“Holiday home numbers top 40%

http://tinyurl.com/bz688kc

By Slimslad Posted: January 08, 2013

29 comments

29 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • Slimslad  |  January 08 2013, 7:50PM

To put all these figures into perspective: "The total number of second homes in Cornwall is 14,446 out of a housing stock of 260,077, according to the figures from Cornwall Council Community Intelligence." Under 6%"

• PaddyTrembath  |  January 08 2013, 9:37PM

With, apparently 18,000ish families on the housing waiting list in Cornwall, your perspective is clearly relative.

• JJLee  |  January 09 2013, 9:42AM

One of the easiest ways to wind-up the weak is to abuse a few statistics and find what you set out to find, a good example is in Slims first two comments, on one he has used Holiday and the other second homes, you then read the article and under the bigot loving headline you see the words "some areas". IMHO Mr Wallis should stick to commenting on his area alone which has nothing like the hysterical 40% figure removing his soap box straight away.

• Carvath  |  January 09 2013, 10:46AM

Sounds as if you've been wound up then JJLee. Your remarks about Councillor Wallis sound a bit parochial to say the least as in addition to being a Town Councillor he is also a Cornwall Unitary Authority Councillor so in addition to his own area has interests from Sennen to Saltash and Stratton so to speak.

• H_Trevorrow  |  January 09 2013, 12:50PM

Wallis is playing the polotics of envy game. Quite insulting to his electorate to dumb down polotics in this way. The desperate measures of a man with no original ideas and no vision other than to create false bogey men. Pathetic really.

• Slimslad  |  January 09 2013, 1:10PM

Since the article addresses the issue of holiday homes and never mention housing waiting lists... PaddyTrembath's "perspective" is slightly twisted, in my opinion.

• H_Trevorrow  |  January 09 2013, 1:44PM

Confusing issues is probably down to old age... a common theme, old age and confusion, with nats.

• JJLee  |  January 09 2013, 2:52PM

Carvath a none troolish comment! For clarity, all I want to hear Wallis say is sorry and goodbye for not paying his council tax.

• Slimslad  |  January 09 2013, 4:21PM

By the way... Is Councillor Wallis up for re-election this May?

• H_Trevorrow  |  January 09 2013, 6:37PM

Unless he can be persuaded of the futility of his exsistance i have a lowering feeling he will attempt to defend his 10 vote majority.

• H_Trevorrow  |  January 09 2013, 6:45PM

20K A YEAR for a part time job for someone with so little talent .......he will imo defend his 10 vote majority with the vigour normally reserved for pulling a rapist off of ones sister.

• Slimslad  |  January 09 2013, 7:06PM

Cornwall Council gives go-ahead to 140 new homes at Redruth http://tinyurl.com/b8gc26s Members of Cornwall Council's west sub-area planning committee decided on Monday afternoon that the town's affordable housing need was too large to ignore, and approved the application by eight votes to zero, with two abstentions. Cornwall Council's West Sub-area Planning Committee, (members). Kym Willoughby (Liberal Democrat) Morwenna Williams (Conservative) Terry Wilkins (Conservative) Andrew Wallis (Independent) Joan Tanner (Conservative) John Pollard (Independent) Liz Penhaligon (Conservative) Sue Nicholas (Conservative) Bill Maddern (Conservative) Ruth Lewarne (Liberal Democrat) John Keeling (Independent) Neil Hatton (Conservative) Roger Harding (Conservative) Chris Goninan (Independent) John Coombe (Independent) David Biggs (Conservative) Irene Bailey (Independent) Jon Stoneman (Conservative) Stuart Cullimore (Mebyon Kernow) Rob Nolan (Liberal Democrat) David Hughes (Liberal Democrat) Neil Plummer (Mebyon Kernow) Loveday Jenkin (Mebyon Kernow) Chris Pascoe (Independent)

• PaddyTrembath  |  January 09 2013, 10:24PM

Slimslad wrote:- "Since the article addresses the issue of holiday homes and never mention housing waiting lists... PaddyTrembath's "perspective" is slightly twisted, in my opinion." Holiday Homes/Second Homes, if you are unable to see the connection between them and Housing Waiting lists, it is clear that it is your opinion that is "twisted".

• JJLee  |  January 10 2013, 9:40AM

Mon, 17/12/2012 - 15:24 Wallis said I have never been against second homes, or as we otherwise call those not in full time occupation because they do contribute to the local economy. I am still trying to work out what this part timer was going on about, but his obession with second homes is verving on creepy

• Slimslad  |  January 10 2013, 2:11PM

Seeing that less than 6% of housing in Cornwall are "holiday homes"? I t would appear that local opposition to building affordable housing is one of the main barriers to shortening waiting lists?

• H_Trevorrow  |  January 10 2013, 4:52PM

Twisted is the idea that you could convert holiday homes into social housing ....its fantasy for fools.

• PaddyTrembath  |  January 10 2013, 9:35PM

H_Trevorrow wrote:- "Twisted is the idea that you could convert holiday homes into social housing ....its fantasy for fools." The "holiday homes" are taken up by the wealthier locals, leaving their properties vacant for the not quite so wealthy, leaving their homers vacant for...................................eventually those on the housing lists have vacant properties to move into. Everyone moves up a notch. Simple. I could say that only a fool would be unable to see it!.....................But that would be sinking to your level!

• Slimslad  |  January 11 2013, 1:20PM

"The "holiday homes" are taken up by the wealthier locals"? "Taken up", PaddyTrembath? Bought, rented, or or even confiscated?

• H_Trevorrow  |  January 11 2013, 3:02PM

Paddy i'm embarrassed on your behalf.....

• youngcornwall  |  January 11 2013, 3:33PM

by H_Trevorrow "Paddy i'm embarrassed on your behalf....." If it were just kept on their own forum that wouldn't be so bad, but by bringing their way of understanding things over here for the whole world to see and snigger at, is an embarrassment for Cornwall to say the least.

• H_Trevorrow  |  January 11 2013, 5:25PM

...there's a forum for the feeble minded?

• AnGof2012  |  January 11 2013, 6:21PM

They are due to be heavily taxed. Good. Cornwall next to Engerland just like Wales. Cornish not Engerlish and not a thing the EIS trolls can do about it!

• Slimslad  |  January 11 2013, 7:00PM

"E.I.S."? Another "conspiracy" ? Come in, Cheltenham.

• H_Trevorrow  |  January 11 2013, 9:41PM

Your so last year angof..... Surely your tag line should read......Cornwall defacto part of England and therefore not really like Wales in any way at all.

• AnGof2012  |  January 11 2013, 11:32PM

Trevorrow, an English imperialist assuming a Cornish name. Cornwall next to Engerland just like Wales. Cornish not Engerlish and not a thing the EIS trolls can do about it

• Slimslad  |  January 12 2013, 7:35PM

"Trevorrow, an English imperialist,(sic), assuming a Cornish name."? I wonder if you realise how controversial that statement is? I think you do.

• Big_Ger  |  January 12 2013, 8:00PM

I know "an area" of Porthleven where 100% of the houses are holiday homes!!! And they are both very nice houses too....

• Slimslad  |  January 12 2013, 10:20PM

100% in Rock... 0% Redruth... 6% in Cornwall.

• AnGof2012  |  January 13 2013, 4:55PM

Trevorrow, an English imperialist assuming a Cornish name. Cornwall next to Engerland just like Wales. Cornish not Engerlish and not a thing the EIS trolls can do about it

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!