Login Register

Discussion

“KERNOW CALLING MEMBERS TAKE ACTION TO KEEP THE PEACE IN ST. JUST !!

Anyone who has any connection with Cornwall will probably have experienced one of the many town feast days.

Anyone who has any connection with St. Just will know what a special time it is and how much it means to the small town.

We were first made aware that something "wasn't right" when we cruised down the picturesque granite hillside that leads to the town and flying high from the most prominent building
in the area, (the parish church of St. Just) was the red and white cross of St. George of england. This was especially troubling due to the annual feast celebrations and with every year in memory the usual black and white cross of St. Piran had been flown proudly above the Parish.

It was clear that tensions were high in the town and when we arrived, witnessed a local man being jeered in one of the pubs for wearing an England jacket!

As we started to communicate with numerous people involved with the celebrations it became clear that the feeling was felt from the majority, that it was a very foolish statement to make from the church and considered it to be inflammatory and insulting to the people of St. Just and the many visitors that came from far and wide to enjoy feast day.

Many prominent local figures expressed their concerns, it was also commented that a coach full of singers from Newquay "felt like turning the bus around and going home" at the sight of the flag of england as they approached the town. Even local celebrity Johnny Cowling expressed his shock and disappointment!

Later on, after talk turned more sinister in the pubs with youths threatening to scale the high church and with two men were even overheard to be discussing whether they could shoot down the flag pole with a shotgun, KernowCalling decided to step in and take action.

(sourced from Facebook)”

By Cadoc Posted: November 06, 2012

72 comments

72 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • Cadoc  |  November 06 2012, 11:33AM

At 9.30 this morning, (the final day of feast celebrations, A KernowCalling member, aided by two members from Bude and a member from Camelford), entered the parish church and one activist entered through a hatch and climbed the high belfry tower and replaced the flag of England with 12 foot length of St. Pirans bunting. The operation was a success and within minutes of the action taken, the church caretaker was seen running into the building carrying a black and white cross - The National flag of Cornwall and proceeded to hastily raise it! The members involved were confident enough to stay around the square to watch the traditional hunt gather, despite the threat that the police had been informed. As the crowds gathered to see off the hunt, it was clear that there was huge support for the action and many people expressed their thanks along with their words of support for the team involved. We condemn the flying of the flag of St. George in Cornwall and believe it to be inflammatory and could lead to breach of the peace. We will continue to support our members who take action in removing these flags. This is a brief report on the action taken today in St. Just and follow up reports and correspondents will be posted bellow. Congratulations to all involved and we hope this will send a clear message to anyone who insists on causing offence to the people of Cornwall by raising the English flag over our towns and villages. (sourced from a report on Facebook today)

• JJLee  |  November 06 2012, 11:57AM

Then you better start swimmin' Or you'll sink like a stone When the face book warriors Stand all alone For the times they have moved on Leaving them in St Just One person does not a protest or movement make (source The English County)

• Big_Ger  |  November 07 2012, 7:23PM

Cornish Nationalists vandalise Church flag!

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 07 2012, 9:46PM

Wrong again Big_Ger but hardly unusual for you, is it? If you read the full account on FB and on Cornwall Community News, the on line newspaper, you will see that Reverend Leach found his Georgie flag neatly folded up in his church tower. You will also find that dozens of complaints have been lodged by St. Justers about their parish priest and his diminishing flock, one from a 67 year old former member of his congregation. The National Flag of Cornwall flies over St. Just this evening. Big_Ger - you really couldn't make him up! Kernow bys vyken!

• youngcornwall  |  November 08 2012, 9:34AM

by Big_Ger "Cornish Nationalists vandalise Church flag!" Very irresponsible in my opinion, it only needs a few skinhead BNP type supporters to cotton on to this and there could be a lot more trouble, perhaps this is what these Cornish nationalists want. A good case of breaking and entering by the nats so far, how far do they want to go, that is the thing.

• Cadoc  |  November 08 2012, 10:30AM

Which part of the news report do you not understand 'youngcornwall'? The whole town was in uproar at the actions of the Vicar and one towns person threatened to shoot down the St George flag. Big_Ger has misreported as usual. And yes, the St Piran's does indeed still fly over St Just! - by wish of the entire town!

• Cadoc  |  November 08 2012, 10:35AM

And here is the news report on Cornwall Community News: http://tinyurl.com/aksyxc6

• Slimslad  |  November 08 2012, 1:55PM

KernowCalling decided to step in and take action. ? Did he? LOL

• Cadoc  |  November 08 2012, 2:40PM

Apparently so. Been ship spotting today? LOL

• Slimslad  |  November 08 2012, 2:50PM

Been ship spotting today? LOL"

• H_Trevorrow  |  November 08 2012, 6:21PM

is nothing sacred?

• youngcornwall  |  November 08 2012, 7:09PM

And a good time was had by all, whatever others have to say it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. http://tinyurl.com/b5jh9zu

• H_Trevorrow  |  November 08 2012, 7:47PM

lets be honest st just is teeming with up country dropouts trying to ingraciate themselves with any local they can find by trying to seem remotely interested in some long dead culture of interest to no one accept those with a huge inferiority complex.

• Big_Ger  |  November 08 2012, 8:02PM

Breaking into church and vandalising the church property, how low will Cornish nationalists go!

• H_Trevorrow  |  November 08 2012, 8:47PM

desecration of a holy shrine , of any faith, must require a self loathing , lack of self respect which should be the object of great pity

• avonbeg  |  November 08 2012, 9:06PM

From what I read Big_Got, the church was open,and the Revd. Stephen Leach of St Just in Penwith had confirmed that there had been no damage.So the question is how low will English nationalists go?

• Big_Ger  |  November 08 2012, 10:34PM

Cornish nationalists vandalise church property and boast about it here!!

• avonbeg  |  November 08 2012, 10:38PM

Big-Got define vandalise?

• Cadoc  |  November 08 2012, 11:10PM

Yes, we boast about a victory over the English neo Imperialists. Mr Blobby, The church warden rushed to fly our National Flag from their English Church. It still flies there today. A Cornish flag on the cursed English Church in our Country. And the word is they daren't take the Cornish National Flag down. They have been warned of the consequences and they appear to have heeded that warning. Dozens of complaints have been lodged about their English priest. More direct action to come by the brave patriots of Kernow Calling too according to FB postings so watch this space Blobby! No more blood banners over Kernow just as no swastikas over Jerusalem! Remember 1549 Mr Blobby - we do!

• Cadoc  |  November 08 2012, 11:11PM

Big_Ger = Big_Got; Love it! LOL

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 08 2012, 11:34PM

Just checked on Facebook out of interest. The Baner Peran still flies over St. Just. Apparently the vicar has not been seen. Great photoraphs as well. Kernow bys vyken!

• kernowcallin  |  November 09 2012, 2:23AM

Revd. Stephen Leach of St Just in Penwith comments on the removal of the flag of St George I spoke to the Revd. Stephen Leach of St Just in Penwith Parish Church this morning to ask his view on the removal of the Flag of St George. I asked the Revd. Leach did he think it was right to fly the flag of St George in Cornwall when many people regard the Duchy as having a separate identity and also did he think it right flying the flag of England during the St Just feast as many of his parishioners and visitors regard it as a Cornish celebration and thought that the flag of St Piran more suitable? The Reverend explained that he flew the flag of St George during the St Just feast ,( a celebration of the consecration of the church), as the 15th century fresco inside the church depicted St George and this was within guidelines laid down by the the Church of England,he went on to say that the church generally flies the Union flag and sometimes the St Piran. I asked the Reverend if he was aware was that in not flying the St Piran it caused offence to many people . He explained that he felt that this was an issue that was taken up by younger people and that many of the older parishioners were not that concerned about which flag was flown and that the Cornish had a very strong sense of identity and no matter what flag flew they would know who they were. I asked the reverend would he confirm that no damage had been committed , he did confirmed this though he was annoyed his flag had been stolen,I told him from what I was given to understand the flag had been neatly folded and left on top of the church tower. KC press. The posting by KernowCalling on Tuesday 6th of November

• cweatherhill  |  November 09 2012, 9:17AM

The fact remains that, for many years, St Piran's Flag flies from St Just church tower on St Piran's Day, the whole of the Lafrowda Festival and for the whole of St Just Feast. Flying the English (Genoan) flag was a first and, in the view of a great many St Justers, it was a deliberately provocative act. Nothing was "vandalised" so, once again, Blobby has it completely wrong. When the offending flag was taken down, it was replaced with the proper flag by the church caretaker. Three days later, I'm happy to say that Baner Peran is still flying proudly from the tower. The C15 fresco does not depict St George, but St Michael, whose cult was widespread in the area, and was slaying dragons long before St George was ever introduced (viz. the Helston legend). Back in the C15, when the fresco was painted, there was no such thing as a Church of England, a State religion that wasn't invented and enforced until 1549. The tower also has a medieval bell, with an inscribed dedication to St Michael. This much-disliked vicar needs to learn something about the church he was appointed to.

• JJLee  |  November 09 2012, 10:25AM

The only people that worry about flags are bigots and thugs as these comments verify

• Big_Ger  |  November 09 2012, 10:57AM

Stealing church flags, the best Cornish nationalists can aspire to.

• Cadoc  |  November 09 2012, 10:57AM

I agree with you JJLee - the Anglophiles here who deny us Cornish our lawful rights are indeed bigots and thugs.

• Cadoc  |  November 09 2012, 10:59AM

That is fascinating about St. Michael, cweatherhill. Perhps someone old to tell old Leach that!

• Cadoc  |  November 09 2012, 11:21AM

Interesting to read elsewhere that a 67 year old lady has complained about the Vicar's actions along with dozens of others! Good for her!

• Carvath  |  November 09 2012, 11:27AM

Good information from cweatherhill.

• CallingtonFox  |  November 09 2012, 1:49PM

As the subject of discrimination is such a serious one and many here, including myself, are being, in one way or another, accused of it at least by implication, I think it about time something was done. So I post here a link to the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) in order for complaints to be made in respect of said implied discrimination http://tinyurl.com/m7cq77 There are other organizations you can use too if you wish to look them up.

• Cadoc  |  November 09 2012, 2:00PM

Mr Blobby's got it wrong again. Their English flag was left neatly folded on top of their church tower as confirmed by their English vicar. Do try harder Mr Blobby!

• kernow333  |  November 09 2012, 2:08PM

It was great to hear about the English flag taken down at St.Just and replaced by the Cornish flag. As a proud Cornishman it always upsets me to see the wrong flag being flown on public buildings. It also upsets me to see the wrong flag being flown in people's gardens etc. Kernow bys Vyken

• CallingtonFox  |  November 09 2012, 2:24PM

What are you all waiting for? http://tinyurl.com/m7cq77

• youngcornwall  |  November 09 2012, 4:35PM

by cweatherhill "Flying the English (Genoan) flag was a first and, in the view of a great many St Justers, it was a deliberately provocative act." Was it really, in the 675 years of St Justs feasts? Come off it pull the other one, and how many was "many", I would be more inclined take more notice what Revd. Stephen Leach had to say, more like......."was taken up by younger people and that many of the older parishioners were not that concerned about which flag was flown"

• H_Trevorrow  |  November 09 2012, 4:49PM

It must be great being a cornish nationalist....sorting flags out all day....living the dream....

• Cadoc  |  November 09 2012, 5:11PM

It can't be good be a pretend Cornishman 'English Trevorrow'? Another quiet day at the boat yard? Pointless to keep posting yp the links 'English Fox'. The only privy you have access to is your own toilet. If you were privy to several other places, you would know that everything posted here is carefully recorded by some and then reported to many agencies. That might save you a bit of time. Quiet day in Brum, Mr Harvey?

• CallingtonFox  |  November 09 2012, 5:29PM

by Cadoc Friday, November 09 2012, 5:11PM Pointless to keep posting yp the links 'English Fox'. The only privy you have access to is your own toilet. If you were privy to several other places, you would know that everything posted here is carefully recorded by some and then reported to many agencies. That might save you a bit of time. I do not give a monkeys backside who is recording what and where. What I do care about is discrimination. You know that you do not have a leg to stand on that is why you will not use the E.H.R.C.

• youngcornwall  |  November 09 2012, 7:22PM

"was taken up by younger people" And they continue to play on here, if you are silly enough to take any notice.

• Slimslad  |  November 09 2012, 7:43PM

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." (Samuel Johnson, 1775)

• Carvath  |  November 09 2012, 8:09PM

when were you last in St Just, youngcornwall?

• youngcornwall  |  November 09 2012, 8:32PM

September 2010, is that OK for you boy.

• Carvath  |  November 09 2012, 8:56PM

Pretty au fait with up to the minute information then yc!

• Slimslad  |  November 09 2012, 9:50PM

Perhaps we should accept that these young people have been listening to the old f*rts with "an axe to grind"? That the presenting, or removal, of any "icon" can result in someone being hurt, upset,enraged, or even injured, does not occur to these " silver warriors"" They want their "15 minutes of fame".

• Slimslad  |  November 09 2012, 9:51PM

They are below contempt.

• CallingtonFox  |  November 10 2012, 12:12AM

"Meanwhile ol' foxy doesn't understand, reports are often made to the EHRC and the Press Complaints Commission" Well good for you then. We should soon be seeing some prosecutions I guess cadoc boy. I look forward to seeing their responses.

• CallingtonFox  |  November 10 2012, 12:33AM

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain; the Union of Scotland and England and Wales via England. Cornwall, my Cornwall, your Cornwall and a part of England.

• youngcornwall  |  November 10 2012, 9:01AM

"That the presenting, or removal, of any "icon" can result in someone being hurt, upset,enraged, or even injured, does not occur to these " silver warriors" " And we all know which political party these people support. This is the very time MK does not want to be painted with the same brush, but these parasite types cling to anything and pull them down to their level, another sad day for Cornwall.

• cweatherhill  |  November 10 2012, 9:41AM

You weren't in St Just that morning, Mr Harvey. I was. And there was as much outrage among the older people as the younger ones. And, Blobby, as you can't read other posts, I'll try just once more. No one broke into anywhere, nothing was stolen, and nothing was vandalised. The church is a public building and was unlocked. The offending flag was taken down, neatly folded and placed in the tower. You're really making yourself look silly now.

• PaddyTrembath  |  November 10 2012, 9:46AM

Slimslad wrote:- "That the presenting, or removal, of any "icon" can result in someone being hurt, upset,enraged, or even injured, does not occur to these " silver warriors"" Apparently it does not occur to Vicars either!

• youngcornwall  |  November 10 2012, 2:15PM

by cweatherhill "You weren't in St Just that morning, Mr Harvey. I was. And there was as much outrage among the older people as the younger ones" I assume you are replying to my post, this just shows how trustworthy you are, think you know, and the truth is you know very little. So the Revd Stephen Leach is telling lies then? This is what he said…" the older parishioners were not that concerned about which flag was flown". It is a good job the main media didn't take it up, how much the nats would have liked that, "a storm in a teacup" or in a pint glass more like lol.

• Cadoc  |  November 10 2012, 7:45PM

Fresh from Facebook site updating on this patriotic action. The St Piran flag still flies over St Just this evening! Well done boys! Have heard it could be an interesting church service tomorrow!

• Gurnards_Head  |  November 10 2012, 9:15PM

YER YER YER I SEE THAT VARMINT BLOBBY IS RAISIN A BRAVEISH HEAD OF STEAM BOUT THIS LITTLE FLAG CAPER... Capn Dick would be mighty proud of the pressure he be raisin bout the Boys who swapped the wrong flag for the right un at St Just Feast. No harm was done as confirmed by that silly Parson who caused all the ructions in the first place yet theym tryin to say Cornish Boys be vandals... my dear life and soul... what be the matter with ee' gisson bout yer own business and leave Cornish affairs to we who d'knaw bout these things. They there self righteous Anglophiles blatherin on bout nohthin be makin idiots of theyselves give em enought rope yew and let un hang theyselves... lets gisson down the Star for a pint and a sing song and leave un to it.

• PaddyTrembath  |  November 11 2012, 5:00PM

You looking in a mirror again Slimslad? ;-)

• youngcornwall  |  November 11 2012, 7:40PM

by Cadoc Saturday, November 10 2012, 7:45PM "Have heard it could be an interesting church service tomorrow!" Yes Remembrance Sunday. I can remember marching years ago at St Just, wearing the ATC (Air Training Corps) uniform, with only a pair of brown shoes to wear, and was very proud to do so. I have no doubt then and again today that the appropriate flag has been flown.

• JayPaulUK  |  November 12 2012, 12:37AM

I'm sorry but this whole flag thing is complete idiocy... Cornwall is a county of England, no matter how many times people argue otherwise. Cornwall does have the economy to even support itself as a country either. So..why the bother about the flag of St George? I come from the county of down, in Northern Ireland, Down has it's own flag but has issues surrounding the flying of the jack (it's only the union jack if it's on a ship) or the irish tricolour. Sick and tired of this sort of thing.

• cweatherhill  |  November 12 2012, 6:57AM

Really, Jay. I suggest you read up a few facts, not propaganda, before posting on here.

• Gurnards_Head  |  November 12 2012, 10:52AM

Bedtime boys & girls... the right flag got flown (eventually)... its yesterdays news lets move on.

• KernowGB  |  November 12 2012, 11:33AM

@JayPaulUK (re Monday, November 12 2012, 12:37AM) The road to enlightenment: -- http://tinyurl.com/d9o8gx4 -- You said: "Cornwall is a county of England, no matter how many times people argue otherwise." Such a categorical statement is more representative of a closed mind, and passive acceptance, than it is to signify knowledge!

• CallingtonFox  |  November 12 2012, 1:48PM

I know it's a wiki link but it is the actual charter wording. http://tinyurl.com/cuzwnsu This charter still stands. Search for 'England', 'County' and 'Cornwall', for ease but I urge you to read the whole thing.

• KernowGB  |  November 12 2012, 2:49PM

@CallingtonFox (re Monday, November 12 2012, 1:48PM) And............? :) I have read the charter hundreds of times since the mid 1980s, as I have also done with regard to how the Duchy Law Officers referred to its submission (by the Crown) in the mid-19th century arbitration with the Crown. Surely a matter for 'the other thread' linked to in my post?

• CallingtonFox  |  November 12 2012, 3:10PM

by KernowGB Monday, November 12 2012, 2:49PM "I have read the charter hundreds of times since the mid 1980s, as I have also done with regard to how the Duchy Law Officers referred to its submission (by the Crown) in the mid-19th century arbitration with the Crown." I can say 'and?' to that as well, I have read these things also and see nothing to prove your points. So round in circles we go again. If the case you put forward is a sound one then why not seek through legal means to have your 'rights' recognised? The fact is that this whole issue has been argued over for heaven knows how long and it still remains that Cornwall is a part of England. My Cornwall, your Cornwall, Cornwall a part of England.

• KernowGB  |  November 12 2012, 4:07PM

@CallingtonFox (re Monday, November 12 2012, 3:10PM) You forgot the crucial component: "Cornwall" - Not a part of England! I can hear the people of St Just shouting, "Get off our thread, and be patient!"

• CallingtonFox  |  November 12 2012, 4:10PM

Enough is enough, time to act; http://tinyurl.com/ck298c7

• CallingtonFox  |  November 12 2012, 4:25PM

"You forgot the crucial component: "Cornwall" - Not a part of England!" Cornwall, my Cornwall, your Cornwall and a part of England.

• Lafrowda  |  November 12 2012, 6:28PM

I was in the Square on Feast Monday and never heard the issue mentioned. What I did hear a lot of complaint about was the irresponsible actions of the anti-hunt brigade that nearly caused horses to spook with families and children among them enjoying the day.

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 12 2012, 8:32PM

Still geographically and historically challenged my little English Fox? Cornwall part of the geographic entity of Great Britain. England does not exist. I have seen no proof for it. I was however encouraged by Cornwall Council to include 'Cornish' on the census as my Nationality and Land of Birth. You are very welcome to keep your imagined country of England. Perhaps have a wander with Mr Harvey to the local mosque in Birmingham and have a chat there about it? Just ask not so 'youngcornwall'. He'll know where it is. Kernow bys vyken! http://tinyurl.com/b959dr3

• youngcornwall  |  November 12 2012, 8:45PM

by Lafrowda "I was in the Square on Feast Monday and never heard the issue mentioned." Thank you Lafrowda, just what we expected really, how can you take these people seriously, they take it all in on c24, best all kept there if you ask me.

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 12 2012, 9:19PM

"Still geographically and historically challenged my little English Fox? Cornwall part of the geographic entity of Great Britain. England does not exist. I have seen no proof for it. I was however encouraged by Cornwall Council to include 'Cornish' on the census as my Nationality and Land of Birth. You are very welcome to keep your imagined country of England. Perhaps have a wander with Mr Harvey to the local mosque in Birmingham and have a chat there about it? Just ask not so 'youngcornwall'. He'll know where it is. Kernow bys vyken! http://tinyurl.com/b959dr3"

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 12 2012, 9:41PM

Cornish not English, Cornwall not England - by approval of the Government of Cornwall at Lys Kernow: http://tinyurl.com/5tjs757 Kernow bys vyken!

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 12 2012, 9:50PM

Still waiting to see your proof of England, little English Fox. Incidentally, which EDL branch were you a member of? Kernow bys vyken!

• CallingtonFox  |  November 12 2012, 10:02PM

EDL? Not me, TK lad. What branch of plastic nationalism do you belong to?

• Cadoc  |  November 13 2012, 12:05AM

I just like to point out Tristan that you appear to be 'talking' to yourself and responding to posts which aren't there!

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!