“Nadelik Lowen ha Blydhen Nowydh Da!

(Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!)”

By MapSerpren Posted: December 23, 2012

13 comments

13 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • CallingtonFox  |  December 23 2012, 2:00PM

And to you and yours and everyone else on here :)

• AnGof2012  |  December 23 2012, 2:22PM

Nadelik Lowen ha Blydhen Nowydh Da dhys ynweth!

• Carvath  |  December 23 2012, 2:39PM

Nadelik Lowen ha Blydhen Nowydh Da! Gorhemynadow a'n gwella, Carvath.

• youngcornwall  |  December 23 2012, 4:47PM

Christmas greetings 'One and All' not forgetting the true meaning of Christmas. No stained glass windows in Bethlehem in that stable where Jesus was born Where peace on earth was created but crowned with a crown made of thorn. youngcornwall

• Big_Ger  |  December 23 2012, 8:01PM

Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year to all I have corresponded with via this website over the passed year.

• barrtribe  |  December 24 2012, 12:18AM

and to you

• Carodoc  |  December 24 2012, 1:26AM

Nadelik Lowen ha Blydhen Nowydh Da! Gorhemynadow a'n Seson!

• PaddyTrembath  |  December 25 2012, 12:35AM

Nadelik Lowen

• Carodoc  |  December 25 2012, 10:56PM

Slimslad posting: If you are referring to the greetings here in Cornish as a foreign language, then you are incorrect. Cornish is part of the Brythonic or British languages of the 'P' Celtic grouping along with Welsh and Breton which are almost idential in their orthography. Cornish is legally recognised and funded by the Westminster and European Governments who are obliged so to do. It is as much our heritage as bricks and mortar. It is far older than the English language. A recent survey has shown increasing numbers now speak Cornish particularly younger people as it is slowly introduced into schools in Cornwall. Indeed, over 500 school pupils performed a play in the Cornish language at Heartlands in the Chi an Pobel recently. (The Peoples' House) The Cornish Language Partnership based within Cornwall Council exists to see that the language is properly introduced and forms part of the education syllabus and that the law is applied in respect of its status. It is not 'sneaking' (sic) in a foreign language' as it is an indigeneous language. To possess knowledge of it opens up a greater understanding of Cornwall's history and heritage and it is well known that the didatic implications of language studies reflect in other fields of academic ability. Trusting this assists. Gorhemynadow a'n Seson!

• youngcornwall  |  December 26 2012, 9:15AM

How I see it, the Cornish language has been around for a long time howbeit with different interpretations (so I am told) but of late with funding and more recognition for the Cornish language and the internet of course, those with the most influence are dictating which is the correct language, I think the spelling of some words was a big bone of contention at one time, saying this, the Old Cornwall Society must to be given all credit for sticking to it and bringing the Cornish language through to what it is today.

• Carodoc  |  December 26 2012, 12:56PM

Ref. youngcornwall - yes indeed and the spelling differences were and are also existent in the Welsh language as well. Indeed, there are huge spelling variations in the English language too when one compares the more widely spoken and written American English to the lesser used British English. If one were to then include perhaps English as spoken by South Africans and Australians, the differences are even more extreme. But spelling does not prevent differing forms being understood nor ever did. We now have the approved Single Written Form which is that being taught in schools. I do agree with you to a point regarding the Old Cornwall Societies across Cornwall but even greater credit must go to the Gorsedh who played such a big part in establishing the examinations in the early days. They and the varying language organisations have done a fine job. Now, all language issues operate under the Language Partnership run by Cornwall Council. Yes, the Cornish language has been with us since around at least 800AD and substantially predates English. Nothing which has occurred in its history to date is any different than Welsh. There are now 3,500 speakers and the number is rising. Indeed, we have youngsters who now speak it as their first tongue. This is a good thing as Cornwall rebuilds itself and distinguishes itself from ****geneity. It has also seen Cornish used in film, music, literature and the arts thus creating many opportunities.

• youngcornwall  |  December 26 2012, 4:36PM

by Carodoc "I do agree with you to a point regarding the Old Cornwall Societies across Cornwall but even greater credit must go to the Gorsedh who played such a big part in establishing the examinations in the early days." I will go so far as to say in my opinion without the Old Cornwall Societies the Cornish language would have well and truly been lost, yes there has been many that have contributed their bit over the years and made it to being Cornish Gorseth Bards etc, but the main source of supply has come from the Cornish enthusiasts. Excuse me if I seem to just be in favour of the Cornish input, but I have seen it happen so many times where those who have done the spade work over many years get left behind when the credits are being handed out, not that they would want any credit I suppose, I do not know by what authority you speak from Carodoc but I thank you for your input.

• Carodoc  |  December 26 2012, 10:09PM

Ref. youngcornwall - It is my honour and privilege to be both a long serving member of my local OCS and a Bard of Gorsedh Kernow as well as being a member of some other Cornish and Celtic organisations. Hope your festive season goes well. Gorhemynadow a'n Seson

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!