Login Register

Discussion

“Well done MK for standing for the first time since the 1970's in a Tory area and a new young candidate too!

Amazing that people still vote for a party which has seen 250,000 depend on food banks but doubtless that fact will please the right wing trolls on this site:

The latest by-election for a seat on Cornwall Council has returned a Conservative.

The winner was former Penwith District Councillor Anthony Pascoe, who out-polled two prominent local independents who came second and third.

MK put forward John Gillingham, who polled 6.2% of the vote. This was John’s first-ever election campaign and he was also MK’s first council candidate in this area since the 1970s.

John worked extremely hard and I would like to congratulate him and his team for their efforts. I understand they were very well-received on the doorstep, though sadly this did not translate into more votes.

The full result was as follows:

Anthony Pascoe (Conservative) – 332 (35.3%; down 2.8%)

Sheila Furneaux (Independent) – 167 (17.7%; down 16.4%)

Michael Roberts (Independent) – 163 (17.3%; up 17.3%)

Yvonne Bates (Liberal Democrats) – 121 (12.9%; down 9.3%)

Malcolm Hurst (Labour) – 76 (8.1%; up 2.5%)

John Gillingham (Mebyon Kernow) – 58 (6.2%; up 6.2%)

Derek Elliott (Independent) – 24 (2.6%; up 2.6%)

Kernow bys vyken!”

By Truro_Kernow Posted: December 09, 2012

7 comments

7 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • JJLee  |  December 10 2012, 7:40AM

I have seen higher numbers in school governor's elections. All this does is confirmed even in these times of anger towards all the major parties MK cannot even pick-up protest votes.

• Big_Ger  |  December 10 2012, 7:45AM

A couple of points; All of Cornwall is a conservative area. For every vote the MK candidate got, the Conservative got four. For every vote MK got 11 went to others. MK came fifth out of six, last but one, not really something to boast about.

• youngcornwall  |  December 10 2012, 9:47AM

by JJLee "even in these times of anger towards all the major parties MK cannot even pick-up protest votes." When we read postings on here from some supporters and a prospective new member to MK, on the whole MK did as well as can be expected.

• polgooth  |  December 10 2012, 12:47PM

Not sure that all Cornwall could be really be judged as a conservative area. Traditionally the LIbs and now LIb/Dems have probably held the political sway although there has always been a strong conservative presence which has undoubdtedly grown over the past years with the influx of older retired people from England settling in Cornwall. Whilst MK are clearly building from a low base I think the figures, even in a very small sample such as the local bi-election cited, shows a growing public impatience and disaffection with the traditional national UK parties and a move towards more locally oreintated politics. It is yet to be tested going forward as to whether MK can seize upon this but if they were to be able to secure adequate and predictable funding I think they could potentially make some interesting policy statements and perhaps make some electoral in roads. As I think has been discussed in parallel threads on this site, the curent MK support should not be confused with that of devolved power for Cornwall. Whilst not numerous, the limited opinion polls undertaken show that when Cornwall is asked on its views for greater Cornish devolved powers the support is cross party and arnd fifty percent. So let's have that referendum on a Cornish Parliament soon and then we can find out once and for all what the people of Cornwall want. Brgds.

• JJLee  |  December 10 2012, 2:13PM

I am sure MK are impressed by your vulgar commentary TK you need to learn from Ronan Keating - You say it best when you say nothing at all.

• H_Trevorrow  |  December 10 2012, 5:22PM

the fact that the independent who narrowlly missed coming second was also a first time candidate and had 160 odd votes tells you how hated mk must be. 58 votes probably equates to just freinds and maybe family.

• Big_Ger  |  December 10 2012, 8:31PM

"Yes marvellous news. MK is now entering Tory areas of this Country and the Tories know what awaits them at the next General Election." This had me rolling on the floor!! Yes, TK going by your obvious enthusiasm for MK coming last but one in a six horse race, us Tories know what to expect next election! Winning outright, with "The Sons Of Cornwall" coming in nowhere

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!