Login Register
 °

Discussion

“HOW WE GOT TO BRITAIN

http://tinyurl.com/d3jtlae

Our human occupying history thus began long before the arrival of Celtic-speaking migrants in Britain. It is unacceptable to arbitrarily put the starting point of our story where it suits Cornish nationalist or Anglo-Saxon nationalist myths and politics. We should acknowledge all the long years of Britain’s history.

http://tinyurl.com/bvsvpmp

By JJLee Posted: November 19, 2012

61 comments

61 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • KernowGB  |  November 19 2012, 11:31AM

This is just more EIS apologist (or, more likely, British nationalist?) claptrap by Mudhook. There is a world of difference between the "Human" story (legitimate) and the "Cornish" story (legitimate), or even the equally legitimate "English", "Welsh" or "Scottish" stories. If the point being made has any logic to it that it can only be used as the "British" story, then also nested within that story must rest the other stories. That is the nature of history, which at any 'period' reflects the 'conflict' that exists through lack of respect and/or power politics of an Imperialistic entity and the challenges brought about because of the tangible existence of what is 'right' and what is 'wrong', during our limited, but definitely identifiable, 'period' of existence. What, I wonder, is the ultimate 'agenda' point that is attempting to be made?

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 19 2012, 12:11PM

Spot on KernowGB and the Cornish and Welsh are the purest Britons according to the headlines in this very newspaper and others and have been on these islands a lot longer than relative newcomers, the Germanic English. Celticity is based on language and culture. Cornishness predates it. Mudhook is well known for his ill researched waffle. Oxford University scientisys, sponsored by the Wellcome Trust are likely to be far more scientifically reliable. But 'one and all' are welcome to join us Cornish and are free legally to declare themselves as such. Kernow bys vyken!

• KernowGB  |  November 19 2012, 12:37PM

@JJLee (re Monday, November 19 2012, 12:21PM) If your quote is a truism, then what is it that is making you so miserable? It sounds from your text that you still have a long way to go.

• PaddyTrembath  |  November 19 2012, 1:11PM

JJLee, I think your problem lies ion not knowing what a "Celt" is!

• KernowGB  |  November 19 2012, 1:49PM

@PaddyTrembath (re Monday, November 19 2012, 1:11PM) Or a "Briton", come to that!!!!!!

• JJLee  |  November 19 2012, 1:54PM

As I said a nationalist trait when trapped tries mockery lamers, Kernowgb walked straight into that.

• KernowGB  |  November 19 2012, 2:18PM

@JJLee And where does any of your own rhetoric, from any of your above posts, fit into the scheme of things? You have not responded to my original, or anyone else's, post with anything other invective, insult and mockery in order NOT TO RESPOND. Respond properly and positively justify your beliefs. What you cannot seem to get your head around is one culture is based on 'square pegs', but the other (invariably the dominant) culture is quite deliberately a 'round-hole' culture. It is truly that simple, where the first culture is coerced into removing its corners to fit with the majority. This puts a completely meaningful connotation on 'cornerstone' as being of "prime importance".

• PaddyTrembath  |  November 19 2012, 2:31PM

JJLee, clearly you are highly educated and intelligent. bestowed with far greater knowledge than the simple lad that prostrates himself before you. I, therefore, beseech thee, share your knowledge, enlighten us, educate us as to what a "Celt" is, that we may move from our life of base ignorance, and come to the fold of glorious intelligence that you are the true master of. Or, was I right the first time.............................you don't know!

• Carvath  |  November 19 2012, 2:49PM

. :)

• KernowGB  |  November 19 2012, 4:01PM

Let me give my interpretation of what the opening topic statement means: 1 - "Our human occupying history thus began long before the arrival of Celtic-speaking migrants in Britain." --------------------------------------------- That is most likely to be true, but of what relevance is it and how would you use that information, with supporting evidence, in an argument or discussion to justify what was happening then, or, in modern times? In other words, what is its relevance to 'now'? No one that I am aware of, is denying the 'existence' of prehistory, which is largely unknown or esoteric. The opening use of "Our" is rather contentious and should be "The". The debate on when, and how, this island became "Celtic-speaking" is still open. 2 – "It is unacceptable to arbitrarily put the starting point of our story where it suits Cornish nationalist or Anglo-Saxon nationalist myths and politics." Why is it unacceptable? Is it arbitrary? As it stands the story of human movement, when unqualified, only serves to confuse the story of human movement of unidentified peoples' with the story of identified peoples. The rather nebulous concept of "our story" is not the same as "the story", "my story" or "anyone else's story", which may or may not interact with each other (positively or negatively). It seems to me to be a mischievous ploy to justify the status quo or recent 'political' attempts to foster 'one-nation' politics. 3 – "We should acknowledge all the long years of Britain's history." --------------------------------------------- Which is? When did it start? Who, in fact, is not doing so? Isn't it of more importance to concentrate on the things that directly affect us with which we may have some chance of influencing, because we are in a position to judge the rights and wrongs, within a contemporaneous, and relevant, socio-political context?

• JJLee  |  November 19 2012, 4:02PM

"NOT TO RESPOND. Respond properly and positively justify your beliefs." KernowGB A fact is a not a belief, what you have is a belief. I have seen nothing to counter the comment in the first post so the comment stands as do the childish nationalist comments which followed. All sadly reflecting what Cornish nationalism brings to Cornwall, you thought it clever to mock but I showed this is the level Cornish nationalists operate on. If you want to be treat like adults try acting like one. It was you who was caught mocking and failing to comment as always.

• KernowGB  |  November 19 2012, 5:39PM

@JJLee (re Monday, November 19 2012, 4:02PM) I am sure that it must be me, but I find it impossible to follow the logic of all of that. It seems like a blast from the past, and I know what your response will be, but I feel compelled to ask whether you are related to GravyDave? I shall, however, await your response to my post at (Monday, November 19 2012, 4:01PM), which obviously coincided with the timing of your own post. when you might justify your own 'opinions' and 'beliefs' as 'facts'. Perhaps you might also discuss, in detail, my above post at (Monday, November 19 2012, 11:31AM)?

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 19 2012, 6:09PM

Thankyou KernowGB. I now realise who 'JJLee' is - or rather who he was! Well spotted. His postings are not worth responding to. Just check the remaining posts made by others above which no longer make any sense really! Kernow bys vyken!

• Slimslad  |  November 19 2012, 7:26PM

Anything that knocks these DNA supremacists off their little pedestals is to be welcomed. "The Cornish and Welsh are the purest Britons"? "Purest"? Now where have we heard this before?

• Slimslad  |  November 19 2012, 7:33PM

It must be embarrassing to you both, Paddy and Mr P.? To have "patriots" whose views highlight the elitism that underlies "nationalism"?

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 19 2012, 7:47PM

They were the headlines in this very newspaper fishy. Don't like them? Then wind your neck in and post your trash somewhere else. The Welsh and Cornish are the purest Britons. Cornish and Welsh - not Germanic English. Off you go. Kernow bys vyken!

• Slimslad  |  November 19 2012, 8:26PM

Off we scuttle to the EHRC... LOL

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 19 2012, 8:51PM

Patriots do that sort of thing fishy. Beats acuttling to the Ship Society, eh? Kernow bys vyken!

• KernowGB  |  November 19 2012, 11:16PM

@JJLee Further to KernowGB - ( Monday, November 19 2012, 4:01PM) "Let me give my interpretation of what the opening topic statement means: 1 - "Our human occupying history thus began long before the arrival of Celtic-speaking migrants in Britain." -------------------------------------------------------------- Do the Celts exist? : http://tinyurl.com/d62ydse The embedded link at the bottom of the article should also be visited and read!

• CallingtonFox  |  November 19 2012, 11:39PM

Here is another link offering another perspective: http://tinyurl.com/3cu9qu

• Carvath  |  November 20 2012, 1:07AM

The term Celtic is used in the modern sense to describe the people who populated the west coast of the British Isles after the last ice age, emanating from northern Iberia. Brythonic (Britonnic) Celtic describes the Cornish, Welsh and Breton languages of which the place names of each of the 3 places are remarkably similar and different to those of the rest of the British Isles. The other Celtic branch of the language is Goidelic (Gaelic) and represents Scotland, Ireland and Man. Place names within those 3 are similar and show some similarity to Brythonic areas and are again quite different from Anglo-Saxon names. Features like rivers that were named previously to Anglo-Saxon times have Celtic origins and are scattered throughout what is now England eg. Thames and Dover. Brythonic Celtic is set indelibly in our place names, hence the loose term Celtic is applied to Cornwall: it's what we have in writing. Nos da!

• JJLee  |  November 20 2012, 7:19AM

I see a failure by the usual suspects to read the topic and post comment on topic, no surprise to anyone that

• PaddyTrembath  |  November 20 2012, 8:37AM

JJLee, first we need to know the terms of reference. We need to know what you think the term/word "Celt" means. For example, your OP refers to "Celtic speaking migrants", as if there were a replacement of some or all of the original inhabitants by a different group of people. Whereas there is also the opinion that there was no significant movement of peoples, between the initial inhabitation following the last Ice Age and the arrival of the Romans, and the "Celts" were that group of people who spoke the same, or very similar, language to their trading partners, with whom they shared and exchanged not only goods, but ideas as well. Even the "experts" disagree, so what is your definition? Do you actually have one?

• JJLee  |  November 20 2012, 8:42AM

For those unable to track the significance of this, let me expand. SOME Cornish nationalists wish to portrait the Cornish as an ancient and exclusive separate race which has never integrated with the British\English, some of the comments now removed went along the lines of pure Celtic genes; of course we all know this to be all rubbish. When the Celts arrived the British\English were already established. If you opt to use British or English it does not matter as both came along later, the main point is the islands were already populated, what they want to portrait as Cornish is actually serious of tribes pushed from throughout the west country, made up of whoever was around at the time from the entire west country. These were pushed across the Tamar to join a very small tribe called the Cornovii and outpost of the Cornovii from the midlands. It is true to say when the tribes were pushed down into Cornwall they had a large number of Celts, but not exclusive and certainly not all from west of the Tamar or from the Cornovii tribe as all the evidence suggest the Cadbury-Congresbury fortification is the only major fortification in Wales and "Dumnonia to have produced reasonable evidence for continuous occupation from the 3rd century to the sixth.

• Tstrunk  |  November 20 2012, 8:44AM

How does this fit with the romantic ideology of people in this part of the world who claim Cornwall is Celtic? "These reveal a mosaic of named peoples (Trinovantes, Silures, Cornovii, Selgovae, etc), but there is little sign such groups had any sense of collective identity any more than the islanders of AD 1000 all considered themselves 'Britons" "However, there is one thing that the Romans, modern archaeologists and the Iron Age islanders themselves would all agree on: they were not Celts. This was an invention of the 18th century; the name was not used earlier. The idea came from the discovery around 1700 that the non-English island tongues relate to that of the ancient continental Gauls, who really were called Celts. This ancient continental ethnic label was applied to the wider family of languages. But 'Celtic' was soon extended to describe insular monuments, art, culture and peoples, ancient and modern: island 'Celtic' identity was born, like Britishness, in the 18th century."

• JJLee  |  November 20 2012, 9:07AM

Valid point Tstrunk, I think it is more of a cultural identity than a racial one in use in Cornwall 2012. I personally see nothing wrong with having a local unique identity for fun, but not for separatism, I am not even sure the Celtic theme is as strong as some would like us to believe, perhaps down in the remotes of St Just where they fight over flags but not the rest of Cornwall. Great comment I need to go away and do some research on the points you raise, great to finally read some sensible comments moving things forward

• Gurnards_Head  |  November 20 2012, 10:01AM

A local identity for FUN!!!???... I have always regarded it it as a commercial tool... a unique selling point to capitalise on our past to improve our future prospects by adding value to the things we produce under the auspices of our uniquely powerful Cornish brand which is highly regarded and instantly recognisable elsewhere.

• JJLee  |  November 20 2012, 10:22AM

I think you have your brands mixed up. As you seem to be confusing the Cornish with the smurfs GH. If works for you then great

• Gurnards_Head  |  November 20 2012, 1:06PM

Were I of a less cussed nature I would Nno doubt wilt and defer to your obviously (in your dreams pard) superior anglophile knowlege and intellct JJL. The Smurfs? interesting comparison... who were they... where are they now... little purple people... an artificial construct intended to be a brand... a passing silly fad that has faded away as quickly as it arrived... mere ephemera. Cornwall has the potential to add significant valueto its predominantly food produce be it vegetable from our fields or animal from both fields and seas, produced that is sought after, commands premium prices due to its quality and provenance creating significant employment and prosperity in the process. This is not "fun" it is a deadly serious affair involving highly professional diverse businesses that now form the backbone of our changing economy under the increasingly significant auspices of brand Cornwall which is totally unique being the common property of the people of Cornwall. This renaissance of optimism becomes an essential precursor to tourism more particularly the high spend sector catering for those who enjoy both our food and gloriously unique scenery which has been created to a large degree by the food production sector in the shape of historic field patterns and fishing ports which they come to enjoy. " I would not denigrate the following examples of this by labelling them as "fun based" e.g. St Austell Brewery, Skinners, Sharps, Camel Valley Wines, Healeys Cyder, St Merryn Meats, Robert Trevarthen, JV Richards, Matthew Stevens, Wing of St Mawes, Falfish, Ocean Fish, Porthilly Oysters, Fowey River Mussels, Cornish Sea Salt, SEF Produce, Rowe Farms, Riviera Produce, FG Pryor and Sons, Conway Bailey Transport, R&R Transport, Westfield Transport. This by no means exhaustive list of those involved in primary food prduction while by no stretch of the imagination is complimented by numerous processors who add value such as pasty producers, bakers etc. Then we have the Alladins cave of affordable eateries that trade off the back of this fantastic infrastructure like the Gurnards Head, Tolcrne Inn, Steins, Sams, The Nare , Trengilly Wartha, Driftwood Spars etc etc and so on.

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 20 2012, 2:23PM

I was told by an Oxford scientist sponsored by the Wellcome Trust that my DNA is not that of an Anglo Saxon or Englishman but that of an original Briton. That my closest genetic relatives on Britain lays on the west coast of Wales. I am Cornish. This is Cornwall. BUT, if anyone declares themselves Cornish by National Identity, then they are welcome. Additionally, because I, and indeed my ancestors, spoke a certain language, notable Brythonic Celtic Cornish, and they followed the culture of the Celts, then they were propbably Celts, rather like I am. Cornish, Celtic, of Britain and European, in that order and no one can legally say any different! To say this is my absolute right in law. Kernow bys vyken!

• Tstrunk  |  November 20 2012, 3:13PM

"Cornish, Celtic, of Britain! What is the criteria for joing this organisation? Do you have to have a blood test to see if you pass the test?

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 20 2012, 3:51PM

@ Tstrunk What organisation? But to be Cornish, Celtic, of Britain and European very possibly so, but a more certain requirement is to have a brain. Kernow bys vyken!

• Tstrunk  |  November 20 2012, 8:49PM

Lol, good reply Truro_Kernow and this sounds very, very dodgy. But reading the seriousness of some of your more thought out posts I suspect your suffering with pre-senile dementia related to Alzheimers. Surprised you haven't donate your brain to medical science. Lol I love u man!

• KernowGB  |  November 20 2012, 10:29PM

@Tstrunk (re Tuesday, November 20 2012, 3:13PM) To believe in the power and value of Cornish history and culture with the will to defend and promote it rather than be a part of its destruction and all that such an evil EIS agenda means. These links provide examples of the evolution of Cornish history and culture, which could do with bringing up to date to catch up with recent events but, nevertheless, still of subliminal significance to understanding "Cornishness" for the naysayers. https://eric.exeter.ac.uk/repository/bitstream/handle/10036/19179/OnbeingaCornishcelt.pdf?sequence=1 http://tinyurl.com/bx5scqr .

• Slimslad  |  November 20 2012, 11:02PM

"What is the criteria for joing this organisation? Do you have to have a blood test to see if you pass the test?" What organisation? But to be Cornish, Celtic, of Britain and European very possibly so, but a more certain requirement is to have a brain. A blood test to be "Cornish"?

• CallingtonFox  |  November 20 2012, 11:15PM

With respect, KernowGB, where is the impartiality of the author of that article? He is hardly likely to say "I agree with other academics, we really do not have any exact proof of who the Celts were", is he?

• Tstrunk  |  November 21 2012, 12:05AM

History, culture and the new past...... What would you add to the "History and Culture"? And what wouldn't be included?

• JJLee  |  November 21 2012, 7:51AM

The lack of creditability you bring to forums KernowGB. With extremist mantras and divisive agendas always leaves you unable to promote any form of Cornishness. The Cornishness you seek to promote along with Paddy and team Kernow is one akin to No blacks, No Irish and No dogs and should always be refuted by anyone with any form of decency to man-kind and its future. The Cornish are English\British and have never shown anything other than solidarity with the rest of England, just because you and very small amount of others disagree does not amount to you being able to impose your views as being Cornish

• Carvath  |  November 21 2012, 9:49AM

... :-)

• KernowGB  |  November 21 2012, 11:42AM

by CallingtonFox - Tuesday, November 20 2012, 11:15PM "With respect, KernowGB, where is the impartiality of the author of that article? He is hardly likely to say "I agree with other academics, we really do not have any exact proof of who the Celts were", is he?" --------------------------------------------------------------------- Also with respect: Dr Bernard Deacon is a professional academic who works within the rather closed shop of the academic elite and will almost certainly be able to hold is own against the best. If you wish to bring "impartiality" into the frame, then you must also include 'historically' all those academics (invariably English) that have 'failed' to address the issues of Cornwall and the Cornish people and which have left gaping holes in investigating primary sources that are now becoming visible to the critical analysis of more 'focussed' historians (not only Cornish) and the more aggressive amateur who is fed up to the back teeth with the continued misrepresentation of Cornwall and the Cornish people and our constitution. Whatever your view of the latter, it has been the only thing that has forced 'the elite' to go that extra mile - still a way to go, but it is unstoppable! ============================= by Tstrunk - Wednesday, November 21 2012, 12:05AM "History, culture and the new past...... What would you add to the "History and Culture"? And what wouldn't be included?" --------------------------------------------------------------------- Read those papers! On a personal level: Everything that I say or do is to pursue and further the awareness of, and participation in, 'Cornish' culture. Isn't that what 'the Cornish' people should do - despite the external pressures to lead us into the paths of temptation and evil? =========================== by JJLee - Wednesday, November 21 2012, 7:51AM "The lack of creditability you bring to forums KernowGB. With extremist mantras and divisive agendas always leaves you unable to promote any form of Cornishness. The Cornishness you seek to promote along with Paddy and team Kernow is one akin to No blacks, No Irish and No dogs and should always be refuted by anyone with any form of decency to man-kind and its future. The Cornish are English\British and have never shown anything other than solidarity with the rest of England, just because you and very small amount of others disagree does not amount to you being able to impose your views as being Cornish" -------------------------------------------------------------- YOUR POST IS REALLY JUST MORE OF THE SAME, NOTABLY UNSUBSTANTIATED, GOBBEDLY**** AND AN ATTEMPT AT STEREOTYPING. I hope that you do not consider yourself to be one of those "decent" men, especially with your immediate follow-on comment. Whether one is Cornish, or not, has no bearing on cooperation between peoples. If that is how your mind works, then that solely is down to you, my ansum! As to imposing views: That invariably comes from those having positions of power or 'imagined' superiority. I write, but you do not have to read it. You state, but again unqualified, that I am one of a "small amount of others". Doesn't that indicate that it is you who are personally 'choosing' to be imposed (sic) upon?

• Tstrunk  |  November 21 2012, 12:03PM

"Everything that I say or do is to pursue and further the awareness of, and participation in, 'Cornish' culture. Isn't that what 'the Cornish' people should do " That much is clear, I have no say in what you choose to do in life. What would you add to the "History and Culture"? And what wouldn't be included? You haven't answered these questions. "temptation and evil?" What do you mean?

• JJLee  |  November 21 2012, 12:47PM

No, because I do not see you as a threat to anything or me, but that does not stop me stating the obvious and adding a little realism to your faux Celtic material and ensuring everyone is aware of the clique you operate. I bet it eats you from the inside that you are having to face the truth and account for your peculiar beliefs and fanatical theories, often you have resorted to removing any comment which stands up to you, not any more. People stand up to you to prevent the young from being perverted by the falsehoods you spread and fictitious theories, the allowance of that makes these far better forums than the ones you are used to controlling. You want to come to forums and spread falsehoods then be prepared to be corrected. Personally I grow bored of your tedium and avoidance of the truth opting to use mockery where knowledge is lacking, this thread perfectly demonstrates the false history of Cornwall being a standalone Celtic state since man walked these shores, in fact it shows the Celts are a work of fiction in relation to those who claim Cornish Celtic roots, it also shows there is no uniqueness in Cornish bloodline we are all British mongrels, live with it. We are English people living in a county called Cornwall. If you want to debate otherwise then go for it, but please do not use the word Cornish as you are not Cornish as the majority understand the word.

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 21 2012, 1:41PM

Cornish, probablt a Celt, of Britain and European in that order and by results of a DNA test I submitted to, by personal choice and all legally allowed. Not English. Kernow bys vyken!

• KernowGB  |  November 21 2012, 8:40PM

@Tstrunk (re Wednesday, November 21 2012, 12:03PM) Tut! Tut! You really have not been concentrating, have you? --------------------------------------------- ======================== @JJLee (re Wednesday, November 21 2012, 12:47PM) "often you have resorted to removing any comment which stands up to you," ------------------------------------------------- Have I? Nah! When have I ever done that, then? More importantly: How do you know that? I happen to believe that whatever is said, that it is best left there for others to judge. I would only ever 'report' that which comes across as psychotic behaviour, or unfortunately 'duplicated' posts. 'Silly' and 'gobbeldy****' are quite OK! I bet, in fact I know, that you are incapable of substantiating any single part of your post. I am, however, gratified to note your mind-blowing observation that you, as you put it, "do not see you as a threat to anything or me." Why then, get so excited?

• Tstrunk  |  November 21 2012, 10:05PM

"Tut! Tut! You really have not been concentrating, have you?" Now, now KGB, none of that please. You make some good points. It's all about strivers, not duckers and divers Or Niether have you. "These links provide examples of the evolution of Cornish history and culture, which could do with bringing up to date to catch up with recent events" What would you add to the "History and Culture"? You haven't answered that questions.

• CallingtonFox  |  November 21 2012, 10:25PM

by KernowGB Wednesday, November 21 2012, 11:42AM "Also with respect: Dr Bernard Deacon is a professional academic who works within the rather closed shop of the academic elite and will almost certainly be able to hold is own against the best. If you wish to bring "impartiality" into the frame, then you must also include 'historically' all those academics (invariably English) that have 'failed' to address the issues of Cornwall and the Cornish people and which have left gaping holes in investigating primary sources that are now becoming visible to the critical analysis of more 'focussed' historians (not only Cornish) and the more aggressive amateur who is fed up to the back teeth with the continued misrepresentation of Cornwall and the Cornish people and our constitution. Whatever your view of the latter, it has been the only thing that has forced 'the elite' to go that extra mile - still a way to go, but it is unstoppable!" It does not matter where he works, what matters is whether he is impartial or not regarding that subject. I am aware that history is often being revisited, which is of course the right thing to do when new information arises but is the Celtic issue being revisited to make things 'fit' for the sake of neo-Celts? I also wish to know which historians, are or have been impartial regarding studying who were and are, the so called Celts. What need would they have to misrepresent history?

• Tstrunk  |  November 21 2012, 11:10PM

Callingtonfox, I guess some of your point would be that it is a case of history told in some way or another by some in Cornwall is a type 'cultural pluralism'. Shouldn't we be hearing about things that are of a British history here in Cornwall but more often there is an attempt to tell a story based on 'look everything that ever happen in Cornwall was completely nothing to do the British/English idea.

• polgooth  |  November 22 2012, 1:25AM

JJLee - an interesting discussion with the expected differing thoughts. A couple of quick thoughts. If you doubt Celtic claims and origins then surely this is not restricted to Kernow but the other proclaimed Celtic fringes as well ? Do you question and doubt that Scotland, Ireland and Wales have separate identities and culture ? brgds. dd

• JJLee  |  November 22 2012, 7:28AM

polgooth For a start I am not the author I am just highlighting some intriguing academic observations based on available facts, facts which do appear to confirm the fact the Celtic speakers (note speakers) were not here for as long as many nationalists proclaim they have been and it would not take a Genius to see this fact would be the same for Scotland and Wales, Ireland is another place altogether and one I spend little time thinking about. For me the Celtic badge is very much a separatist movement which is one I oppose, mainly due to it being based on a lie and hate, I have no issue due to Cornwall's isolation for many centuries to claim we in Cornwall are unique but not that we are not English which again is based on a lie and hate.

• H_Trevorrow  |  November 22 2012, 1:47PM

Anyone with an iq larger than thier shoe size can work out that they are not part of a pure breed of some ancient tribe. It is only very delusional people who are gullible enough to follow this myth. The madness of those that peddle these foolish notions is doubly confounded when you take a peek at thier degenerative political agenda which itself boarders on outright lunacy.

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 22 2012, 4:00PM

What I think is truly disgusting 'H_Trevorrow' is that you have assumed a Cornish name to give your posts some credibility whilst the genuine Trevorrow family, some of whom I know, are disgusted. That is truly something to be ashamed of not some of us proudly informing that we participated in a Wellcome Trust sponsored study by Oxford University scientists the result of which was being informed that many of us, myself included, had very unique and non-English DNA. Only 1% of mine was from elsewhere, the Meditteranean region to be specific. I was also told that my closest genetic relatives were on the west coast of Wales. I am not English, I am Cornish, probably with Celtic influence because I and my ancestors speak the Brythonic Celtic language of Cornish, of Britain and European. That is a right I have enshrined in law and I am allowed to have that recorded officially anywhere. Kernow bys vyken!

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 22 2012, 4:06PM

I might also add that in addition to speaking and writing in Cornish, I am also fluent in English (and another language) and that subsequently, I am able to write and spell in your mother tongue rather well! If you wish to view 'degenerative nationalism' practised by those whose 'IQ matches their shoe size' I suggest you pop over the border, unless you are already there of course, and into a doubtless packed meeting of the BNP, EDL or UKIP. Kernow bys vyken!

• H_Trevorrow  |  November 22 2012, 5:04PM

non english dna?????....oh dear! chorttle chorttle

• Truro_Kernow  |  November 22 2012, 5:50PM

'H_Trevorrow' - oh dear! Chortle, chortle! (PS. note correct spelling of 'chortle' English Trevorrow!) Kernow bys vyken!

• KernowGB  |  November 23 2012, 10:59PM

@Tstrunk (re Wednesday, November 21 2012, 10:05PM) The comment regarding 'up to date' was only to record that I was aware that the links refer to things that were, circa 2003 and 2008, which has nothing to do with what I would personally add to history and culture. If you had understood my comment, that you quoted, in your post of Wednesday, November 21 2012, 12:03PM., you would note that I explained exactly what I add, hopefully, to Cornish history and culture, which I assume rightly, or wrongly, is the duty of us all. ================================= @CallingtonFox (re Wednesday, November 21 2012, 10:25PM) Of course it matters where he works. It is an academic paper, as the link confirms and is therefore available for scrutiny by his peers. You seem to presume that you sit in judgement of those whose academic writing you do not agee with, but do not apply the same critique to those that you do agree with. Your use of the phrase "so called Celts" indicates your prejudment (to put it kindly) of an issue that you have only ever shown to be something that historians have yet to reach agreement on. In the meantime history has moved on. A Time Team TV special "Skulls, Swords and Stronholds" today should be of interest and can be found on youtube here: -- http://tinyurl.com/cn5zjqm -- I wish to say here that I have responded to your posts on this thread. I had, last week, also responded (a two post response) to your posting on another thread, but some moron reported it, because that person was 'clever' enough (sic) to understand a comment that I made about "off-topic strands", whilst being seemingly oblivious to the fact that the majority of posts on that particular thread were also off-topic, showing that the 'reporting' was deliberately vindictive to prevent my reply being available to view. The consequence of all this to-ing and fro-ing with the mods (over the past week) is that I shall only now respond to outstanding thread posts in reply to my posts to date and withdraw from the tic forum. It is conceivable that just discussing this, in the previous paragraph, will result in a ban. However, if possible, I shall honour the outstanding commitment to respond to you on the other thread.

• CallingtonFox  |  November 23 2012, 11:23PM

KernowGB, firstly, I wondered why your posts had vanished. I had already copied them and was going to respond. If they were removed through being 'off topic' then mine should also have been removed, sad, very sad. Secondly, I do not sit in judgement of anybody, I only ask questions of ALL, and would appreciate that fact being born in mind. Thirdly, I used the term 'so called Celts' because many use the description as a means of putting themselves on a higher ground, but as it is a relatively modern description for a whole range of historical travellers and settlers it is being used in false ways and for the wrong reasons. One of my points has been that 'Celt, Celts, Celtic' are descriptions that have no validity when claims of nationhood and certain 'rights' are being made.

• Tstrunk  |  November 24 2012, 11:35AM

Ref, by KernowGBFriday, November 23 2012, 10:59PM You are very passionate about Cornwall and I said before that is your choice. I note your subject is about a national culture and with that inherently a cultural pluralism exists, you set out to maintain cultural differences. I point out that many links/sites/posts etc from the likes of yourself and the Cornish nationalist types never really mention the biggest event culturally in inCornwall i.e. 'Run To The Sun' or the many other Culture events that happen in Cornwall, if you to want to tell the true story then there are many other things you could add, it is upto, however you can not blame me or others for asking why you choose to write a Cornwall the way you see it and one that is not how is or has been. We live a in pretty free UK and if enough people feel a change is needed then it happens, don't agree? look at Wales and Scotland. Good luck on that one. In this link http://tinyurl.com/bx5scqr that you posted it states, "The United Kingdom does not have a written constitution" We do have a constitution though, let me explain. You have the right to vote and with that right you then acquire a constitution responsibility to vote/register to vote. What I am putting across here is although you can not go to a shop and buy a copy of our constitution like you can in say Germany or the USA that doesn't mean we haven't one. And the main principles of the unwritten constitution are 'Separation of power' 'Rule of law' and 'Supremacy of Pariament' you can live in the past but tell truth, please.

• JJLee  |  November 29 2012, 7:57AM

You seemed like such a sensible chap before you claimed 'Run To the Sun' was Cornwall's biggest cultural event. I wish whoever keeps removing comments would stop it; they are just words and cannot hurt anyone. This site is plagued by people trying to control rather than express an opinion or personal thoughts; nothing said on this forum is ever going to change anything. It's about time people saw that the 10 people that read this comments, mostly seemed concerned with one upmanship rather than understanding KGB has very fixed thoughts and an intolerance of anyone who challenges those fixed opinions. As has been said before Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence.

• Tstrunk  |  February 04 2013, 12:04PM

'Run To the Sun', isn't the biggest cultural event in Cornwall? Which is the biggest then?

• Carvath  |  February 04 2013, 2:49PM

Gary again?

• Tstrunk  |  February 04 2013, 4:02PM

If anyone wants to read something from a troll, read the post above from Carvath.

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!