Login Register
 °

Discussion

“Reading the latest Redruth Record - the Redruth Town Council newsletter - I am so uplifted to read the news that Redruth is to be the home of our very own Cornish National Library and Archive Centre.

This will bring much needed work to this wonderful Cornish town - the World Capital of Tin Mining as recognised by UNESCO - whilst seeing Redruth retain the well used and popular Kressen Kernow (The Cornwall Centre) run by Cornwall Council.

I feel that the Mayor of Redruth, Cllr Judy Davidson MBE and all the other Councillors on Redruth Town Council are due congratulations in their dealings with Lys Kernow (Cornwall Council) and may I say that their use of the Cornish Language about the town, on their publications and even in the official Christmas decorations is truly inspirational!
This is being increasingly taught and spoken in the schools as at the Heartlands Centre recently where 300 local school pupils took part in a Cornish language play. Superb!

By developing and building on our own culture, we can succeed in our inclusive difference!

Keslowena Resrudh!”

By MapSerpren Posted: November 30, 2012

17 comments

17 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • Truro_Kernow  |  December 02 2012, 12:18AM

Good news from Redruth and for theest of our Country of Kernow. Kernow bys vyken!

• poldice  |  December 02 2012, 1:07AM

Here is an excellent example of a Town Council doing what it says on the tin by securing a vital facility by working with Lys Kernow to deliver this vital facility where it rightly belongs... its another cornerstone of Redruths return to the prosperity and vibrancy it so richly deseves... yesterdays triumphs underpinning the Towns future.

• Carvath  |  December 02 2012, 8:29AM

Great news for Redruth, a brown field development as well I believe!

• CallingtonFox  |  December 02 2012, 9:29AM

Yes I have to agree, it sounds like good news to me too. I have used the Cornwall studies centre as well and thought it was excellent. It makes me happy knowing Cornwall is a wonderful part of our country.

• Gurnards_Head  |  December 02 2012, 12:04PM

Right glad I am to hear it Foxy... I agree that Cornwall is a wonderful part of the British Isles... next to England like Wales... the Cornish studies centre enables ANYONE to conduct research and form their own opinions. Kernow Bys Vyken.

• Gurnards_Head  |  December 02 2012, 12:10PM

AS JOHN ANGARRACK PROPHESIED... "OUR FUTURE IS HISTORY"... another piece of the complex jigsaw that is reshaping our Cornish economy to our needs... present... and future... what a vibrant mix when you get large scale food production... vibrant companies like Pendennis Shipyard and DP Engineering... mixing with heritage and leisure to rebalance our future prospects.

• Dyhanow  |  December 02 2012, 1:30PM

It will be a great improvement to house both the Cornwall Centre and the Cornwall Record Office under the same roof. I've carried out much research in both of these establishments and always found them excellent. Not, of course, forgetting some of the other research facilities available: The Morrab Library at Penzance; The Courtney Library at the Royal Cornwall Museum and, for genealogy, the Cornwall Family History Society at Truro. All have proved useful to me at some point over the years. Several of the local libraries have come in handy too. At Exeter, where the two similar establishments: The Westcountry Studies Library (Including the Devon and Cornwall Record Society's many transcripts) and the Devon Record Office have recently combined in one building and are now known as the Devon Heritage Centre. Whilst it does make things easier, unfortunately, the building is a long way out from the city and it requires quite a bus ride from St. David's Station, which isn't very helpful and uses up valuable time. But, I guess, nothing's perfect. Is the proposed new site at Redruth handy for the station and buses? The present one certainly is.

• poldice  |  December 02 2012, 2:34PM

Unfortunately not quite as handy but still easily accessible on foot to the averagely fit person, the old brewry site is non the less an ideal location given that thought will hopefully be applied to making easily accessible to all.

• Dyhanow  |  December 02 2012, 4:12PM

Many thanks Poldice, It sounds like I'll manage.

• Slimslad  |  December 02 2012, 7:40PM

Dyhanow, appears out of the mists, as another supporter of nationalism. The list grows longer.

• poldice  |  December 02 2012, 7:51PM

You seem surprised my boy, you would given your hostile disposition, along with your motley cabal of cohorts be horrified to discover just how many of us there are, but that is for you to ponder and us to know. Onen hag hal.

• Gurnards_Head  |  December 02 2012, 8:05PM

Its like the iceberg that the Titanic struck slim, the white bit thats out of the water is easy to see... its what lurks below that makes the difference... I reckon you are far outnumbered by those who keep their own counsel until the time cometh.

• Tstrunk  |  December 02 2012, 8:10PM

Just out of interest would it be an idea if the nationalists had a forum on this site dedicated to only Kernow type posts?

• Dyhanow  |  December 02 2012, 8:58PM

by Slimslad Sunday, December 02 2012, 7:40PM "Dyhanow, appears out of the mists, as another supporter of nationalism. The list grows longer." Slimslad, - through the mists - I'm genuinely puzzled: How do you deduce I'm a supporter of nationalism? I've only made four or five posts, none of which suggest that. Please read them again. Dyhanow

• Truro_Kernow  |  December 02 2012, 9:36PM

Ignore them Dyhanow. All their details are revealed on a certain Facebook site and they are really not worth the bother. Some of them don't even live in our country of Kernow! This forum is called 'This Is Cornwall' and so it is and it's high time some of the English Nats on here remembered that fact. Brilliant news Map Serpren. Noting your sign on name, I am too! Keep the good news posted. Kernow bys vyken!

• CallingtonFox  |  December 02 2012, 11:13PM

TK: "Some of them don't even live in our country of Kernow!" "This forum is called 'This Is Cornwall' and so it is and it's high time some of the English Nats on here remembered that fact." Cornwall is a part of OUR country and does not belong to you alone, TK, it is high time you remembered that real fact.

• PaddyTrembath  |  December 03 2012, 12:48AM

Tstrunk wrote:- "Just out of interest would it be an idea if the nationalists had a forum on this site dedicated to only Kernow type posts?" Just out of interest, why?

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!