Login Register
 °

Discussion

“MEBYON KERNOW A CORNISH ENIGMA... CAN IT DELIVER?... WILL IT DELIVER?

I have been accused by a correspondent (ebxdlb) on another thread of being involved with MK.

I state publicly not for the first time that whilst I subscribe to the concept of an autonomous Country of Kernow I am neither politically or denominationally aligned.

Given the increasingly parlous toxic state of UK domestic politics and the abject failure of the present three main party system to effectively and ethically govern the UK to the greater good of its entire population a time for dramatic change is rapidly approaching.

The concept of Mebyon Kernow is ripe for expansion however it just seems to sit there in the background, bland and uninteresting, offering little to fire the imaginations of any one other than a small group of sandal wearing pseudo intellectuals.

Traditionally Labour has appealed to the council estate, the Tories the toffs in their fine houses and the Liberals post Penhaligon, well I am not quite sure but probably new age sandal wearing unwaged graduates of sociology.

Cornwall needs an organization that eschews these traditional barriers to progress, they have been tested and found seriously wanting, there is a window of opportunity opening for a Cornish alliance of people of goodwill who ask what they can do for Cornwall rather than what Cornwall can do for them.

This window of opportunity could be the breakthrough MK so badly need were they to sieze the opportunity to fire the popular imagination and step forward to look after the very best interests of all the people of Cornwall wherever they dwell in the spirit of one and all.

What everyone is crying out for is a truly democratic system that delivers quiet sustainable prosperity for all without the sleaze or outright dishonesty that currently damns the current political spectrum.

IT WILL BE AN UPHILL TASK THE QUESTION IS ARE MEBYON KERNOW UP TO THE CHALLENGE?”

By Gurnards_Head Posted: July 30, 2012

170 comments

170 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • poldice  |  July 30 2012, 9:46AM

Speaking for myself I cannot even remember who the MK or Labour candidates were in 2010 so lacking in charisma were they. I ended up holding my nose and voting voting for George Eustice as the least bad choice, I would be happy to vote MK were they to field a viable candidate however next time around I am afraid I will be holding my nose even harder cos its gotta be UKIPeven if they select an Orangutan.

• Carvath  |  July 30 2012, 10:02AM

MK should forget General Elections and concentrate for the time being on unitary, parish and town council elections where they do reasonably at present. A stronger showing at the unitary (they have 5 seats at present) would pave the way for greater things like holding the balance of power at Lys Kernow. General Elections will be too much of a rat race for the near future as Cons and LDs fight it out - the former for what they see as easy gainable seats and the latter for survival.

• SECRETCITEZEN  |  July 30 2012, 10:36AM

anything is worth a shot theses days

• Gurnards_Head  |  July 30 2012, 11:36AM

Quite agree Carvath, my sole intention is to poke the metaphorical stick into the entrance of the beehive to see if anyone is actually at home. An increased power base at Lys Kernow is an entirely logical necessary step but it is up to MK to get their ducks in a row by making themselves electable by positively appealing to a broad church of voters. This unfortunately is not the present situation as MK only appeal to small localised pockets of electors, that is why I urge them to reach out to everyone in a positive manner by showing how they would make a difference to ordinary people were they to place their confidence in MK. This will be incredibly hard from one perspective because everyone is bone weary of the mainstream polital parties for their failure on most fronts so any chance of potentially better ways of doing things could not come at a better time. Conventional party political shenanigans have no place at Lys Kernow as recent experience shows. The ball is very firmly in MK's court, I want to be convinced, lets be hearing from them.

• Gurnards_Head  |  July 30 2012, 12:06PM

Be very careful SECRETCITIZEN Big Brother is watching and its very unPC to talk about shooting in relation to those who presume to rule us. Hope you have not booked yourself a visit from Special Branch.

• H_Trevorrow  |  July 31 2012, 12:09AM

''Can it deliver , will it deliver?'' Nope. Like any fringe movement any grains of wisdom will be aped by main stream politics and further dissapate any support. The really good thing about MK is they muddy the waters for the so called left parties and steal support from thier own ''allies''. Real politics in the real world have little autonomy from global factors, markets trends etc...hence labour were the cons team B. Our local politics is desperately in need of expose.....too many libs, mk and naughty independents are completely misleading thier electorate and playing amatuer politics at our, rate payers and residents, exspense...imho.

• Slimslad  |  July 31 2012, 8:40AM

MK should forget General Elections and concentrate for the time being on unitary, parish and town council elections where they do reasonably at present. A stronger showing at the unitary (they have 5 seats at present) would pave the way for greater things like holding the balance of power at Lys Kernow. Go into a coalition! Like the ConDems!

• Gurnards_Head  |  July 31 2012, 9:12AM

Looks like the Brothers Grimm have woken up again, negativity and bile are in full flow as usual.

• youngcornwall  |  July 31 2012, 9:18AM

"Go into a coalition! Like the ConDems" That would certainly put the cat amongst the nats pigeons, if there ever were any likelihood of this ever happening. No MK will just bob along the bottom being held back by the genocide cranks and the like, well that is as good an excuse as any, OK as local councillors, meeting local needs, what more can be asked?

• EndUKRule  |  July 31 2012, 11:01AM

I believe many years ago, there was an informal alliance between MK, the Green Party and the Liberals.

• Gurnards_Head  |  July 31 2012, 2:27PM

BIRDS OF A FEATHER & ALL THAT - I bet the sale of sandals in Kernow rocketed, pleeeese not another coalition.

• KernowGB  |  July 31 2012, 4:45PM

@youngcornwall (re Tuesday, July 31 2012, 9:18AM) Well now, you have always been good at making excuses (especially for others!) and persistent unsubstantiated assertions.

• youngcornwall  |  July 31 2012, 4:50PM

KernowGB I am glad you like it.

• Slimslad  |  July 31 2012, 6:52PM

Sandals and kilts? Heaven Forfend!

• Slimslad  |  July 31 2012, 7:15PM

Not just "genocide cranks" The New World Order and Bilderberg and Serco and GCHQ and English Imperialists and Republic conspiring to dismember the Duchy they profess to hate with a passion. LOL

• PaddyTrembath  |  July 31 2012, 7:59PM

Ignoring the WASPs. I have often heard those who you would think would have been natural MK supporters, criticise the party for one thing or another, in this case, it is seemingly lack of charisma. They tend to say "if only............., then I would support them" Well, here's a radical idea, JOIN. Join the party, and work with them to make it a party that you would support. It is no use siding with the WASPs, and putting the party down, if you agree with their basic aims, join in, and show the WASPs how wrong they are.

• youngcornwall  |  July 31 2012, 8:37PM

PaddyTrembath are you the same PaddyTrembath as this P_Trembath?

• Carvath  |  July 31 2012, 10:23PM

Surely a gentleman shouldn't ask such questions youngcornwall!

• poldice  |  July 31 2012, 10:31PM

WHATS THAT TO YOU THEN YC LOOKING FOR ANOTHER PEG TO HANG OUR HAT ON ARE WE?

• Gurnards_Head  |  July 31 2012, 10:39PM

Lets put it a bit simpler, scrub charisma and substitute electability, come out fighting and show us what you are made of MK, we want to see you achieving something for Cornwall and the Cornish, that means setting an objective, explaining what it is and then delivering it, after all politics is the art of the possible. A lot is achievable with the right people in the driving seat, the field is wide open given the abject performance of the big three presently so MK your chance is shining.

• Slimslad  |  August 01 2012, 7:44AM

Go on, PaddyTrembath, I will go for it. 3 times you mention "WASP's". White Anglo-Saxon Protestants? Or someone else for you people to hate?

• poldice  |  August 01 2012, 9:10AM

Come off it Slimslad, hate is a very powerful and emotive word to be used extremely sparingly, I would suggest dislike is much more appropriate or even contempt or disdain. I actually dislike what you stand for and frequently view your opinions as contemptible but I for one could never hate you because I do not know you and you are are not significant enough to raise the level of passion required to hate. Effectively I love Kernow with a passion but dislike your ilk intensely, however in the final analysis you are all an irrelevance, a bit like fleas on a dog, a good scratch every now and again tends to sort you out until next time.

• PaddyTrembath  |  August 01 2012, 9:16AM

Gurnards_Head:- If you believe in, and agree with, the basic aims of MK. If you wish to see these aims fulfilled. Then you need to support the only party that are fighting to achieve them. For, they are the only party fighting to achieve those aims, and, therefore, our best chance. If you feel that they are, in some way, unelectable, there are only 2 productive choices open to you. 1/ Join MK, work with them to make them electable, help them, help them change that image of unelectability that the WASPs have expended so much energy in attempting to create. 2/ Start your own party, show us all how to "do it right". youncornwall/Carn Gloose:- You know full well, that unlike some I could mention, I only ever post under my own name. I do not hide behind the anonymity of an obscure user-name. Slimslad:- It is the WASPs that hate, they hate anything that does not fit into their narrow view of the world. It is the WASPs that create hate where hate never existed. To quote from an old song:- "I bear no hate against living thing, But I love my country above the king". youngcornwall and Slimslad, do please try to keep on topic in future!

• Slimslad  |  August 01 2012, 9:24AM

I don't believe you "love Kernow", and I do believe that "your ilk" hold anyone that is not your type of Cornish in contempt and treat "incomers" with disdain. Like I said before. You don't love Cornwall. You just hate everyone else.

• poldice  |  August 01 2012, 9:40AM

You are entitled to your opinion, I hope and trust that events may prove you wrong slimslad because you are beyond redemption, a total irrelevance like the flea on the dog that will invariably come and go without real consequence to the organism it irritates.

• ebxdlb_  |  August 01 2012, 9:44AM

by Gurnards_HeadTuesday, July 31 2012, 10:39PM "Lets put it a bit simpler, scrub charisma and substitute electability, come out fighting and show us what you are made of MK, we want to see you achieving something for Cornwall and the Cornish, that means setting an objective, explaining what it is and then delivering it, after all politics is the art of the possible." So you are not an MK supporter? But you'd like to be if they spoke up, but spoke up for what? MK don't make much sense to the man in the street and dig deeper and they seem to be anti English by way of just declaring themselves Cornish, I would hope someone with more knowledge of MK's history could clear this last point up.

• youngcornwall  |  August 01 2012, 9:50AM

@poldice Not really, we know just recently someone was supposed to have used somebody's real name on here. P_T was banned from on here, to comeback with the same name or very similar seems very suspect don't you think? If everything is above board no problems.

• poldice  |  August 01 2012, 9:56AM

I KNOW NOT AND CARE EVEN LESS YC like I have said repeatedly everyone is entitled to express an opinion whether that opinion is relevant is for each individual to judge. LETS GET ON WITH AN ADULT DISCUSSION SHALL WE?

• Gurnards_Head  |  August 01 2012, 10:03AM

ebxdlb my political affiliations actual or potential are my own affair and have no relevance in the context of this debate which I initiated as I said to poke a stick in the beehive to see if anyone is at home, true to form the usual suspects are, unfortunately with nothing new to say apart from the usual catcalling. This tends to indicate that the debate is a failure which I feel no desire to contribute further to.

• ebxdlb_  |  August 01 2012, 10:24AM

Gurnards_Head, I do know though that people lie for all kinds of reasons, some of which may seem hard for others to fathom. Once again questioning MK on what they stand for and we're back to it being conjecture aren't we?

• Taxman100  |  August 01 2012, 10:48AM

Can MK succeed? Any political party can succeed providing it is a populace party which would ensure it was capable of attracting voters from across the social spectrum. MK is unlikely to be able to do this as it promotes Cornish culture, the Cornish Language, and has a tendency to attract those with extreme views on the subjects. That is not to say Cornish culture and language is wrong, it isn't, and should be welcomed. But whether anyone subscribes to either is a personal choice and not one that may be made by a political party. Plaid Cymru is an example of a political party which promotes both and has never quite made 'the breakthrough' into mainstream politics. On the other hand the Scottish Nationalist Party promotes Scottish culture (although not in excess), and did not make its final 'breakthrough' until it finally, and publicly, distanced itself from those with extreme views. Currently,the Party is also proposing to take another step forward to distance itself further from the extreme by removing the word, 'Nationalist' from its title. The SNP concentrates upon, and delivers, its wide ranging core policies which are attractive to the majority of their electorate. Perhaps, MK could learn from them? An odd point about politics: Between elections we class politicians in the same category as the robbing Bankers and deceitful lawyers. Yet, at election time we are willing to place our trust in them to deliver the policies we want; knowing full well they will not do so. The Americans have the answer to this conundrum - they visit a psychologist!

• PaddyTrembath  |  August 01 2012, 11:27AM

youngcornwall wrote:- "Wednesday, August 01 2012, 9:50AM "@poldice Not really, we know just recently someone was supposed to have used somebody's real name on here. P_T was banned from on here, to comeback with the same name or very similar seems very suspect don't you think? If everything is above board no problems."" If you have a problem with my posting on these boards again, then I suggest you take it up with the moderators. For your information, and to allow you to move on with your life, the following is an email I received from the moderators yesterday:- " Dear Mr Trembath Thank you for your email. Having reviewed your case, we are prepared to allow you to register as a user on This is Cornwall. We would ask you please to read our house rules and terms and conditions before you register on the site and post content to ensure you are familiar with our rules and terms, and accept and agree to abide by them. If you consider any content on the site doesn't comply with our rules, please report it to us, using the 'report' link next to the content, rather than responding to any abuse you may come across. Regards This Is comments team" I fully intend to abide by house rules, I trust that you do as well. So, in the spirit of house rules, do you not think that you should attempt to keep on topic. This is the last time I shall respond to such off topic digs. Back to MK. Gurnards_Head, what is it you wish to see MK do, what do you think will make them "more electable"?

• EndUKRule  |  August 01 2012, 12:20PM

Taxman100 - there is no Scottish Nationalist Party. It is the Scottish NATIONAL Party. The Scottish NATIONAL Party manifesto is committed to the promotion of the Gaelic Language as shown by the following: "Supporting Gaelic broadcasting - This includes consistent support for BBC Alba to gain access to Freeview, increased funding for MG ALBA and for other projects such as media equipment at the Fàs studios, capital for the Seaforth Road studios, funding of the Gaelic learners website and support for the Film G competition. " Alex Salmond also spent several thousand pounds distributing saltires to flag wavers during the recent Olympic events to counterbalance the preponderance of Union flags. Further, he called for Scottish sportsmen and women to be referred to as 'Scolympians'. He is also renting the Pall Mall Club in London at £25,000 a day for each and every day of the Olympics to court business and other leaders and to persuade them that an independent Scotland is the only way. He is backing this assertion with a referendum in late 2014 and I am convinced he is in with a real chance. I sincerely hope so. We all realise that Mebyon Kernow do not have these resources but they could indeed learn much from Mr Salmond who simply cannot be put down. He is arrogant and sure of himself whereas MK are often afraid of their own shadows. I am not a member of MK. I am a member of another political party. Many might be surprised to know the influence MK has on the policies of other parties.

• EndUKRule  |  August 01 2012, 12:26PM

Many are delighted that Councillor Dick Cole, leader of MK is utterly ensconced in the St. Dennis Incinerator issue. That absorbs all his time to MK's loss and the benefit of other parties. When will that man learn to become more Presidential and to delegate? He is widely respected by all but gets lost in detail. You would not see Mr Salmond acting in the same way.

• Taxman100  |  August 01 2012, 12:46PM

EndUKRule. My apologies. It is of course the Scottish National Party. Yes, it does support Gaelic, but it is done in a moderate manner - likewise Scottish culture; which serves to keep everyone, from all walks of Scottish life, on board. I agree the Scottish First Minister, Alex Salmon, can be perceived as being a little arrogant, but he fights his corner well - which is more than can be said for 'our Dave & Co.' in Westminster. (and I say that as a Tory). As for the result of the Scottish referendum - I will simply wait for the decision of the Scottish electorate in 2014.

• youngcornwall  |  August 01 2012, 1:10PM

As I mentioned earlier in this thread MK is OK at local council level, meeting locals needs. For MK to do any good in a general election they must first throw off their old fashioned approach, their way today may have been OK 50 or so years ago but Cornwall is nothing like that today, Cornwall is growing in population by the day without those who are being born in the county, people are moving in with their own ideas how they want Cornwall to be, for MK or anyone else to try and cling onto the past, they will just get left further behind, which is nothing new is it.

• Carvath  |  August 01 2012, 2:57PM

Many of MK's members are people who have moved to Cornwall and therefore the party is quite representative of the population. This includes councillors. Also, they are not "being left further behind", for example, increasing their Unitary councillors from 3 to 5 over the last couple of years. In context Labour only has one seat. I think I mentioned above that the General Election will be too difficult for them with the major players, Tories and LDs, competing fiercely - the former for what they see as easily gainable seats from the LDs and the latter simply trying to hang on for survival. Dog eat dog, so to say (or wish). There are many more Parish, Town and Unitary seats that could be achieved by MK, and this suits their resources better at present. MK's policies are laid out quite well in their web-site and this should be advertised more along with door-step calling: http://tinyurl.com/y6m3mw9 Some independent councillors have MK sympathies and more of these need to be persuaded to "come to the party" so to speak.

• Gurnards_Head  |  August 01 2012, 4:37PM

Thats the sort of thing that needs to be brought out Carvath - representative - inclusive serving everyone in Cornwall at local level by booting the cons and libs out of Lys Kernow that would be a very good starting point.

• Slimslad  |  August 01 2012, 5:10PM

"Booting the cons and libs out of Lys Kernow that would be a very good starting point." "Cons"- 47 "Libs"- 38 Independents-30 MK-5 "A good starting point"?

• poldice  |  August 01 2012, 5:26PM

WHO RATTLED YOUR CAGE THEN SFB? They have to start somewhere and the only way is up, the other lot are increasingly unpopular so there is a major opportunity to progress

• Slimslad  |  August 01 2012, 6:36PM

No need to get UPSET, "Poldice".

• EndUKRule  |  August 01 2012, 6:56PM

We all know Slimslad has used Cormorant but 'SFB'? I am intrigued. Is it something to do with his hotel reviews, his Ship Society membership, his ban from Cornwall24? Please let me know Poldice (if it won't get you a ban!)

• ebxdlb_  |  August 01 2012, 7:13PM

by CarvathWednesday, August 01 2012, 2:57PM "Many of MK's members are people who have moved to Cornwall and therefore the party is quite representative of the population." Is that true? We only know of one person and how many members are there in MK? MK come across as a one trick party, I.E MK are all about Cornwall and the Cornish, seems reasonable but what about the rest of the people in Cornwall do they want a Cornwall only mandate?

• Slimslad  |  August 01 2012, 7:14PM

"We all know Slimslad has used Cormorant but 'SFB'? I am intrigued. Is it something to do with his hotel reviews, his Ship Society membership, his ban from Cornwall24? Please let me know Poldice (if it won't get you a ban!)" LOL!

• Slimslad  |  August 01 2012, 7:15PM

Truro Craig is a little piece of CGHQ. LOL

• poldice  |  August 01 2012, 8:10PM

I dont care if it does get me a ban cos I wont have to put up with the likes of you and theres plenty of other ways to skin a cat ess aitch wun tea for brains lol.

• H_Trevorrow  |  August 01 2012, 8:22PM

Cornwall council and its councillors are still in metamorphis. Once the population of Cornwall wake up to who thier councillor is and how few people are bothering to vote at local elections I predict that the determined few Cornish elitist councillors {mk and independent}will find themselves enjoying more time with thier family. Presently very few councillors are without eggy faces as we can watch the circus of council meetings on line. A hang over of the move from district to unitary is the glaring inadequacy of many councillors. Take mk 's latest success for Wendron...only got 400 odd votes...laughable.

• Carvath  |  August 01 2012, 9:02PM

What is laughable H_Trevorrow = egbgy???, a complete troll (banned from C24 as 24-7, newtoyou, mobileupload,etc, etc, is how daft you are. For instance, did you mean metamophosis (biological) or metamorphic (geological). God help us!

• ebxdlb_  |  August 01 2012, 10:10PM

Carvath you made this statement, "Many of MK's members are people who have moved to Cornwall and therefore the party is quite representative of the population. This includes councillors." You haven't a clue how many then?

• poldice  |  August 01 2012, 10:35PM

HATS YOUR PROPOSAL THEN TREVORROW? More of the same tired yah boo party political wrangling at Lys Kernow, or bdo you mean dedicated indepent councillors not tied to the dogmatic London centric party line? OR DO YOU CONTEMPLATE STANDING AS YOU SEEM TO HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS?

• Carvath  |  August 01 2012, 10:40PM

No egbygdlp?=H_T not without doing a count, but it's quite significant. To me the actual number is not that important, as I can't for a minute think why it would be. I'm sure MK are just interested in what is best for Kernow, wherever their people come from. I hope you think the same!

• H_Trevorrow  |  August 01 2012, 10:59PM

My dear luvlies, first on the agenda should be a public outrage at how our councillors are '' debating''{not}..it's farsical....a series of talking heads not testing each others arguments but spouting thier individual agenda. Begrudgingly i admire Mr Cole as he struggles manfully to bring a measure of integrity. to council.......pity he is so lacking in worthwhile policies.

• Big_Ger  |  August 02 2012, 8:56AM

Say what you lie about Mebyon Kernow, but you cannot deny that unlike the fringe dwelling "Celtic League" and others, at least the members of MK have the bottle to stand up for election and for public office. It's easy to snipe from the sidelines, claim imaginary powers, and hark back to long lost "laws" of the past, but a far more courageous thing to stand up for the here and now of the running of our county. The shame is that MK get tarred by the same brush as the extremists.

• ebxdlb_  |  August 02 2012, 9:56AM

by Big_Ger, "The shame is that MK get tarred by the same brush as the extremists." Isn't the party seen as pro Cornish? And isn't that an image they desire? With statements like 'we don't listen to political masters in Westminster' and blogs from the illoganblogger titled "Anyone but England ...". This sets to alienate a large portion of people here in Cornwall and thus stigmatise the party and English people at the same time, add to this the "Celtic League" and the many sideline extremists who seem attached to the same views and you then can't blame the people for seeing the MK as a narrow mind exclusive to Cornish only party, blowing away any impartially the party would to wish to project. Dick Cole has in past attempted to distance himself and MK from "extremists" has that been enough?

• trelawneyone  |  August 02 2012, 10:37AM

from what i can see there are far too many cornish people knocking the cornish themselves. even as a schoolboy i always felt cornish and proud of it. i worked away upcountry and never found it a problem calling myself a cornishman, people accepted it yet there are a lot here in cornwall who seem to be in denial of their race. this comes to the age old saying together we stand divided we fall, where do we go from here?

• EndUKRule  |  August 02 2012, 11:47AM

The usual ill informed nonsense from Bigger. Mebyon Kernow is a small political party and the Celtic League is a campaigning organisation. There are plenty of both. There are also a number of MK members who serve on the Council who are also members of the Celtic League and indeed the other campaigning organisations such as Bewnans Kernow, the Celtic Congress and so on. I know of several Labour people who are members of these organisations as well. Do try to get it right Bigger or stay to what you allegedly know - the holiday trade and the Admiral bar.

• poldice  |  August 02 2012, 12:20PM

Trevorrow has actually said something positive, Dick Cole is undoubtedly a sincere man of great integrity but it is a tragedy that Cornwall seems unable to supply enough good people to work with him in a positive manner for the common good. Bigger is right when he says they at least have the courage to stand for election but they do seem to lack that unique selling point to give them critical mass in the form of increased support, Cornwalls motto One and All is currently a joke as so many of us pursue our own agenda's for want of anything better. The real extremists are almost an irrelevance but do tend to get noticed because their views are just that... extreme, that said London has failed Cornwall and that shows little sign of changing so we must attempt to get together in some coherent manner in order to play a part in shaping our own destiny.

• EndUKRule  |  August 02 2012, 12:33PM

The Illogan Blogger is a serving Councillor, a member of MK and is English. I have no problems with that having just read his blog.

• poldice  |  August 02 2012, 1:43PM

The Illogan blogger is doing an excellent job, its just that poor old MK could do with 50 more like him. The fact that he is an Englishman with a good attitude merely adds to his credentials and demonstrates MK's inclusiveness.

• H_Trevorrow  |  August 02 2012, 3:07PM

Illogan blogger is a PARISH COUNCILLOR.........not a county councillor..........a misunderstanding he skillfullly avoids correcting.

• EndUKRule  |  August 02 2012, 3:16PM

Yes, he is a Parish Councillor and not a CORNWALL Councillor. We all accept that English Trevorrow. So what is your point and where are you a Councillor English Trevorrow?

• youngcornwall  |  August 02 2012, 4:55PM

"The shame is that MK get tarred by the same brush as the extremists." I think everything that could have been said has been said regarding MK being "tarred by the same brush". What realistically can MK do about it without cutting off the hand that is doing the feeding?

• poldice  |  August 02 2012, 5:41PM

What does the Illogan bloggers current civic status have to do with it, he is the stamp of member that possibly makes MK very attractive to me in the future at some time. What hand that is doing what feeding, are you inferring that MK is in someones pocket? Still sowing seeds of doubt are we then you two? I reckon these particular seeds are falling on very stony ground.

• Slimslad  |  August 02 2012, 5:51PM

Every political party has its extremes. Labour managed to ditch Militant. The Conservatives got rid of the Young Conservatives. Perhaps MK could shed the various "loonies"?

• youngcornwall  |  August 02 2012, 6:04PM

"What hand that is doing what feeding, are you inferring that MK is in someones pocket?" Not "in someone's pocket", but relying on financial support from membership which is holding MK back.

• Slimslad  |  August 02 2012, 6:15PM

It just takes a few fairly moneyed reactionaries to spoil politics, even on a local level. The thinking being that: They themselves are arrogant enough to think that their money makes them "right" They have money they must know what they are doing. They have money the party desperately need, so keep them "sweet"

• youngcornwall  |  August 02 2012, 7:19PM

And that is without the loud mouthed extremists that only contribute the kiss of death to MK every time they open up their mouth, you know the ones I mean, those who openly say, they see no wrong in the Welsh regarding Swan Vesta.

• poldice  |  August 02 2012, 10:23PM

You pair of headbangers are like terrier dogs cocking their legs on every lampost to mark your territory, you seem to have a Smokey and the Bandit fixation with Boss Hog who could fix anything on his patch with a fistfull of dollars. Not sure which loonies you are referring to but getting rid you pair of half baked ess aitch wun tee stirring muppetts along with your other fellow stirrers might be a good starting point. You can think what you like, Cornish rights will be gained without resort to Swan Vestas with or without MK, if that was intended it would have happened long ago, a nice try suckers sorry to inform you that its old news, things have moved on. One very positive point Cornish politics are unlikely to ever be bankrolled by sleazy Corporate business looking for a favour in return like those London centric outfits that are performing so badly at present. You really are running out of road on this one arent you chaps must be very frustrating not being able to squeeze any more mileage out of the old extremist bandwagon.

• EndUKRule  |  August 02 2012, 10:36PM

I often struggle to understand what Mr Harvey is trying to say.

• Carvath  |  August 02 2012, 11:42PM

No problem, he does as well!

• Slimslad  |  August 03 2012, 8:51AM

"old extremist bandwagon."? Plenty "mileage" there, Poldice. Your own comments about "Swan Vestas" confirms that fact. http://tinyurl.com/cfmjb7r

• youngcornwall  |  August 03 2012, 9:29AM

This kind of talk has been going on for years Slim. When people make silly comments like,…"Maybe the Welsh had the right idea :lol:"… And then goes on to say to me YC. …"You always seem to be quick to jump to the defence of second "home" owners, do you have one, and are afraid that someone will have experimented with a box of Swan Vesta's on it before you next wish to spend a weeks holiday there"… And this same person encourages others to join and campaign for MK, I would say it puts MK in a bad light.

• ebxdlb_  |  August 03 2012, 9:37AM

by poldiceThursday, August 02 2012, 5:41PM "What does the Illogan bloggers current civic status have to do with it, he is the stamp of member that possibly makes MK very attractive to me in the future at some time." Some find nothing wrong with the Illogan blogger, No big deal really, but the comparison between football and how the English think just isn't true, even the average football fan would understand, why Scotland wouldn't want to support the English. As for many English people they understand about the British Empire and the "opression". The word is Anglophobia! Nice. However MK are seen as the Cornish only party, they buy into "Cornwall is next to England" and I am Cornish not English, is this right? Could this be a problem? It isn't that inviting for say someone who doesn't feel Cornish.

• EndUKRule  |  August 03 2012, 11:09AM

This thread is now getting incredibly boring and reflects the almost sick obsession with MK by a few trolls. I note with interest that a thread I commenced on another small party UKIP has been removed. Enjoy going round and round in circles. I am thoroughly bored with this forum and off to pastures new.

• PaddyTrembath  |  August 03 2012, 11:22AM

It never ceases to amaze me how those who ran away from the problems in Cornwall, feel they have the right to criticise those who stayed behind. Those who stayed behind and fought/fight for a better future for Cornwall. Those who did not abandon family, friends and neighbours in search of selfish "I'm all right Jack" personal goals, but stayed and did/do the christian thing, attempt to improve things for their fellow man. These runners, fortunately very few in number, for some perverse reason, think they have the right to expect the present residents of Cornwall, all of them, to have to put up with the same problems they ran away from, or else run away themselves. They feel they have the right to pontificate on things they sought to distance themselves from as quickly as their little legs could carry them. These runners do not care about Cornwall, or the people of Cornwall, they are merely jealous of what they fled from, and Petty in their abuse of those who wish to improve it. They are doing the Devils own work, and should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves, and keep out of things that they all to willingly left behind them. MK is a case in point, MK is a Cornish party, based in Cornwall, for Cornwall. Those who ran away from Cornwall, (not those who had no other choice, those who ran for purely selfish reasons, they know who they are) those who choose to distance themselves from Cornwall, surely have no right to comment on things that are Cornish, on things that no longer effect them, nor belong to them. :-) :-) :-)

• poldice  |  August 03 2012, 11:28AM

Thats for you and every other individual to consider for themselves and make up their minds about and act accordingly ebxdlb. I wasnt aware of mentioning football perhaps you have confused me with another poster. Always bear in mind that MK is a Cornwall only party having no territorial ambitions beyond the the east bank of the Tamar that I am currently aware of The fact the the Illogan Blogger is not of Cornish extraction but exhibits a passion for matters Cornish that puts so many natioves to shame is indeed positive, I am clearly on record for saying that Cornwall is inclusive as long as those wishing to be included bring something to the table that contributes to the place in a positive manner. Always remember that Cornwall is next to England, individual English people are rarely the problem but rather the arrogance and superiority of a narrow but potent section of English who are just as toxic as any other extremist fanatics wherever they originate, bigotry, intolerance and fanaticism are the common enemy not place of birth. In conclusion I put it to you that if someone from elsewhere resident in Cornwall but unable to feel Cornish to some small degree is compromising their own feeling of well being by remaining in that particular situation, particularly if the Cornish desire to promote their language and culture or right to some degree of autonomy leaves them feeling unjustifiably threatened.

• ebxdlb_  |  August 03 2012, 11:50AM

The "Illogan blogger" brings up the point about football/England. "Always remember that Cornwall is next to England," So what happens if you don't feel so Cornish and you see Cornwall as a County of England and part of the UK? Is MK a party for those people who feel this way? Would Mebyon kernow be representing the interest of those voters?

• ebxdlb_  |  August 03 2012, 11:53AM

PS could that be a problem for Mebyon Kernow in attracting support?

• poldice  |  August 03 2012, 12:17PM

If you dont feel the least bit Cornish or exhibit antipathy toward the Cornish you are forced to live among you are not going to be a fan of MK come what may, indeed given that mindset one can but wonder what such people are doing in Cornwall in the first place. This issue is bound to arise given that incomers now outnumber those claiming Cornish origin by a considerable and rapidly accelerating margin effectively suggesting that those of Cornish origin being clearly in the minority are the ones who are in reality the threatened ones No matter how successful MK may or may not become in the future they will never appeal to all Cornish people let alone all those from elsewhere so why expend any energy pondering what is in the final analysis an irrelevance, always allowing for the fact that some like the Illogan Blogger will actually choose to support MK.

• youngcornwall  |  August 03 2012, 12:43PM

by EndUKRule "Enjoy going round and round in circles. I am thoroughly bored with this forum and off to pastures new." Sorry to here that EndUKRule, you have started some very good threads in the past and will be truly missed. I am sure MK and others must have learnt something with all this going "round and round in circles", it may seem like that, but if MK can shake off those that jump on any bandwagon going, with idle talk, which can lose votes and respect for MK, it has all been worth while. My previous posting highlights this clearly there in black and white for all to see.

• ebxdlb_  |  August 03 2012, 6:02PM

"Always bear in mind that MK is a Cornwall only party having no territorial ambitions beyond the the east bank of the Tamar that I am currently aware of" So anyone who is not thinking along those lines shouldn't vote MK? And after reading the endless 'what's wrong with the UK and England and the English, and this is cornwall not England etc etc' I ask a couple question and it seems to fall silent! Anglophobia in hiding spring to mind and as for MK are they not dragged down with the same idea? Or are they ready to welcome anyone and everyone even those that DON'T agree with the "Cornwall is a Country" idea?

• ebxdlb_  |  August 03 2012, 6:23PM

I am floating voter but would opt for the Conservatives over a party like Mebyon Kernow who's supporters seem often to practice a form of sectarianism on this form and others. Could that be an issues? I think so!

• ebxdlb_  |  August 03 2012, 6:31PM

opps should have read: "I am floating voter but would opt for the Conservatives over a party like Mebyon Kernow who's supporters seem often to practice a form of sectarianism on this FORUM and others. Could that be an issues? I think so!"

• Slimslad  |  August 03 2012, 8:26PM

"It never ceases to amaze me how those who ran away from the problems in Cornwall, feel they have the right to criticise those who stayed behind. " Then, realizing that this might isolate those who left Cornwall to survive... "Those who ran away from Cornwall, (not those who had no other choice, those who ran for purely selfish reasons, they know who they are)" Pure middle-class nonsense, Trembath.

• Carvath  |  August 03 2012, 9:12PM

@ebxdlb_ You seem quite incapable of making a decision about your voting/support intentions, so I'll help put you out of your misery and facilitate. I don't think you have anything to offer MK and I don't think they have anything to offer you. Better for you to vote for the Conservatives like you say as I think you would fit in with their ideals much more closely.

• poldice  |  August 03 2012, 11:23PM

A FLOATER CAN BE HIGHLY EMBARRASING LOL.

• ebxdlb_  |  August 04 2012, 12:12AM

a 'damage-limitation exercise' by poldice and Carvath.

• youngcornwall  |  August 04 2012, 9:11AM

Some very good advice there for you ebxdlb, from I would imagine an MK member, you are not alone, MK does not seem to "have anything to offer" a lot of people when it comes to polling day.

• poldice  |  August 04 2012, 11:24AM

Damage limitation? What damage ebxdlb? I think you may have just persuaded me to actually join MK which could probably fare equally well with out your sort anyway. Your incredibly self righteous posts tend to lack balance almost invariably focussing on the negative, you often come across as attempting to scold anyone who wishes to post here, I well remember the way you dripped on during the Heartlands debate. Your seeming lack of grasp of Cornish matters or indeed the sane sensible Cornish themselves make you but an intrusive irrelevance, given the Tories increasing irrelevance to most others you may well be much happier supporting the failing Tories. YC in a similar vein your throwaway jibes are just as irrelevant. Not to worry though Cornish Quest which I do support enthusiastically is quietly getting on with its own good work with very encouraging financial support from Australian and the US Expats. This programme of cultural enlightenment ought to have been undertaken by Gorsedh Kernow and MK long ago in order to give Cornish youngsters the knowlege to form their own opinions on the future of the place where they live, even if in the unlikely event that they then chose to be English no one could say that they did not have the full facts to assist them in their decision.

• PaddyTrembath  |  August 04 2012, 5:47PM

poldice wrote:- "This programme of cultural enlightenment ought to have been undertaken by Gorsedh Kernow and MK long ago................." Whilst the Gorsedh Kernow could have done something earlier, I would, despite being a member and supporter of MK, not feel comfortable with them, or any other political party, organising, or being responsible for, such a scheme. Whilst it is right that politics, including party politics, should be taught in schools, the only direct involvement any political party should have with children's education should be no more than a guest lecture, outlining their history/policies/beliefs, as part of a balanced course involving other political party's. In short," Politics should be taught to children by impartial teacher"s, and not, "Politicians should teach Children". Children should be taught the facts, and then allowed to make up their own minds.

• poldice  |  August 04 2012, 11:22PM

I Quite agree with Paddy that politicians should not be directly involved in the teaching of our children but I was inferring that MK could or even should have played some part in encouraging and facilitating the education of Cornish children in matters Cornish, after all education should be an absolute priority for the Party for Cornwall. My fear is that MK are just not getting their message out there that they are here, they are active and they are increasingly relevant given the unpecedented disarray of their bully boy political opponents. If MK fail to capitalise on this unique opportunity to advance their cause in the run up to the Lys Kernow elections they will have failed the people of Cornwall in a manner that will ensure they forever remain an insignificant minority trapped in a force field of inaction.

• youngcornwall  |  August 05 2012, 8:43AM

by PaddyTrembath "being a member and supporter of MK" Paddy Trembath. With you "being a member and supporter of MK", do you think comments like yours below help or hinder MK? …"Maybe the Welsh had the right idea :lol:"… …"You always seem to be quick to jump to the defence of second "home" owners, do you have one, and are afraid that someone will have experimented with a box of Swan Vesta's on it before you next wish to spend a weeks holiday there"…

• Slimslad  |  August 05 2012, 10:14AM

In short," Politics should be taught to children by impartial teacher"s, and not, "Politicians should teach Children". Children should be taught the facts, and then allowed to make up their own minds." http://tinyurl.com/4xw2n3j "Impartial facts"? Vital, I would have thought?

• poldice  |  August 05 2012, 10:50AM

I THINK IT IS TIME WE CUT TO THE CHASE STOPPED HURLING THROW AWAY REMARKS AROUND AND SAID WHAT WE EXPECT A CORNISH FOCUSSED CORNISH BASED POLITICAL PARTY OUGHT TO OFFER ALL THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE AND WORK IN CORNWALL INITIALLY BY MEANS OF A SOLID POWER BASE WITHIN CORNWALL COUNCIL. MY THOUGHTS ARE 1 A sound LOCAL educational policy offering equal opportunities to all children regardless of background to deliver useful citizens aware of their history and social responsibilities but focussed on on their future and the contribution they could make to Cornwalls advancement. 2 A coherent equitable social housing policy focussed on delivering houses that Cornish residents who need to can afford to rent, ideally close to their workplace. 3 Planning policies focussed on delivering houses and jobs that do not lead to the destruction of acres of greenfield sites in order to encourage unrestrained speculative development that merely increases the population to unsustainable levels. 4 The courage to rebuff the idea that Cornwalls present (high) population will eventually double. 5 A clear policy on formulating measures to actively benefit farming fishing and tourism as the backbone of the Cornish economy as well as suitable hi tech manufacturing in the renewables field to secure Cornwall growing reputation in this field. IF OR WHEN MK COME OUT FIGHTING ON THESE VITAL ISSUES MANY LIKE MYSELF WILL BUY INTO THE CONCEPT, WE ARE CRYING OUT FOR A LEAD TO MAKE CORNWALL AN EVEN BETTER PLACE FOR ITS PEOPLE THAN IT ALREADY IS, MANY OF US ARE WEARY OF THE DISCREDITED MORRALY BANKRUPT POLITICAL STATUS QUO.

• Slimslad  |  August 05 2012, 12:38PM

All your "THOUGHTS" have been "Thunk" before. See Cornwall Council's education policy. Cornwall's social housing policy is based on "local connection",(i.e. homes for locals). Planning is down to the ConDems. (See St Dennis incinerator) Your conjecture that Cornwall has a "high population" is not the case. Nationalists will tell you that tourism is not part of the "backbone" Of Cornwall's GDP. "Throwaway" enough for you?

• Slimslad  |  August 05 2012, 5:07PM

"MANY LIKE MYSELF WILL BUY INTO THE CONCEPT"? In a literal sense, Poldice? LOL

• poldice  |  August 05 2012, 9:19PM

About what I would expect from a belicose negative nonentity likeyourself slim, I dont care how many times my toughts have been thunk it obviously irritates you that they have not sunk without trace. Education is the cornerstone, the discredited national curriculum imposed by Blair has done little to improve standards. Homes for locals is merely social justice which you appear to dislike. Planning has been down to the condems who have demonstrated they would have difficulty running a bath. Cornwalls population is at the higher end of sustainable merely look at traffic levels and health service shortcomings which are verging on scandalous. I am a nationalist and believe me balanced quality tourism boosts agriculture and fishing as much as they are essential precursors for tourism which largely creates their very lucrative local marketplace. What a pity someone does not throw you away pard but you will give before I do.

• Slimslad  |  August 06 2012, 7:16AM

About what I expect from a "nationalist of your type. Personal insults and unsupportable "facts".

• poldice  |  August 06 2012, 10:03AM

YOU MEAN LESS THAN NOTHING TO ME SLIM SO HOW CAN WHAT I SAY BE PERSONAL? LIKE ME YOU ARE BUT AN AVATAR IN CYBERSPACE AN ENIGMA. BUT YOU HAVE NOTHING LEFT TO SAY HAVE YOU? BECAUSE OVER TIME IT IS YOU WHO HAVE PROVEN THAT YOU ARE A BELICOSE NEGATIVE NON-ENTITY WHO PROWLS THIS SITE INCESSANTLY POURING SCORN ON ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING. SEEMS YOU NOW ARE CRYING FOUL BECAUSE YOU ARE GETTING A TASTE OF YOUR OWN MEDICINE WELL THATS LIFE PARD IT CAN BE TOUGH YOU KNOW. I DOUBT VERY MUCH YOU WILL EVER KNOW WHAT "TYPE" OF NATIONALIST I AM JUST AS I WILL NEVER KNOW OR CARE WHAT MAKES YOU THE SPITEFUL NEGATIVE FORCE YOU ARE. YOU DESPISE US ALL THAT IS PATENTLY CLEAR FROM THE ENDLESS BILE YOU SPOUT. NEVER MIND LET THE FACTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES UNSUPPORTABLE OR NOT? WE MERELY OFFER OPPOSING VIEWPOINTS FOR OTHERS TO JUDGE.

• ebxdlb_  |  August 06 2012, 11:28AM

Voting tory is vote for all people of Cornwall, voting MK IMO is voting for a form of sectarianism or that's how its supporters seem to tar the party, as a Cornish only party, shame really!

• youngcornwall  |  August 06 2012, 12:17PM

"that's how its supporters seem to tar the party" Only if we let them. "Being a member and a supporter" should also come responsibility, or it should do.

• Gurnards_Head  |  August 06 2012, 2:07PM

Voting tory was a wasted vote which I regret. The tories inherited the Blair, Brown,Mandelson, Balls, Morley, Beckett, et al mess and then got in bed with the lib dems in what is proving to be a disastrously unpopular coalitin that is proving to be the worst of all possible outcomes. Cornwall has been let down by all political persuasions so MK is a logical choice for so many who are disillusioned by the present political status quo. Of course MK is a Cornish only party that is exactly what it says on the tin, where is the problem with that when it is only claiming to speak on Cornwalls unique issues, where is that "sectarian" when the really sectarian politicians the con-lab-libs who are incredibly tribal which does not make them any more competent.

• Slimslad  |  August 06 2012, 4:05PM

"YOU DESPISE US ALL THAT IS PATENTLY CLEAR FROM THE ENDLESS BILE YOU SPOUT." Evidence?

• youngcornwall  |  August 06 2012, 4:31PM

"Of course MK is a Cornish only party that is exactly what it says on the tin" With respect GH, if you have a closer look at that tin, it will tell you that it is well out of date, if MK is only good to cater for those who think the same way as you do, they will be forever and a day, out on a limb. MK need to look after the needs of everyone not only those who think they are more Cornish than most, imo anyway.

• Gurnards_Head  |  August 06 2012, 5:13PM

Sometimes I despair with people like you YC, Mebyon Kernow call themselves "The Party For Cornwall" I interpret that to mean Cornwall and all its people not some narrow sectional interest as you seem to claim. Where have you ever seen MK claim to stand for only the most Cornish whatever that means, to do that would be oblivion, political suicide, but neither can MK ever expect to operate outside of Cornwall, it would be irrelevant in say for instance Wiltshire, an undiputably English Shire County. You are merely clouding the water (probably intentionally) by pursuing this argument, that is not to say that MK could not send Cornish MP's to Westminster if they ever got elected to represent their Cornish constituents, (now hear slim and co cough and splutter). BTW slim evidence, you want evidence? evidence of what might I ask? for I do not recognise you, you are a non person, a waste of time, you want evidence, go look for it Pard, if you have not tuned into the vibe by now thats your problem not mine.

• Slimslad  |  August 06 2012, 6:32PM

No "cough and splutter" from me, G_Head. MK have never even come close to sending " Cornish MP's to Westminster". Indisputable fact.

• Slimslad  |  August 06 2012, 6:34PM

No need for any more "evidence", G_Head. Your rudeness says it all.

• ebxdlb_  |  August 06 2012, 6:37PM

And we won't see the Tory members happily posting up anti English graffiti pictures or Lib dem supporters talking about how funny a fire was! MK need to distance themselves from that kind of rhetoric.

• Slimslad  |  August 06 2012, 6:52PM

It is not MK that is the problem. It is those who profess to want self-determination, but only for those that they determine are "worthy", by very tight criterion of ancestry, DNA, culture and language.

• Gurnards_Head  |  August 06 2012, 6:53PM

Maybe not but... theres always next time or the time after... or even never... who knows. If the pleasant easy approach fails I can be incredibly rude, you just havent found out yet Pard. I have no attachement to MK so they dont need to distance themselves from me I can say anything I like that is true and I will. Tories? they are more into pro hunting graffiti are they not ebxdlb? Never mind given their current performance they will let Blair back next time! the tories are definitely better at chasing foxy woxy than they are running the country Tall Ho and all that!.

• Slimslad  |  August 06 2012, 7:25PM

"If the pleasant easy approach fails I can be incredibly rude, you just havent found out yet Pard." Oh dear. What a shame. Never mind.

• Slimslad  |  August 06 2012, 7:48PM

I have no attachement (sic) to MK so they dont need to distance themselves from me I can say anything I like that is true and I will. Should that not read, "say anything I like that I believe to be the truth"?

• Carvath  |  August 06 2012, 8:33PM

Slimslad, not quite up to your world record of 7 posts in a row but you're approaching Olympic gold for obsessive consecutive (serial) posts. Same pattern, make a fool of yourself on things pertaining to Cornwall, then spend the rest of the thread digging yourself out. Give it a rest ol' man for your own self-respect.

• H_Trevorrow  |  August 06 2012, 8:48PM

I wet myself laughing when an MK spokesperson was asked,on a local politics tv broadcast. MK's stance on separatism....hook line and sinker he took the bait and waxed lyrical about the eventual promised land of seperation from westminster....totally off message....Mr Cole must have been banging his head on a wall..what a plonker.

• Carvath  |  August 06 2012, 9:28PM

Was this anything to do with the programme H_T? http://tinyurl.com/d52nwsa

• Gurnards_Head  |  August 06 2012, 10:21PM

EUREKA... ALLELUJAH... BINGO... WOWEE!!! THE NATION OF KERNOW PROCLAIMED... THERES NO GOING BACK. At last they get the message, the Nation of Cornwall is a potentially huge commercial brand that belongs to the people of Cornwall, stuff the politicians, lets promote and capitalise on our luck, we are the custodians, lets prosper from it. Theres no profit in being a peripheral English Shire County, never was, never will be, which we never were but it didnt stop the varmints colonising us for centuries. AND ITS OFFICIAL... THE MORE WE SELL IT... THE FURTHER WE DRIFT AWAY. BYE BYE YOU ORRIBLE NASTY RECIDIVST TROLLS THE GAMES UP YOU ARE EXPOSED. KERNOW BYS VYKEN

• poldice  |  August 06 2012, 10:34PM

Goodness gracious me, not a shot fired, finally the tourist trade has cottoned on to what Cornish people have been saying for years, we will never get out of the doo doo if we rely on politicians. Its a case of "physician heal thyself" get of our butts and get marketing under the Kernow brand, that will evolve naturally and logically into increasing self determination to the benefit of ordinary Cornish people. Evolution not revolution is the way forward, we will control our own destiny, peaceful persistent promotion of a just worthy cause will prove unstoppable, Onen Hag Hal.

• poldice  |  August 06 2012, 10:46PM

Plonker Trevorrow? it takes one to recognise one, the natives are restless what are you going to do about it then? Send for a gunboat perhaps? or occupy free Goongumpus and impose a curfew? demolish Poldice Towers and cofiscate my Baner Sen Peran? ban the sale off pasties? censor the West Briton? the Cornishman? the Cornish Guardian? close the Western Morning News? jam Pirate FM's signal? In truth you and your unpleasant rabble of anglophile fifth columnists are powerless and as I said earlier you are irrelevant non people with nothing of note to say so go away shoo be off with 'ee.

• everywhere  |  August 07 2012, 12:29AM

Hi poldice,do you really believe the people of Cornwall will achieve nationhood via a Kernow brand marketing ploy?...If we wait for Cornwall to evolve,it will in fact dissolve!!!..change comes about when the political and economic system no longer meets the needs of the people...It is called revolution,there are no alternatives!!...Cornwall will have to follow in the footsteps of other nations to win its freedom...

• poldice  |  August 07 2012, 6:02AM

Thankyou for an interesting response everywhere. I may be getting on and have witnessed many dirty deeds and much treachery during my life and successful business career, indeed enough to make me very cynical, however while there is breath in my body I need to believe in the power of good in order to face each day. I generally tend to dislike and mistrust politicians but accept that politics is a necessary evil, yes you are correct about change happening when the political and economic system no longer meets the needs of the people. Without doubt our western civilisation is at or very close to such a tipping point where there is a real danger of an explosion of rage from ordinary people throughout Europe pushed too far by the failings of the political and banking systems and the incompetence and greed that has brought it about. Over an extended period there has been a weakening of democracy as a result of citizens failure to engage in the democratic process and the price is now being paid, greed has created a headlong dash for growth at any cost when commonsense suggests that is unsustainable in anything but the very short term. The unanswered question being what it will take to actually go over the tipping point where Government by consent rapidly collapses into anachy which is not a pleasant prospect. As I said in another post Britain is one of the few European States never to have had a revolution, I still feel there is a chance that it can be avoided but there does need to be an intense shake out of the political classes who have created the unhappy place we now occupy. I am sure that the current dire economic situation is not going to go away unless or until that political shake out occurs, I am not a socialist per se but I am still very uncomfortable with the ongoing concentration of real wealth into fewer and fewer hands. No matter who you are there is a limit to how much whisky you can drink or steak you can eat, once the bills are all paid and theres is a warm dry roof over your head the rest is meaningless yet for that greedy minority sufficient is never enough. In the final analysis I think that any revolution within Kernow must be economic, I have always seen our little Country as a potentially massive brand waiting to bestow its benefits on us all, there is enough hatred elsewhere, I pray that our revolution will be achieved through hardwork success and goodwill towards our fellow men. All my life I have tolerated the sneers of others for expressing my belief that Cornwall is a Country not an English Shire County, the likes of slimslad , trevorrow and co encapsulate that peculiarly English mindset of derision for others and the colonialist need to dominate and control, but patience has been a virtue because progress is now increasingly being made. They are men of straw with nothing worthwhile to say, losers who cannot bear the prospect of what is happening but which they are powerless to stop, their words are hollow, their cause lost. Am I a fool? only time will tell! KERNOW BYS VYKEN.

• Slimslad  |  August 07 2012, 7:59AM

"Slimslad, not quite up to your world record of 7 posts in a row but you're approaching Olympic gold for obsessive consecutive (serial) posts. Same pattern, make a fool of yourself on things pertaining to Cornwall, then spend the rest of the thread digging yourself out. Give it a rest ol' man for your own self-respect." LOL From a very quiet land of misty,(narrow) outlooks and delightful myths and legends, comes Carvath. With glad tidings reported on PirateFM. http://tinyurl.com/d52nwsa Single source at the moment, but I am sure it will "hit the headlines".

• Carvath  |  August 07 2012, 8:38AM

Still making a fool of youself Slimslad (as bad as the Cormorant days) you've been reading too much tourism literature of the wrong type, you're swimming against the tide.

• Gurnards_Head  |  August 07 2012, 8:56AM

Obsessive consecutive disorder typical anglophile troll behaviour. Swimming against the tide? I reckon they have been swept awayby the tide he he he!

• youngcornwall  |  August 07 2012, 8:58AM

by youngcornwall Sunday, August 05 2012, 8:43AM "by PaddyTrembath "being a member and supporter of MK" Paddy Trembath. With you "being a member and supporter of MK", do you think comments like yours below help or hinder MK? …"Maybe the Welsh had the right idea :lol:"… …"You always seem to be quick to jump to the defence of second "home" owners, do you have one, and are afraid that someone will have experimented with a box of Swan Vesta's on it before you next wish to spend a weeks holiday there"…"

• everywhere  |  August 07 2012, 12:22PM

Hi poldice,you say Britain has never experienced revolution??...what was the English civil war then??..It was revolution!!...it was about the emerging capitalist class,and the death of feudalism!!..do not confuse revolution with violence...violent revolution comes into being when the ruling class refuses to relingquish its hold on the social order...Cornwall is in a fight for national liberation...We Cornish will have to wrestle our land from the EIS...history tells us that there is no alternative!!...Let us wake up to what needs to done..Kernow bys vyken.

• trelawneyone  |  August 07 2012, 12:47PM

too negative about most things, stay still and you stagnate which has been kernows downfall for many years. mk from what i can see lives in the past we need to be more positive about more skilled jobs, support ourselves more without the need for things and services being imported from england. we then may get somewhere.

• everywhere  |  August 07 2012, 2:25PM

Hi trelawneyone,Do we build our Cornish nation or play at it??..be more positive about skilled jobs you say.support ourselves more without the need for things and services from england...who will endorse and put all this into practise?..MK.maybe??...No,they will sell their souls,and Cornwall back into the hands of the EIS for a knighthood!!...Lets get off this mythical ballot box road to Cornwalls freedom...

• youngcornwall  |  August 07 2012, 4:49PM

"Lets get off this mythical ballot box road to Cornwalls freedom" At this moment in time MK is the best and only realistic option that Cornwall has, and the ballot box is the only way to do it. If only MK would tighten up on these so called members and supporters in their camp, things might be a little more palatable for those who could be vaguely interested in MK and what they have to offer, the non members that think they are helping MK is another problem, one thing at a time is normally the best way to proceed.

• trelawneyone  |  August 07 2012, 5:02PM

the fairies are everywhere they are also mythical need i say more

• ebxdlb_  |  August 07 2012, 6:15PM

An advertising company which happily wishes to brand Cornwall kernow isn't going to make people vote MK but make the many people in places like Newquay richer, all at the hands of a join us "only" quango! But interesting is how your colours run and this is still a problem for MK and now even more so, what can they offer the English person in Cornwall? The other parties have no nationalistic enmity against England or the English!

• everywhere  |  August 07 2012, 8:18PM

why does MK have to offer the english anything at all!!...or do you expect special dispensation for being english!!...maybe a BNP type answer would suffice....like perhaps a one way ticket back home...

• H_Trevorrow  |  August 07 2012, 9:57PM

As i said mmmmmmmmuuuuuuuuucccchhhhhhhhh earlier....''any grains of wisdom from the kerow-centric community will be aped by the mainstream'' ....hence marketing our wonderful fish, food , hospitality etc has dropped the 'county' title....this is not a signal to begin minting our own currency..............calm yourselves

• cliffwalker2  |  August 07 2012, 11:21PM

Joanie Willetts, MK candidate for North Cornwall has a lot more charisma than the sitting MP Dan Rogerson who is about as charismatic as a bin bag. She also looks good in skinny jeans and wellies, a sort of Celtic Loise Mensch. I voted for her in 2010 and I'd been a paid up Labour member for 15 years until Gordy seized power, the crazed weirdo.

• H_Trevorrow  |  August 07 2012, 11:39PM

...meamwhile as the pseudo socialists play political musical chairs with thier vote the party of big business {consevatives} steal a march on cornwall.....crazy really as we have no big business....we need a party or independents who are remotely interested in the small business culture that is the backbone of Cornish industry {outside of goverment gravy train- employed and unemployed}

• PaddyTrembath  |  August 08 2012, 12:09AM

YC, the runaway. How about providing the link? How about providing the context of the exchange? I would, but I am not so ****ly-retentive as to keep a record of all our little discussions, and, having a life, I can't be bothered to look. I have better things to do with my time than to respond to your futile, spiteful nitpicking. Either contribute something pertinent to the topic being discussed, or take up poetry, taking comments completely out of context in an attempt to make some bizarre, off topic, point is truly pathetic.

• everywhere  |  August 08 2012, 1:18AM

Hi cliffwalker2..joanie willetts??..you are displaying classic signs of the cult of the personality...my grand mother suffered it also!!..she always voted liberal when jo grimond was leader many moons ago...because he looked so nice!!...

• H_Trevorrow  |  August 08 2012, 1:40AM

ban him paddy......doh....LAUGHED OUT LOOOOOUUUUUDDDD.

• youngcornwall  |  August 08 2012, 9:00AM

by PaddyTrembath "How about providing the link? How about providing the context of the exchange?" This is it after it has been Edited by the moderators of that site, even then it doesn't make very good reading. http://tinyurl.com/9xa7n4s

• Gurnards_Head  |  August 08 2012, 9:31AM

So Mr Trevorrow we can offer the odd constructive comment when we really try, can we? I hope I am not seen as a psuedo socialist but I do agree about the political musical chairs, thats their biggest failing they never actually do anything and politics fails when it does nothing beneficial either. I am furious with the progress of this damned Coalition Government under Cameron which I regret having voted for by way of George Eustice, currently unless something dramatic happens in the performance arena party politics as we know them are approching the end of the road. No one currently represents my interests as a small business owner, even the client state is currently dead in the water with the unemployed abandoned to their fate while the jobsworth employed element drift aimlessly as they wait for the chop. That is why I started this discussion, is or could MK be up to the job that needs doing, I would say that presently it is not, but that is not to say.....!!!! MK could be our best hope as an established entity, as there is no time to start another party from scratch. Next year there are elections for Lys Kernow, hopefully there will be a bloodbath but possibly not if the electorate continue to exhibit their usual disdain with the status quo by failing as usual to turn out to vote, MK and good independent candidates stand to gain most from the current embarrassement that constitutes Lys Kenow. If MK were to make significant gains at this stage it would signify that at last it is coming of age, if that progress produces improvement, ideally with MK and independents in the majority (an admitedly tall order but attainable) the next stage will be easier, that is entirely up to the ability of MK to appeal to its currently punch drunk Cornish constituency. The curse of the condems must be removed from Cornish local politics by fair means or foul.

• PaddyTrembath  |  August 08 2012, 12:13PM

Thank you YC. Thank you for reminding me that you have still not had the decency to answer the question. Thank you for demonstrating your complete inability to follow a debate. Deliberately maybe? Thank you for demonstrating that you clearly have little else to occupy your life, so sit there at your computer screen festering for over 3 years to attempt to use an out of context quote to make some spurious point. Thank you for demonstrating that your sole purpose here is to create discord and strife. This site, and others that you, and your cohorts have, have infested, have had enough of such behaviour. Time to grow up and get a life, don't you think.

• PaddyTrembath  |  August 08 2012, 12:26PM

Gurnards_Head wrote:- "That is why I started this discussion, is or could MK be up to the job that needs doing, I would say that presently it is not, but that is not to say.....!!!! MK could be our best hope as an established entity, as there is no time to start another party from scratch." The answer is clear. MK is a small party. MK needs more members to enable it to fill the position we would all like to see it occupy. MK needs more funds, politics these days is not cheap. Like all political parties, MK needs input. As I have said before, if you agree with the basic principles of the party, JOIN, help it progress.

• Slimslad  |  August 08 2012, 3:14PM

Paddy goes on the offensive, after the proof he asked for: "How about providing the link? How about providing the context of the exchange? "Maybe the Welsh had the right idea :lol:" In the context of a BBC report on an attack on holiday homes. http://tinyurl.com/cs5hqz

• H_Trevorrow  |  August 08 2012, 4:19PM

@GH of course conservatives would only need to reinforce thier identity of pro small businesses with thier flair for financial prudence and all the westminster tribulations would be forgotten at county election time. @Poldice interesting you are supportive of expats who are aiding your seperatist ideas....the fact that you think that people not living here and obviously seing Cornwall throughthe nostalgic lens tweaked by your {biased} self is ok speaks volumes of your potentially dubious integrity and of your lack of indigenous support.

• poldice  |  August 08 2012, 4:34PM

What on earth has graffitti daubed on potential holiday homes in Dorset got to do with MK except to underline that its not only in Cornwall or Wales where people are revolted by holiday homes. However vandalism is vandalism wherever it occurs, there is no place for it in Cornwall we are better than that, proper legitimate protest to control holiday homes is not vandalism. Not having much luck lately are we slim?

• youngcornwall  |  August 08 2012, 4:48PM

by PaddyTrembath "Thank you YC. Thank you for reminding me that you have still not had the decency to answer the question." And it appears you do not have the "decency" to answer the question below, not just for me, but for every responsible Cornish person out there and others who have been building their hopes on MK. If you cannot see the damage comments like this do, don't bother replying. Paddy Trembath. With you "being a member and supporter of MK", do you think comments like yours below help or hinder MK? …"Maybe the Welsh had the right idea :lol:"… …"You always seem to be quick to jump to the defence of second "home" owners, do you have one, and are afraid that someone will have experimented with a box of Swan Vesta's on it before you next wish to spend a weeks holiday there"…"

• PaddyTrembath  |  August 08 2012, 6:11PM

youngcornwall wrote:- "And it appears you do not have the "decency" to answer the question below" You first, I've been waiting 3 years. youngcornwall wrote:- "....not just for me, but for every responsible Cornish person out there and others who have been building their hopes on MK." Are you trying to say that you have been building your hopes on MK? Pull the other one. youngcornwall wrote:- "If you cannot see the damage comments like this do, don't bother replying." I see the damage you attempt to do by taking half a question, quoting it out of context, and thinking you are in some way clever. youngcornwall wrote:- "Paddy Trembath. With you "being a member and supporter of MK", do you think comments like yours below help or hinder MK? …"Maybe the Welsh had the right idea :lol:"…" A comment made to start a discussion on the article linked to. youngcornwall wrote:- "…"You always seem to be quick to jump to the defence of second "home" owners, do you have one, and are afraid that someone will have experimented with a box of Swan Vesta's on it before you next wish to spend a weeks holiday there"…""" Now for the rest of the "comment"/question :- "Or is it just that you aspire to owning one, and are afraid that by the time you can afford one the government will have come to it's senses and made them illegal?" A question directed to you, and you alone. A question provoked by your blind insistence of jumping to the defence of those whose greed deprives others of an affordable roof over their heads. Hardly a christian way to behave, is it? If you do not like the way I phrased the question to you, tough.

• youngcornwall  |  August 08 2012, 7:40PM

"You first, I've been waiting 3 years." Stalling is your game, nothing more and nothing less. God help MK, if they have many more members and supporters like you. I rest my case.

• Slimslad  |  August 08 2012, 9:02PM

With 600 members, MK are more of a club than a political party.

• Carvath  |  August 08 2012, 9:44PM

You guys (YC = Tex = Sammy; Slimslad = Cormorant = Emmett = End of Wall; H_T = egbgy? = 24-7 = newtoyou= mobileupload, etc) were all banned from Cornwall24, some several times, some permanently, so one would expect a rather jaundiced view of anything Cornish (sour grapes). Out of the 3, only 1 lives in Cornwall. Your crass "dialogue" and quoting out of context is honestly quite ridiculous. All the things you have tried to stand for, mostly of no consequence to you, are falling by the way side by the day. All 3 of you have no real knowledge of Cornwall or minimal knowledge of people who live here, stop playing games, give it up for your own self respect, if you have any left at all.

• Slimslad  |  August 08 2012, 9:51PM

Bless!

• ebxdlb_  |  August 08 2012, 10:20PM

Carvath? bizarre posting, what the hell are you on about? The sad thing is everything seems personal to you, anger seems to have taken over you, why all the = bits?

• Slimslad  |  August 09 2012, 8:20AM

I think "Carvath" is attempting to convey his/her assertion that I, (and others), have "multiple identities" on this, and other, forums. Not true, (in my case anyway), but one would never persuade those people, like "Carvath" , who see themselves as "victims of oppression". Slimslad, Cheltenham, England.

• Gurnards_Head  |  August 09 2012, 8:47AM

So its fairly common knowlege that MK have 600 members. What is the total Cornish membership of New Labour, Conservatives, and Liberal Democrats on an individual basis, does anyone know? I wager that no party enjoys a high number of paid up members as opposed to others who will be persuaded to vote for them at election time. This tends to indicate that there may well be a considerable tranche of uncommitted voters who could, given the right message and given how badly they have been let down by the main parties, transfer their allegiance to MK albeit as a protest vote. Were this scenario to produce results for MK it would then be up to MK to deliver in order to secure the initial protest vote as solid long term support, it is a fact that there is a groundswell of latent support for MK that could translate into sufficient votes to cause a major upset. Certainly MK cannot merely be written off as hopeless outsiders, any opponent decrying them as a bunch of extreme nationalists could well find that this will backfire badly and increase any protest vote as a number of those already branded in this manner are actually popular well respected figures in Cornish life. I deeply resent the bog standard dismissive put down, "oh you are an extreme nationalist" everytime I post here, yes like many others better known and higher profile than myself we are fervently but never extreme nationalists, we believe in harnessing the wisdom of voters to bring about change through the ballot box. I believe we are currently nearer that objective than we have ever been.

• Slimslad  |  August 09 2012, 4:45PM

"What is the total Cornish membership of New Labour, Conservatives, and Liberal Democrats on an individual basis, does anyone know?" I do. But do your own research. I bet your results end up comparing the whole of England with: "Well, 600 out of an average adult population of 4,000,000 is VERY good!"

• Slimslad  |  August 09 2012, 4:46PM

Sorry, 400,000!

• Slimslad  |  August 09 2012, 4:54PM

So its fairly common knowlege that MK have 600 members." Not "fairly", the leader of MK said so. What isn't "common knowledge" is how many members actually live in Britain, never mind Cornwall.

• Gurnards_Head  |  August 09 2012, 5:23PM

Not really interested in any of your information slim cos it would probably be inaccurate like your pronunciation on Cornwalls population which has risen just north of 500,000. Frantic semantics seem to be your only stock in trade "fairly" refers to the fact that not every one is interested in these things so my version is accurate. Where members live is irrelevant to this issue as most expats have a postal vote so do not torment your limited brainpower on such trivia, the only true test is at the ballot box. Talking of boxes I suggest you get back into yours and stay there you naughty little troll.

• Slimslad  |  August 09 2012, 6:27PM

"Not really interested in any of your information slim cos it would probably be inaccurate like your pronunciation on Cornwalls population which has risen just north of 500,000. "Adult population", G/Head. (Persons 18-years old and older).

• Slimslad  |  August 09 2012, 6:34PM

"Where members live is irrelevant to this issue as most expats have a postal vote so do not torment your limited brainpower on such trivia, the only true test is at the ballot box. " I agree. If they were even British.

• H_Trevorrow  |  August 09 2012, 10:35PM

Averagely MK county councillors{not duchy councillors} get about 400 ish votes .........times that by 5 COUNTY councillors ...equals 2000 voters .....lets add 400 more voters in failed candidates add 100 for good luck and then double the total just for the hell of it...equals 5000 mk fans.............acorns may become great oaks but in political terms this looks like an amoeba that will remain an amoeba

• PaddyTrembath  |  August 09 2012, 11:39PM

H_Trevorrow, actually, they're just Councillors, there is no county council for them to be county councillors of any more. Sorry. Don't mock the amoeba, they'll be around considerably longer than us.

• poldice  |  August 10 2012, 8:07AM

Even insignificant, bothersome trolls have their bizarre use as the devils advocate to air every shady corner of the argument, unfortunately they also muddy waters and waste much time by constantly going off topic, that said bottom feeding pond life will always exist so we must learn to control its negative influence and work around it. Trevorrows barbed snipe at Loveday Jenkin getting elected on 400 votes makes light of the fact that the Lady MK candidate did get elected, the bane of local elections is low turnout because voters simply cannot be bothered to turn out such is the lack of appeal of local affairs. This voter apathy can be made to work in MK's favour as in the Wendron example where a well regarded local candidate can slip in under the radar and create an upset which gave MK a huge boost like it or not. What MK need to do is to appeal to apathetic voters as a viable alternative that really can make a difference to peoples everyday lives given a chance as the alternative mainstream parties have let them down so badly over an extended period. Again Trevorrow is correct that there are no County Councillors insofar that Cornwall is not in the English sense a Shire County, never has been never will be, I would imagine that the correct interim job description would be Unitary Councillors which will do until they are replaced by members of a future Cornish Assembly which is increasingly inevitable. Acorns are also irrelevant an archetypically English tree, we are not in Cornish terms looking at being mighty merely vigourous and perfectly adapted to our unique circumstances, I would liken this situation more to gorse which has an ability to thrive in an hostile environment and spread rapidly, so watch out trevorrow, dont get bitten on the bum by an amoeba!

• Slimslad  |  August 10 2012, 8:54AM

"Gorse"? LOL Invasive and highly flammable.

• poldice  |  August 10 2012, 9:35AM

Hey peanut brain you arent thinking of becoming a swan vestas customer are you???!!! Not particularly invasive merely tenacious and vigourous.

• Slimslad  |  August 10 2012, 11:45AM

"Hey peanut brain"? LOL

• PaddyTrembath  |  August 10 2012, 2:07PM

poldice, I have a sneaky suspicion that a couple of the posters here are secretly working for Bryant and May, to judge by their aversion to any mention of Swan Vestas.

• Slimslad  |  August 10 2012, 3:59PM

Used to work there. Went on strike.

• Slimslad  |  August 10 2012, 4:07PM

Bryant & May Strike http://tinyurl.com/23fxd66 (Real history).

• poldice  |  August 10 2012, 7:03PM

Stike that man out Paddy!!!

• PaddyTrembath  |  August 12 2012, 9:02AM

If only.

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!