads the whole of the post that YC is attempting to misrepresent can clearly see. I prefer my sport to be taken part in, or watched live, at the actual event, the actual ground, than sit skulking in front of a box of electronics letting an overpaid moron tell me whats happening and who I should be cheering for. Now YC, you've failed to paint me black, would you like to try again, I am sure you can find something in your extensive archives.

• ThomasFlamank  |  February 23 2013, 7:14PM

Things have certainly drifted from the topic! Anyway, Mrr Young Cornwall, I think you will find England did not participate in the Olympics. It was an artificially constructed 'TeamGB'. I guess at least with help from the Celtic fringes, they did win a few things but what a waste of money in London!

• ThomasFlamank  |  February 23 2013, 7:16PM

A few more updates on 'TransCeltic' - home of the Celtic Nations: http://tinyurl.com/b4qxjeh (good section on Kernow too!)

• CallingtonFox  |  February 23 2013, 7:31PM

Who gave permission for the County of Cornwall to be described as a 'Celtic Nation'? Why is it alright to bypass democracy whilst assuming the majority of people living here will approve?

• ThomasFlamank  |  February 23 2013, 7:52PM

History has determined it such. Read Beresford Ellis's piece on the website. Democracy has nothing to do with it at all.

• ThomasFlamank  |  February 23 2013, 7:54PM

Read all about it on this part of the website as well: http://tinyurl.com/bjf4r4b

• ThomasFlamank  |  February 23 2013, 7:59PM

And here is a link to Berresford Ellis's article. A true Celtic Academic indeed and one who has written extensively about our Cornish Nation: http://tinyurl.com/agpfahu

• PaddyTrembath  |  February 23 2013, 8:26PM

CallingtonFox wrote:- "Who gave permission for the County of Cornwall to be described as a 'Celtic Nation'?" ? Who "gave permission" for anything? Who "gave permission" for Human Beings to be described as Human Beings? No-one, that is just how we describe them. Who "gave permission" for the Falkland Islanders to be described as British? No-one, but there are those who would wish to disagree with such a description. It is not something that requires permission, we do not live in Oceania, or Soviet Russia. You are perfectly allowed to describe Cornwall in any way you wish, as long as you abide by the usual social mores, and politeness. There is no department of description that we all have to report to and get permission in triplicate to describe a thing as x y z, and thank god that we don't. CallingtonFox wrote:- "Why is it alright to bypass democracy whilst assuming the majority of people living here will approve?" I fear that you are unfamiliar with they way in which democracy works. Democracy is where many different viewpoints are given room to be expressed, to be discussed, and a general consensus arrived at. Such general consensus itself can be challenged, either successfully, or unsuccessful, on any number of occasions, and at any level through that democracy. No consensus is written in stone, all consensus's are changeable, and changeable. Democracy is not bypassed just because something is said or done that you disagree with. Democracy gives you the right to disagree, and attempt to change what has been done or said that you disagree with, provided you do so through the correct channels, and in a peaceful manner. You can do so as an individual, or as part of a pressure group, a group of like minded people who get together to achieve that which they believe to be "best". That is democracy.

• CallingtonFox  |  February 23 2013, 8:26PM

Yes, I am well aware of him and his credentials; it does not mean his work must be taken as the only authority, does it? No. History has not determined anything of the sort either, far, far from it; keep learning. As I pointed out the other day, I used to believe in the Celtic myth until I researched the subject more widely. Get used to the fact that your ideas of the 'Celts' is under long over due challenge; or do you not want to have truth over fiction? With regards to democracy, yes, too right it has something to with it! What right does anyone have to impose a label on others without asking, having an enlightened discussion where we can all have input and then putting those findings to the people? It is plain wrong to bypass the democratic process, especially over something like this and is a real two finger salute to the people.

• ThomasFlamank  |  February 23 2013, 10:02PM

No problem at all with your views Mr Fox. But having read Stoyle, Berresford-Ellis, Kent, Weatherhill, Cunliffe and many others along with other posters who use this message board, here I am - a Celt and a Cornishman. Now, apart from huffing and puffing on this forum, what are you going to do about it? May I tell you? Nothing because there is nothing you can do, is there? Read and enjoy: http://tinyurl.com/bjf4r4b

• ThomasFlamank  |  February 23 2013, 10:06PM

Unless of course you would wish to insist here and now that you intend to deny me that right and outline your proposals? Please feel free to record your thoughts here, won't you? http://tinyurl.com/bjf4r4b

• everywhere  |  February 23 2013, 10:27PM

Still hung up on the Celts then Callington Fox?? No such thing you howl..And howl you do like a rabid dingo in all your posts...Well,I'm not hung up on a culteral and linguistic term..So, how does the fact that i consider myself Cornish with English blood via an English great grandmother sit with you?? No mention of the word Celt from me.Still problematic to you is it? Well,it aint to me! Cornish i am,English i am not!!!

• CallingtonFox  |  February 23 2013, 10:34PM

What are you on about, Mr Flamank? I am surprised you didn't use the line 'My dad is stronger than yours' or something similar. If you want to play games, then what are you going to do about myself and others having opposing views to yours? And, one more time, take this in, you can call yourself what you want, I have not said you can't, ok? And why are you posting links to a biased web-site to back you up? Apart from the fact its content is as trustable as the teachings of David Icke, I actually have already visited this site during my research. You do not like the fact that I have seen the Celtic myth for what it is, do you? Whatever you want to think, this is not a Celtic nation it is a part of England or are you trying to deny me my country? If you want it to be otherwise, then why are you so afraid of using the democratic route along which all sides could be aired? I know why, because once you open the doors on it everyone will see what a sham this Celtic nonsense is.

• CallingtonFox  |  February 23 2013, 10:36PM

everywhere, do you actually have something coherent to say?

• everywhere  |  February 23 2013, 10:50PM

It is you foxy who is out to deny us Cornish our right to be who we wish to be,and that is Cornish and not English!!...you are a blatent anti Cornish anglo saxon racist...do you want to tell me i'm English to my face!! Say yes,and i will travel to meet you anywhere in Cornwall!!

• Slimslad  |  February 23 2013, 10:51PM

"But having read Stoyle, Berresford-Ellis, Kent, Weatherhill, Cunliffe and many others"? Who are historians who access primary sources, in order to make their points.

• everywhere  |  February 24 2013, 12:41AM

You are full of bull Callington Fox,howl as much as you want about the mythical Celts,It's all you are good for. Doing all you can to promote your anglo saxon supremist views...to deny Cornwall's Celtic past is to deny my right to subscribe to that historical past, and to be what i am, and that is Cornish not English!...report you,how pathetic.To use your words,I dare you to tell me to my face that I am English...Or,if you are really brave,come to Falmouth and stand under the blood banner and tell one and all that they are English not Cornish!!...

• Carvath  |  February 24 2013, 11:05AM

It's unbelievable that this is still going on. Time for a reminder. It would be laughable, if it wasn't so sad. "This thread has become a repository for rampant Celtophobia/Xenophobia : the fear of anything slightly different with any degree of diversity sends them into turmoil and crass talk/daft examples. Cherry-picking context dodgers, out-of-date genetic ideas long surpassed by improved methods of analysis and interpretation, pathetic deniers and nit-pickers, attempted debunkery and faux deconstructors, 'tis all here. Some links lead to sites that look as though they come off the back of cornflake packets or have fallen out of a Xmas cracker. The blind dismissal of the opinions of well-known authors, elected politicians of all hues and experienced archaeologists and Cornish language experts all suffer from this bunch of dinosaurs. I'm sure they know who they are." Read more: http://tinyurl.com/a3vhuo8 Follow us: @thisiscornwall on Twitter | thisiscornwall on Facebook

• Chopper8  |  February 24 2013, 11:28AM

Why does one of this pair springs to mind when I read anything posted by ''Professor'' Fox? http://tinyurl.com/d8ynvc Personally, I'm going for the one at the piano...

• CallingtonFox  |  February 24 2013, 11:43AM

everywhere, you have only been looking at the words in my posts, haven't you, not actually reading them? Carvath and C8, carry on believing whatever you want.

• Carvath  |  February 24 2013, 2:53PM

Love it Chopper8, sums it up really, musically. One of the best laughs I've had on this forum: ooooo oooo ooo oo o http://tinyurl.com/d8ynvc

• TheTruronian  |  February 24 2013, 7:58PM

All my life I have been told that I am something I am not. Nowv I know the truth. I am a Celtic Cornishman.

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!