Login Register

Discussion

“First there was the Porthemmet Beach hoax now in my inbox this little gem arrived:

http://tinyurl.com/b959dr3

Fabulous!

Kernow bys vyken!”

By Truro_Kernow Posted: November 12, 2012

82 comments

82 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • Cadoc  |  November 13 2012, 12:06AM

More than that - it's hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• JJLee  |  November 13 2012, 7:50AM

Little things please little minds

• Carvath  |  November 13 2012, 8:17AM

...and smaller minds take notice. Must say I thought it was hilarious.

• JJLee  |  November 13 2012, 8:34AM

You can't hate the roots of a tree and not hate the tree MX

• Carvath  |  November 13 2012, 9:11AM

Don't worry it's called a sense of humour.

• youngcornwall  |  November 13 2012, 9:26AM

by JJLee "You can't hate the roots of a tree and not hate the tree" In one way I suppose it is a relief for some to poke fun, a small sense of retaliation I suppose, only to leave the open wound of resentment and envy to continue to fester.

• cweatherhill  |  November 13 2012, 10:35AM

Well, JJ, I suggest you watch the film (and we see all too many families like the one in the film for real), where certain lines directly quote hateful statements about the Cornish in the Press. In particular, one in The Times by the odious Giles Coren where in just three sentences of a vicious tirade against Cornish people and culture, he uses the word "hate" no less than FOUR times. So, don't lecture us about hate. We only have to mention Cornishness to get a whole pile of it flung in our faces.

• Cadoc  |  November 13 2012, 10:41AM

Historical notes * Athelstan - AD 936. Ethnic cleansing against the Celtic Britons of Exeter. The twelfth century chronicler William of Malmesbury, wrote Urbem igitur illam quam contaminatae gentis repurgio defaecaverat... describing the event, which was translated by H. P. R. Finberg as "having cleansed the city of its defilement by wiping out that filthy race". * Documenting mutual hostility between English and Cornish people, the French ambassador in London, Gaspard de Coligny Chatillon wrote in 1538 that "The kingdom of England is by no means a united whole, for it also contains Wales and Cornwall, natural enemies of the rest of England, and speaking a language." * The history of the English Civil War reveals anti-Cornish sentiment in the 17th century. Roundhead propagandists drew on old prejudices and stereotypes in order to demonize the King's Cornish followers. Contemporary Issues * Giles Coren, journalist, wrote in The Times on August 13th 1999: "I hate the Cornish. I hate their poxy language which they make such a fuss about. I hate their fancy foreign food - like clotted cream- which makes the place stink, and I hate their fatuous demands to be treated as a nation". The article caused offence and was quoted by John Angarrack in his book as offensive to the Cornish people. The opening quote is quoted also in Working Papers 21: Cornish: Language and Legislation by Dr. Davyth A. Hicks at Mercator Linguisitc Rights and Legislation. It may however be noted, that Giles Coren has been called "abrasive", and that the Cornish are not the only ethnic group he has referred to in ways that have been criticised. *1999: In the Western Morning News, 7 September, A.A. Gill, a Sunday Times journalist described the Cornish as "mean" and "stunted trogldytes" who were "easily bribed". When this was challenged, Gill's editor shrugged off complaint as "the basic tools of a jobbing humorist". *2000: Petronella Wyatt in The Spectator, 24 June 2000 wrote an article called Cornish Loathing, complaining that "The Cornish loathe everything but sloth. They heartily dislike the English whom they regard as foreigners. The Cornish have no desire to work possessing less ambition to better themselves than a rich woman's poodle, the rich woman being the E.U. which keeps them going by way of outrageous farm subsidies... I love Cornwall (because) it must be the only seaside destination in Western Europe which has avoided Disneyfication. *2000: Carlton Television broadcast a programme called The Most Deadly Sin of Pride, on Friday, 7 July (22:30). The sin of pride was represented by several subjects including Cornish rugby supporters, Cornish Bards, Cornish Romanies, and French Can-Can dancers. Each of these was intercut with black and white archive footage from the 1930s, including Hitler at the Nuremberg Rally. *2007: Western Daily Press (Bristol) 28 November 2007 - South West Columnist of the Year, Chris Rundle wrote an article entitled "Saints alive! Pasty eaters demand new bank holiday" and goes on to describe his contempt for the "pasty eaters", their Cornish indigenous language, Saint Piran's day and describes Cornwall as "one of the most depressing places one can find oneself, with an economy barely more buoyant than that of Romania". The article begins with the question "When is someone going to put the Cornish in their place?" and describes the Cornish language as sounding "like someone speaking Urdu with a mouth full of nails". *2007: Leo Benedictus, in The Guardian in January, listed the following reasons not to move to Cornwall:- "Niche nationalism, Darkie Day, everyone's a Lib Dem, the missing generation, terrible football and cider."

• Cadoc  |  November 13 2012, 10:43AM

*June 2008: Students from Imperial College London were condemned for branding people from Cornwall as "*******" by Kerrier District Councillor Graham Hicks after he discovered a website in which was quoted, "The Royal School of Mines Hockey Club follows in a long line of RSM sporting prowess but most of all its about fun, drinking and beating the pulp out of little Cornish ******* who like to call themselves miners. The comments were removed from the website promptly." *Mebyon Kernow Novemner 2008: On his webpage, the Mebyon Kernow leader Dick Cole reported that in response to Peter Tatchell's article on the "Comment is Free" section on The Guardian newspaper's website , entitled "Self-rule for Cornwall", over 1,500 comments were received and that he was "disappointed" "to see so many negative, inaccurate and offensive posts". One such post is quoted as follows: "The Cornish wurzels deserve nothing but contempt and should be sent back to where they belong, labouring down the bottom of a deep hole, the deeper the better … heads full of pasties and rotten clotted cream … ******* all." Dick Cole went on to say that Peter Tatchell himself had described many of the comments as "anti-Cornish vitriol" and "bigoted stereotyped anti-Cornish posts". The Cornish have long memories. I think most of the abuse since 1999 has been covered in the film.

• JJLee  |  November 13 2012, 11:50AM

Who on earth is "us"? I never voted or heard of this CW. I am Cornish but also English. I enjoy a good laugh but not when it is feeding bigotry of those unemployed thugs who have nothing better to do than to lurk around the internet posting abuse and encouraging 15 yo children to be filled with hate. I have never heard a bad word against me for being Cornish, but then again I do not have a chip on my shoulder and always welcome anyone I meet without judgement. Most of all, I do not troll the net seeking things to moan about either or seek to stir any form of race hate. Let He Who Is Without Sin...

• Gurnards_Head  |  November 13 2012, 12:27PM

YEEEEEEEEEES... YEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAA... WOWEEEEEEEEE... WHOOP WHOOP!!!!! There is justice this brilliant skit just about sums the English pleb mindset. The really sad thing being that these are the types in real life that are moving in on us. OVER TO YOU... SL... YC... CF... B_G... AD NAUSEUM GET YER FALSE TEETH INTO THIS LITTLE LOT... THE FLOOR IS YOURS BOYS.

• poldice  |  November 13 2012, 12:58PM

The tourists depicted would appear to be Sun reading supporters of their national football team with digestive problems caused by their obviously unhealthy diet based on carbonted drinks and chips. The wad of cash flashed to the indigenous people they had contact with tends to suggest that they may be involved in the black economy, perhaps HMRC ought to pay particular attention to badly dressed fast food consuming tourists who pay using huge wads of cash. The bottom line being that however ridiculous they make themselves or however obnoxious their behaviour some one some where will always turn a profit catering for their needs so bring em on.

• Cadoc  |  November 13 2012, 3:49PM

Cornish or English JJLee. You really can't be both. It would be like saying you are Scottish and English, or Welsh and English now wouldn't it? The Cornish were on this island of Britain long, long before the English and England were ever heard of. CW - have a read; one of his books 'Cornovia' is a standard in schools in the Duchy. Craig Weatherhill: http://tinyurl.com/3el4d59 Cornovia: http://tinyurl.com/btnsqz6 Please also note the hatred shown towards the Cornish by English journalists and so on which is detailed in my post at 1041 and 1043 of today's date - 13 November, 2012 Yes, the English are good at giving it out, aren't they?

• Carvath  |  November 13 2012, 5:07PM

Craig is also very well-known for his series of books on Celtic Cornish place names and their derivation.

• CallingtonFox  |  November 13 2012, 6:00PM

This from 'Cornwall a History' by Philip Payton: "…..leaving aside the powerful ideological motives of the revivalists in wishing to locate the Cornish identity in a Celtic origin, there is for us the additional complication that archaeologists, historians, linguists and anthropologists cannot themselves agree a definitive answer to the question 'who were (and are) the Celts'". Also from the same book: "….despite the deep-seated Celtic tendency to regard the English as the Johnny-come-lately interlopers in these islands, the English nation-state was in fact the first to emerge." But of course the neo-Celts do not want to acknowledge such facts.

• Gurnards_Head  |  November 13 2012, 7:46PM

Powerful ideological motives? no simply a deep sense of duty as a steward of our wonderful land to hand it on as unsullied as possible to those who come after rather than meekly stand aside and let alien invaders desecrate what is precious and irreplaceable. I am not concerned in the least whether a bunch of pseudo intelllectuals agree or disagree about Cornish origins. This effectively makes us similar to the Basques who unlike us Cornish take no truck from anyone who seeks to meddle in their internal affairs. As a result their culture is thriving and they enjoy virtual autonomy to shape their own destiny within their own ancient country.

• CallingtonFox  |  November 13 2012, 7:58PM

Well, Mr Head, if you wish to make-up your own history and versions of events then that is your prerogative. Sadly for you, facts and legality are what actually counts.

• KernowGB  |  November 13 2012, 8:03PM

@CallingtonFox (re Tuesday, November 13 2012, 6:00PM) You have already tested the water with those quotes and have been responded to on 'the Other Thread'. Check these responses out here (re 9th October 4:15PM and 4:30PM:) http://tinyurl.com/9gbemmn (Perhaps, looking for a different response???)

• Gurnards_Head  |  November 13 2012, 8:08PM

Our views differ Pard... accept it and move on because your lectures become tedious... I have no obligation to justify anything to you or your ilk... if you dont like it I am afrid thats tough!

• CallingtonFox  |  November 13 2012, 8:19PM

I know I used those quotes before, KernowGB. They are still true whatever your response. G_H, in that case I suggest you ignore me and I shall ignore you also.

• KernowGB  |  November 13 2012, 8:48PM

@CallingtonFox (re Tuesday, November 13 2012, 8:19PM) The quotes are undoubtedly "true" (I also have the book), but what do they actually mean - using the fuller quotes, used by you within 'the Other Thread', and also my linked responses and those of myghternda in mind?

• CallingtonFox  |  November 13 2012, 9:08PM

They mean, what they say.

• KernowGB  |  November 13 2012, 10:53PM

@CallingtonFox (re Tuesday, November 13 2012, 9:08PM) I have no doubt that they mean what they say, but what is essential to know (and convey to others) is what are the quoted items saying to you... in your own words? Namely, your own personal interpretations. Interpretations that you would pass on - as it was so eminently put by Gurnards_Head - because of "simply a deep sense of duty as a steward of our wonderful land to hand it on as unsullied as possible to those who come after". I only ask, because we seem always to have differing (ie. opposing) interpretations of what others are actually saying and meaning.

• CallingtonFox  |  November 13 2012, 11:25PM

From Philip Payton's book: "…..leaving aside the powerful ideological motives of the revivalists in wishing to locate the Cornish identity in a Celtic origin, there is for us the additional complication that archaeologists, historians, linguists and anthropologists cannot themselves agree a definitive answer to the question 'who were (and are) the Celts'". KernowGB, they mean that there is no consensus over whom and what the Celts exactly were or are, the author makes it abundantly clear that we just do not know. I have tried to find out more but all avenues lead to 'we just do not know'. From Philip Payton's book: "….despite the deep-seated Celtic tendency to regard the English as the Johnny-come-lately interlopers in these islands, the English nation-state was in fact the first to emerge." KernowGB, this shows the myth of the Celts (whoever they were/are) to be able to claim they had a nation-state before the English (if at all). I am sick of being told this is not my country, it is and it is England. I can claim as much 'Celtic' heritage as anyone else on here but it does not stop me being English, because that is the Country I live in and identify with, the peoples of which have been forged by history. To live in history, however is akin to attempting to unstitch a jersey, nobody ends up with anything except a fight for the wool which they will all claim to own. Paradoxically, I do wish for a future when we accept this world is one world and that nobody has a right to claim any part of it as solely their own. Nationalism spreads nothing but hatred, whichever nationalist side rises up.

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 14 2012, 12:27AM

I am Cornish, Callington Fox. I am not English. I am that because the Oxford University/The Wellcome Trust told me so. My closest genetic relatives lay on the west coast of Wales. The Oxford University/ The Wellcome Trust told me that too. They also told me that I am genetically different - not better, not worse - than many in England. In fact, the pack they sent me after taking blood from my arm, 3D photographs of my face and hands, a sample of my skin and testing my taste buds, show a clear dividing line between Cornwall and England. I was also told my genetics pre date the arrival of the English on these islands. Now, if anyone else wishes to declare themselves Cornish they are more than welcome. I welcome them. By birth, adoption or choice which under every law in Europe, they are allowed. I am not English. I do not want to be. I happen to think that as in many other parts of this world, a small place like Cornwall could govern itself. Other small states, independent and federal do, we could. I see you have quoted from Phil Payton's book. I know him well. I also know many other academics and others who have written about Cornwall and the Cornish. I also note that you have been selective in your quote. I could do the same, many, many times over. Note, I am Cornish. I am also European. Because I speak a Brythonic language, Cornish - I could easily write this entire post in Cornish were it not for the rules of this forum - I am probably Celtic. Perhaps I should quote you from Dr Alan Kent's latest book 'Celtic Cornwall' (Alan is every bit an equal to Phil.) but then again I realise that your mindset would not allow any ingestion of what is said. You have made that perfectly clear. I run with the ideas put forward that to be Celtic, one spoke a common Brythonic or indeed, Gaelic language and believed or followed a certain lifestyle. But of the fact that I am Cornish and not English have no doubt. Now, finally, your arrogant stupidity is beginning to annoy me. I therefore may just ignore your Anglocentric and ignorant postings from hereon. If you want the rotten, wormy filth that lays at the very heart of the English Imperial System, as well demonstrated by the goings on at the near criminal Westminster Parliament, the criminal BBC, the criminal financial system, the horrific record of bloody conquest and warlike behaviour I have witnessed, then you feel free to avail yourself of it. I want none of it. This is Corwall, I am Cornish. I hold a European Passport with British Citizenship. I am not English nor have I ever been asked or encouraged to say I am because my answer would be clear and leave no room for doubt. That is good enough for me. Kernow bys vyken!

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 14 2012, 12:34AM

As an addition, tonight I watched the news. I note that there is a bi election over in England and that the BNP are standing with a candidate. On the clip, I watched these grubby, nasty little individuals stuffing envelopes and what were they wearing? England baseball caps with the red cross on them. You want nasty nationalists? Try them. How dare you begin to lecture on here about Nationalists and lump us in the same boat as those thugs? Look to your system Callington Fox. When it comes to depravity, it is a world leader! Kernow bys vyken!

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 14 2012, 1:02AM

I think you are the troll, a nasty nationalistic, imperialistic little BNP pig. Not plastic but the real thing. You either live in Cornwall or England Mr BNP man. Take your George flag and wave it somewhere else. You are not welcome in my country. Kernow bys vyken!

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 14 2012, 1:05AM

And don't ever misquote Phil Payton here again Mr BNP. Ignorant pig that you are! Take a read, Mr BNP! http://tinyurl.com/6v5enuh http://tinyurl.com/cm2bc2h Now, sod off back across the river if you don't like it. Bram an gath! Kernow bys vyken!

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 14 2012, 1:07AM

Still waiting for proof that your beloved England and the English exist incidentally. T.R. MA (Hons) Cornish and Celtic Studies Kernow bys vyken!

• Big_Ger  |  November 14 2012, 8:03AM

It doesn't take much to bring out the hate and racism which lies at the heart of Cornish "nationalism." The nastiness and vindictiveness, name calling and spit, and inability to argue their corner without resorting to such manners, is the reason Cornish "nationalism" will always fail, and an accurate refelction of the type of person it attracts.

• Cadoc  |  November 14 2012, 11:30AM

All I ever see is nastiness from the English Nationalists, BNP, EDL and the like some of whom use this forum. The English Fox was provocative to Truro Kernow's excellent posting and got what he deserved. How any of you have got the neck to post on here, in your various internet identities, beggars belief. Big_Ger and his nasty little team, you really couldn't make them up!

• KernowGB  |  November 14 2012, 11:37AM

@CallingtonFox (re Tuesday, November 13 2012, 11:25PM) Many thanks for those clarifications. With regard to the first, namely: "KernowGB, they mean that there is no consensus over whom and what the Celts exactly were or are, the author makes it abundantly clear that we just do not know. I have tried to find out more but all avenues lead to 'we just do not know'." The only thing that it clarifies is 'who or what' were the Celts in prehistory, which begs the question as to why that should be a topic, or point of discussion/argument, in the 21st century, and what is its relevance to anything? I am assuming that there is no argument about the existence of, what are described as, the Celtic languages? These links might provide some method of comparison: Celtic - http://tinyurl.com/bjn83ve Germanic - http://tinyurl.com/bfdpk6j With regard to the second, namely: ""KernowGB, this shows the myth of the Celts (whoever they were/are) to be able to claim they had a nation-state before the English (if at all)." It is unclear where that assertion derives from or why since the concept of nation-state is a completely modern term. I must also repeat a previous response that you are using that 'original' quote completely out of context, because the intention of its author prof. R R Davies, is to draw attention to the historical focus of English history at the expense of the other peoples on the island, who are now "repaying the compliment" in kind. "But now that the academic establishment is in apparendy full retreat from the concept of continuous English history, now that courses on English history are being repackaged apologetically, if not always substantively, as British history courses, and now that a search for a British dimension is in vogue in the study of almost all centuries of the past from the medieval period to our own day, it may be opportune to ask what constitutes the identities of die different parts of die British Isles. Several answers readily suggest themselves. One, I beg to submit, is the identities of its different peoples." [obvious typos not altered] A nation-state is a political construct and it reinforces the concept of 'the English' as an Imperial entity that it gobbles up it neighbours and distant relations to consolidate what was described by Davies as: "Nowhere in medieval Europe was the POTENTIAL of a nation state realised at an earlier date than in England, where the gens Anglorum and regnum Anglie came early to be regarded as co-terminous" [my capitals] Whilst such terms were not contemporaneous to the period, It could be argued (not that I do!) that the progressive erosion of Dumnonia/West Wales into, what became increasingly known as Cornwall, became also, by default a political construct that its inhabitants coalesced into a community within a territory (against a common enemy) with the 'potential' to become a nation-state. There was obviously some form of political agreement/treaty between Howel and Athelstan, which is attested by subsequent treatment of Cornwall, relative to the English Crown. But, once again, is any of this relevant?

• CallingtonFox  |  November 14 2012, 11:53AM

KernowGB, you are the only one I have any respect left for on the nationalist side. The only way to prove yourself right is for you and like-minded people to take all this through the courts. Otherwise you continue to gain nothing and your ideals will never be realised. I am sorry, I have done, and will continue to, research, but I do not agree with you regarding Cornwall not being a part of England and I have used the same sources as you. Until I have been proven wrong by highest court possible I am going to continue to call this county of Cornwall, England and I will continue to celebrate its part in England's history and culture. I have already told you that I do not like nationalism (there is a paradox in wanting to 'belong' in all of us I accept), because it breads hatred. The outpourings of two posters on here, I would hope you find reprehensible, but they only go to highlight my reasons.

• Gurnards_Head  |  November 14 2012, 12:06PM

I cant help feeling that Mr Blobby dislikes the Cornish... last week it was exagerated outrage as he huffed and puffed his way through the highly amusing St Just Feast flag affair... this week the Porth Emmet skiit has his blood pressure heading north once more. The man obviously has a humour malfunction being in serious danger of boiling his water at amusing little episodes that inject a little local colour into an otherwise beige anglophile landscape (many people will be aware of the Big Yins opinion of beige people) lol.

• Cadoc  |  November 14 2012, 12:44PM

Right on Gurnards_Head. It's strange how the Anglos condemn nationalism then all stand to attention when the Queen's dirge is being played, watch their soldiers march up and down at the changing of the guard, wave their flags when their teams are playing, expect us to observe their traditions which aren't ours, read their newspapers which print 'Gotcha' when a ship sinks taking down a hundred or more Argentinians to their end, refers to the Second War whenever their football team play the Germans and so on and on and on. It's odd that they squeak and squeal about immigration and the EU and talk of this blessed isle of 'England' then forget that many of us are not English. They really baffle me. Then the English Fox starts quoting from one Professor and gets quoted another back (Payton v. Stoyles) and then the Fox starts bandying around the '****' word and then cries when he gets it back. You really couldn't make any of them up. Cornwall will never be in their England, an England that probably never was and is certainly fragmenting and long gone and we Cornish we never be English.

• ColensoJory  |  November 14 2012, 12:56PM

@CallingtonFox Wednesday, November 14 2012, 11:53AM "I am going to continue to call this county of Cornwall, England and I will continue to celebrate its part in England's history and culture." What part exactly is that? What major role has Cornwall contributed to English culture or history worthy of celebration?

• KernowGB  |  November 14 2012, 1:43PM

@CallingtonFox (re Wednesday, November 14 2012, 11:53AM) That is very kind of you. I believe that any discussion about the Cornish Paradox should be about 'the words' and not 'the person' delivering the words, because I feel that the Cornish arguments are incontrovertible truths. Your comment, namely: "but I do not agree with you regarding Cornwall not being a part of England and I have used the same sources as you. Until I have been proven wrong by highest court possible I am going to continue to call this county of Cornwall, England and I will continue to celebrate its part in England's history and culture." Like the BBC, fails to get to grips with the fact that what you consider to be 'evidence' and 'legal' are the very things that are disputed, and that being State-driven our recourse through the State legal system is virtually cut-off. Both sides of this paradox could easily come together to get it settled once and for all by simply insisting that there is an 'external' independent judicial review of the whole shenanigans. You say, also, that you use the same evidence as myself and come to an opposite conclusion. I am unaware of any of 'my evidence' that you have actually discussed, but will continue on that front on 'the Other' thread. I would have been doubly grateful if you had 'picked up' on the various comments in my previous post to your good self.

• CallingtonFox  |  November 14 2012, 1:51PM

"Both sides of this paradox could easily come together to get it settled once and for all by simply insisting that there is an 'external' independent judicial review of the whole shenanigans." This I can agree with.

• Slimslad  |  November 14 2012, 3:16PM

CallingtonFox, I think you are doing the best thing possible and ignoring the insults. They are mere provocation.

• CallingtonFox  |  November 14 2012, 3:34PM

KernowGB posted: Wednesday, November 14 2012, 11:37AM "The only thing that it clarifies is 'who or what' were the Celts in prehistory, which begs the question as to why that should be a topic, or point of discussion/argument, in the 21st century, and what is its relevance to anything? I am assuming that there is no argument about the existence of, what are described as, the Celtic languages? These links might provide some method of comparison:" My response: I have to say I agree with you regarding the relevance of the Celts in the 21st century. But until people stop using them as a basis for their beliefs then the question must be addressed, do you not agree? To accept the term 'Celtic languages' supposes we know who or what the Celts were/are. There were languages which have required labels and 'Celtic' is an easy label; ancient languages or native languages maybe more accurate? The second part of your post appears to address the fluid nature of the presentation of history? If so, then yes it does change with new found facts or reinterpretations. You also use a quote to address the 'difference' of peoples within the British Isles. We are all individuals but trace our ancestry back far enough and expert opinion suggests we all came out of what is now the African continent. People formed into groups and spread throughout the world, going their different ways settling where they fancied. Basically though, we are all human and experts tell us, we are from the same place. The nation-state quote I used in conjunction with the fact that we do not know who or what the Celts were simply because of the 'we were here first as a nation' argument put forward by some to try bolster their stance. Until we remove the 'Celts' as a basis for any debates there is not going to be a great deal of progress. Quote from KernowGB: " Whilst such terms were not contemporaneous to the period, It could be argued (not that I do!) that the progressive erosion of Dumnonia/West Wales into, what became increasingly known as Cornwall, became also, by default a political construct that its inhabitants coalesced into a community within a territory (against a common enemy) with the 'potential' to become a nation-state. There was obviously some form of political agreement/treaty between Howel and Athelstan, which is attested by subsequent treatment of Cornwall, relative to the English Crown." My response: I see exactly what you are driving at, but some do support the 'progressive erosion' 'political construct' ideas, what about them? A political agreement/treaty, yes, it would seem so. KernowGB: "But, once again, is any of this relevant?" My response: As the past creates the present, then, yes, but we all need to be aware of contexts and usage of historic and current personal opinions being used as evidence or worse as proof.

• cweatherhill  |  November 14 2012, 3:49PM

Truro College? That didn't even exist when in my schooldays! You people don't half talk some bloody bowjy.

• cweatherhill  |  November 14 2012, 3:50PM

Of course, you might not understand the word 'bowjy'.

• Slimslad  |  November 14 2012, 3:53PM

"Protagonist "-one who plays the first part, chief actor" Didn't really mean you, Weatherhill, but if the cap fits. LOL

• Big_Ger  |  November 14 2012, 8:21PM

Oh dear, I see the bullies of Cornish nationalism are resorting to calling me childish names. Well that's a fine advert for Cornish nationalists Lets see now, join our Cornish nationalist cause and you came; Blame all your failings in life on the English. Veto Westminster laws (but never actually do so.) Arrange protests which no one attends. Claim your right to have history books written the way you want them. Go on hunger strike, but quit if you become hungry. Reply to any challenges to the way you think with insults. Fail at ever election. Demand that the Cornish are seen as a national minority. Demand that anyone and everyone can be Cornish if they want to be. Steal vicars flags. Burn down an empty brewery. Threaten to smash Chef's window. It's a fine life as a Cornish nationalist! Can't get a well paid job? Blame the English! Can't afford a house? Blame the English! Don't get your own way in life? Blame the English! But then, if someone points out how wrong all your thinking is, then all you have to do is call them names and lie about them being EDL or BNP members! This is even more fun when you are a member of the Cornish equivalent of the BNP and EDL as a Cornish nationalist!! Nationalism, it's your excuse for everything!! .

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 14 2012, 8:39PM

PS. My college and Uni days ended a long time ago. Just ask another of your English fans, H_Trevorrow! Kernow bys vyken!

• Cadoc  |  November 14 2012, 9:23PM

1. Cornish language officially recognised and funded 2. Cornish language being taught in many schools 3. Dual language sign posts 4. No English roses on tourist signs in Cornwall anymore 5. More and more Cornish celebrations in our towns and villages 6. Cornish mining heritage recognised by the UN 7. Cornwall Council positively encouraging Cornish people to declare that on their census forms 8. Doctors, Hospitals and any Council service administration including a Cornish tick box in the National Identity monitoring forms 9. 44% of school pupils now declaring themselves Cornish in the PLASC survey 10. Even the Tories now calling for devolved powers over heritage, business matters and the like 11. Visit Cornwall remove references to England from their website and literature 12. Increasing numbers of MK, Cornish leaning independent and Cornish leaning Lib Dem Councillors 13. Cornwall recognised as a distinct region in its own right by the EU in respect of European funding 14. St Piran's Day recognised and celebrated in Westminter 15. The National flag of Cornwall appears on the Royal Barge Gloriana in precedence with other National Flags 16. There still is no St George flying over St Just - Reverend Leach wouldn't dare! 17. Cornish language broadcasting on BBC Cornwall 18. Dr Loveday Jenkin represents Cornwall and participates in a Council of the Isles meeting 19. Cornwall Council research into methods of governance in Guernsey 20. and on and on! Should I continue Big_Ger? And no, I am also not a college student Mr English Fox but so what if I were?

• twain1  |  November 14 2012, 9:30PM

Nice one Truro_Kernow, it's priceless!

• Gurnards_Head  |  November 15 2012, 12:19PM

Facebook? tell us more.

• KernowGB  |  November 15 2012, 11:17PM

Part 1 of 2 01) - by CallingtonFox - Wednesday, November 14 2012, 3:34PM "I have to say I agree with you regarding the relevance of the Celts in the 21st century. But until people stop using them as a basis for their beliefs then the question must be addressed, do you not agree?" ----------------------------------------- My point in fact was: what 'today' is the relevance of 'who' or 'what' were the Celts in prehistory? I have no problem with anyone using the term Celt/Celtic in the 21st century, because it derives from the historically identified language which is termed 'by the experts' as "Celtic", as opposed to "Germanic" and with which our territory has been associated with for the past. 2000 plus years. I am unaware of the 'origins' of its name, but a rose by any other name…etc., ad nauseum …. The linguistic fraternity, however, have considered it to be appropriate, which should be sufficient, in the absence of contradictory evidence, for anyone. 02) - by CallingtonFox - Wednesday, November 14 2012, 3:34PM "The second part of your post appears to address the fluid nature of the presentation of history? If so, then yes it does change with new found facts or reinterpretations. You also use a quote to address the 'difference' of peoples within the British Isles. We are all individuals but trace our ancestry back far enough and expert opinion suggests we all came out of what is now the African continent. People formed into groups and spread throughout the world, going their different ways settling where they fancied. Basically though, we are all human and experts tell us, we are from the same place." --------------------------------------------------------- That quote of prof. R R Davies, making the reference to the 'different peoples', was making the point that these were being ignored by the Anglo-centric presentation of history within Britain - One of those 'peoples' being the Cornish. It was clearly not making any tangential reference to some distant genetic origins from the area that eventually became known as 'Africa', which again, has no relevance to any discussion focussing on the modern historical period. 03) - by CallingtonFox - Wednesday, November 14 2012, 3:34PM "The nation-state quote I used in conjunction with the fact that we do not know who or what the Celts were simply because of the 'we were here first as a nation' argument put forward by some to try bolster their stance. Until we remove the 'Celts' as a basis for any debates there is not going to be a great deal of progress." --------------------------------------------------- I feel that you are bringing together many unrelated items here, namely: 'nation-state', 'nation' and 'Celts' and playing at semantics. I still fail to comprehend your continued persistence in bringing 'Celts' into the frame, or why you consider that it being used as a basis for debates. It is, surely, only about whether the Cornish (or their predecessors, the West Welsh/Britons!) having a linguistic connection to a Celtic language, were here before the English (or their predecessors, the Anglo-Saxons!) having a connection to a Germanic language. If we wish to waste time on who was a 'nation' first, at a time when the term only existed in retrospective translations, then I would ask you to consider whether a relatively small group, within what had been described as that "Wales in a Corner" might have coalesced into a proto-nation before the much larger group within all the Anglo-Saxon-Jutish-Scandinavian territories that eventually became the Kingdom of England Continued

• KernowGB  |  November 15 2012, 11:20PM

Continuation Pert 2 of 2 04) - by CallingtonFox - Wednesday, November 14 2012, 3:34PM "As the past creates the present, then, yes, but we all need to be aware of contexts and usage of historic and current personal opinions being used as evidence or worse as proof." ------------------------------------------------------- I believe that it would be more correct to say that the past only provides the foundation that facilitates the creation of the present. However, there has to be a point where the 'there & then' is so distant from the 'here & now' that it ceases to have any particular practical relevance anyway, other than as some fascinating, but limited, academic exercise. The present can only ever be created in the present and be subjected to many forms of negative external manipulation. I am certainly aware of the context of history in providing an essential series of clues that are, in my opinion, even more important than Establishment-driven, and State-controlled, so-called, legal 'evidence' and 'proof', because such clues should provide the essential guide to how to proceed. Perceptions have been manipulated over a very long time-period, including 'now', to make that a virtually impossible task with regard to Cornwall.

• CallingtonFox  |  November 15 2012, 11:45PM

Hello KernowGB, I will reply to you properly tomorrow.

• CallingtonFox  |  November 16 2012, 5:01PM

By KernowGB Thursday, November 15 2012, 11:17PM "My point in fact was: what 'today' is the relevance of 'who' or 'what' were the Celts in prehistory? I have no problem with anyone using the term Celt/Celtic in the 21st century, because it derives from the historically identified language which is termed 'by the experts' as "Celtic", as opposed to "Germanic" and with which our territory has been associated with for the past. 2000 plus years. I am unaware of the 'origins' of its name, but a rose by any other name…etc., ad nauseum …. The linguistic fraternity, however, have considered it to be appropriate, which should be sufficient, in the absence of contradictory evidence, for anyone." CallingtonFox's Response: The point I am making is that many use 'prehistory' 'Celts' as the foundation for their current claims and beliefs. Indeed, and forgive me if I am wrong, you used them to answer another poster in this forum. I do have a problem with anyone using the terms 'Celt/Celtic' when they are being used to back up their position. The names and descriptions of Celt/Celts/Celtic are not even known to have been used by any race or races of people/s to describe themselves, it is just an easy label which is used to cover a whole range of peoples. To use it to describe an historic language or languages is simply a way of pigeon holing to make things neat. But this does not help matters when we later attempt to dissect it, it also does not lend credence to any argument. By KernowGB Thursday, November 15 2012, 11:17PM "That quote of prof. R R Davies, making the reference to the 'different peoples', was making the point that these were being ignored by the Anglo-centric presentation of history within Britain - One of those 'peoples' being the Cornish. It was clearly not making any tangential reference to some distant genetic origins from the area that eventually became known as 'Africa', which again, has no relevance to any discussion focussing on the modern historical period." CallingtonFox's response: I am not sure how true or untrue the statement regarding 'ignoring' any peoples in particular actually is. I agree that a regional approach to teaching history appears to not be a focus within history teaching as a whole but conversely there is a greater teaching of local history with Cornwall than there apparently is throughout the rest of the country or U.K. I was not suggesting that Prof. Davies did mention or reference genetic origins from Africa but I am pointing out that we are all more alike than we are different. To me this is deeply important when discussing 'differences' and using those 'differences' to move or stay apart from each other. To be continued....

• CallingtonFox  |  November 16 2012, 5:02PM

By KernowGB Thursday, November 15 2012, 11:17PM "I feel that you are bringing together many unrelated items here, namely: 'nation-state', 'nation' and 'Celts' and playing at semantics. I still fail to comprehend your continued persistence in bringing 'Celts' into the frame, or why you consider that it being used as a basis for debates. It is, surely, only about whether the Cornish (or their predecessors, the West Welsh/Britons!) having a linguistic connection to a Celtic language, were here before the English (or their predecessors, the Anglo-Saxons!) having a connection to a Germanic language." CallingtonFox's response: Why are they unrelated and how am I 'playing at semantic'? I have not been the one to 'persistently' bring the 'Celts into the frame', I am only addressing the subject as they are being consistently used to highlight why Cornwall and some of its inhabitants hold certain 'claims' to 'rights' at this moment in time. Until Celts/Celtic is dropped by others when debating I can not ignore them. The English and England are result of mixed people settlement or invasion over many centuries; the Cornish are a part of this. 'West Welsh/Britons' are labels given by those in history to those who lived in certain geographical areas, what relevance they have, when taken out of context and without knowing the thinking behind such terms, is unclear, even the term 'Germanic' covers who? I fail to understand why you put such importance on a language which has been artificially resurrected. It fell out of use for reasons that are once again not evident so where is the relevance? By KernowGB Thursday, November 15 2012, 11:17PM "If we wish to waste time on who was a 'nation' first, at a time when the term only existed in retrospective translations, then I would ask you to consider whether a relatively small group, within what had been described as that "Wales in a Corner" might have coalesced into a proto-nation before the much larger group within all the Anglo-Saxon-Jutish-Scandinavian territories that eventually became the Kingdom of England" CallingtonFox's response: I have no desire to waste time on anything and am happy to drop the subject. I note your request for me to consider the concept of a 'proto-nation', but of course the idea is subjective. The formation of England from many peoples being brought together is factual. By KernowGB Thursday, November 15 2012, 11:17PM "I believe that it would be more correct to say that the past only provides the foundation that facilitates the creation of the present. However, there has to be a point where the 'there & then' is so distant from the 'here & now' that it ceases to have any particular practical relevance anyway, other than as some fascinating, but limited, academic exercise. The present can only ever be created in the present and be subjected to many forms of negative external manipulation." CallingtonFox's response: I can accept that to a point but it must surely depend on the subject at hand at any one time as regards relevance or otherwise of historical events. Some events are certain and fixed, they are the bedrocks of our present and those can not be ignored. The present of course can only be created in the present but how much is it influenced by the past? Again this must surely depend on the subject at hand? Creation of the present is always going to be subject to negative and positive external manipulation, I am interested however, as to why you state that.

• CallingtonFox  |  November 16 2012, 5:03PM

Continued... By KernowGB Thursday, November 15 2012, 11:17PM "I am certainly aware of the context of history in providing an essential series of clues that are, in my opinion, even more important than Establishment-driven, and State-controlled, so-called, legal 'evidence' and 'proof', because such clues should provide the essential guide to how to proceed. Perceptions have been manipulated over a very long time-period, including 'now', to make that a virtually impossible task with regard to Cornwall." CallingtonFox's response: But the only concrete basis we have to move anywhere from is 'legal evidence and proof'. It is both wrong and dangerous to create a situation to suit based on subjective possibilities. We must surely acknowledge that which is factual first before we attempt any changes? Ended.

• Big_Ger  |  November 16 2012, 7:54PM

"1. Cornish language officially recognised and funded I have never disputed this. 2. Cornish language being taught in many schools I have never disputed this. 3. Dual language sign posts I have never disputed this. 4. No English roses on tourist signs in Cornwall anymore I have never disputed this. (a) 5. More and more Cornish celebrations in our towns and villages I have never disputed this.(a) 6. Cornish mining heritage recognised by the UN I have never disputed this.(a) 7. Cornwall Council positively encouraging Cornish people to declare that on their census forms I have never disputed this. 8. Doctors, Hospitals and any Council service administration including a Cornish tick box in the National Identity monitoring forms This sentence makes no sense. 9. 44% of school pupils now declaring themselves Cornish in the PLASC survey I have never disputed this. 10. Even the Tories now calling for devolved powers over heritage, business matters and the like I have never disputed this. 11. Visit Cornwall remove references to England from their website and literature I have never disputed this.(a) 12. Increasing numbers of MK, Cornish leaning independent and Cornish leaning Lib Dem Councillors I have never disputed this. 13. Cornwall recognised as a distinct region in its own right by the EU in respect of European funding I have never disputed this.(a) 14. St Piran's Day recognised and celebrated in Westminter I have never disputed this. 15. The National flag of Cornwall appears on the Royal Barge Gloriana in precedence with other National Flags "In precedence"? 16. There still is no St George flying over St Just - Reverend Leach wouldn't dare! Bullying, not nice. 17. Cornish language broadcasting on BBC Cornwall I have never disputed this. (a) 18. Dr Loveday Jenkin represents Cornwall and participates in a Council of the Isles meeting She was an observer, the council of the Isles is not a statutory body, but a voluntary one. 19. Cornwall Council research into methods of governance in Guernsey And? So What? 20. and on and on! You certainly do go on and on! Should I continue Big_Ger? Please do my friend, it's good to discuss. Nothing you have said here is new or enlightening. My quarrel is not with Cornwall and the Cornish, but the thugs and bully boys of Cornish nationalism, the Cornish BNP as they should be known. Ps .(a) Indicates something good for Cornish tourism.

• youngcornwall  |  November 16 2012, 8:18PM

"Ps .(a) Indicates something good for Cornish tourism." And the nationalist are playing right into the hands of those they are most against, you couldn't make it up.

• cweatherhill  |  November 16 2012, 11:12PM

That's MISTER Weatherhill to you, Slim.

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 17 2012, 12:07AM

The only thing you couldn't make up 'young' Mr Harvey is that 'Big' Ger accuses some of us as being members of the 'Cornish BNP' then squeals like a stuck pig when he gets a few insults thrown back. Would he accuse the SNP or Plaid Cymru of being like the 'Scottish BNP' or 'Welsh BNP'? I have invited him to do so. Bit he has declined to respond. So, this evening, I have not bothered to report his accusation to this website's moderators but to the EHRC and the Press Complaints Commission. Now, get this through your heads, the law allows me to be Cornish and not English and to refer to Cornwall as my Country. I will continue to do so whilst adding that only the England 'Big' Ger craves and fantasises over could ever produce something like the BNP and its street guerrillas, the very aptly named ENGLISH Defence League. As a few Tory politicians, you know, the sort 'Big' Ger and doubtless you admire have said, the most dangerous Nationalists are the English themselves and my, haven't we seen proof of that down these past times? Incidentally Mr Harvey, I take it that you did vote inthe Cornwall PCC poll or is that just another thing you couldn't make up? Kernow bys vyken!

• youngcornwall  |  November 17 2012, 8:57AM

"And the nationalist are playing right into the hands of those they are most against, you couldn't make it up." It is one thing getting little children involved waving their little flags etc, now we have the so called grownups contributing their bit to turn Cornwall into a real live Disney World, no need to make it up, it is all happening, and they cannot see it.

• Tstrunk  |  November 17 2012, 9:50AM

This film had a screening at The Cornish Film Festival. Also shown at the festival was another Cornish film all about a girl who gets pregnant by one of her own family members. Yes inbreeding, anyone seen that film? It was funny.

• poldice  |  November 17 2012, 10:48AM

Big_Ger you interest me more than the other naysayers in this somewhat unpleasant place that we choose as a jousting ground. You concede most of the facts that substantiate the progress that the Cornish movement has made and continues to make but you do it grudgingly as if being dragged along kicking and screaming by the irresistable force that peaceful focussed determination generates. But your acceptance is grudging and belicose distinctly lacking good humour or any sense of joy or fun however acceptance in any form is progress indeed and I respect you for it. You comment in point 16 about the precedence accorded to our Baner Sen Peran on the Royal Barge Gloriana is typical of your mindset, racked with trepidation. we are not seeking precedence, merely recognition and the equality that brings. That is what I feel was quietly and succinctly delivered on that remarkable day when everyone was a winner, the English lost nothing but Cornwall gained much. The Cornish have a predominantly Methodist - liberal (in the non political sense) tradition which complments the natural diversity that makes the UK unique. That said the twin curses of multiculturalism and political correctness despise without actually proscribing what I stand for as a native Cornishman merely wishing to peacfully enjoy my own culture and traditions in my own land which never has never been and never will be part of England. Yet this English devised, divisive, social system fawns on aggresive Islamic immigrants who openly express hatred for all things English with impunity, while threatening to crush any form of dissent or concern expressed by English people as racial hatred, from a social standpoint English politicians have potentially declared war on their own people. This from where I stand smacks of the most incredible hypocracy and double standards denoting a country ill at ease with itself and in serious danger of tearing itself apart without any input whatsoever from so called nationalists, dire predictions that England will become a Muslim state under Sharia law are becoming increasingly credible. I do not hate the English or indeed any other race I merely do not wish to be absorbed into them or their alien cultures for I am perfectly content with my own, merely wishing to be allowed to enjoy it peacefully without let or hindrance from elsewhere. The Porth Emmet saga was merely poetic justice skillfully encapsulating the Sun reading English pleb loads of money mindset that is so offensive to us, having previously been given condescending credence by superficial luvvies typified by the vacuous Caroline Quentin and fuelled by opportunistic estate agents who sell their souls for the next commission it was merely pay back time for the Cornish, executed with typical mischievious good humour. Enough of that moving on to your point 17 (my goodness havent we been busy?) your huffing and puffing about St Just Feast is mere clutching at straws, the majority of St Justers did not wish to see the English flag flying over their celebrations so resolute but considerate action was taken to rectify the situation, there was no THEFT and no VANDALISM one flag was lowered and neatly folded to enable the proper flag to be hoisted. Keep trying my friend but youm on a sticky wicket because we will alus 'ave an answer for 'ee.

• poldice  |  November 17 2012, 10:55AM

Tstrunk incest and inbreeding is not funny, it is tragic and sadly not just confined to Kernow it is universal. Sniggering at it denotes a puerile infantile minset that denotes that perhaps you should seek help for your obviously poor state of mental health.

• Tstrunk  |  November 17 2012, 11:41AM

Mr poldice, I didn't make that film someone else did and it is comedy film. And it was funny everyone was laughing. It seems from reading your post that you have never seen the film, yet you are now the judge and jury of a film which touches on the subject of inbreeding. That is a flawed stance on your part, I can understand why you jumped in at the deep end but until you have viewed this film how can you judge it?

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 17 2012, 1:08PM

Incidentally, the photograph on the dart board in this brilliantly made film is of Giles Coren, a Times 'journalist' who was abusive towards the Cornish and Cornwall in one of his articles. Indeed, most things spoken about the Cornish by the 'emmet' have been lifted from articles written about us by the English press. Kernow bys vyken!

• poldice  |  November 17 2012, 5:45PM

Thank you TC I detest the way this bunch of naysayers continually deride and sneer at anything to do with Cornish culture or Nationalists. The Porth Emmet skit was a stunningly effective riposte to the likes of Giles Coren who writes claptrap for moneyin the manner that sex workers sell their bodies and no win no fee lawyers their souls prostitutes one and all, I reckon BULLSEYE sums it up! As for you Tstrunk did I say you made the film? I was actually at part of the film festival in question although I did not see the short that you found so funny I did see a whole session on the Friday. Some were good, some were weird and one or two were down right objectionable, your shock horror reaction to my comment denotes the touchy feely indignation of a metropolitan leftie totally out of your depth in an earthy Celtic enclave where we do not describe spades as shovels. Incest is horrific and damaging and accompanies ignorance poverty and isolation which unfortunately, as in many other places, are not entirely erradicated within Kernow. Just try telling a damaged victim of such horrors that what they have experienced at the hands of father/uncle/brother is amusing, although it may be to desensitized film buffs who probably only experience life through mobile phones, ipads and xboxes. Kernow bys vyken.

• Tstrunk  |  November 17 2012, 7:32PM

It would be of use to stop lecturing people and then watch the film, as like much of the subject matter on this message board is taken way out of context by some, you are now also doing the same. You don't know me and I don't know you - impossible it is to understand this, but you have the wrong end of the stick. And it is looking like you have a big fat Cornish chip on your shoulder as having touched you in a way you didn't like you have gone and gotten all upset, over what you thought was at first a joke about Cornish inbreeding which turned out to something completely different, IE a real film that was screened at the festival. And as far as the BBFC goes, incest is against public decency so banned. So I am doubting very much the film would be really offensive to anyone, even god could find it funny. Try to think before you jumb and it will help stop you looking like a complete Cornish fool, lol http://tinyurl.com/amm6v6c

• Slimslad  |  November 17 2012, 8:46PM

I would probably concentrate on homelessness, primary and secondary poverty. Rather than flags,saints and DNA.

• PaddyTrembath  |  November 17 2012, 11:16PM

Tstrunk, May I remind you of your originl post regarding the other film:- Tstrunk :wrote:- Saturday, November 17 2012, 9:50AM "This film had a screening at The Cornish Film Festival. Also shown at the festival was another Cornish film all about a girl who gets pregnant by one of her own family members. Yes inbreeding, anyone seen that film? It was funny." I think that Poldice's interpretation of your post would seem a reasonable one. In view of your final comment in your last post:- ".......... complete Cornish fool, lol" it would seem that it was also correct.

• poldice  |  November 18 2012, 1:36AM

By golly the recently enfeebled anglophile stormtroopers are staging a counter attack, its a bit like being savaged by the proverbial dead sheep. Unlike you SL I am deeply concerned about homlessness and poverty including fuel poverty in the area where I live which in my day job I put a lot of efort into mitigating. Flags Saints and DNA seem to be a particular obsession of yours SL to me they are just a part of what I am and my life as a commited Cornishman, not an obsession. Better a Cornish fool TST than a shallow anglophile troll whose life appears to revolve around amusing film clips concerning inbreeding which in my books is incest, dont think I am lecturing you my boy I was merely expressing an opinion on a subject that that many more than me would find repugnant. I recently had a similar exchange with another anglophile trading under the pseudonym of callington fox and my retort to you is is the same as then, if you dont like straight talking tough luck, lets agree to ignore each other from here on in shall we? because for me the thread is exhausted.

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 18 2012, 2:13PM

Better flags and DNA (incidentally the study was sponsored by the Wellcome Trust) than Trident, rusting new multi billion pound submarines and illegal wars eh, slimslad? Incidentally, I trust that you did vote in the election of a new Police Commissioner in Cornwall? Kernow bys vyken!

• CallingtonFox  |  November 18 2012, 2:56PM

by poldice Sunday, November 18 2012, 1:36AM "I recently had a similar exchange with another anglophile trading under the pseudonym of callington fox and my retort to you is is the same as then, if you dont like straight talking tough luck, lets agree to ignore each other from here on in shall we? because for me the thread is exhausted." Hello rambo. On a serious note, I do agree that the use of "Cornish fool" was uncalled for. If poldice wants to call himself 'Cornish' as a nationality, then it does nobody any good to use what could be therefore construed as a racist remark.

• Tstrunk  |  November 18 2012, 3:09PM

"anglophile" wrong again! I am not into using "race" as a tool to identified myself - I called you Cornish because after reading your postings that is how you want to be known isn't it? And it is me being respectful to call you Cornish - as for the use of fool and chip that is the way you come across, still haven't seen the film but your opinion matters what shall we all make of that? You are upset and you keep using the word "incest" and now "boy" maybe your a teacher/master, if you've been involved in abuse in the past then please except my apology, but as you have already acknowledge correctly 'I didn't make the film' so you should if you have a problem be complaining to whoever made this film, not me and only after seeing the film, so before you go in kicking off. WATCH THE FILM BEFORE REVIEWING IT, cornish man.

• Tstrunk  |  November 18 2012, 3:25PM

Personally, I hate any racist attitude and this film 'Porthemmet' is after all a bit of entertainment so no one should really get offended. However, what would we all feel if this film used say Asian people instead of English people? Would there be hell up or would it not matter?

• CallingtonFox  |  November 18 2012, 3:34PM

by Tstrunk Sunday, November 18 2012, 3:25PM "Personally, I hate any racist attitude and this film 'Porthemmet' is after all a bit of entertainment so no one should really get offended. However, what would we all feel if this film used say Asian people instead of English people? Would there be hell up or would it not matter?" Yep, "there would be hell up". What amuses me about the original subject of this thread and certain subsequent comments is the deep and clearly unseen, irony.

• Cadoc  |  November 18 2012, 3:39PM

I just bought Jim Wearne's latest CD. Looked it up on the web and here it is. The words and tune are brilliant! https://http://tinyurl.com/b9stotb

• Cadoc  |  November 18 2012, 3:41PM

By the way Mr English Fox and your little pals, everything the emmet says in the film has been said by English hacks about the Cornish. Consider that if you can. Contemporary Issues * Giles Coren, journalist, wrote in The Times on August 13th 1999: "I hate the Cornish. I hate their poxy language which they make such a fuss about. I hate their fancy foreign food - like clotted cream- which makes the place stink, and I hate their fatuous demands to be treated as a nation". The article caused offence and was quoted by John Angarrack in his book as offensive to the Cornish people. The opening quote is quoted also in Working Papers 21: Cornish: Language and Legislation by Dr. Davyth A. Hicks at Mercator Linguisitc Rights and Legislation. It may however be noted, that Giles Coren has been called "abrasive", and that the Cornish are not the only ethnic group he has referred to in ways that have been criticised. *1999: In the Western Morning News, 7 September, A.A. Gill, a Sunday Times journalist described the Cornish as "mean" and "stunted trogldytes" who were "easily bribed". When this was challenged, Gill's editor shrugged off complaint as "the basic tools of a jobbing humorist". *2000: Petronella Wyatt in The Spectator, 24 June 2000 wrote an article called Cornish Loathing, complaining that "The Cornish loathe everything but sloth. They heartily dislike the English whom they regard as foreigners. The Cornish have no desire to work possessing less ambition to better themselves than a rich woman's poodle, the rich woman being the E.U. which keeps them going by way of outrageous farm subsidies... I love Cornwall (because) it must be the only seaside destination in Western Europe which has avoided Disneyfication. *2000: Carlton Television broadcast a programme called The Most Deadly Sin of Pride, on Friday, 7 July (22:30). The sin of pride was represented by several subjects including Cornish rugby supporters, Cornish Bards, Cornish Romanies, and French Can-Can dancers. Each of these was intercut with black and white archive footage from the 1930s, including Hitler at the Nuremberg Rally. *2007: Western Daily Press (Bristol) 28 November 2007 - South West Columnist of the Year, Chris Rundle wrote an article entitled "Saints alive! Pasty eaters demand new bank holiday" and goes on to describe his contempt for the "pasty eaters", their Cornish indigenous language, Saint Piran's day and describes Cornwall as "one of the most depressing places one can find oneself, with an economy barely more buoyant than that of Romania". The article begins with the question "When is someone going to put the Cornish in their place?" and describes the Cornish language as sounding "like someone speaking Urdu with a mouth full of nails". *2007: Leo Benedictus, in The Guardian in January, listed the following reasons not to move to Cornwall:- "Niche nationalism, Darkie Day, everyone's a Lib Dem, the missing generation, terrible football and cider." *June 2008: Students from Imperial College London were condemned for branding people from Cornwall as "*******" by Kerrier District Councillor Graham Hicks after he discovered a website in which was quoted, "The Royal School of Mines Hockey Club follows in a long line of RSM sporting prowess but most of all its about fun, drinking and beating the pulp out of little Cornish ******* who like to call themselves miners. The comments were removed from the website promptly."

• Cadoc  |  November 18 2012, 3:44PM

*Mebyon Kernow Novemner 2008: On his webpage, the Mebyon Kernow leader Dick Cole reported that in response to Peter Tatchell's article on the "Comment is Free" section on The Guardian newspaper's website , entitled "Self-rule for Cornwall", over 1,500 comments were received and that he was "disappointed" "to see so many negative, inaccurate and offensive posts". One such post is quoted as follows: "The Cornish wurzels deserve nothing but contempt and should be sent back to where they belong, labouring down the bottom of a deep hole, the deeper the better … heads full of pasties and rotten clotted cream … ******* all." Dick Cole went on to say that Peter Tatchell himself had described many of the comments as "anti-Cornish vitriol" and "bigoted stereotyped anti-Cornish posts". Yep, the English - the biggest racists and bigots out as well proven by those Anglos who post here.

• CallingtonFox  |  November 18 2012, 3:55PM

Afternoon Cadoc.

• Tstrunk  |  November 18 2012, 4:00PM

Cassock are you of the "Cornish people can't be racist" school?

• youngcornwall  |  November 18 2012, 4:18PM

"However, what would we all feel if this film used say Asian people instead of English people? Would there be hell up or would it not matter?" I think this thread has had its run now. Who is to say those in that film were English? I know the intention was to depict them as such, the same as if they had used Asian, they may look Asian, but most likely as English as you or me.

• Cadoc  |  November 18 2012, 4:28PM

Did you vote in the PCC election for a candidate in Cornwall, 'youngcornwall'?

• Tstrunk  |  November 18 2012, 5:10PM

Cadoc Yep, the English - the biggest racists and bigots out as well proven by those Anglos who post here." But are you of the "Cornish people can't be racist" school?

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!