Login Register
 °

Discussion

“Minimum wage up to £6.50 an hour...

Us the consumer can we afford this? We are the ones who pay for it.

http://tinyurl.com/o2fxsrs

By rickoon Posted: March 12, 2014

32 comments

32 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • PaddyTrembath  |  March 12 2014, 2:14PM

The vast majority of those on minimum wage, also have to claim Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Working Tax Credit, and Child Credit Us the tax payer can we afford this? We are the ones who pay for it. Any company that employs workers who have to rely on these handouts in order to survive, pay their bills, eat etc, are being subsidised by the tax payer, US, ALL of us! Clearly something is wrong, but what would you prefer, having to pay the true cost of the goods you buy, or having to pay more in tax so that you can get your goods cheaper?

• rickoon  |  March 12 2014, 4:55PM

In a roundabout way what you seem to be saying Paddy is, can the consumer afford Not to pay. I know this, any employer worth their salt will pick the best of the best for the job. As a taxpayer and a consumer I would say yes we can afford it.

• Slimslad  |  March 12 2014, 7:05PM

"The vast majority of those on minimum wage, also have to claim Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Working Tax Credit, and Child Credit" "Vast majority"? More than 95%, Paddy?

• westwelsh  |  March 12 2014, 8:07PM

Vote Mebyon Kernow for a living wage in our nation. £7.65 for all Cornish workers minimum!!

• Slimslad  |  March 12 2014, 8:45PM

Vote Mebyon Kernow for a living wage in our nation. A promise they will never be asked to keep.

• josdave  |  March 13 2014, 7:46AM

Well said paddy. Before that minimum wage was started there was a lot of whinging from the Tories saying jobs would be lost etc. Not a single job was lost it was all hot air as is this article. Why should we subsidise employers to pay low wages which is what we are doing by paying benefits to all those workers struggling to cope.

• rickoon  |  March 13 2014, 9:07AM

"Why should we subsidise employers to pay low wages which is what we are doing by paying benefits to all those workers struggling to cope." How much would the hourly rate be without subsidising employers? £30 £40 or more an hour perhaps. Think about it, this is the system we have, given with one hand and taken with the other.

• rickoon  |  March 13 2014, 9:26AM

"£7.65 for all Cornish workers minimum!!" When they are working, when they are not, what then??? 50% of the time for some.

• rickoon  |  March 14 2014, 3:22PM

"How are wages in the Midlands and Newcastle Young Cornwall and Slimeslad?" I would say enough to have a surplus to spend on none essentials, like such things as holidays in places like Cornwall who really need their money.

• AnBalores  |  March 15 2014, 8:00PM

Do we need your money Young Cornwall? How much of Cornwall's GDP is generated by the so called tourist trade?

• rickoon  |  March 16 2014, 2:13PM

Yes but in the overall of things tourism is an introduction, they come, they like they stay, or come back to live. Just see how Cornwall has grown over the last 50 years or so and still growing, and there is no stopping it, supermarket popping up here there and everywhere, all this from tourism, if it was left to the Cornish on their own things wouldn't be half as rosy as they are today.

• PaddyTrembath  |  March 16 2014, 5:05PM

It's good to see that according to rickoon, low wages, part time work, high housing costs, etc, is to be considered "rosy".

• Slimslad  |  March 16 2014, 6:10PM

Depleted natural resources? But.... Having natural beauty? Distant from government? But having a unique culture? All you need is folk who treat their neigbours with contempt. Tourists as "ants".

• rickoon  |  March 16 2014, 7:07PM

"There's none so blind as them that refuse to see!" Open your eyes Paddy boy. The world is everybody's oyster, or stay put and be swallowed up by those who have a little get up and go.

• rickoon  |  March 17 2014, 8:50AM

"We don't need telling what to do" No but when it has been done by someone else, you knew all along lol, that is our Cornish way of things. "As for the supermarkets, we've got enough and people too." You have seen nothing yet, Cornwall is in its infancy regarding tourism and what comes with it.

• AnBalores  |  March 17 2014, 11:23AM

Rubbish Young Cornwall - as usual!

• PaddyTrembath  |  March 17 2014, 11:36AM

rickoon wrote:- "Open your eyes Paddy boy. The world is everybody's oyster, or stay put and be swallowed up by those who have a little get up and go." My eyes are wide open old boy. I chose to stay and fight for my Nation, to do my little bit to make things better. You chose, by your own admission, to run away, "I'm all right Jack!" What makes you think you now have the right to tell those of us who stayed, and those of us who have moved here, what we should put up with, that we should not bother fighting the against the despicable way that we the people of Cornwall, not just the Cornish, but all the people of Cornwall are being treated? You started this thread about the increase in the minimum wage throughout the UK. You have made it clear in your postings above that not only do you disagree with it, but that you also approve of the current system which keeps wages artificially low. You have stated "this is the system we have, given with one hand and taken with the other" as if that is it, like it or lump it. The simple fact is, that the whole system in the UK, and in many other parts of the world, is rotten to the core. It remains rotten, because people like you are too scared of loosing the little bit that you have if you complain too much, if you make waves. Why? £6·50 an hour is a joke. the suggested £7·65 an hour "living wage" is a joke, even at £7·65 an hour, there will still be many families having to rely on state handouts in order to just survive in the society/economy we now have. The whole system needs needs a radical rethink, from top to bottom. But you sit there, with your head in the sand, you're all right, if others don't like what they've got, they can move as well, they can run away from it, hide from it, as well.

• rickoon  |  March 17 2014, 7:10PM

"Tourism boost as new smartphone app for Cornwall launches" http://tinyurl.com/nlzvcmt Good isn't it? This should help keep people on track, where to go and what to see, a little bit of initiative that is all it takes.

• AnBalores  |  March 18 2014, 5:59PM

Waste of time posting here as forum gets more and more cluttered with adverts here and flashing up. Will leave you to get on with it. Perhaps a forum somewhere between Newcastle and the Midlands might be more suitable LOL

• rickoon  |  March 18 2014, 6:48PM

@AnBalores If posters the likes of you were going to post and start threads that were of interest, and be prepared to take a little of what you try to dish out, perhaps others would join in and have a say, but no, what do we have a moderator of a defunct forum trying to be colonel in chief and a green Green looking for a purpose in life LOL. You couldn't make it up.

• PaddyTrembath  |  March 19 2014, 4:35PM

rickoon, it would seem that someone has a chip on their shoulder! It would also seem, that despite being offered the opportunity to discuss the OP, you choose to revert to type and indulge in your favorite pass-time of "Nat bashing" So, to bring it back on topic, would you say it was the christian thing to pay a person a living wage, or make them struggle on subsistence level wages? Do you think that Jesus would have supported a living wage? Do you not think that Jesus would also have been a Trade Union supporter, even a member? Did he not say something like "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God"?

• rickoon  |  March 19 2014, 8:56PM

"choose to revert to type and indulge in your favorite pass-time of "Nat bashing" " Don't try to flatter yourself, only recognition you are likely to get, and you know it lol @AnBalores What are you on about now, silly twerp.

• PaddyTrembath  |  March 19 2014, 9:53PM

Avoiding the questions again rickoon?.........................So, to bring it back on topic, would you say it was the christian thing to pay a person a living wage, or make them struggle on subsistence level wages?............................. Do you think that Jesus would have supported a living wage?............................... Do you not think that Jesus would also have been a Trade Union supporter, even a member?................................ Did he not say something like "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God"?

• rickoon  |  March 20 2014, 9:01AM

"For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward." 1 Timothy 5:18…………………………………………. And my favourite piece of Scripture which says everything..................................... …."And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages." ……………………………………………………………………… I hope this helps Paddy, I could put up many more along the lines…….. "If any will not work, neither let him eat." 2 Thessalonians 3:10

• rickoon  |  March 20 2014, 9:09AM

"And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages." Luke 3 : 14

• PaddyTrembath  |  March 20 2014, 11:43PM

The beauty of the Bible, contradictory quotes galore!..........But, you still have not answered the question:-..........So, to bring it back on topic, would you say it was the christian thing to pay a person a living wage, or make them struggle on subsistence level wages?............................. Do you think that Jesus would have supported a living wage?............................... Do you not think that Jesus would also have been a Trade Union supporter, even a member?................................ Did he not say something like "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God"?

• rickoon  |  March 21 2014, 8:40AM

You fill in the............as you like Paddy.

• PaddyTrembath  |  March 21 2014, 9:52AM

The ......... are to replace the lack of paragraphing on this new site, to make it easier to read...............Now, stop avoiding the question, and provide us with an answer!

• rickoon  |  March 21 2014, 1:27PM

"The beauty of the Bible, contradictory quotes galore!.........." Then you go on to ask. "............................. Do you think that Jesus would have supported a living wage?............................... Do you not think that Jesus would also have been a Trade Union supporter, even a member?................................ Did he not say something like "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God"" ..................You play children's games all you like Paddy, but not with me.

• PaddyTrembath  |  March 21 2014, 4:38PM

I'm not playing "children s games" rickoon.........I'm asking a valid question.........In short, is it christian to expect people to work for less reward, (wages), than they need in order to provide for themselves and their families?

• rickoon  |  March 21 2014, 4:58PM

In short, is it christian to expect people to work for less reward, (wages), than they need in order to provide for themselves and their families?...................................... From a Christian perspective no, the quotes from the Bible above clearly show that.

• rickoon  |  March 21 2014, 5:53PM

The Rich Man and Lazarus "There was a rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. And at his gate was laid a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man's table. Moreover, even the dogs came and licked his sores. The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried, and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. And he called out, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame.' But Abraham said, 'Child, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner bad things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.' And he said, 'Then I beg you, father, to send him to my father's house— for I have five brothers—so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment.' But Abraham said, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.' And he said, 'No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.' He said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.'" Luke 16:19-31

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!