Login Register
 °

Discussion

“UKIP membership in Cornwall below 100 as global membership of this right wing party remains at 9,200.”

By West Briton Posted: July 05, 2012

4 comments

4 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • poldice  |  July 05 2012, 11:33AM

UKIP IN Cornwall has only a 100 members, well that makes MK's reputed 600 membership look pretty good then. Being non political it does strike me that UKIP do actually have views and passion which is more than you can say for the mainstream Tory... New Labour... Lib Dems toadies who all seem to stand for the same things so you cannot really tell the difference between them. Why does it take a party deemed right wing to stand out from the herd? Maybe its because they dare to think the unthinkable and have the courage to say what they are thinking which on occasions strikes a chord with a very disaffected electorate weary of being failed by their own chosen parties. The mainstream parties have so failed their loyal supporters that the door is wide open to others to walk in and cause a major political upset. Who knows many may choose to register a protest vote next time around.

• youngcornwall  |  July 05 2012, 12:20PM

by poldice "UKIP IN Cornwall has only a 100 members, well that makes MK's reputed 600 membership look pretty good then." After 60 years of trying you could be right, slowly but surely, but how long are the electorate going to wait for MK to come up with the goods? It is a good chance that UKIP could well overtake, regarding membership.

• Slimslad  |  July 05 2012, 12:48PM

"UKIP IN Cornwall has only a 100 members, well that makes MK's reputed 600 membership look pretty good then. "Reputed"? Mr Cole, (Leader of Mebyon Kernow), stated there were 600 members.

• poldice  |  July 05 2012, 3:53PM

OK if you want to be picky Dick Cole confirmed 600 members I know that there would be a significant increase in MK membership if they were to up their game and field genuinly electable candidates in tune with voter aspirations. We need passion and vision not sandal shod academics in duffel coats trapped in the past, lets have some credible well thought out and clearly costed policies that plot where Kernow is headed because we all know where its been. They certainly need to up their game considerably to achieve critical mass and I say that as a nationalist broadly in agreement with MK's aims and aspirations but seriously underwhelmed by their lack of performance and voter appeal being acutely aware that its a tough old world out there where the incumbent anglophile politicos bite hard and fight dirty. If the MK leadership do not grasp this unpalatable nettle they will remain as they are, fail Cornwall and its long suffering people and continue to be an easy target for London hacks to extract a few lines of cheap copy out of. In reality given the dire state of the main political parties this ought to be easy but I fear that MK may yet snatch defeat from the jaws of victory which is very depressing.

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!