Login Register

Discussion

“Wadebridge men attacked by group claiming to be English Defence League

DETECTIVES are hunting a group of men claiming to be members of the far-right English Defence League (EDF) after they beat up three young men in Wadebridge.

The local men were out celebrating a 21st birthday last Wednesday night when they were set upon.

One of those attacked, George Berridge, a recent journalism graduate, believes his career path may have prompted the attack. Mr Berridge was punched several times and his friend had a bottle smashed over his head.

The 21 year-old said the men spoke with London accents and told him they belonged to the EDF.

The attack happened near the Regal cinema on the Platt at about 11.30pm as the friends were walking home.

Mr Berridge said he and his friend were playing pool in a pub when they were approached by the men.

"They were all very drunk and one asked us what we thought of the English Defence League.

"We told them the EDF were idiots and a few other disparaging things, before they told us they belonged to the group, and then a friend mentioned I was a journalist, which they took extreme exception to."

He said as they were walking home, one of the men jumped from a car and attacked him.

"I turned around and got punched twice in the face.

"The man then started punching my friend, and another got out of the car and smashed a bottle over my friend's head.

"Thankfully, it is at this point that another car comes by and the men jump into their car and speed off.

"One yelled from the window: "You've just been ****** by the EDL," said Mr Berridge.

An ambulance arrived to tend the injured young men, along with the police.

Mr Berridge said: "I am very grateful that we're not worse off, thanks to the arrival of some wonderful strangers who called the police and fetched us some water."

Bodmin CID are appealing for information about the attack.”

By ThomasFlamank Posted: September 14, 2013

52 comments

52 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • hereandthere  |  September 14 2013, 6:09PM

Scum, that is what they are. That is what nationalism is all about, division and exclusion. It all breeds hatred. Nationalism is one of the worlds greatest scourges.

• TruroCornwall  |  September 14 2013, 6:23PM

....yes....and where were they from.....hereandthereandnowhereinparticular?.....a little help perhaps?....... "The 21 year-old said the men spoke with London accents"

• hereandthere  |  September 14 2013, 6:39PM

TruroCornwall, your inability to understand that nationalism and nationalists are just plain nasty and unwanted, regardless of which nationalism and nationalists they are, is something you need to look at.

• AnBalores  |  September 14 2013, 6:45PM

The EDL seem particularly active at the moment. It was William Hague and Jack Straw who together warned about the rise of dangerous English nationalism. Better to have small, self governing communities.

• AnBalores  |  September 14 2013, 6:56PM

And that is also why I could never be proud to be British hereandthere!

• hereandthere  |  September 14 2013, 7:10PM

Okay, so none of you, so far, want to admit to ALL nationalism and nationalists as being dangerous to society but only, it appears, certain types. All you are doing is proving my point. Nationalism breeds hatred and contempt, it is divisive and exclusive. I do not care which nationalists or form of nationalism they are or follow, I dislike/despise them ALL.

• everywhere  |  September 14 2013, 7:33PM

Pinky the pontificate is to address the world on the evil of nationalism...yet he cannot differentiate between national liberation and nationalism?? Sorry pinky,there will be no nobel peace prize coming your way...

• rickoon  |  September 14 2013, 7:37PM

Remember this one Mike?.. http://tinyurl.com/afega2a .. Another attempt on spreading discontent and disharmony, things have a funny way of coming back and biting sometimes, sadly it is the innocent that can get hurt. When is all this bickering amongst the Cornish going to stop? It is every bit a Cornish problem there is no us and them on this forum, can you not see this?

• hereandthere  |  September 14 2013, 7:50PM

everywhere ironically helps to make my point for me, thanks fella.

• TruroCornwall  |  September 14 2013, 8:26PM

"....yes....and where were they from.....hereandthereandnowhereinparticular?.....a little help perhaps?....... "The 21 year-old said the men spoke with London accents"" I reject.....ENGLISH......nationalism!!!!!!......and those who force it on me!!!!!!

• everywhere  |  September 14 2013, 9:33PM

God for Harry,England and St george??...Harry who TC?? Haha

• hereandthere  |  September 14 2013, 10:07PM

You are losing it boys.

• TruroCornwall  |  September 14 2013, 10:11PM

England.....over the bridge.....lol!

• hereandthere  |  September 14 2013, 11:10PM

TruroCornwall, out of his depth lol

• everywhere  |  September 15 2013, 12:12AM

hereandthere....drowned!!

• hereandthere  |  September 15 2013, 1:08PM

everywhere, me drowned? See, you are in fantasy land again, poor boy. You lot couldn't 'drown me', you don't have any substance.

• everywhere  |  September 15 2013, 3:45PM

Haha...Playing the cool cat then???

• everywhere  |  September 15 2013, 6:05PM

IainS..It aint worth the bother....It would be best if the so called poster just went away and sorted his gender issues!

• hereandthere  |  September 15 2013, 6:14PM

everywhere, you waffle too much. Keep your fantasies to yourself.

• everywhere  |  September 15 2013, 7:30PM

Ohhhhh...pinky in killer mode!!

• hereandthere  |  September 15 2013, 9:26PM

Hello everywhere, I see you are still imagining things. How are things in your pretend country?

• hereandthere  |  September 15 2013, 9:27PM

Hello everywhere, I see you are still imagining things. How are things in your pretend country?

• TruroCornwall  |  September 15 2013, 9:53PM

Better be careful...patriot 'everywhere'.....you will be 'eradicated'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......

• hereandthere  |  September 15 2013, 10:07PM

TruroCornwall, continues to make my case against nationalism for me by his childish posts. You hate me living in Cornwall which is a part of my country England, don't you? You can not bear the reality. You and your type will never, ever get anywhere because all you have is make believe. You can hate me all you like, but there is nothing you or anyone of your type can do to shift me or change anything, there never will be. Keep posting though, because when other members of the public read these posts they will see just how bad nationalism is. You will bring about your own downfall.

• TruroCornwall  |  September 15 2013, 10:30PM

Still here......haven't been eradicated yet.....so to follow on from 'Cidercub'.......I confirm that the United Kingdom....and indeed England.......are historical constructs......and aren't essential or eternal.......as 'anbalores' earlier stated.....Better to have small, self governing communities.....like Cornwall anbalores - Better to have small, self governing communities Cidercub - But countries are historical constructs and are neither essential nor eternal Are you still wanting to......eradicate us all.....'hereandthereandnowhereinparticular'?""

• TruroCornwall  |  September 15 2013, 10:32PM

Still here......haven't been eradicated yet.....so to follow on from 'Cidercub'.......I confirm that the United Kingdom....and indeed England.......are historical constructs......and aren't essential or eternal.......as 'anbalores' earlier stated.....Better to have small, self governing communities.....like Cornwall anbalores - Better to have small, self governing communities Cidercub - But countries are historical constructs and are neither essential nor eternal Are you still wanting to......eradicate us all.....'hereandthereandnowhereinparticular'?""

• TruroCornwall  |  September 15 2013, 10:37PM

• Taxman100  |  September 16 2013, 10:29AM

TF says, "Neither are from Cornwall. So not really very Cornish or British then - just English racists". This is a particularly odd comment when only recently we were being told on this forum that anyone who believed themselves to be Cornish, were Cornish. "To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity". "The past is always a rebuke to the present. The past is largely myth, so can rebuke nothing".

• everywhere  |  September 16 2013, 2:00PM

It was me that said that,but not in the way you have presented it??..One can become Cornish by adoption..Cornishness cannot be acquired with a simple statement,so dont use me to back your argument in defence of those EDL thugs!!!

• Taxman100  |  September 17 2013, 3:13PM

everywhere. I do not support or defend extremism, no matter where it rears its ugly head. Neither do I hold extremist views. Until someone is arrested and convicted for the execution of this crime we cannot say who was responsible, as there are a number of possibilities. Interestingly, the following is not explained adequately, "one of those attacked, George Berridge, a recent journalism graduate, believes his career path may have prompted the attack".

• hereandthere  |  September 18 2013, 12:03AM

Who was that then, IainS? Tell us, but be careful....

• hereandthere  |  September 18 2013, 12:04AM

I see the nationalists are still peddling their pretend versions of things.

• Slimslad  |  September 18 2013, 7:29AM

I am puzzled about mention of "eradicate", and "eradication" from some?

• everywhere  |  September 18 2013, 9:51AM

Hey hereandthere...Still peddling the words pretend, and fantasy.and of course eradicate!!..So,in your little world of pretence,and fantasy,how is your final solution to the Cornish question progressing??....

• Big_Ger  |  September 18 2013, 11:38AM

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. Albert Einstein Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first. Charles de Gaulle Whether Cornish, English, or other nationalism, they are all the same, just hate masquerading as pride.

• hereandthere  |  September 18 2013, 2:13PM

Dear ThomasFlamank, perhaps you could tell us all who said anything about eradicating the Cornish people and exactly what they did say. Remember, no making things up. Oh, and be careful what you say.....

• hereandthere  |  September 18 2013, 2:15PM

ALL nationalism is a scourge on the world, we do not need it wherever it comes from. Nationalism is all about exclusion of others and hatred.

• everywhere  |  September 18 2013, 2:18PM

Quotes, are Quotes only BG....No matter who makes them!..So,round and round we go!!..Its fine for you to sing your patriotism,be it English,or British isn't it??..Yet,for us that proclaim Cornishness,we get nationalist looney,or terrorist thrown at us!!..If I am a nationalist for my beliefs,then that makes you a nationalist also BG

• everywhere  |  September 18 2013, 3:33PM

Look hereandthere,you used the word eradicate in conjunction with nationalism,which implied that Cornish nationalists should be eradicated,which in my book smacks of extermination!!.. now in your last posting you say that all nationalism is the scourge of the world...Yet at the same time you impose your Englishness on us Cornish?? are you really that stupid pal?..not to realize the contradictions of your postings???

• Slimslad  |  September 18 2013, 7:44PM

Another "report" to the EHRC. Transparent nonsense.

• Big_Ger  |  September 18 2013, 8:50PM

I will give you £500 if you can quote me "singing patriotism,be it English,or British" here everywhere. Or shall I just call you the fraud you actually are? Poor old Cornish nationalists, they have nothing but made up myths and untruths to offer, no wonder their cause is bust.

• everywhere  |  September 18 2013, 9:57PM

Myths and fantasy..BG? hereandthere your mentor now??...Had a dream last night!!..Penryn bridge,pike staffs and heads!!...Best you keep your £500 to feed your face...Big Wig,among the tories are you then??..Fraud!!..Never saw you at the Falmouth Conservative club,when Seb Coe was holding court?? he was another fraud,who had to keep digging in his pockets for notes,when we questioned him?..What then of Cameron,at the conference in russia,re Syria??...How sad,a bit player trying to play in the big league,and being ignored!!...France, BG, are among the big boys now!!..not England!!..Little England,no industry,no military,no say!!..

• hereandthere  |  September 18 2013, 10:46PM

everyhwhere, it is not me being stupid, pal, it is you being too blind to see or understand. I could not have made myself any clearer but you and your friends decided I meant something else simply because you thought it would be clever to do so. Now, tell me how I am imposing anything on you. Cornwall is a county of England and has been for many, many centuries. The onus is on you and your buddies to prove otherwise. But in lord knows how many decades, you have all failed at that, miserably. You all use the same old waffle written by the same old people with who knows what agendas, and every bit of it has been and continues to be shown up as nothing more than, at best, wishful thinking on the nationalists behalf. Yet we are all meant to bow down to you and agree. You have nothing, everywhere, except make believe and a hell of a lot of attempts to re-shape history. IF you ever took the trouble to actually look at more sources of information than ones provided/written by your fellow nationalists and keep an open mind, then you would soon see why your nationalist beliefs including that rather key one of Cornwall being a country, are nothing but a sham. Now, please, don't come back with all the usual nationalist nonsense, I have heard it all before.

• hereandthere  |  September 19 2013, 3:33PM

ThomasFlamank, you are not being very clever, are you, misrepresentation is something you nationalists are expert at. Truth is simply not something that bothers you. Not being bothered about truth also allows you to twist facts until you get them pointing to what you want to be true. Your continued attempts to steal a part of English/British/UK history and culture from us is disgusting.

• TruroCornwall  |  September 19 2013, 3:45PM

936 Athelstan's settlement fixes the east bank of the Tamar as the boundary between Anglo-Saxon Wessex and Celtic Cornwall. 1120 (circa) Ingulf's Chronicle records Cornwall as a nation distinct from England. 1173 Reginald, Earl of Cornwall, grants a charter to his 'free bugesses of Triueru', possibly during 1173, and he addresses his meetings at Truro to 'All men both Cornish and English' suggesting a continuing differentiation. Subsequently, for Launceston, Reginald's Charter continues that distinction - 'To all my men, French, English and Cornish'." 1261 A Charter for the removal of sea sand distinguishes between rights in Cornwall and England. c. 1280-1290 Mappa Mundi [in Hereford Cathedral] shows the four constituent parts of Britain as England, Scotland, Wales and Cornwall 1509 Henry VIII's coronation procession includes "nine children of honour" representing "England and France, Gascony, Guienne, Normandy, Anjou, Cornwall, Wales and Ireland." 1515 As part of the colonisation of Ireland an English official suggests that one man should be sent from "every parish in England, Cornwall and Wales". 1535 Polydore Vergil's Anglica Historia describes Britain as being made up of "Scots, Welsh, English and Cornish people" and that "England is limited on the West part with the bounds of Cornwall and Wales." 1603 Upon the death of Queen Elizabeth, the Venetian ambassador described her as ruling over five different peoples: English, Welsh, Cornish, Scottish and Irish. http://tinyurl.com/2evkh3q Just like Cornwall Council says......Cornwall.....a nation distinct from England.....and hereandtherebutnowhereinparticular......can't change what our government says

• hereandthere  |  September 19 2013, 4:10PM

And here comes TruroCornwall, who thinks it's clever to keep posting lists in the hope he is making a point. All he succeeds in doing is showing us how ignorant and childlike he is.

• TruroCornwall  |  September 19 2013, 5:44PM

936 Athelstan's settlement fixes the east bank of the Tamar as the boundary between Anglo-Saxon Wessex and Celtic Cornwall. 1120 (circa) Ingulf's Chronicle records Cornwall as a nation distinct from England. 1173 Reginald, Earl of Cornwall, grants a charter to his 'free bugesses of Triueru', possibly during 1173, and he addresses his meetings at Truro to 'All men both Cornish and English' suggesting a continuing differentiation. Subsequently, for Launceston, Reginald's Charter continues that distinction - 'To all my men, French, English and Cornish'." 1261 A Charter for the removal of sea sand distinguishes between rights in Cornwall and England. c. 1280-1290 Mappa Mundi [in Hereford Cathedral] shows the four constituent parts of Britain as England, Scotland, Wales and Cornwall 1509 Henry VIII's coronation procession includes "nine children of honour" representing "England and France, Gascony, Guienne, Normandy, Anjou, Cornwall, Wales and Ireland." 1515 As part of the colonisation of Ireland an English official suggests that one man should be sent from "every parish in England, Cornwall and Wales". 1535 Polydore Vergil's Anglica Historia describes Britain as being made up of "Scots, Welsh, English and Cornish people" and that "England is limited on the West part with the bounds of Cornwall and Wales." 1603 Upon the death of Queen Elizabeth, the Venetian ambassador described her as ruling over five different peoples: English, Welsh, Cornish, Scottish and Irish. http://tinyurl.com/2evkh3q Just like Cornwall Council says......Cornwall.....a nation distinct from England.....and hereandtherebutnowhereinparticular......can't change what our government says

• hereandthere  |  September 19 2013, 7:31PM

There you go, proving me right. Your material has run out, TruroCornwall, I think you need to get some writers in to make you funny again.

• Big_Ger  |  September 19 2013, 8:53PM

I offer everywhere £500 if he can quote me "singing patriotism,be it English,or British" here, and what does he come up with?? More bluff and bluster. So I'll take it that, yet again, he has no credibility, no honour, and is a stranger to the truth. Just like most Cornish nationalists then. Mind you, when he subscribes to a campaign based on myth and half truths, what more could we expect.

• IainS  |  September 19 2013, 9:33PM

The report concerns English people beating up others. I didn't see any mention of Cornish people doing such things, or am I missing something? So what is with all the waffle above?

• IainS  |  September 19 2013, 9:34PM

And if I were you hereandthere, I should watch your apparent tantrums very carefully, lest I be forced to email the website moderators about you yet again.

• everywhere  |  September 20 2013, 9:29PM

IainS...why make an issue of hereandthere??..the best thing to do, is we all ignore him??..failing that,just toss him the odd insult..he likes that...I think he gets off on it..

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!