Login Register

Discussion

“Saint Piran National Day latest update from Redruth:

Just back from a packed and very enthusiastic meeting at the Town Hall. The Grand Bard will be joined by several other Bards of Gorsedh Kernow and will make an address in Cornish and English as will the Mayor of Redruth and the Rector of Reduth all of whom speak Corniah.

Our youngest Cornish speaker very aptly named Piran aged 12 years, will speak in Cornish whilst laying the commemmoration at the foot of the Miner's Statue in memory of those Cornish Miners around the world who gave their lives.

Wall to wall Cornish music at the main town car park which has been closed by Cornwall Council for the day.

Cornwall Councillor Bert Biscoe and Bard Pol Hodge will be joining in.

Look out for our Cornish speaking Town Crier and Chair of the Chamber of Commerce (himself from London but now adopted Cornish!) Every business in the town is involved.

All local schools are participating. Drawings and paintings by the children of the Curnow Special School will be on display in Boots. 'Cornwall my homeland' is the theme.

The Arts Department at the Redruth Comprehensive are coming up with a remarkable and special project. Look out for it!

By popular demand, the Cornish National Anthem 'Trelawny' will be sung at the stage in the main car park part way through the procession.

Several choirs are to be present so this should be great.

Processional bands wearing kilts and playing Cornish bagpipes will be leading and bringing up the procession - Bagas Degol and Bagas Crowd.

Stalls in the car park.

Kressen Kernow in Alma Place will be open all day by Cornwall Council with children's workshops. Murdoch House will be open for light ongoing refreshments and illustrative histories of the Cornish.

The town will be decked in our National colours.”

By MapSerpren Posted: February 12, 2013

15 comments

15 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • MapSerpren  |  February 12 2013, 8:10PM

SATURDAY 2nd MARCH, 2013 1140 Procession gathers at St. Rumon's Gardens, Penryn Street and leading into Cross Street 1200 Procession commences led by Bagas Degol and representatives and invited guests A wayside stop at the Miner's Statue for a simple ceremony before continuing up Fore Street into Shute Row and thence Flowerpot Car Park. Community Singing (Trelawny) and short addresses by The Mayor of Redruth, The Grand Bard, and the Rector of Redruth. 1245 Return to St. Rumon's Gardens Ongoing music and stalls in Flowerpot Carpark and throughout the town! Don't forget Falmouth celebrates our National Saint for the first time this year as well joining the existing celebrations across the Country. Do try to make this year's massive events at Perranporth and don't confine yourself to Redruth although we do aim to be the best! Our MPs will also be celebrating in Westminster and our National Flag will be flown above some Westminster Buildings.

• MapSerpren  |  February 13 2013, 11:46AM

On line coverage of our efforts: http://tinyurl.com/afumrtm Keep listening to local radio. Our Mayor and members of the St. Piran working party are doing the rounds of the broadcasters!

• MapSerpren  |  February 14 2013, 9:36AM

The returns to the Mayoral St. Piran Day Competition have been truly incredible. One school has flooded us and a submission note carried the following words from the Head Teacher which I reproduce here: 'Please find enclosed the many suggestions from our pupils and we hope to hear that two of them will win the St. Piran's Festival Competition. Our school will be participating fully in the events and our children have enjoyed preparing for the day. There is a growing sense of Cornishness in our school and I know that others in the circuit are experiencing the same. This in turn encourages a sense of belonging in our communities sadly lost elsewhere. That sense of belonging, indeed, sense of place and identity is extremely important. Will you convey our thanks to the St. Piran Working Group for all the hard work which I know has gone into this event and we all hope that this celebration of Cornwall's adopted National Saint goes well.' I think that says it all really, don't you? I think back to those early pioneers like Will Coleman who drafted the first Cornish syllabus for schools in the hope that if we encouraged our youngsters, Cornwall's unique Celtic culture, traditions, heritage and history would be safeguarded from the blandness of other places. It looks as though it might and we can move forward sure in the conviction that we shall achieve what we all want in our hearts despite the naysayers.

• ThomasFlamank  |  February 14 2013, 1:12PM

It says it all. Excellent news. What more can be added?

• MapSerpren  |  February 20 2013, 7:22PM

Latest Piram newsletter from Redruth: http://tinyurl.com/azavwvn

• youngcornwall  |  February 21 2013, 9:23AM

"Flags of St Piran our patron may they forever continue to fly Over this our beloved Kernow with Cornish Choughs high in the sky" http://tinyurl.com/badv4z4

• PaddyTrembath  |  February 21 2013, 11:32AM

"1000 Flags of Mid Devon" Clearly an unimpeachable source.

• youngcornwall  |  February 21 2013, 12:13PM

"FREE Postage on all orders within the UK"... As well. Good isn't it. Gool Peran Lowen.

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 21 2013, 1:36PM

on talking to my younger relatives this reinvention of cornish awreness seems to have no effect whatsoever. Despite a couple of decades of having it foisted upon them. When describing Cornwall they remember genuine traditional events , such as Helston Flora, or relate to the real natural attractions of Cornwall such as surfing. In short they do not identify with this oh so precious concept of Cornish national identity....in fact they want no part of being recognised as different{wich they are not} especially as many want to experience the wider world as soon as they are able. They already have a pride in thier county much the same as my generation do without any concocted mythology based on adopted traditions and fake symbolism.

• youngcornwall  |  February 21 2013, 2:07PM

by H_Trevorrow "on talking to my younger relatives this reinvention of cornish awreness seems to have no effect whatsoever. Despite a couple of decades of having it foisted upon them." Do not be misled with what is being said by nationalists who desire the monopoly of everything Cornish They are no better or worse than those with the thirst to get on with their lives and do not go around being so childish. yc

• Carvath  |  February 21 2013, 4:09PM

It's strange then isn't it "H_Trevorrow" how these events get bigger and better every year. Even over the last 5 years the towns and villages that have organised St Piran's Day processions have about doubled in number! Also, just look at how Cornish language classes have proliferated. Music, plays, celebrations, etc are all getting more popular. There seems to be widespread interest in it all.

• youngcornwall  |  February 21 2013, 4:40PM

Yes you are right there Mike, Cornwall will soon be a real live living Disney type world, you couldn't have it better really I suppose, if those playing their parts don't think they are playing any parts and the parts they are playing is real life, sad really but there you are.

• Carvath  |  February 21 2013, 9:07PM

A bit hard to make out what you were saying there. I'm sure many of your ilk, Youngcornwall, are playing their parts for all it's worth.

• MapSerpren  |  February 21 2013, 9:40PM

Just a reminder that every school in Redruth has participated willingly in this celebration of our National Saint. Indeed, teachers have worked withus by serving on the St Piran Working Group. Our school pupils are really enthusiastic about this National Holiday and Redruth School (Comprehensive) has been instumental in major parts of the festival.

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 22 2013, 11:49AM

Several mistakes there Mapserpren. Firstly he is an 'adopted saint' of cornwall . Correctly a saint of tin miners. Secondly Cornwall as a nation is a figment of your imagination, Cornwall is a county and Duchy not a nation.

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!