Login Register
 °

Discussion

“The PCC elections were a shambles whatever one's political views and however one voted - or not as the case might be! I have written to my MP and the Electoral Commission with the words below and I trust others may feel similarly and also write.

"I was one of the very few who voted in yesterday's PCC elections as I believe it is important to vote at every opportunity.

Never, ever have I seen such voter apathy or complete and utter confusion.

Apart from my poll card, I never received one single piece of information through my letter box from either an agency of government or any candidate. I was not alone in this as no member of my family at other addresses did nor my neighbours nor most of my friends.

At one stage yesterday, the official internet website containing information about the election and the ten candidates crashed!

I witnessed people entering the polling station with no idea of who to vote for. The voters I saw were all aged in their 50's and older. Younger electors appear to have simply given up.

One polling station in this your constituency had under 100 of a potential 1,800 voters turn up to vote. Voters even left without voting because they had no idea who to vote for and no information to act on. I know of many voters who deliberately spoiled their ballot papers with phrases such as 'keep politicians out of policing.'

This whole affair has been a complete and utter shambles and the winning candidate has no democratic mandate to take up the office at all.

I sadly feel that democracy is fast dying and Westminster must be held to account for this. I have never known our elected representatives held in such low regard. I find this alarming and we now face a few generations of people who are completely disenchanted with our system of government and that will cause very obvious problems.

Please accept my concerns and pass them on. This is utterly appalling and I believe you must agree."”

By MapSerpren Posted: November 17, 2012

8 comments

8 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • Cadoc  |  November 17 2012, 3:37PM

Can't disagree with any of that.

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 17 2012, 9:39PM

It's extremely bad news that a Conservative got in as the Conservatives do not truly reflect Cornwall. This Mr Hogg holds no public mandate at all. A small percentage of the number who did bother to vote actually voted for him. This is the Tories for you. To politicise the police was their idea. Next the privatisation will continue and companies like G4S will be rubbing their grubby little hands together. As for the Tory's 'friends' the treacherous Fib Dems, their heads should hang in shame. The Tory Party is getting increasingly out of touch. Never mind, elections are approaching and they and their ConDemn partners can be consigned to the rubbish bin. Kernow bys vyken!

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 17 2012, 10:10PM

5% voted for the Tory! Policing by contempt! http://tinyurl.com/bz4fvyt Kernow bys vyken!

• Gurnards_Head  |  November 18 2012, 10:58AM

WELL THATS THE MAJORITY DELIVERED BY THE MINORITY WHO DID VOTE...THE REAL PROBLEM IS... none of them are any good and getting worse by the day... our local MP's are largely a waste of space... terrified to raise their heads above the parapet of political correctness... not saying or doing a thing about undesireable mass housing development... poverty or anything that would make the ordinary persons life a little better...something to look forward to... some light at the end of this long dark tunnel. Dont even mention MK they have had every chance to come up with sound policies presented by credible candidates but the silence remains deafening... it is as if MK is transfixed in the headlights of an imaginary car...while not exactly doomed the future is almost as barren and bleak for Cornish politics as it is nationwide because there is no leadership or inspiration. The biggest danger being that extremism will take root in the vacuum that is developing more particularly in the major conurbations where festering racial tensions caused by uncontrolled immigration and unemployment present an added very scary dimension to this unholy mess. FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE 1967 I CHOSE NOT TO VOTE AS A DELIBERATE PROTEST AT THE WAY THIS MISBEGOTTEN SHAMBLES WAS IMPOSED ON US... I HAVE A FEELING THAT MR CAMERON HAS RECEIVED THE CLEAREST MESSAGE YET THAT HE IS NOT UP TO THE JOB.

• Cadoc  |  November 18 2012, 12:07PM

I see old Blobby is crowing everywhere about the win by his glorious Tories. Boss Hogg got in with a 5% vote and suddenly his England is bathed in a blue hue. I have a funny feeling he'll be weeping in his English warm beer when the General Election comes, or perhaps even before when Boss Hogg falls out with his employee, the Chief Constable because the police go on strike at the prospect of being replaced by G4S. MK? Silence is golden! They couldn't even be bothered to enter a candidate!

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 18 2012, 12:27PM

The police view of the PC elections - great reading: http://tinyurl.com/yhrbww Kernow bys vyken!

• H_Trevorrow  |  November 18 2012, 2:13PM

Well said Gurnarns head

• Gurnards_Head  |  November 18 2012, 10:12PM

Well thankee most kindly Maister Trevorrow Zurr!!! but thait still dudn mak'ee my pal mind!!!

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!