Login Register

Discussion

“THIS POEM IS ABOUT A MYTHICAL LAND CALLED DAFTLAND... IT HAS RUNG A FEW BELLS WITH ME.

Daftland.

We live in a country called Daftland
The England we knew is no more
Where sensible people do ludicrous things
Or risk breaking some Daftland law.

In Daftland we've police dogs with muzzles
Less the villain has cause to complain
And to steal from a shop and say 'sorry'
Means your free with no stain to your name.

You had better leave lights on in buildings
When you lock up and go home at night
'cause the burglars might hurt themselves entering
And there's no way you'll be in the right.

When speaking be wary in Daftland
As some terms that you've used all your life
Now have connotations unintended
And you'll end up in all sorts of strife.

We elect politicians in Daftland
To give us the laws of the land
Yet eight laws in ten now come from abroad
The whole thing has got out of hand.

The borders are open in Daftland
And of migrants there's no keeping track
Just a few of the thousands illegally here
Will ever be caught and sent back.

The exception to this is the hero
Who fought for this land in the war
He's old and he's sick, he might cost us a bit
So he's not welcome here any more.

When the history is written of Daftland
Historians may just recall
That the craziest people in Daftland
Were the public who put up with it all.

THE QUESTION BEING CAN ANYTHING BE DONE OR IS IT TOO LATE ALREADY?”

By Gurnards_Head Posted: November 20, 2012

97 comments

97 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • youngcornwall  |  November 20 2012, 1:01PM

If you think England is a daft land without it you would be better off Well on your bike as fast as you like and leave it to those who do not scoff.

• poldice  |  November 20 2012, 1:30PM

There there YC calm down YC dont get yer breeches in such a twist, its not a problem for me, I have no need to leave cos I was never there, this is Cornwall not England... I am Cornish not English... so I just stand on the sidelines and observe the daftness... no I will rephrase that... administrative ineptitude... run its almost inevitable course to the greater detriment of the whole diverse population of the British Isles.

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 20 2012, 2:16PM

Well said and a big DITTO poldice! Kernow bys vyken!

• youngcornwall  |  November 20 2012, 2:41PM

"I have no need to leave cos I was never there, this is Cornwall not England... I am Cornish not English... so I just stand on the sidelines and observe the daftness..." Being never there does anyone care? you make being English sound like a crime Just keep paying your taxes and keep within the law and everything will be hunky dory and just fine.

• poldice  |  November 20 2012, 4:08PM

Not a crime YC... more like a mugs game... pay yer taxes and shut up like good little plebs peferably without opinions... cos that might be awkward. But if you have a second home you used to get away with 50% council tax... but nothing is either hunky dory or just fine now cos its gone up to 90%... its a frequently mis-managed shambles... every one is unhappy. Onen hag hal.

• youngcornwall  |  November 20 2012, 8:00PM

Some Cornish are renowned for a good moan and grown without it they are never very happy So leave them in peace for the winter at least in Spring someone may have changed their nappy.

• Slimslad  |  November 20 2012, 8:56PM

Right-wing, reactionary nonsense.

• Slimslad  |  November 20 2012, 10:40PM

There was a young man from Kernow, Who gained an old bean from a cow. By climbing a stalk, all he got was a walk. And he is still posting on C24. LOL

• Gurnards_Head  |  November 21 2012, 12:47PM

Not your usual standard of literary masterpiece slim... surely you can do better if you were to really try... or are we beggining to come to the (for you) awful but inevitable conclusion that your beloved master race and its leadership is actually failing in its duty of care to all British People of which we Cornish are a constituent part?

• youngcornwall  |  November 21 2012, 3:54PM

"that your beloved master race and its leadership is actually failing in its duty of care to all British People of which we Cornish are a constituent part?" Try to keep it in the poetic mood Gurnards Head me ansum me old beauty You need to explain it would be a terrible shame if you didn't tell more regarding "failing in its duty".

• Slimslad  |  November 21 2012, 6:24PM

"Beloved master race"? Just a moment, G/Head. I am not the one talking of the "purer Celt" and "DNA-domination", as your little friends are doing. LOL

• Gurnards_Head  |  November 21 2012, 11:10PM

Me old handsome me old beauty... shades of Walter Gabriel there YC... you must be lost and confused because the Archers is set in middle Engerland... not Kernow!!! Slim I have no little friends... only true and trusty ones... I leave genetics to those who keep stud farms... I am my own person... beholden to no one... I leave the master race fantasies to you Anglophile neo colonialists who still think the maps should be shaded in pink... but it is all going horribly wrong is it not... your acolytes are simply not delivering are they?

• Slimslad  |  November 23 2012, 10:25PM

"Anglophile neo colonialists" "Anglophile - a person who favors English or British culture over their own" Seeing that I am English and British? Neo-colonialist - The economic and political policies by which a great power indirectly maintains or extends its influence over other areas or people. England, (or Britain), "A great power"? LOL

• poldice  |  November 24 2012, 12:18AM

England still labours under the delusion of being a great power... it is certainly neo colonist in respect of its iron grip on its oldest colony and its inhabitants demonstrated by its covert its policy of introducing unsustainable numbers of anglophile settlers. But that is changing as the faultlines of the union widen into spreading cracks... why even England is talking of independence... but this has no bearing whatsoever on our collective Britishness... I just happen to be Cornish British... after all it was the politically correct metropolitan liberal stablishment that invented multi culturalism... whats good for a Muslim is equally applicable to the Cornish... thats equality.

• TheOldGoat  |  February 22 2013, 2:34AM

Cheer up everyone, come down under to the Land Of Oz where we have a multitude of Asylum seekers landing on our shore from Iraq, Afganistan, Shri Lanka and other exotic countries. One our beloved government has made them all welcome they get everything imaginable given to them. Meanwhile the poor Aussie who has paid his or her taxes all their working lives are ignored. The Health system in tatters and education sliding out the back door sideways. These are the people who come to our shore and want Sharia Law imposed. The people who come to our shore and will not assimilate, The people who come to our shores and sell drugs to our kids and get involved in crime syndicates. We should be turning the boats around and towing them all back into the Indian ocean steering them back to countries of their origin. Very few are genuine refugees. So how do you overcome the problem? Well Australia has a Clean Up Australia day in march of each year. This year we will have two, one in March and the other 14th September when the current federal Government will be swept out of power along with the forever carping Greenies. You think you have it bad in pommyland? Come to the Sunburnt Country, you'll love it here, but make sure you have a passport and visior's visa.

• Tstrunk  |  February 22 2013, 9:31AM

TheOldGoat It really isn't as bad as these extrismist on here make out, in fact Britain has been a changing nation forever. We welcome many and have free movement across Europe which is a great aspect of being part of Europe. Sadly we here in Cornwall have a dozen or so right wing types who tend to be loud mouthed as you can clearly see by looking at the content of many posts. It is not about coming together foe these extremists more about separating and that in a nut shell is why no one in Cornwall supports them. Have a nice day mate.

• Chopper8  |  February 22 2013, 10:51AM

by TstrunkFriday, February 22 2013, 9:31AM ''Sadly we here in Cornwall have a dozen or so right wing types who tend to be loud mouthed as you can clearly see by looking at the content of many posts. It is not about coming together foe these extremists more about separating and that in a nut shell is why no one in Cornwall supports them.'' Couldn't agree more with you, Tstrunk, though I think you might struggle to reach the dozen mark even including yourself amongst your fellow anti-Cornish obsessives that spew their bile on these pages. Europe's a great idea and has given the Celtic nations far more recognition and support than our own UK parliament ever has - I'm surprised you're in favour. Still, nice to see that you EDL/BNP/Ukip types aren't so isolationist that you can't recognise and appreciate a fellow racist from the former colonies,eh? ''We should be turning the boats around and towing them all back into the Indian ocean steering them back to countries of their origin'' Nice,really nice...

• Tstrunk  |  February 22 2013, 11:20AM

Sorry chooper8, I am not a support of the EDL or the BNP etc. I do welcome all to democracy, something the Cornish nationalists don't like! Of course the Cornish nats see themselves as victims and are mostly the proverbial silly old Fools that is why they are unable to hold any political power. You'll probably disagree vehemnetly of course. But you're entitled to your own view. Now perhaps in return you'd be kind enough to tell us why you apparently think that being anti English is such a wonderful thing. Thanks!

• Big_Ger  |  February 22 2013, 11:24AM

Well I find the poem offensive, seeing as I live in Cornwall which is a county of England. (Its best county in fact!)

• youngcornwall  |  February 22 2013, 11:27AM

Nothing can tarnish us Cornish we are as bright as we ever will be We sold off our land and said that was grand now our children are worse off than you and me No houses can they afford live in bed and board and can talk Cornish until the cows come home A lot of good that has done it is not all fun when the shine has all come off the chrome yc

• Carvath  |  February 22 2013, 11:34AM

The more you write Tstrunk, the dafter you sound. That reply to TheOldGoat took the biscuit.

• Tstrunk  |  February 22 2013, 1:59PM

by CarvathFriday, February 22 2013, 11:34AM "The more you write Tstrunk, the dafter you sound. That reply to TheOldGoat took the biscuit." Apologies for that but I don't understand what you mean, but I am sure others on here will understand the point you are making. Durdatha whye!

• Chopper8  |  February 22 2013, 2:55PM

by TstrunkFriday, February 22 2013, 11:20AM "Sorry chooper8, I am not a support of the EDL or the BNP etc.'' I do welcome all to democracy, something the Cornish nationalists don't like!'' My humblest apologies Mr Jones, how stupid off me to infer from your endorsement of an openly racist post as in some way implying that you may also hold similar racist views. Where on earth do you get the impression that ''Cornish Nationalists'' don't like democracy? Perhaps you're 'smart phone' isn't as bright as you think? ''Of course the Cornish nats see themselves as victims and are mostly the proverbial silly old Fools that is why they are unable to hold any political power.'' Oh I see' now I get it. You're one of those nice middle class liberals who would hate to be classed as racist, wouldn't dream of insulting any one who originated from the sub-continent or Carribbean, probably now thinks 'Irish jokes' are verboten but that the Welsh are probably still fair game. As for the Cornish, well anything goes obviously, but at least your'e prepared to recognise us as a distinct group - even if the prefix to 'Cornish' is invariably negative e.g ''The trouble with the Cornish...''' ''The problem the Cornish have...''. Still, it's progress of a sort, step by tiny step - let's face it, back in the 70's you'd probably have been laughing at 'Love thy Neighbour''. ''Now perhaps in return you'd be kind enough to tell us why you apparently think that being anti English is such a wonderful thing. Thanks!" Where have I ever suggested such a thing? Go on, find a posting where I' ''apparently think that being anti English is such a wonderful thing''? I know your type love to invent fictitious facts in order to bolster your specious arguments in a risible attempt to belittle anything pro-Cornish which you bizarrely perceive to be some sort of 'threat'' to the status-quo- which is ANYTHING pro-Cornish - but I draw the line at this blatant lie. Go on, put up or shut up, though given your posting history I'll be surprised if you can manage either. '

• youngcornwall  |  February 22 2013, 3:17PM

by Tstrunk "Apologies for that but I don't understand what you mean, but I am sure others on here will understand the point you are making." It is known in the trade as "cocking a deaf un", Mike and some others on here are very good at that so they think, fools no one, as if it makes any difference if they understand or not at the end of the day. It makes me wonder who do they think they are sometimes, they seem to be under the elusion that everything has to go through them LOL, that is a laugh for a start LOL.

• Tstrunk  |  February 22 2013, 8:57PM

Chopper8 "Where on earth do you get the impression that ''Cornish Nationalists'' don't like democracy? Perhaps you're 'smart phone' isn't as bright as you think?" They been debating it on this site for last few days and it has been mentioned before. "Oh I see' now I get it. You're one of those nice middle class liberals who would hate to be classed as racist, wouldn't dream of insulting any one who originated from the sub-continent or Carribbean,..... No. "Where have I ever suggested such a thing? Go on, find a posting where I' ''apparently think that being anti English is such a wonderful thing''? I know your type love to invent fictitious facts in order to bolster your specious arguments in a risible attempt to belittle anything pro-Cornish" Didn't know you had, but good for you for not doing so. You seem like a nice chap but the likes of Angof and the rest, haven't really done you proud and have tarred you with looking like a placard-waving poppy-burning nutter and you Chopper8 are making the extraordinarily stupid mistake of equating a dislike of radical cornish nationalism with racism. But I know you will join me and others in expressing disapproval at comments like this which don't really help forge a friendly welcome and we have people using terms like blood banner and so on, is that OK by you? by PaddyTrembath "In fact, No sport where England are participating should be allowed to waste broadcasting time, England should be banned from TV"

• PaddyTrembath  |  February 23 2013, 12:29AM

Tstrunk, have the decency to provide a link, so that the quote can be read in context.

• Chopper8  |  February 23 2013, 12:57AM

by TstrunkFriday, February 22 2013, 8:57PM ''Didn't know you had,'' No, you didn't because you'd rather make unfounded accusations based on falsehoods to pursue your bigoted agenda. ''the likes of Angof and the rest, haven't really done you proud and have tarred you with looking like a placard-waving poppy-burning nutter'' What in Gods name have I got to do with any other poster? I post my own opinions, I'm not accountable to anybody else, we're not all members of some secret society and your lumping together of everyone you perceive to be a ''Nasty Nat'' only highlights your total ignorance - once again. You deny that your a racist - I notice that you stopped short of refuting the rest of my point about the Welsh and the Cornish so obviously I deduced correctly your stance regarding those two legally recognised ethnicities. Ergo, you are a racist. Would you like me to lump you in with the BNP/EDL/Ukippers who post here? ''.don't forget there is the final descent into stupid insults from some. Always the sign of someone who cannot defend their point." You post this right after the following little gem; ''you Chopper8 are making the extraordinarily stupid mistake'' Irony is obviously lost on you. But this is the one where you really lose any remaining shred of credibility; ''You make some good points youngcornwall'' Seriously, just check the posting history and please enlighten me. I'd rather be associated with 'Angof' than this, err, 'character'...

• Tstrunk  |  February 23 2013, 11:40AM

Wow, I think most people on here have got your measure by now that is one which avoids the question then go and accuse someone of being a racist, for the record I welcome everyone be they from Scotland, Wales or anywhere apart the vile Cornish nationalist types infact nationalist in general are not welcome who wish to cause division which I think you are one of them. The fact you can't bring yourself to to comment on the quote posted shows you up to be the one who is looking to have race problem. And as it has been mentioned on so many times the likes of Angof tar you all with the same brush, sorry about that but it has been said so many times not just by me but others And for the quote "nasty nats" who are you quoting me? I don't recall ever saying that. For the record what is your view based on? Go on here is your chance to state your case. For one and all, I bet you can't bring yourself to open up you'll have a reason to avoid showing just what you believe.

• Chopper8  |  February 23 2013, 12:34PM

by TstrunkSaturday, February 23 2013, 11:40AM "Wow, I think most people on here have got your measure by now that is one which avoids the question'' Brilliant stuff, from a man who refused to give a straight answer on this very thread! We've certainly got YOUR measure by now. Then you post this; ''And for the quote "nasty nats" who are you quoting me? I don't recall ever saying that.'' preceded by; '' the vile Cornish nationalist types'' in the very same post! This is comedy gold! I't did briefly cross my mind that you might be the same 'Terry Jones' of Python fame but I dismissed it as an impossibility. However, on reflection, you do seem to share the same sense of the absurd. ''infact nationalist in general are not welcome who wish to cause division which I think you are one of them.'' You ''think''? Well, that's good enough for me. Nothing like a few lazy generalisations and sweeping statements to construct an irrefutable case against the 'Nasty Nats' - oops, sorry -''vile Cornish Nationalist types'' - wouldn't want to lay myself open to accusations of misrepresenting you again. Sadly,if only that were true. Sadly, on current evidence,thinking does seem to be another area in which you are demonstrably lacking.

• Chopper8  |  February 24 2013, 11:16AM

by TstrunkSunday, February 24 2013, 8:00AM "Lol chopper8, do us favour answer the questions put to you." Which ones in particular? You see, you move the goalposts with such frequency, taking statements out of context, twisting words and selectively quoting to suit your anti Cornish agenda that it's hard to keep up - if you've got a life outside of this board. Tell you what, why don't you answer the questions I posed to you first, there's a good chap -and I mean fully, not just the little bits that you're comfortable with. I can imagine that it's not nice to be shown up as openly racist on a public forum, and full marks for your attempt to again divert attention away from your deeply unpleasant views, but give it a go. If it's too much of a challenge, perhaps you could ask your openly racist Antipodean friend to assist you, or even better, your new ''special'' friend '''young'Cornwall''. Oh yeh, almost forgot - ''LOL''.

• Chopper8  |  February 25 2013, 3:09PM

Weak response again Tstrunk, as to be expected but you keep on digging yourself deeper into your racist hole. Oh and if your going to attempt to be clever with language, at least make the effort to use it in the correct context - just how,exactly, can I be accused of ''rankism''? Even if it were a legitimate accusation - which it patently isn't - it sure as hell beats being a racist. But then, as noted before, thinking does seem to be another area in which you are demonstrably lacking.

• Tstrunk  |  February 25 2013, 3:49PM

I am not even sure you should or could call yourself Cornish the way you carry on but hang on the Cornish have a great tradition of being inventors with the likes of people like Richard Trevithick, and you a are great inventor of made up stories/points so.... Lol

• Chopper8  |  February 25 2013, 4:30PM

Wow, so much fail in one post - where to start... by TstrunkMonday, February 25 2013, 3:38PM "Looks like you are not getting much right chooper8,(sic) lets have looks shall we. "Nasty Nat'' never ever said that, in fact as it is in direct quotes you are 100% wrong on that one, lol'' No, 'Vile Cornish Nationalist types'' was your exact phrase, we've been through this already and your just making your self look even more stupid -''boy''. ''Theoldgoat is not my friend you got that one wrong.'' by TstrunkFriday, February 22 2013, 9:31AM "TheOldGoat -Have a nice day mate." Keep digging, son. "Welsh" another made up point from you that comes out of nowhere and shows you have an obsession with race. You really do have a problem with it but then you are a, and I'll quote you directly here "Nasty Nat'' ***? Are you on drugs? Wrong, wrong, wrong on so many levels - all of them, in fact. ''The more that you sprout (sic) the more racist you appear not me as we can see and it has been clear from outset you are a race hater, history proves in just about all you post'' No. It really doesn't you total fool. You tried to be clever in attacking the Cornish, got shown up for the racist you so obviously are and now you're desperately trying to extricate yourself from a situation that makes you look a complete and utter tool. Really? Lol you said that, yes you did. I wouldn't side myself to such a low life as Angof but there we go... Carry on Choopper8 (sic) let's some have some golden moments we can see what type of person you are, one who is obsessed with race more than likely DNA testing, family history etc the pure breed is it?" Once again taken completely out of context as you desperately flail around trying to clutch at any straw you can in the hope that it will save you from looking a bigger tool than you've already made of yourself. Quite how you manage to extrapolate someone ''obsessed with race'' and ''DNA'' testing out of my posting history is remarkable - and you have the brass neck to accuse me of making things up! Funniest thing of all, in your eagerness to rush to an ill informed and hopelessly incorrect conclusion - despite claiming to have read my posting history - I'm not even a Nationalist!!! You can't even get that right! LOL!! Give it up, son, and leave it to the big boys.Truly your contribution bears all the hallmarks of the work of an intellectual pygmy.

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 25 2013, 4:36PM

Steady Tstrunk he is a very sensitive soul is chopper8.....he is a victim you know.

• Chopper8  |  February 25 2013, 6:20PM

Well, who'd have thunk it - or even 'Tstrunk it'? Talk about anti-Cornish racism and avoiding the question, and right on cue a prime examplerears it's ugly head. Any answer to this question yet ''Trevorrow''? We all know that you hide desperately behind a Cornish name in a pathetic attempt to give your pitiful input some sort of legitimacy, but why, when the real H Trevorrow had to post on this board to distance himself from your bigoted rantings, do you persist in causing him and his family upset by continuing to hide behind his name? The fact that you continue to do so -even after he requested you did the decent thing and desist - says much,much more about the type of man that you are than mere words ever can.""

• Gurnards_Head  |  February 26 2013, 12:23AM

Just got back from a trip to Malta which set me thinking. Malta is an ISLAND NATION AND EX BRITISH COLONY LIKE CORNWALL STILL IS. Malta has a much smaller land area than Cornwall, a similar population with a largely tourist based economy with artisinal agriculture fishing and shipping which has several parallels with our own economy. They say a small country like Cornwall could never be economically viable but Malta is living proof that this is actually untrue becuse the Maltese have one of the worlds best healthcare systems, affordable rents which balance the lower wage rates whilst still giving Maltese people an acceptable living standard and a superb airport that obviously makes money.

• Slimslad  |  February 26 2013, 12:02PM

Another desperate attempt to "find the country similar to Cornwall". Today it is Malta.

• youngcornwall  |  February 26 2013, 12:32PM

by Slimslad "Another desperate attempt to "find the country similar to Cornwall"" I have never met so many people so disgruntled and so dissatisfied with there lot, anywhere seems to be better than where they live, Cornwall is only what they made it, and what they are making it now, if it weren't for those moving to Cornwall and making something of the place, and if left to those moaners that are doing the moaning now, they would have something to really moan about.

• Carvath  |  February 26 2013, 1:57PM

by Slimslad Tuesday, February 26 2013, 12:02PM . "Another desperate attempt to "find the country similar to Cornwall". Today it is Malta." It's quite normal for people to do that, it's called looking outwards for progress and improvement. For example, Austalia does it regularly between the UK and USA and more recently looking at business models of SE Asia. A while back officials from Cornwall Council were looking at Jersey. In many respects, I found Galicia in Northern Iberia shared some characteristics with Cornwall. There are marked similarities between Cornwall and Wales, Btrittany and Ireland also.

• youngcornwall  |  February 26 2013, 2:07PM

by Tstrunk "Youngcornwall, they don't understand free movement, more to the point they don't like it and there is little anyone can do to stop someone moving to Cornwall to live." Some would very much like to curtail the inward flow into Cornwall but the outward flow no, because they want to come and go the same as their ancestors have done since time in memorial, this is the true Cornish culture not sitting around making up or patching up some old language and cultivating the old hippie way of life brought to Cornwall in the 50s and 60s.

• Carvath  |  February 26 2013, 2:17PM

Did you move away for an education Youngcornwall?

• youngcornwall  |  February 26 2013, 2:50PM

No, why do you ask.

• Slimslad  |  February 26 2013, 3:58PM

"For example, Austalia, (sic), does it regularly between the UK and USA" There are marked similarities between Cornwall and Wales, Btrittany, (sic), and Ireland also." "Did you move away for an education?

• TheTruronian  |  February 26 2013, 4:18PM

Are you sic up there in Newcastle, Slimslad? When you grow up you will have to get a job and mum won't have to write to the school explaining your sic ness.

• youngcornwall  |  February 26 2013, 4:29PM

by Carvath "Many people move away for that reason YC." No I went to St Just secondary modern school Mike, "high school" top of Nancherrow hill LOL

• Slimslad  |  February 26 2013, 7:24PM

"Are you sic up there in Newcastle, Slimslad? When you grow up you will have to get a job and mum won't have to write to the school explaining your sic ness."? LOL

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 26 2013, 9:28PM

Just got back from Hiati it's roughly similar to Cornwall so lets have independence and tequilas all round darlings..I'm buying LOL

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 26 2013, 11:40PM

Later this year I'm visiting whatever banana republic is lowest on the GDP per capita list with a similar demographic to Cornwall and shall be declaring independence on my return... Darn this sangriais good stuff ...what...whato

• Slimslad  |  February 27 2013, 8:32AM

Nations by their populations,(that rhymes!) http://tinyurl.com/cxnyukd We can have a game of "Nations We Want To Be" I'll go first... Bahrain!

• Gurnards_Head  |  February 27 2013, 9:51AM

KAIPE 'ER GAIN ME 'ANDSOMES YOUM GETTIN YER KNICKERS IN A BRAVE TWIST 'COS YER CAINT RESIST THE BAIT CAN 'EE BOYS... DAFTLAND IS ALIVE AND WELL AND POPULATED BY THE LAIKES OF TREVORROW... SLIMSLAD... YOUNG CORNWALL... BIG_GER... TSTRUNK... TOLGUS... TAXMAN100...OLD UNCLE TOM COBLEY AND ALL... ALL THAT IS MISSIN IS THE OLD GREY MARE...BUT SHE'S DEAD AND BURIED... MAY THE GOOD LORD HELP US ALL 'COS WEEM GAIN TO NEED ALL THE HELP WE CAN GET WITH THESE DAFT CHARACTERS LOOSE ON OUR DAFTLAND STREETS TO SCARE OLD LADIES AND CHILDREN WITH THEIR VILE AND NASTY BILE... ON THAT POETICALLY PROWFOWND NOTE I AM GONE.

• Slimslad  |  February 27 2013, 10:14AM

"VILE AND NASTY BILE"? "The borders are open in Daftland And of migrants there's no keeping track Just a few of the thousands illegally here Will ever be caught and sent back. "

• Big_Ger  |  February 27 2013, 7:39PM

"Malta is an ISLAND NATION AND EX BRITISH COLONY LIKE CORNWALL STILL IS." States Gurnard Head. Last time I looked, Cornwall was neither an Island, nor an ex-British colony. I wonder where Gurnard lives, not our planet, surely?

• Slimslad  |  February 27 2013, 7:46PM

"Nations We Want To Be" Tonight's nation is.... Equatorial Guinea! http://tinyurl.com/5v6yb4

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 27 2013, 10:55PM

I think you'll find Equatorial Guinea is a Celtic nation on the grounds it's not England ...??

• ThomasFlamank  |  February 27 2013, 11:16PM

It's fun to watch the English system collapse into a third world economy (sic)

• Slimslad  |  February 27 2013, 11:31PM

"It's fun to watch the English system collapse into a third world economy (sic)" Whilst still managing to support the majority of the "Celtic Nations".

• Slimslad  |  February 27 2013, 11:34PM

"I think you'll find Equatorial Guinea is a Celtic nation on the grounds it's not England ...??" Hmmm... We may have to set up an independent focus group. Bisco! You're on!

• poldice  |  February 27 2013, 11:48PM

Its hilarious, wind them up and off they go by golly they really do get angry as their beloved system crumbles in on itself. I dont know about a Bannana Repulic but what with the downgraded credit rating Daftland is becoming the reality certainly are some daft varmints waffling along with each other here. Reckon Gurnards trip to Malta and his sucinct observations about the viability of small nations to prosper is the final straw for these living breathing Daftlanders, any way it was very mischievious of him to post this thread and very entertaining for us fellow Nats to savour the fallout it has caused. Support the majority of the Celtic Nations slim? we pay tribute to the Engerlish system whether we like it or not we want it all back its ours by right not theirs to fritter. Trevorrow must be a bit anxious what with his life savings invested in these bank rackets and property a bit like big _ger bet they are drippin like taps but in their case it will take more than a new washer to sort them.

• Slimslad  |  February 27 2013, 11:53PM

We must not forget to thank the United States Central Intelligence Agency, (C.I.A.), for their aid in compiling the "World Factbook" http://tinyurl.com/2h2e3k One criticism, (if I may?) Under "Select A Country or Location"? "Cornwall","Kernow" nor "Celtic Nations" gets a mention? Surely an oversight?

• polgooth  |  February 28 2013, 5:53AM

Slimslad - very good, the CIA that well thought of and respected organisation reknown for telling the truth the world over. Just wondering, is England applicable under the country selection default on their website ? brgds

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 28 2013, 7:44AM

The prospect of a pasty republic would be worrying .

• Big_Ger  |  February 28 2013, 9:42AM

"Support the majority of the Celtic Nations slim? we pay tribute to the Engerlish system whether we like it or not we want it all back its ours by right not theirs to fritter." Says Poldice. Lets look at the facts shall we? From Cornwall county council's website; Median gross annual pay in Cornwall was £22,068 (South West £24,922, England £26,165) The latest unemployment rate for Cornwall is 9.1% (South West 6.0%, England 7.6%) In the 2010 Index of Multiple Deprivation, 11% of the population of Cornwall lived in the 20% most deprived areas in Cornwall. 19% of children aged 0-15 in Cornwall live in poverty (2009). 19% of households are estimated to be in fuel poverty in Cornwall, higher than the England average of 16%. Fuel poverty defined broadly as a situation where a household spends more than 10% of its income on fuel costs. The Cornwall economy is worth approximately £7,001m in 2009 (latest gross value added figures). The gross value added per head in Cornwall is £13,129 compared with a GB average of £20,142 ( 2010). Cornwall is one of only four UK areas that qualifies for poverty related grants from the European Union. In 1999 it was classified as an Objective One region and given access to £350 million of European funding to revive its economy. In 2007 it was awarded Convergence status, which is worth another £415 million over the period until 2013. Average earnings in Cornwall are very low – the 2009 average (median) full time gross annual earnings were £20,982, below the South West and GB average. From this newspaper; Around £1 billion of EU grants have been spent on Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly since the mid-1990s to overcome industrial decline. But officials revealed the area's GDP is still below 75% of the European average, meaning Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly is in line for seven more years of help, worth around £410 million According to the European Commission, the Gross Domestic Deposit Product (GDP) of Cornwall and the Scillies was 71.9% of the European average in 2009, the latest available figures. The area's GDP, a measure of overall economic output and wealth, has fallen from a peak of 78% in 2006. But it is above the 66% figure for 1999 when the EU aid tap was turned on.

• PaddyTrembath  |  February 28 2013, 9:50AM

Big_Ger, shorly all that is proof that Westminster is failing Cornwall.

• Slimslad  |  February 28 2013, 10:12AM

"Its hilarious, wind them up" Slimslad - very good, the CIA that well thought of and respected organisation reknown for telling the truth the world over. I have always suspected that these neo-Celts lack a sense of humour or irony.

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 28 2013, 10:24AM

P T you are perhaps the most gullible person in the known universe.....it is the centre of industries , financial markets, services and high tech businesses up the line that pay for the rest of the uk......Poldice wants a seperate Cornwall even if it is as poor as Malta or Portugal or Greece . I only hope he has'nt punted a lot of his hard earned on this folly.

• Taxman100  |  February 28 2013, 11:38AM

HT. I think you have got it about right. The Neo-Celts, in desperation, see the glitter of Malta, Portugal and Greece as a blue print for a future Cornwall, but they fail to see the wide open sewers of poverty below. Fool's Gold! Oh, and you can add poor old financially corrupt Cyprus to the list too! The CIA is certainly respected around the Globe - why, they even nobly assisted Cornwall (as part of England and the UK) to become a member of the politically corrupt and financially bankrupt EU.

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 28 2013, 12:33PM

The levels of poverty are truly shocking . With few natural resources countries like Portugal barely hide the true picture... Children living rough... Shacks for homes ... Of course this is kept well away from the neatly groomed golf courses..... It is apaulling that gurnards has the crassness to overlook these poor souls. The best Poldice can hope for is a welsh style devolution . IMO this would amplify the problems in Cornwall - it would be a charter for nepotism and any extra investment would go straight to the bureaucratic machine anything surplus would be frittered on vanity inspired pet projects .... Exactly what's happening in Wales and as we can already see forming in Cornwall .... Heartlands , language funding, st piraña day. Etc etc ...... A paradise for fools.

• Gurnards_Head  |  February 28 2013, 12:40PM

Perhaps Paradise is intended for fools... we will never know unless we arrive there... and who knows about that... but it is a racing cert that the fool stands more chance of gaining admission than the... greedy... vain... bitter... or nasty.

• Gurnards_Head  |  February 28 2013, 12:56PM

Actually trevorrow children have been know to live pretty rough in your fabled sceptered isle that you extol so much depite its abundant natural resources. Who patronises those neatly groomed hideous golf courses. Why those who could do actually do something about poverty were they not so absorbed in hitting a silly little ball into an even sillier little hole. Nepotism begins at the top within the old boy networks of the evil establishment that waxes fat from sleaze and preferrement yet convieiently chooses to ignore genuine need lower down the food chain. Keep trying trevorrow your true character is being laid bare as a grovelling apologist for your nasty neo con post empire English system.

• Taxman100  |  February 28 2013, 1:54PM

GH. I do not play golf, as I have never seen the point of smashing a little ball around an area of manicured countryside. (I prefer the pleasures of the natural countryside and moorland). However, those whom I know who frequent them are more often than not those who put their money where their mouth is and have set up and run their own businesses: which drives the economy, provides much needed employment and helps to keep poverty at bay. I also know a number of golfers who are "ordinary, happy, working people" who clearly enjoy their sport. I suspect your comment may be inspired by, "the little green eyed monster"? And, I note there seems to be a few on this Forum who may have the same affliction.

• Gurnards_Head  |  February 28 2013, 2:42PM

Neither do I play golf taxman even though I have set up and run my own successful business which would presumably qualify me to play golf if I chose to, like you the joyous pleasure of our natural countryside or cliffs give me all the exercise and pleasure I need. I readily concede that many decent people of probably fairly limited means do indeed enjoy a game of golf and that is their perogative but I was acually referring more specifically to trevorrows reference to the sort of golf courses that the fat cats habitually frequent. I was merely highlighting the double standards of an exclusive golf club in relation to child poverty which unfortunately is all around us if we care to look there is no need to go abroad to find it unfortunately. What deeply concerns me is unbridled consumerism and the greed exhibited by so many who choose to spend money they havent got on junk that they really do not need but which the likes of trevorrow or big_ger would say is necessary for the economy to flourish which to me is bizzare given that most of the stuff is imported and often produced by children working in sweatshops. Dont worry about me I can assure you that I am not afflicted by the green eyed monster I have plenty sufficient for my basic needs given that I deliberately choose not to own a car or tv.

• Taxman100  |  February 28 2013, 3:37PM

GH. My apologies. I somehow missed the bit about exclusive Golf Clubs. I must also say I agree with your fourth paragraph. A couple of years ago I spent some considerable time in Brazil trying to help the Street Children - who were being shot (murdered) at random and then unceremoniously dumped on waste ground - it was at that time I learned the most about "fat cats" - for whom I now have no words of comfort!

• PaddyTrembath  |  February 28 2013, 4:01PM

H_Trevorrow wrote:- "P T you are perhaps the most gullible person in the known universe." And you, sir, are perhaps the most rude. It is comments such as that, that you feel the need to make against all those with whom you disagree, that are the cause of a lot of the ill feeling and argument on this site. You call me "gullible", but perhaps I simply have a different vision for the future than you, different priorities. Perhaps I believe that people are more important than the pursuit of money, and that to that end, any pursuit of money should be with the sole intent of providing for everyone first, and individual profit last. Or, maybe it's because I haven't had the benefit of your excellent financial education, or that my abilities, learning wise, lie in different areas to yours. Ever thought of that, no, it's easier to call someone names, and mock them, than attempt to argue your point politely. H_Trevorrow wrote:- "it is the centre of industries , financial markets, services and high tech businesses up the line that pay for the rest of the uk." No, the rest of the UK are made to sit at the end of the table, and beg for scraps. In this day and age of instant digital communication, and sophisticated logistical infrastructure, it is no longer necessary to centralise everything to maximise profits. It would be far better to spread those industries that create wealth around the whole of the UK, spreading the that wealth as far as possible, giving ALL the inhabitants of the UK a fair bite of the apple. It would even create employment, creating more wealth. H_Trevorrow wrote:- "Poldice wants a seperate Cornwall even if it is as poor as Malta or Portugal or Greece . I only hope he has'nt punted a lot of his hard earned on this folly." Malta, Portugal, and Greece, are "poor" for many different reasons, Greece, for example is "poor" because of rampant corruption that could no longer be sustained following the banking crisis. But, the thing is, there is more to life than money, the pursuit of which is the root of all evil.

• Slimslad  |  February 28 2013, 4:09PM

Tonight's ""Nations We Want To Be"! http://tinyurl.com/d7sas6 Solomon Islands

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 28 2013, 4:24PM

Paddy said ''spread those industries that create wealth around the whole of the UK'' which is less likely to happen with a devolved cornwall which will inevitably concentrate on local issues rather than attracting 'foreigners from engerland' and their investment. Without the wealth being created in the first place there is no social safety net . Whilst people pay their tax they can rightly expect some thanks for generating wealth {not from kernow nats though}.......it seems several nats here believe in beggering cornwall to what they deem to be an appropriate standard of living and refuse to engage with paying for the civil society they presently enjoy. Its loony leftism of the seventies alive and well. Read more: null Follow us: @thisiscornwall on Twitter | thisiscornwall on Facebook

• youngcornwall  |  February 28 2013, 4:28PM

Good old Solomon King of them all. http://tinyurl.com/cq9meog

• Gurnards_Head  |  February 28 2013, 4:35PM

Malta from a purely materialistic consumeristic perspective could be seen as poor, however that is a very fragile yardstick to measure a society that enjoys high standards of healthcare and education. These small often very dry rocks in the middle of the Mediterranean see high levels of political engagement that indicate a vibrant democracy in stark contrast to the barren mean political wasteland that the UK has become. Malta has been occupied by practically every power down the millenia most recently the British who have left their mark in a positive manner indeed Maltese society reflects what Britain could still have been had our politicians steered a different course in recent times, given Malta's small size it only requires a small Government which is controlled by its citizens to their huge advantage. So trolls I reiterate my assertion that Cornwall could do worse than look to this model of democracy that makes social justice and care for its citizens its priority, low wages would not be such a problem if corporate greed were reined in and property prices to represent genuine need rather than as presently the speculative greed so beloved of big_ger and trevorrow. Slim cooooeeee heeeeeelooo are you lost in the middle of the Pacific what a relief were it true.

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 28 2013, 4:47PM

Soloman islands gdp per capita less than $4000 ....but there is more to life than money (chancellor Paddy 2013}

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 28 2013, 7:07PM

G head social justice ????? maltese unemployment benefit ceases after 6 months.....try selling that in your seperatist socialist manifesto...the tax rates are far higher at lower tax bands. For the wealthy it is better news....again not exactly the socialist ideal you espouse. You cannot transpose the maltese situation to cornwall...........in short such a transpossition would mean lower wages to begin with, higher taxes in lower wage bands and a huge question mark over unemployment. Either you accept paying long term unemployed or expect high crime and higher policing levels...all detracting from your ability to provide other state sponsored services. Also important is the cost of fuel....malta do'nt require heating or indeed much travel exspense as they mostly live in one city on a small island....for your analogy to work we would have to stay indoors wrapped in blankets Your socialist utopia is exposed as a partial con. Frankly its irresponsible non sense.

• youngcornwall  |  February 28 2013, 7:24PM

by H_Trevorrow "but there is more to life than money (chancellor Paddy 2013}"" You try making him laugh HT it will take more money than you or I have got LOL.

• Slimslad  |  February 28 2013, 7:24PM

"Malta from a purely materialistic consumeristic, (sic), perspective could be seen as poor, however that is a very fragile yardstick to measure a society that enjoys high standards of healthcare and education." " Translation: Malta is poor.

• Big_Ger  |  February 28 2013, 8:25PM

"Big_Ger, shorly all that is proof that Westminster is failing Cornwall." Always someone else's fault with you lot isn't it Paddy. I think that that is one of the main recruiting factors for the nationalist clique; "Come and join the Cornish nationalists and you'll never have to take responsibility for anything." No job? Blame the tourist trade. No house? Blame the second home owners. On the dole? Blame Westminster. Not getting your party elected? Blame the "Imperial State" Misanthropic? Blame the English.

• Slimslad  |  March 01 2013, 7:36PM

Tonight's ""Nations We Want To Be"! http://tinyurl.com/yr2n2j Djibouti A larger population than Cornwall, but, what the Hell! Let's live a little!

• Gurnards_Head  |  March 02 2013, 12:12PM

Only a partial con then trevorrow? Irresponsible nonsense?... even you are entitled to n opinion ... which is noted. Bigger... your speciality seems to be sneeing from the sidelines.... you of all peopleought to ralise that every one must bear responsibility for their action... it is after all presumably a basic tenet of your philosophy.... I never shirk mine.... unlike English politicians corporations and banks. No job?... Cornish or not... get off yer butt and find one.... always bearing in mind that statistically a significant proportion of unemployed in ornwall will be inward migrants. No house?... maybe the employer is paying starvation wages or some buy to let landlord is milking the rents....or maybe some whether Cornish or not are just feckless... but once again statistically a significant proportion of those seeking homes will be inward migrants weighing down on the homeless list while awaiting a housing association allocation. On the dole?... see above... but maybe... just maybe the incompetence of Westminster is an ingredient given its recent track record of burdening the private sector with unbearable costs. Not getting your party elected?... then work to make it electable and drive democratic change... becuse the present status quo is not working at all. Misanthropic?... dont be... be optimistic... realistic...very very determined and focussed... keeping relentless slow steady pressure on... something will give eventually. Complaining solves very little unless backed by effective action... there are no soft or easy options... no quick fixes... no one owes any one a living... but the greedy and mean spirited must be sidelined. Slim? you are already eminently well qualified as a daftlander... get used to it... because on the basis of a random sample of troll activity on this site Daftland is actually reality already.... is it any wonder that the Cornish like the Scots and Welsh want out??????????????

• st-fetishist  |  March 02 2013, 12:43PM

Translation Blame everyone else and hope no one notices not a single positive constructive point has been made.

• Slimslad  |  March 02 2013, 4:00PM

"is it any wonder that the Cornish like the Scots and Welsh want out??????????????"" That is a silly question... Check your facts, the Welsh are still very firmly "In",. The Scots are not convinced. The Cornish? Only a few neo-Celtic wannabee Irish want out.

• poldice  |  March 02 2013, 4:07PM

So we have a new troll on the block, a fetishist even,I wonder what its particular nsavoury little pecadillo is. From my brief scan of the posts here the fetish troll has made a succint if unoriginal observation about this thread in so far that it suggests that not a single constructive point has been made on this thread, I cannot disagree on that. Mind you trolls I dont think the post could possibly have been intended to be constructive as my old mucker Gurnard said in the bar of the lodge the other night, wind them up, point them in the right direction and off they go, certainly seems they have really gone off on this one, feeding frenzy does not begin to describe it, poor deluded fools, exemplary citizens of Daftland to a man (or woman) lol.

• st-fetishist  |  March 02 2013, 4:12PM

The Cornish don't want out. Only a tiny minority even want a few more powers. As the unitary is turning out to be a dogs breakfast that minority may be thinking again .

• st-fetishist  |  March 02 2013, 5:00PM

fet·ish also fet·ich (ftsh, ftsh) n. 1. An object that is believed to have magical or spiritual powers, especially such an object associated with animistic or shamanistic religious practices. 2. An object of unreasonably excessive attention or reverence from Latin factcius, artificial; Poldice are we to understand your real endeavour is simply a source of entertainment rather than a seriuos solution for the county?

• poldice  |  March 02 2013, 7:28PM

YOU PEOPLE ARE THE SOURCE OF ENTERTAINMENT... My passion and concern for the long term welfare of Cornwall and its growing emergence as a great place to live work and do business is deadly earnest dont worry... however this work is conducted properly elsewhere becase this silly little forum merely fosters the bitterness prejudice and small mindedness that this thread has exposed.

• Carvath  |  March 02 2013, 7:43PM

Oh dear, old troll new name, from h_t to st- so to say, I prefer the new name.

• CallingtonFox  |  March 02 2013, 8:07PM

"My passion and concern for the long term welfare of Cornwall…" What a self-obsessed, self-appointed saviour, statement; you truly think you are something special don't you?

• poldice  |  March 03 2013, 12:32AM

Thats for you to ponder and me to know foxy_woxy, whatever I am carries little weight outside this this festering swamp so I respectfully suggest you concentrate your obvious anxiety on Englands future in a rapidly changing game plan.

• CallingtonFox  |  March 03 2013, 12:46AM

"foxy_woxy" lol Rest assured Mr poldice, as Cornwall is a county of England I am concentrating on confronting the false history, etc, which some are trying to impose upon it.

• poldice  |  March 03 2013, 10:43AM

Time will tell who is right and who is wrong and only time and circumstance will decree that. Were I a betting man I would be highly reluctant to place a wager on your philosophy or version of events carring the day. In the meantime we must remain at variance or continue repeating ourselves which I find incredibly tedious. Remember that ignorance is invariably a personal choice, only you hold the key to your closed mind but I doubt you have the courage to turn that key to open it up. Kernow Bys Vyken.

• ThomasFlamank  |  March 03 2013, 12:17PM

See you at Perran today Mr Fox? A Nation we are next to yours just like Wales.

• CallingtonFox  |  March 03 2013, 2:40PM

"Remember that ignorance is invariably a personal choice, only you hold the key to your closed mind but I doubt you have the courage to turn that key to open it up." I hope that you will take heed of your sage advice and indeed turn that key.

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!