Login Register

Discussion

“REDRUTH SAINT PIRAN'S DAY WORKING GROUP

Redruth Community Interest Company (Registration No. 07489217)

The Elms Centre, 61, Green Lane, Redruth, TR15 1LS Kernow

REDRUTH PIRAN FEST NEWSLETTER

Redruth's Celebration of Cornwall's National Saint Piran - SATURDAY 2ND MARCH, 2013

The next meeting working on arrangements leading up to Redruth's very own Saint Piran's Festival is set for 7PM Wednesday 28th November, 2012 in the Saint Rumon's Club (formerly the Royal British Legion) Penryn Street, Redruth TR15 2SP where free parking is available.

A second very well attended and vibrant meeting has occurred following on from last year's massive Saint Piran celebrations. It was attended by the Mayor of Redruth, members of the Town Council, Redruth Chamber of Commerce, representatives from local schools, the Redruth Old Cornwall Society, representatives from Carn Brea Parish Council, the Redruth Community Interest Company, Redruth Radio and many others.

REDRUTH'S VERY OWN SAINT PIRAN'S FESTIVAL IS NOW FIRMLY SET FOR SATURDAY 2ND MARCH, 2013.

The theme of the day which celebrates our very own Saint Piran, a man of diversity and peace, is to be the colours black and white and local schools and indeed nursery schools are warmly invited to work with that theme for the grand procession with their young people even dressed as miners and bal maidens, fisherfolka and farming folk.

Very much a day of Cornish music, Cornwall's premier processional band, 'Bagas Degol' is set to lead the 'parade'.
At the time of writing, the 'Boeka Dancers' and 'Penkevyl the 'Oss' which have featured on many television programmes as well as with Paul Merton on his programme which explored Cornwall have confirmed their attendance as well as the Grand Bard of Gorsedh Kernow.

Many other Cornish Bands are stepping up to join in, some of them performing in the Cornish Language and the local churches are participating with addresses in Cornish.

(contd.)”

By MapSerpren Posted: November 10, 2012

9 comments

9 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • MapSerpren  |  November 10 2012, 4:53PM

A well known Cornish academic, author, playwright and University lecturer has expressed an interest in working with the 10 or so schools on a special Saint Piran project. The Mayor of Redruth is in liaison with the 'Krowji' centre, a cluster of Cornish artists and those in the creative sector to arrange their ongoing support for this increasingly well supported event. A musical event is set for the centre of town and Redruth Rugby Football Club are set to play a special Saint Piran's match at 3PM that day. Invitations are being extended across the seas to our fellow Nations of Brittany and Ireland, from whence Saint Piran came. One and All are invited to this growing event. email: mapserpren@gmail.com 10/111/2012

• Cadoc  |  November 10 2012, 7:47PM

Proper job Redruth! Went to the Miners' and Pasty Day and never saw so many National Flags of Cornwall in my life! The town was packed. I hope the same occurs for your St. Piran's event!

• Gurnards_Head  |  November 10 2012, 8:59PM

The news just gets better and better... poor old beleauguered post industrial Redruth... written off by so many is using Cornish culture to regenerate the heart of this iconic mining town... this will be another of a growing number of Cornish celebrations that confirm the Cornish are coming back. I hope the Baner Sen Peran flies proudly over the town clock is stark contrast to last weeks St Just Feast where the misguided Vicar caused uproar by flying the English flag... fortunately this was replaced by the Baner Sen Peran to the joy of St Justers one and all. Meanwhile down the road South Crofty is awakening from its slumber in preparation for mining to recommence once... more Cornish Boys are fishermen and miners too... neither the fish or tin ever went anywhere... these priceless resources were merely corrupted by bankers and politicians... but now the pendulum swings back in Kernows favour... its time is coming once more.

• MapSerpren  |  November 10 2012, 9:33PM

Many thanks for your kind comments gentlemen. People from many organisations, businesses as well as Councillors, schools, churches and so on are firmly behind this and the other Cornish celebrations in Redruth, the World Capital of Tin Mining. We are very proud of our old town. Please feel free to spread the news of Piran and Redruth.

• Gurnards_Head  |  November 10 2012, 9:59PM

Its an absolute pleasure to both hear and say positive things about the Town where I along with so many others were born MaySerpren. I have always believed in Redruth but have been greatly saddened over many years by the way it has been neglected by the powers that be as one by one the shops closed and the cattle market and historic brewery were lost to "progress". There is light at the end of the tunnel once more let us all support the town and ensure that the light is never dimmed again.

• Carvath  |  November 10 2012, 10:15PM

A great spirit. I'm sure Redruth's St Piran's Day will be a massive success.

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 11 2012, 5:57PM

You are absolutely right in what you say Gurnards_Head and indeed Cravath and Cadoc too. It is given me enormous pleasure to read of this and Redruth looks likely now to be the site of the new Cornish National Library and Archive which seemingly is going to be placed on the old brewery site. Redruth has lost much down the years but never its Cornish spirit and rarely have I come across a town where so many remain staunchly patriotic to Cornwall be they councillors, business people or the general population. St. Piran flags fly everywhere and it is one of the few towns where I have both heard and seen Cornish language in daily use - 'Boesty' - the cafe and 'Kygva' - the butchers amongst others. Of couse, the Cornish National Library will sit well alongside 'Kressen Kernow' - the town's Cornwall Centre which is run by Lys Kernow and which is extremely popular. St. Piran's Day has been celebrated in Redruth for three years now and will, hopefully join the town's Murdoch Day and Miners' and Pasty Day as well as its grand Nadelik (Christmas) celebations in popularity. Well done Redruth - one and all! Kernow bys vyken!

• MapSerpren  |  November 11 2012, 7:31PM

Many thanks, one and all. Please may I invite you to spread the news?

• MapSerpren  |  November 17 2012, 2:43PM

A very respectful 'bump'!

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!