Login Register

Discussion

“An answer to some of Cornwall County council's housing problems.

The data - reported today in the Sunday Telegraph and seen by MailOnline - also shows up to 8,000 council or housing association households earn more than £80,000 a year, and up to 21,000 earn more than £60,000.

The average income for all British households with two working adults is around £40,000 a year.

Councils and housing associations save their housing stock for tenants with low incomes, but once they have moved in it is difficult to remove them if they start earning a high salary.

Union boss Bob Crow is just one of thousands of tenants still living in a council house despite having a six-figure income, figures show.
Up to 5,000 taxpayer-subsidised tenants cannot be kicked out despite having a household income that tops £100,000 a year - because there are no rules allowing councils to do so.

Bob Crow, the general secretary of the RMT union behind London's tube strikes, infamously said he had 'no moral duty' to leave his council house despite now earning £145,000 a year.”

By Big_Ger Posted: February 16, 2014

3 comments

3 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • josdave  |  February 17 2014, 8:07AM

This has been going on for many years and is clearly wrong though what you do about it I don't know. Council housing was meant for those who could not afford to buy or rent but has been abused to the extent that many tenants are better off than those in well paid jobs.

• rickoon  |  February 17 2014, 10:34AM

This just shows Bob Crow isn't a snob. What are we supposed to do kick someone out of a council house because they earn too much money and leave those who cannot pay their rents stay?..I am just asking, you tell me.

• rickoon  |  February 17 2014, 8:03PM

One way instead of renting council houses, is to lease them for a set time, everybody would have a roof over their heads, if you like a particular area and you have the money buy your own property, otherwise when your lease runs out expect to move. If the terms and conditions are laid down beforehand there shouldn't be a problem. What do you think of that?

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!