Login Register
 °

Discussion

“Lanner Parish Council loses judicial review on housing

http://tinyurl.com/bajj3e7

A parish council has lost its legal fight to stop an affordable housing development being built in Cornwall.

Lanner Parish Council had asked the High Court to review Cornwall Council's approval for the 25 homes.

But, Judge Anthony Thornton QC said Cornwall Council was entitled to exceed it in light of the desperate need for more affordable homes.”

By Slimslad Posted: January 21, 2013

9 comments

9 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • Slimslad  |  January 21 2013, 7:55PM

A I remarked in another thread: "It would appear that local opposition to building affordable housing is one of the main barriers to shortening waiting lists?"

• Big_Ger  |  January 21 2013, 8:07PM

http://tinyurl.com/a5v9bqn Here is the council, should you wish to express your views on their opposition to affordable housing.

• Carvath  |  January 21 2013, 8:53PM

This fits Poldice's preferred model of village development to some extent. He's fairly local to this I think so we'll see what he says.

• poldice  |  January 22 2013, 10:55AM

It fits my model exactly! The more so given that highly successful social housing projects have already been delivered in Carharrack and St Day but there is still demand for many more. According to anecdotal evidence the judicial review is a result of ongoing bitterness between two councillors Kaczmarek and Thomas who have been at loggerheads before. Whilst I am less of a fan of Councillor Kaczmarek than I used to be, on balance in this case I feel Councillor Kaczmarek is on the moral high ground in wishing to get affordable houses built in his own Ward, that said the electoral fallout of this little lot is going to be interesting. I have a feeling that Lanner Parish Councillors having incurred what can only be a hefty legal bill may have some explaining to do as the facts of this matter while bubbling away have been obscure as to the actual rights and wrongs involved, however that is local democracy for you. Perhaps now a decision has been arrived at the full facts will emerge. My take on the matter is that there is a party political motive in the background which merely reinforces my utter contempt for political factions in local government. To pick up on slimslads point in my experience local opposition is often anything but in reality as it is often the retired underoccupied blow ins who make the most noise in these situations with their "pull uo the drawbridge mentality" and propensity to become parish councillors. This is one area of planning where absolute priority must be given to housing local working people otherwise priced off the property ladder absolute priority in securing a home, currently a number of mass developers are seeking to renege on affordable home delivery percentages already agreed with planners, THIS SHOULD NOT BE ACCEPTED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

• Slimslad  |  January 22 2013, 11:17AM

"To pick up on slimslads point in my experience local opposition is often anything but in reality as it is often the retired underoccupied blow ins who make the most noise in these situations with their "pull uo the drawbridge mentality" and propensity to become parish councillors." Any "retired underoccupied blow ins" in Lanner? Any "retired underoccupied blow ins" in Lanner who are also Parish Councillors? Otherwise your "experience"is so much hot air.

• poldice  |  January 22 2013, 11:59AM

Touched a raw nerve 'av I my Boy? Not a blaw in by any chance are 'ee? Its a mark of your desperation to disrupt and mock debate that you sieze on any opportunity to intercede in a negative manner but hey ho it keeps us on our toes. I was generalising actually old boy, Lanner actually has I believe a healthy quotient of locals so could easily prove to be contray to that generalisation, silly me, that said I am sure that if all Cornish Parish Councils were analysed there would be a high proportion of retired incomers involved in many. Very laudable in some respects, they probably have a skill, time on their hands, and a desire to be more extensively servicable to their fellow souls, the problem being they rarely have any concept of what makes us aboriginals tick so they often rub us up the wrong way causing chaos and ill feeling in the process. I may be the exception but I respect any one from any where who can bring their talent to the table in a positive manner, it is the interfering busy body nimby element, once more no matter where they originate from, who dispense negativity that are the problem more particularly when they want to recreate Cornwall in the image of the twee suburb in Middle England that they have recently arrived from. To sum up slimslad, hot air it may be but at least I say something, what a pity that you seem unable to engage in any form of debate other than by offering snide remarks from the safety of the sidelines.

• Chopper8  |  January 22 2013, 12:25PM

by poldiceTuesday, January 22 2013, 11:59AM "Touched a raw nerve 'av I my Boy? Not a blaw in by any chance are 'ee? He'd have to blow in a brave ol' way Poldice! He lives in - wait for it - Newcastle, and knows as much about Cornwall as you or i do about 'Geordie Shore'. ''To sum up slimslad, hot air it may be but at least I say something, what a pity that you seem unable to engage in any form of debate other than by offering snide remarks from the safety of the sidelines." Don't worry ,Poldice, that's his stock in trade. If you just ignore him he'll hopefully go away - like other minor irritants. Err, ''LOL', eh, Slim?

• Slimslad  |  January 22 2013, 12:51PM

"I may be the exception but I respect any one from any where who can bring their talent to the table in a positive manner, it is the interfering busy body nimby element, once more no matter where they originate from, who dispense negativity that are the problem more particularly when they want to recreate Cornwall in the image of the twee suburb in Middle England that they have recently arrived from." "Respect"? "To pick up on slimslads point in my experience local opposition is often anything but in reality as it is often the retired underoccupied blow ins who make the most noise in these situations with their "pull uo the drawbridge mentality" and propensity to become parish councillors."

• Big_Ger  |  January 23 2013, 7:45PM

I see they are appealing the decision, what a waste of taxpayer money.

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!