Login Register

Discussion

“As a council taxpayer and employer my faith in Cornwall’s planners to protect our environment and promote Cornwall’s best long term interests is at rock bottom... indeed I would like to see a motion of no confidence in them brought before Cornwall Council (any Councilors brave enough to do so?).”

By poldice Posted: January 14, 2013

44 comments

44 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • kernow333  |  January 19 2013, 10:35PM

I agree Kernow is being destroyed. Why are we building housing estates on green field sites when there are so many Brown field sites to use. These houses are mostly being occupied by upcountry people anyway. Also look at all the empty industrial units in the area. But despite this lets build new ones all over the place and take away more of our beautiful Country.

• youngcornwall  |  January 20 2013, 9:24AM

by kernow333 "These houses are mostly being occupied by upcountry people anyway" We are having them integrating with the indigenous population as well, which is a good thing don't you think? Take your point on green field sites.

• Big_Ger  |  January 20 2013, 11:35AM

"These houses are mostly being occupied by upcountry people anyway. " Please show any evidence for this you may have. Or shall we just consider it another nationalist myth, fuelled by racism and lies as per norm? What horrible people Cornish nationalists are, full of hate for their fellow Brits.

• H_Trevorrow  |  January 20 2013, 12:50PM

70% of new homes in Cornwall are bought by locals from within 5 miles of the development.

• youngcornwall  |  January 20 2013, 4:44PM

@ Big_Ger I know what you are saying but this sweeping statement of yours to include all "Cornish Nationalist" is a little unfair don't you think. If there is to be any progress at all I would say this is not the way to go, I am sure.

• poldice  |  January 20 2013, 5:29PM

I dont see any mention of or inference to incomers, nationalists or indeed hatred in my proposition. I was merely commenting that Cornwalls professional planners appear to be doing a very unprofessional job of protecting Cornwalls unspoiled countryside from unwarranted urbanisation regardless of who can or cannot afford the properties built of where the buyers originate from. Why is it that whenever any topic is introduced for discussion that the words hatred and nationalism are invariably invoked by the same people over and over again ad nauseum? Question for trevorrow... if what you say is substantially true who on earth is buying the existing houses that the alleged 70% of local buyers of the new properties are vacating... are you trying to say that 70% of all local properties are bought by local buyers? if so that could equate to 30% population growth over a period from inward migration which does not bode well for places like Treliske Hospital which is already beyond full stretch. The logical argument being that infrastructure provision should be the priority before any new developments are allowed, given that hospital, road, sewage and educational provision are already lagging behind without more housing being built, the truth is developers will not cough up for these improvements because there is nothing in it for them. For example Truro's sewage works can only accept anothe 500 connections yet thousands of homes currently have planning permission in the greater Truro area and roads are already at full capacity, please explain what this has to do with nationalism or indeed hatred. THE SIMPLE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT CORNWALLS PLANNERS ARE NOT DOING THEIR JOBS CORRECTLY BECAUSE THEY ARE OFFERING UNSOUND ADVICE TO THE COUNCILLORS WHO MAKE THE FINAL DECISIONS IN ORDER TO COMPLY BLINDLY WITH CENTRAL GOVERNMENT DIKTATS ON HOUSING DELIVERY AND THEY ARE DESTROYING OUR RURAL ENVIRONMENT IN THE PROCESS. PLEASE PLAY NICELY EVERYONE.

• AnGof2012  |  January 20 2013, 6:15PM

Agree with all you say Poldice and it is typical of Bigger to make sweeping, abusive comments. You can't trust Trevorrow either. He is an English Nat who has caused great offence by taking a Cornish name on here. Fortunately, local people are now waking up and we have the Trelawny Alliance in Camborne, the group to oppose Duke Charles in Truro and others elsewhere including a very effective group in Looe. The Council are going to specially tax holiday homes and hopefully soon the holiday 'trade' too to help pay for the annual clean up after the invasion, supplement local services and so on. Don't forget, you are not obliged to 'prove' anything to the Anglophile trolls on here. Their views and opinions count for little. Meanwhile, that anti Cornish fund Bigger - any updates?

• Slimslad  |  January 20 2013, 6:49PM

The total number of second homes in Cornwall is 14,446 out of a housing stock of 260,077, according to the figures from Cornwall Council Community Intelligence." Under 6%""

• H_Trevorrow  |  January 20 2013, 6:54PM

Indeed Cornwall is waking up to the foolishness ...first , as Cornwall is one of the lowest density area of the uk it is incredible to argue an environmental disaster. Second , the highest figure of new homes being argued for at county hall is I believe 45000 over the next 18 yrs... That is only a few thousand each year spread over the whole county... Infrastructure will easily accomodate that .

• CallingtonFox  |  January 20 2013, 7:19PM

Infrastructure should always, always, always, be a number one consideration when considering any planning applications; I often wonder if it actually has been. Loss of countryside and consequent loss of wildlife should be of equal consideration; I often wonder whether these have been considered either. The housing figures we see banded about, well, I find them hard to swallow and always have done. In my opinion, and it only an opinion, having taken a keen interest in house and business planning for a number of years, many planning applications should never have been granted at all or should have been greatly reduced in scale. I think it is about time there was a full national and fresh review of planning involving all interested parties.

• Big_Ger  |  January 20 2013, 8:15PM

Poldice; I quoted where this nonsense about incomers came from, read the first reply from kernow 333. Young Cornwall;' I agree that not all Nationalists are driven by hatred, and withdraw that remark. Thank you for being reasonable. Thanks you too to Angof for asking; "Meanwhile, that anti Cornish fund Bigger - any updates?" Yes, here is an update. Once I made a throwaway remark about a discussion a few friends of mine from teh holiday industry had about the detrimental effects of Cornish nationalism on people's perceptions of Cornwall as a holiday destination. I said that we should start a fund to oppose Cornmish nationalism. However subsequent events proved that the worse advert for Cornish nationalism, were the Cornish nationalists themselves, a fact they continue to prove day in and day out here, see Angof's every post for examples. The funniest thing is that I have now informed Angof of this seven times here on these forums, and he still keeps asking me about it, allowing me to state, and encourage people to look into; The worse advert for Cornish nationalism are the Cornish nationalists themselves. Long may he continue to prove me right.

• poldice  |  January 20 2013, 8:17PM

I am aware of Trelawney Alliance and particularly like its non political nature and principled stand against the madness our planners are aiding and abetting... Councillor Kaczmarek would do well to heed what they are telling him now that his former mentor and puppetmaster are yesterdays news. The biggest problem is the concentration of mass developments around the "honeypots" where infrastructure is already unaccceptably weak... most notably Truro but not forgetting St Austell which is an even bigger mess in gestation... Newquay and Camborne Redruth. My vision is that affordable local needs housing must take priority, most of these houses could be accomodated in the villages if every settlement were to accept say 100 housing units for local needs this would beef up the school ... the shop... and the pub building community spirit and hopefully create some extra on the spot employment. The alternative is more of the same souless anonymous enclaves of so called executive style homes (how naff is that?) to accomodate an influx of affluent retirees and white collar lifestyle seeking buyers who would further strain our overloaded health provision in short order. Whatever the planners or developers may wish or indeed say Truro in particular is already overdeveloped and continues to suck the life out of surrounding towns... it is presently one of the nicest cities in the UK but due to bad planning policies threatens to become a clone of some middle English horror like Peterbourough full of phone and charity shops and surrounded by endless tin shed retail sites. WHAT ON EARTH HAS A PASSIONATE DESIRE TO SEE THE VERY BEST BUILT ENVIRONMENT POSSIBLE GOT TO DO WITH NATIONALISM OR HATRED YOU FOOLS WHO SEEM UNABLE TO TALK ABOUT NOTHING ELSE WHILE THE FABRIC OF CORNWALL CRUMBLES???

• AnGof2012  |  January 20 2013, 8:29PM

Ah, so your proposal failed Bigger? Right, thanks for clearing up that point. Incidentally, don't be too quick to take all your 'friends' at face value. And I for one really couldn't give a hoot what your views are on Cornish Nationalists. Nor those of anyone elses' here. Get that little point straight in your emmet fleecing brain, okay?

• AnGof2012  |  January 20 2013, 8:34PM

Poldice, they don't care. They are either English or Anglophile and their views are different. Their country is in tatters and collapsing. They would like to see the same happen everywhere else. That's why more and more are waking up and rejecting them. That's why their Empire collapsed.

• Big_Ger  |  January 20 2013, 8:48PM

Anyone interested in finding out the sort of person that Cornish nationalism attracts only has to read the above quote from Angof; "They are either English or Anglophile and their views are different. Their country is in tatters and collapsing." Pure racism. As I have long stated, the worse advert for Cornish nationalism are the Cornish nationalists themselves.

• kernow333  |  January 20 2013, 9:15PM

Infrastructure is the biggest problem facing Cornwall. Where did I mention that I hate upcountry people? I only stated that most New houses are being taken by up country people. If the true figure is only 30 per cent than I stand corrected. However what a drain on our resources that 30 per cent will have on such things as hospitals and schools. What about the increased traffic? has anyone driven in Truro lately between 3 and 6. We all live here so it doesn't matter where you originated from. If we don't stop mass development then if will affect us all and the Cornwall we love will be ruined forever or is it already too late?

• poldice  |  January 20 2013, 9:37PM

The blobby character is obviously an obsessive compulsive with a deeply unhealthy obsession with hatred... we are trying to discuss planning policy and he keeps banging away in the background like a cracked record. Exactly kernow333 anyone who lives here wherever they originate from must surely recognise the clear and present danger bad planning policy executed by gulliable inept councillors is posing to our entire community. It is glaringly obvious that there is neither the will nor the funds to embark on the scale of infrastructure enhancement needed to rectify this situation which I was given to understand was what objective one funding was intended for... what happened to that? The most visible things we appear to have gained from objective one are numerous village halls that are often underused and a proliferation of twee street funiture... none of this produces anything more than the most transitory employment or prosperity as the fabric of village life as we know it continues its downward spiral. It is almost too late but not quite... remember elections are imminent it is up to the electorate to ensure that as few as possible who aid and abet these damaging policies get elected to our council this time around...certainly any one standing on a party political ticket should be treated with the utmost suspicion given the track of party politics in local government to date.

• H_Trevorrow  |  January 20 2013, 10:04PM

Romantic nostalgic folly Poldice . People don't want affordable housing in remote locations ... They want to be near work/transport hubs and shops . Time to accept reality ?

• poldice  |  January 20 2013, 11:17PM

No trevorrow merely practical commonsense, there is no room for romance in this scenario which is a figment of your imagination presumably to further your disruptive agenda. If people want affordable housing it must be put in smalller clusters cheaper to service on cheaper land often within village boundaries to reinforce the village communities which must not be allowed to die. Todays IT systems make homeworking a practical proposition to minimise the need to commute and it would distribute the overall population wider and less intrusively away from the development hotspots that are the root of the problem. You amaze me with your problem tailored for every solution you and your ilk are part of the problem blinkered unable or unwilling to think laterally you are actually merely another dimension of a problem which increasingly demands radical solutions. You were the one who actually pointed out that much of Cornwall is very undeveloped and and sparsely populated. I agree that the north and east is indeed sparsely populated are you now backtracking on that statement trevorrow?

• AnGof2012  |  January 21 2013, 12:05AM

Bigger wouldn't know racism if it bit his rather voluminuos posterior. His type have been putting us down for years in the name of greedy tourist income but those days are ending. As for Trevorrow, all he is capable of it causing upset by using a Cornish name to cover his true credentials. None of this crowd would be happy until the A30 and 39 are lined with housing estates for England's rejects, fast food joints, supermarkets and theme parks.They do not have our love of this Country and its ways. Thankfully, just as England is failing, so will they. A third rate country for a third rate, lost population fighting imaginary Muslim warriors. I don't only post on here by the way. Oh no, I am far more 'active' than that in maintaining Cornwall's independent spirit as a few have found out.

• H_Trevorrow  |  January 21 2013, 8:00AM

Some towns have had zero population growth in ten years.... I agree that there needs to be a better distribution of development. But whenever developments are suggested you always get a nimby response.... Hayle is a classic and snives actually defeated an affordable scheme. A big part of our probem is the vacuum of talent in our elected reps on planning commutes. These jokes have only one skill and that is to get elected.

• H_Trevorrow  |  January 21 2013, 8:54AM

The planning staff do a very good job given the confines of the system they work in. Where it all goes wrong is when you have posturing idiots on planning committes trying to attract attention and votes by frustrating every development. If these half wits put their self interest to one side and worked to strengthen planning strategy and influence developers we would be better for it. Instead they court popularity ,in vain attempts to 'support the underdog nimby' ...

• Big_Ger  |  January 21 2013, 9:58AM

I have to agree that changes should be made, and I think any regular readers here will know I am no fan of local government. There are many dwellings in Cornwall that could be converted to apartments for instance, but how hard is it to get "change of use" permission. A large number of old seaside properties, which once would have been boarding houses, a holiday which is much out of favour in these days, would make lovely apartments. There are many old industrial and warehouse type buildings which could be converted, but would you be allowed to, and who would provide the investment?

• Big_Ger  |  January 21 2013, 8:04PM

Would it be worth CCC hiring in an advisory group, say from another council who have had great success managing housing change. Or are all councils as inept as ours?

• CallingtonFox  |  January 21 2013, 8:58PM

"Or are all councils as inept as ours?" No, this one is particularly bad. As an aside, it does show that voting so called 'Independent' is not the wonderful panacea many claim doing so to be.

• Carvath  |  January 21 2013, 9:03PM

There's nothing magic about it, you just have to make sure all aspects of the infrastructure will take the development or provision is made for it. I do object to "green field" development as a cheaper alternative to using the extensive "brown field" land available. Many other councils have goofed looking at traffic jams, flooding, etc up and down the UK. It is important that Cornwall does not "sell out" in such a manner: look and learn.

• Slimslad  |  January 21 2013, 9:11PM

My faith in Cornwall's planners to protect our environment and promote Cornwall's best long term interests is at rock bottom. I totally agree! "Falmouth's Azure Oil Services admits polluting the River Fal" http://tinyurl.com/bhspmt

• polgooth  |  January 22 2013, 2:14AM

Not so sure on the case against independents. I personally think that so called local politics should be just that. UK politics and political parties should not be involved in local politics and decision making. The creeping politicalisation of local affairs has led to less debate and objective decision making based upon what is right for the local community and replaced it with party bickering, points scoring and over inflated ego's more interested in pampering to London based personalities and their own personal career fantasies rather than the genuine needs of local tax payers and communities.

• polgooth  |  January 22 2013, 2:31AM

BG - don't think they are called CCC anymore, rightly, the county bit has been dropped ! brgds,

• poldice  |  January 22 2013, 9:38AM

This forum was iniated to discuss the merits (or otherwise) of Cornwall's planners in relation to the guidance they give and influence (or otherwise) they wield over our elected representatives who are charged with making often far reaching decisions on our behalf. It was most specifically not instituted to bicker over the finer points of Cornish Nationalism or party politics per se although unfortunately the curse of party political dogma does intrude into the planning process. This politicisation as polgooth quite rightly said has to a marked degree stifled debate indeed the recently ex leader of Cornwall Councils greatest sin in my book was to pander blindly to central diktat which has directly led to the insane dash for unsustainaable artificial population growth at any cost which has unleashed the current speculative developers charter. My contention being that the a bureaucratic planning hierarchy has siezed on the letter of these damaging diktats with relish and used the situation to establish bridgeheads of unwanted development in pristine open countryside regardless of patently obvious infrastructure shortfalls that should have been addressed before these developments were even thought of. Regardless of whether Cornish Nationalist, Anglophile or politically active and leaving aside for the moment the argument whether Cornwall is indeed a Country or merely an English Shire everyone whatever their allegiance ought to be deeply concerned by the insane development proposals already sanctioned or about to be sanctioned on greenfield sites in mid and west Cornwall from St Austell to Camborne. Everyone must make their voices heard in the run up to the crucial May elections and interrogate their candidates to detrmine their views on this crucial issue, much irrepairable damage has already been done but it is possible to prevent any more given the will to do so.

• Gurnards_Head  |  January 22 2013, 10:25AM

Re Slimslads reference to the pollution of Falmouth Harbour by leakage from the storage tanks owned by Azure Oil Services. These tanks were scheduled for decommissioning several years ago to be replaced by a new above ground tank farm which represented a major investment in Falmouth. The site values of the decommissioned tank farm areas was to have provided the capital for the rebuild, due to bureaucracy the delays created stymied the project due to the crash in land values and Falmouth Oil Services was subsequently sold to a US company. Azure Oil Services was set up to decommission the Middle Point tank farm and clean up the site where the pollution in question dates back to when the site was operated by the MOD. This is exactly the type of post industrial brownfield site in an idyllic location that the planners and Environment Agency ought to be bending over backwards to get remediated and redeveloped to a high standard but it would appear that they have actually put every conceivable obstacle in the way of progress. I am not a fan of planners given the appalling standard of developments they have sanctioned in recent years a typical example of which is the cringe inducing estate on the old Holman Works opposite Tesco in Camborne which reminds me of a Siberian Gulag most certainly unbecoming such an historically significant site. Another example is the similar tin roofed abominations along Sandy Lane Redruth which stick out like sore thumbs compared with the attractive stone built traditional terraces in adjacent streets to the south. If this is the best standard our planners can come up with it speaks volumes of the pressures savvy developers can exert to railroad their schemes through the planning process and the lack of resolve to oversee the very highest aesthetic standards exhibited by both planning officers and councillors.

• Big_Ger  |  January 22 2013, 10:26AM

Well Poldice, I have to say that I totally agree with the thrust of your debate, and I support you intent. The only way the situation will change is via the ballot box, and regardless of their political affiliation each county councillor should have has his or her first priority the needs, wishes, desires and views of his/her electorate, secondly of the rest of the people of the county, and trailing in way behind these, their political allegiance.

• poldice  |  January 22 2013, 11:27AM

Right glad I am to hear it Big_Ger our political allegiances are, (or in my case not because I have none, preferring to believe that both sides of the divide make some valid points), a personal matter, totallly irrelevant to what we are discussing which is probably the single most crucial issue facing Cornwall's people at present. Invoking hatred threads or nationsalistic overtones are not productive as the only way the question of nationalism will eventually be resolved is through the ballot box which in the recent past has been a very under utilised, at best abused, democratic tool. If those who wish to represent us deliver good sound planning policies specifically tailored to our absolutely unique needs they will serve us well which currently I for one feel has not been happening as I believe that priority must be given to those already here not those who wish to come in search of an illusory unsustainable lifestyle to the detriment our precious irreplaceable environment and its people. Those abominable recent planning decisions east and west of Truro, if they are built. will be monuments to the folly of greed and a reminder of a very dark period of Cornwalls recent history and a damning indictment of all those involved in their conception.

• CallingtonFox  |  January 22 2013, 2:59PM

Big_Ger wrote: "The only way the situation will change is via the ballot box, and regardless of their political affiliation each county councillor should have has his or her first priority the needs, wishes, desires and views of his/her electorate, secondly of the rest of the people of the county, and trailing in way behind these, their political allegiance." Exactly, and, believe it or not, this is what normally happens, and yes, I do know from experience. Councillors of all political affiliations will work together as much as possible. The only reason people stand under a political party banner is because it shows the electorate where their ideals are more likely to stem from and be. There is internal party discipline, there has to be or things fall apart, but don't be fooled by any 'Independent' who tries to make out they act alone and will do only what their electorate want, it NEVER works like that, it can't; you can not please everyone all the time and you can NOT act alone; that is why 'Independents' often form groups. They are no better or worse than somebody who stands under a party banner. As for the purpose of this thread, planning is a massive and divisive subject, it always will be. The trouble is, I think, we need a total look at the whole process and how to fit it to local and national needs, (we all are entitled to live in this country), instead of just tinkering with it.

• H_Trevorrow  |  January 23 2013, 1:37AM

Truro has not suffered from development to date and the latest developments in train will make positive improvements. The opponents are thinly disguised nimbys and anti evolution nats....ie it's a green field site until you stick a university offering a degree in 'Cornish studies' on it....it would be laughable if it weren't so obvious.

• youngcornwall  |  January 23 2013, 9:14AM

by H_Trevorrow "The opponents are thinly disguised nimbys and anti evolution nats....ie it's a green field site until you stick a university offering a degree in 'Cornish studies" I think we need to rise above all these kinds of comments, at the end of the day it is all happening on our watch, this is our time, that in years to come we will be answerable for the good bad and the indifferent decisions taken today. I am not saying call a halt to all new building projects, only we must be sensible about this whole thing from start to finish.

• Big_Ger  |  January 23 2013, 10:04AM

"There is a myth in this country," says Kevin Cahill, author of the seminal Who Owns Britain (Canongate, 2001), "that land is scarce. It is not scarce. There is 41 million acres out there, about one-third of it so uneconomic that it has to be subsidised, hidden behind nothing but a myth. The problem is that there is simply not enough land coming on to the market for housing, which puts fierce pressure on the little land that is available, and thus dramatically inflates its price."

• youngcornwall  |  January 23 2013, 10:40AM

For places likes of Cornwall with only being a narrow strip of land, rain water displacement is a real problem, with every new block paving drive, new roof and every mile of tarmac being laid has a detrimental effect on the landmass with the topsoil being washed so easily into the sea, and lost forever.

• poldice  |  January 23 2013, 1:25PM

Bog -off trevorrow nationalism is entirely irrelvant to this issue in the same manner as political allegiance, youngcornwall makes relevant points which ought to be considered by the planners but in the case of Langarth Farm in particular have been apparently swept into the long grass. There is now a flood mitigation dam in the Kenwyn Vallley following earlier serious flooding in Truro which thus far has prevented the sort of flash fooding that blighted Truro's centre with increasing regularity, has anyone calculated the effect on the flood mitigation dam of the additional run off from a sports stadium 1600 houses and the associated roads that will be dumped in the Kenwyn Valley in very wet times as experienced recently? In food security terms 41, 000, 000 acres is not a lot (about half an acre per person) given that much will be low grade land, but pressure for development is almost inariably on the higher grade food producing land bearing in mind they are not making any more of it to replace what is lost. Greed is a driver of land prices fuelled by presumed scarcity which in reality is often not borne out by the fact that brownfield sites sre available for recycling but it is easier and more profitable to bulldoze open pristine countryside. The bottom line being that Truro and St Austell are overdeveloped and much of this recent development is tacky anonymous estates that lack any sense of community or real sense of purpose, more of the same in the pursuit of growth and profit at any cost is simply not good enough. As for a university whilst on balance a force for the good fortunately courses in Cornish studies or even more irrelevant degrees in surfing (***) are a minority interest, yet another of trevorrows disruptive red herrings, they are the brainchilds of the bums on seats types who run these pyramid selling organisations who really ought to be promoting apprenticships in engineering or electronics which would be more relevant but less profitable to them.

• H_Trevorrow  |  January 24 2013, 2:28AM

In regard to langarth I believe the local Cllrs were more concerned with traffic issues... The issue here is about weaning people off the addiction to cars and promoting alternate transport...in a greener society you need to house people in the vicinity of shops /work etc. likewise the Truro eastern approach incorporates park and ride .. A plus. If you investigate our stringent planning rules on drainage that issue also becomes moot. I suggest Truro and st Austell are reaching a sensible capacity and other towns will have to expand..... Brownfield sites are a small part of the answer...a nimby myth. If housing new builds are too limited it will severely disadvantage locals... Far worse than today. Definitely we need to demand the highest aesthetic standards for development and insist on higher protection for natural features... The council have the power to place tree preservation orders ...IMO this should be a pre-requisite of any development...

• poldice  |  January 24 2013, 8:17AM

Of course traffic issues were paramount given the traffic conditions which frequently equate to gridlock on the road from Chiverton Cross (which ought to have been a flyover instead of a roundabout from day one) into Truro. However the sheer cynicism of the developer in obtaining planning permission for this horrible scheme offering a "free!!!" stadium as a carrot which equated to expecting Cornwall's already overstretched ratepayers to underwrite it really does beggar belief for its audacity. Fortunately the timely resignation of Councillor Scott Mann blew that little wheeze wide open and led to the eventual downfall of "the gruesome twosome AKA Lavery and Robertson leaving their puppet Kaczmarek potentially hung out to dry. The chilling logic of the developer in establishing a bridgehead of development 4 miles fom Truro city centre has now opened up in excess of 500 acres of decent agricultural land between Langarth Farm and Truro Golf Club for subsequent development on the lip of the priceless Kenwyn Valley. When this nightmare scenario comes to pass the true horror of the paucity of Cornwall's planning policy will be revealed but it will be too late and that is not scaremomngering it is a realistic scenario already being worked up by the developers camped out around Truro who must now see our planners and council as a particularly soft touch. The precedent has been set at both Langarth Farm and Tregurra Farm the word on the street will be that pristine countryside is up for grabs because our feeble planners have effectively created a free for all. That is not even to begin to adress St Austell but I am heartened that trevorrow recognises that both towns are at "sensible" (already overdeveloped") capacity of I what would strongly argue is a pretty tacky standard of existing recent development. Of course the Council have powers to impose tree preservation orders etc just like they have powers to specify the percentage of affordable homes which currently the developers given confidence by what they have already got away with because of weakness of planning resolve are now applying to renege on established agreements relating to affordable percentages on economic grounds. Perhaps they should have thought about economic conditions before they leveraged carte blanche to desecrate our countryside in the beginning because what we currently have could turn out to be a re-enactment of the Irish property boom bust catastrophe, lessons have obviously not been learned from that, least of all by our planners or councillors.

• Big_Ger  |  January 24 2013, 9:03AM

Can we take it you'll be standing for election to the county council on a; "No More Development!" ticket then Poldice?

• poldice  |  January 24 2013, 10:43AM

No Big_Ger I am too controversial to be a councillor and would be unable to cope with the Lys Kernow culture, besides which I am more than occupied in a couple of areas of public service more suited to my particular skill set. I am not against development per se merely unsuitable developments in the wrong place of which in recent times we have seen far too many. The thrust of my argument is that our Cornish economy is repositioning itself in a very positive manner with a focus on food production and processing along with tourism and specialised often small scale manufacturing which all encourage a vibrant service sector. All these elements require a workforce which should be locally available, there is something inherently wrong when firms need to employ migrant labour which tends to be itinerant, that said any workforce needs housing which must be available at an affordable cost. However before any of these elements can achieve anything like full potential a resilient infrastructure needs to be in place, for example how many tourists have been deterred from returning to Cornwall because both their first and last experience of a Cornish holiday has been to sit for hours in a traffic jam on Bodmin Moor because of a short length of dual carriageway has never been built. The same applies to transport operators often hauling perishable local produce with a time critical delivery slot at some distant supermarket hub or even my own fleet of trucks engaged in multi drop local distribution work endlessly snarled up in the traffic chaos around Truro or St Austell. All of this costs money and is entirely down to bad planning at both local and national level where all forms of strategic infrastructure are but an after thought to be crisis managed after the problem has been created... that is bad planning that is bad for business which is bad for Cornish people who have to put up with the resultant chaos and financial implications. What I am saying is lets have development policies that create jobs that generate a need for staff housing at an affordable price ideally in the vicinity of the available work with the necessary infrastrucure in place rather than as at present merely an after thought in the mad dash for growth at any cost. What we do not need are any more of the current types of development that create purposeless ghettoes of high priced housing affordable only by often economically inactive inward migrants who tend to create longer term problems rather than prosperity.

• Big_Ger  |  January 24 2013, 11:18AM

Well yet again I find myself in complete agreement with you. And thank you for taking my question as offered.

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!