Login Register

Discussion

“Has anyone been denied their rights?....Is anyone being denied their rights?....Has anyone a genuine grievance?...Not what in their opinion, things should be like, but some bread and butter Facts, lets put some real meat on the bone if it is at all possible please.”

By youngcornwall Posted: November 12, 2012

22 comments

22 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • youngcornwall  |  November 12 2012, 7:33PM

I would like to think that those who use this forum are genuine in what they say and what they believe, and want the best for Cornwall and the people of Cornwall. So for once let try to thrash it out together, with one aim, to sort it out, or is it all just talk? "Has anyone been denied their rights?....Is anyone being denied their rights?....Has anyone a genuine grievance?...Not what in their opinion, things should be like, but some bread and butter Facts, lets put some real meat on the bone if it is at all possible please."

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 12 2012, 8:26PM

Callington Fox - to get to that particular court, all domestic courts must be exhausted. I would have thought someone 'as clever' as you would have known that! Yes, my grievance is that we are governed from London. Still, I was glad too see that one of our Conservative MPs is suggesting devolved economic powers to Cornwall. Why are our school children still told that the Norman invaded with no mention of the fact that the Cornish joined the Normans and their Breton 'brothers in arms' to fight the Anglo Saxons? That just one example of the Anglocentric history our youngsters are mis taught! And just another complaint I have lodged with the EHRC. Kernow bys vyken!

• CallingtonFox  |  November 12 2012, 11:00PM

"And just another complaint I have lodged with the EHRC." Sure you have. Now, are you telling me that in all these decades since neo-Celtic nationalism has raised its head ALL domestic courts have not been utilised? That truly does show faith in the cause or, more like, there is simply no case to make.

• Slimslad  |  November 13 2012, 10:21AM

"And just another complaint I have lodged with the EHRC." Bombarding the poor EHRC with cases from 1066? LOL

• cweatherhill  |  November 13 2012, 10:41AM

Let's just take example, shall we? The ongoing refusal of the Westminster Government to include the Cornish people on the European Framework Convention for National and Ethnic Minorities. In fact, of all the minority groups there are in Britain, including the ill-defined "travellers", the Cornish are the ONLY one to be omitted, despite all the evidence of language, history and even genetics (from the ongoing 10-year Wellcome Trust/Oxford University genetic survey).

• cweatherhill  |  November 13 2012, 10:49AM

I formally complained to the University of London about "education sheets" being circulated by them to Cornish schools. One, a pile of utter fiction about the 1595 Spanish raid on Mount's Bay, described Captain Richard Burley as "Cornishman and traitor". He was neither. He was from Weymouth and a staunch Catholic who refused to be forced into England's 50-year old State Religion. Another described the King Doniert Stone near St Cleer as "Anglo-Saxon". Nothing of the kind. It commemorates a Celtic Cornish king, with a Celtic name, and the ornamental work on the stone is wholly Celtic. Records of his death in 875 call him "rex Cerniu, id est Cornubiae" (king of Kernow, that is, of the Cornish people). Where's the Anglo-Saxon about any of that? This is the propaganda served out by a University, for God's sake. Of course, no one had the decency to even acknowledge receipt of my complaint, let alone respond to it.

• Cadoc  |  November 13 2012, 11:18AM

Callington Fox, you really are revealing yourself for what you are. An English fox in Cornish sheep's clothing. I had my suspicions about you from the start. You are an old poster who has re emerged under a different identity and I now realise who you are. I think you were asked to prove England exists, weren't you? But then, you were asked that once before. No proof now, no proof then which leads one and all to understand that the English really don't know who they are and they are a recent invention in a recent country. Nothing 'neo' about us Cornish. The only 'neo' applies to you and your ilk.

• youngcornwall  |  November 13 2012, 12:31PM

by cweatherhill "Let's just take example, shall we? The ongoing refusal of the Westminster Government to include the Cornish people on the European Framework Convention for National and Ethnic Minorities." Until there has been a referendum to indicate what the people of Cornwall want regarding this, we do not know what they want, it is as simple as that.

• JJLee  |  November 13 2012, 12:59PM

I think you were asked to prove England exists. Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how. JA. I am shocked by the Neanderthal type commentary and please do not complain when people start cursing you or the Cornish if that is the kind of drivel you think is astute or Cornish.

• CallingtonFox  |  November 13 2012, 1:15PM

My dear Cadoc, neo-Celt that you are, I am an English man living in a part of England called Cornwall. It is a wonderful county, one of many, whose peoples and history go towards making an incredible country worth celebrating. Who do think I am? Because, dear Cadoc, you are, once again, wrong. As for your second paragraph, all it says about you is, troll.

• youngcornwall  |  November 13 2012, 4:54PM

It seems to me there has been very little or no progress since the Mori poll some 10 years ago, regarding getting people together, the very fact that this 50,000 poll got mislaid or whatever, is still a very good indication that those who participated in it were not all that bothered, otherwise they would have been up in arms over it, apart from a few nationalists, things seem to be just the same today.

• Big_Ger  |  November 13 2012, 6:40PM

Some here have tried to deny me my right to self identify as Cornish and English, does that help?

• Slimslad  |  November 13 2012, 7:17PM

One complaint... Against one particular University. "This is the propaganda served out by a University, for God's sake." Or genuine mistakes. Try "Googling" "Captain Richard Burley as "Cornishman and traitor" ? Or "King Doniert Stone near St Cleer" and see how many describe it as "Anglo-Saxon"

• youngcornwall  |  November 13 2012, 7:21PM

@Big_Ger I was thinking more on the lines of "being denied their rights" by Westminster or any government policy that has been enforced on an individual or the people of Cornwall as a whole. I think you can give as good as you can take BG, I was hopping this thread would rise above all that if it is at all possible.

• CallingtonFox  |  November 13 2012, 8:09PM

How many years and no action through the courts? Says it all really.

• Slimslad  |  November 13 2012, 10:05PM

Captain Richard Burley as "Cornishman and traitor" ? http://tinyurl.com/bs42rgl 3 examples, (2 from the same source, 1 from Cornwall24). "Another described the King Doniert Stone near St Cleer as "Anglo-Saxon". http://tinyurl.com/c2fodqh 1 example.

• Slimslad  |  November 14 2012, 12:54PM

"Of course, no one had the decency to even acknowledge receipt of my complaint, let alone respond to it." LOL

• cweatherhill  |  November 14 2012, 3:55PM

OK, Slim, just who was Capt. Richard Burley and what was his role in that historical event? On which ship was he (her name)? What type of ship was that? What was the name of her captain? How many ships were involved? What was the name of the chaplain on board? And what was the name of the Spansih sergeant major who led the assault on Mousehole and Paul? Answer all those, and we'll see who's the expert, shall we?

• Slimslad  |  November 14 2012, 4:11PM

"Captain Richard Burley as "Cornishman and traitor" ? http://tinyurl.com/bs42rgl 3 examples, (2 from the same source, 1 from Cornwall24). "Another described the King Doniert Stone near St Cleer as "Anglo-Saxon". http://tinyurl.com/c2fodqh 1 example."

• Slimslad  |  November 14 2012, 4:12PM

Dodging the issue, Weatherhill?

• youngcornwall  |  November 14 2012, 4:32PM

by Slimslad "Dodging the issue, Weatherhill?" Starting a new thread I would have thought would have been more appropriate.

• Big_Ger  |  November 14 2012, 8:05PM

When did "having the history of obscure historical figures reported in a manner which pleases me" become a right? What relevance does that matter have to the rights of the average man on Lemon Quay?

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!