Login Register

Discussion

“Let us today remember the lost lives of the brave Argentinians who followed their orders and gave their lives. Also those innocent sailors lost aboard the ARA General Belgrano.

Read the advert placed by the President of Argentina in the London press.”

By Chy_Howlek Posted: June 14, 2012

19 comments

19 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • youngcornwall  |  June 14 2012, 9:13AM
  • Slimslad  |  June 14 2012, 9:13AM

I think the Illuminati, NWO and Serco have a lot to answer for!

• Chy_Howlek  |  June 14 2012, 3:52PM

The ARA General Belgrano was not in the English nominated 'Exclusion Zone' at the time. The vessel was sailing away from it. She was never a threat. Today the crew of the now scrapped HMS Conqueror submarine remember and many have regrets according to the press. So they should. But we take heart. the English Navy could not repeat the action. Las Malvinas is close to Argentina. And history will move on.

• Chy_Howlek  |  June 14 2012, 6:53PM

Sad memories for the poor relatives of Argentinian service people whose lives were lost and who have questions to ask. http://tinyurl.com/8xm46br

• Slimslad  |  June 14 2012, 6:56PM

"Are close" Not "is close."

• Slimslad  |  June 14 2012, 7:01PM

In 1994, the Argentine government conceded that the sinking of the Belgrano was "a legal act of war"

• Chy_Howlek  |  June 14 2012, 7:29PM

I remember the headline 'Gotcha' on the news stand as 323 people died. I remember the glorification of that loss of life. I remember wondering why so many torpedoes were required to sink a ship sailing away and outside an artificially created area.

• Chy_Howlek  |  June 14 2012, 7:43PM

649 Argentinian people killed and over 1000 wounded. 258 English killed and 775 wounded. Some surrendering Argentinians had a terrible end: http://tinyurl.com/7gwq9g4

• Taxman100  |  June 15 2012, 12:48PM

Chy_Howlek. 1. In any war, those who were there remember the loss of lives on both sides, not just their own. 2. The allegations you mention were proven to be unfounded. 3. The death and casualty figures you quote are not those from the official British & Argentine reports. 4. The 'Gotcha' headline was wrong, but was perhaps understandable under the conditions prevailing at the time - war! 5. Even the Argentine government, and the Captain of the Belgrano himself (an honest man) admitted it was right for the British to sink the ship. 6. As usual Chy_Howlek, you were not there yet you seem to know a lot about what happened. I assume you gained your flawed knowledge by the reading modern history books. 7. The British have never invaded the Falkland Islands; Argentina did! 8. Britain believes the Falkland Islander's have the right to self determination; Argentina does not! 9. I would have thought you would have given some consideration in your headline to those from the British Armed Forces who died during the war. But then, you constantly refer to them as the English Armed Forces - rather sick don't you think? Particularly, when Soldiers from Scotland & Wales also died during the conflict.

• Taxman100  |  June 15 2012, 4:54PM

CH seems to have plenty of time to make adverse comments about other people. Perhaps he would like to comment on my last. Or, perhaps his original theme at the head of the page was deliberately intended to cause problems - which I would suggest may be in breach of the Forum's usage policy.

• Big_Ger  |  June 15 2012, 9:44PM

Well I'm sure the supporting of the Argentinians over the British will gain Cornish Nationalism a great deal of support here in Cornwall.

• Big_Ger  |  June 15 2012, 10:49PM

Nearly 70 veterans have taken part in a parade at a Royal Navy base in Cornwall to mark 30th anniversary of the end of hostilities in the Falklands War. The 68 veterans joined more than 600 Royal Navy personnel in the parade at HMS Raleigh at Torpoint. The parade was made up of HMS Raleigh's ship's company and trainees, as well as with platoons from Flag Officer Sea Training, the navy said. Rear Admiral Clive Johnstone took the salute. Falklands' sovereignty A guard was formed by HMS Raleigh's Corporate Squadron. Corporate was the codename for the military operation following the invasion, the navy said. Argentine forces surrendered on the island on 14 June 1982. The war saw 255 British servicemen and three Falklands civilians killed. The number of Argentine dead is estimated at about 650. The subject of the islands' sovereignty has been raised again this week after Argentina's president, Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, demanded at a United National committee meeting that Britain entered negotiations. Prime Minister David Cameron said there would be "no negotiation".

• Taxman100  |  June 16 2012, 10:19AM

Big_Ger. CH's thread did not surprise me. He and his friend are so anti-English they find themselves in severe political difficulties when something is labelled British - they cannot be pro-English, and cannot be anti Scottish, Irish or Welsh, quite a dilemma. There solution is of course, post the thread, then run away and hide like the cowards they are. I passed this thread to a host of my Scottish friends, and they were more annoyed about it than I was. I agree, threads like this do nothing for the aims or objectives of the Cornish Nationalists - although I am not sure they know what their aims and objectives are, as they seem to change on a daily basis!

• AKKSK  |  June 16 2012, 11:01AM

I found none of Chy_Howlek's postings on this subject offensive. What I do find offensive is the militarism that resulted in this war and those since. The casualty figures he/she quoted are apparently accurate and reflect losses on both sides. Mr Tam Dalyell MP had much to say on this subject. He was from Scotland, educated in an English University and spoke nothing but sense over this whole show of post colonialist nonsense. I read in some of the right wing London press that even Lady Thatcher has had regrets although I doubt that because, as we all know, the whole Falklands militaristic saga was one designed to draw support for her failing government of the time. Ironically, her Defence Secretary of the time nearly removed the means to fight such a war and those means have since, thankfully, been removed from the government by economic reality. As it stands, the French could militarily occupy the Falklands but the declining UK not. I was horrified to read of those Argentinian PoWs being murdered and bullied. Increasing numbers are aware of what this Country is capable of. As for sending a posting on an internet forum to some alleged friends in Scotland, then to talk of cowardice and running away well! The height of sadness and a rather uneventful and unfulfilled life, no cowardice because internet forums do not call for either bravery or cowardice and one cannot possibly 'run away' from an internet forum! This same poster bathed in the reflected military glory of informing that a submarine 'possibly' armed with nuclear weapons was near the Falklands now. What nuclear weapons? And if these existed, what use would they be. To rain down mass destruction on Argentina perhaps? Unlikely and the result would be the British State having to face war crimes worse that it has and does. I am Cornish by choice and African by heritage. Yes, African, a continent well and truly ruined by Imperialism and Colonialism! I don't often engage in postings here but it was good to see some balance given to the sickening stench of post Imperial self congratulation. We don't all wave our little flags when someone is killed. Those Argentinian military employees, as deluded as those in the British, albeit mainly English, armed forces did as they were told. They too merit remembrance.

• Slimslad  |  June 16 2012, 11:13AM

The fact is,AKKSK, Chy_Howlek states "I have captured all of the postings" so that he may pass them on to the EHRC and the PCC(?). In my opinion, this "thread" was started by Chy_Howlek, not in any way to highlight imperialism and colonialism, but was a clumsy, and (in my opinion), childish, attempt to "enrage" folk into into posting insults and personal slurs. Because this didn't happen, Chy_Howlek, "has gone off in a huff", bless him!

• Taxman100  |  June 16 2012, 1:18PM

AKKSK. Submarines etc - deterrent. Nothing more, nothing less. There is nothing post-colonial about the Falkland Islands situation. Britain believes the Falkland Islanders have a right to self determination, the Argentine does not. The Argentinians invaded the Falkland Islands, and if that is not a form of imperialism/colonialism then I do not know what is. Argentina still threatens the Falkland Islander's by various means, yet Argentina has no rightful claim to the islands. If you believe they have then I would appreciate the details. It is perfectly normal to draw other peoples attention to comments in newspapers or online Forums. Note in another thread there is proof it is regularly done by members of Cornwall 24. I find it difficult to understand why anyone would wish to enter the colour of their skin into any conversation. It is unnecessary, unless of course the person hopes to gain something from doing so. What they might hope to gain I simply do not know. In respect of the Falklands War you say 'mainly English': which shows your total ignorance of the matter, as there were as many Scots, Irish and Welsh who fought in the Falklands in 1982 as there were English. (I wore a Glengarry!).

• Lafrowda  |  June 16 2012, 5:46PM

Chy_Howlek You would not find one in a hundred true Cornishmen to agree with you. You shame us.

• everywhere  |  June 26 2012, 5:27PM

The falklanders are a colonial people. self determination does not come into it...incidently the british army troops were also offensive in their attitude to the islanders...bennys they called them,from a character out of the old tv series crossroads...

• Slimslad  |  June 27 2012, 8:01AM

Colonialism is a set of unequal relationships between the metropole,("Mother country"), and the colony and between the colonists and the indigenous population. The Falklands were deserted when Europeans first arrived. You just keep it going, "everywhere". Don't let the truth get in the way of a good "rant".

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!