Login Register

Discussion

“Local food bank co-ordinator speaks out and reveals the sad lack of interest by MPs. A Guardian article reveals all.

Don Gardner, 68, a retired electrical engineer, runs the Camborne, Pool and Redruth food bank in Cornwall. In 2012, it fed 49,000 people. In the first four months of this year alone it has served 29,000. It started three years ago as an emergency service, but has evolved and grown into something larger. "It's not just crisis situations," says Gardner. "We are getting people who can't live on benefits. And they come to us absolutely desperate."

Gardner has plentiful contacts, a 22-strong network of local churches and ingenious ways of attracting food donations from all parts of the local community. Stocks ran out in March and the food bank had to buy groceries from a supermarket to meet demand. The rising need for food parcels from people on benefits and from low-paid working families unable to make ends meet, he says, "is just frightening."

He says he is not political. But he is quietly furious at the way he feels policymakers and politicians fail to understand the often desperate consequences of what may seem like small cuts to the incomes of people already living close to poverty. He wrote to local MPs asking them simply: "Why is there a need for food banks?" Two didn't answer and the other two failed to answer the question, he says ruefully.

Full article here - http://tinyurl.com/ot3q86x

By MapSerpren Posted: May 29, 2013

6 comments

6 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • MapSerpren  |  May 29 2013, 3:56PM

Matthew, Chapter 25, verses 35 to 40: 35 For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. May the Westminster MPs heads hang in shame and what they are doing.

• rickoon  |  May 30 2013, 9:17AM

II Thessalonians 3:10 "For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat." I assume this does not include those who are not fit enough to work.

• MapSerpren  |  May 30 2013, 12:03PM

David Cameron has acknowledged the work of food-bank volunteers as "part of the big society". Today's coverage in the Independent. Hungry Britain: welfare cuts leave more than 500,000 people forced to use food banks, warns Oxfam Number has trebled in past 12 months http://tinyurl.com/oqdxo36 Some 'big society' David Cameron. Your head should hang in shame.

• Tolgus  |  May 30 2013, 10:23PM

Did you ever ask Mr Gardner about just which politician had spoken to him, "privately" about there being "no need for food=banks in Cornwall", MapSerpren?

• MapSerpren  |  May 31 2013, 10:08AM

I did. It has been thought best to confine comments regarding politicians to those made in the Guardian newspaper as above. They are bad enough I feel.

• MapSerpren  |  May 31 2013, 10:12AM

Local branches of Barclays Bank have indicated they may allow for food donation points. Perhaps other banks may follow. Some may think it was the least they could do!

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!