Login Register

Discussion

“Fortunately, more massive defence cuts are likely which makes it seem ever likely that the Malvinas will fall under the control of the Argentine people. An Argentinian says within 20 years. Let's hope so!

http://tinyurl.com/bblqs73

By AnGof2012 Posted: February 05, 2013

51 comments

51 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • PaddyTrembath  |  February 06 2013, 1:18AM

The one good thing that Maggie did, in my opinion, was to defend the right of the people of the the Falkland Isles to be what they choose to be. Whatever her reasons for doing it, it was the right thing to do. As I understand it, the islands were unoccupied when British settlers moved in, and had belonged to the Spanish before that in any case. If I am wrong, I am sure that someone will correct me. As a person who strongly believes in the right of self determination, I find the moves made by the Argentinians to annex the islands to be reprehensible. If the islanders wish to be British, and Britain is prepared to accept them as such, then that is what they should be, if they choose to be Argentinian, and Argentine is prepared to accept them, then that is what they should be. It is up to them.

• CallingtonFox  |  February 06 2013, 7:14AM

Thank you, Paddy. Sadly Angof is exactly the sort of nationalist you will have to contend with should you wish to have any chance of realizing your desires. That is one thing I have been trying to point out to you; there are myriad versions of just what a 'nation' means to people.

• Tolgus  |  February 06 2013, 8:10AM

A "potted history" of the Falklands. http://tinyurl.com/beqa3cv I find "AnGof2012"'s assertion assertion confusing: "More massive defence cuts are likely which makes it seem ever likely that the Malvinas will fall under the control of the Argentine people. The Falklands Islands will be under Argentinian control within 20 years, the South American country's foreign minister, Héctor Timerman, has said in an interview with the Guardian. Visiting London for the first time, he ruled out a military solution to the 130-year-old sovereignty dispute" "He ruled out a military solution", which must come as a relief to those conscripted to the Argentinian military.

• Chopper8  |  February 06 2013, 8:29AM

Good post Paddy, I wholly concur. Argentina didn't even exist as a sovereign nation when Britain first settled the Falklands so by that rationale Argentina belongs to the native Americans who'd occupied the territory for the previous millenia. Argentina's main claim to ownership seems to be based on the fact that they are closer to the islands than the UK, but if we're going to determine territorial integrity solely on distance then there's going to be an awful lot of busy cartographers. Channel Island's anybody?

• Chopper8  |  February 06 2013, 8:41AM

by AnGof2012Tuesday, February 05 2013, 11:44PM "The Malvinas were occupied territory'' No they weren't. Please get your facts straight before you post otherwise you look as ignorant as the trolls that lurk here. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if you aren't the counterpoint to some of the anti-Cornish trolls and are all part of a not so subtle plan by Northcliffe to generate more traffic for this site.

• Carvath  |  February 06 2013, 8:58AM

Future defence cuts should not affect the Falklands situation, which is now militarily supported better than ever. Argentina's claim on the islands is weak to say the least as pointed out by Chopper8 above. I concur with Paddy that retaking the Falklands was the only thing that Thatcher did of any good, IMO. The people of the Falklands, who should have the final say, are staunchly behind Britain's role with the islands. The main problem that Argentina can cause is with countries that can "service" or be of use to the islands like Brazil, Chile aUruguayuay. Ultimately the US may not like irritation in its sphere of influence (backyard) also. Angof, I would have thought any pro-Cornish organisation would support the wishes of the Falklanders. You do seem to post extreme topics that detract from Cornwall's main problems.

• Carvath  |  February 06 2013, 9:00AM

...should read Uruguay...

• Taxman100  |  February 06 2013, 9:32AM

Most Cornish nationalists are decent people who hold their own firmly held views - and although I do not subscribe to their various mantra it is their right to hold them. However, the likes of AnGof set the Cornish nationalist cause back every time he puts pen to paper, no matter which Alias he uses! Perhaps, if he had served in the Falklands in 1982 he would hold a different opinion.

• PaddyTrembath  |  February 06 2013, 11:15AM

CallingtonFox wrote:- "Thank you, Paddy. Sadly Angof is exactly the sort of nationalist you will have to contend with should you wish to have any chance of realizing your desires. That is one thing I have been trying to point out to you; there are myriad versions of just what a 'nation' means to people." Are the opinions posted by Angof2012 the problem, or the reaction? For example, look at the posts made yesterday by Skymanandy, I can show you much worse as well, I have been targeted by such "people" in the past. Kick a man long enough and sooner or later he will kick back. You believe that it is nationalism that is the problem, I could sat that I believe that it is those who wish to maintain the status quo that are the problem. But the problem is that people are people. Stop making the mistake of picking on a trait of one person, who happens to hold an opinion you disagree with, and attempting to use it to prove your point. The traits you dislike, the traits you fear, and attribute to nationalism, are present throughout all walks of life, all opinions, all political beliefs, even all religions, everywhere.

• AnGof2012  |  February 06 2013, 11:25AM

Money spent on weapons is money criminally used. There can be no justification for killing not even by those employed by the state. The real heroes retired colonel are those who refuse to bear arms against their fellow man. You don't serve Mr retired Colonel, you killed. As for Maggie Thatcher, she did more to destroy in her terms as Prime Minister than anyone else. She probably also did more to encourage the Scots to go for freedom than any other so there is an upside. I am delighted that more defence cuts are likely. That will take away Westminster's ability to stick its unwanted nose into other peoples' affairs. It will teach the English that their arrogant ways are no longer tolerated. The money saved will be better spent on proper things like jobs, health, the elderly and teaching Cornish children their own history. Pretending that they have any right to hold an island just off the coast of South America gives the English a feeling they still have an Empire. The whole lot should be placed into the hands of the UN. Cornwall next to England just like Wales. Cornish not English.

• CallingtonFox  |  February 06 2013, 11:26AM

I think you are accusing me of far too much there, Paddy. I have never tarred you all with the same brush and never picked on one 'anything' to 'prove my point'. I think you should have a read of all my posts on this subject before attacking me again.

• everywhere  |  February 06 2013, 12:08PM

'Scuse me,where are the Falklands?..somewhere off Scotland are they?..are their nearest neighbours Gibraltar??...Talk about the sun setting on empire Ha Ha it's rib cracking!!!..I would say well below the Horizen...Wait,whats this i read, two new aircraft carriers..wave those union flags boys, stick land of hope and curry on the gramaphone and watch the world tremble...shame on any Cornishman for defending British imperialism....

• AnGof2012  |  February 06 2013, 12:26PM

A truly wonderful organisation: http://tinyurl.com/5mxzpd The English might be warmongers. The Cornish are not. We know better. The new aircraft carriers will probably never see service hopefully. Along with nuclear weapons they are relics. It is likely they will be sold off. Well said 'everywhere'. Cornwall was England's first colony. Their imperialism needs to be rejected.

• PaddyTrembath  |  February 06 2013, 1:13PM

Shame on any Cornishman for denying anyone the right to self determination. This is not a case of imperialism, it is a case that those people living on the Falkland Islands are, and wish to be British, not Argentinian. I am Cornish, and wish to remain Cornish, not English. Same question, should have the same answer. CallingtonFox, I was not attacking you, I was just trying to point out that there are "dangerous" people in all walks of life, all beliefs, all political opinions, it is not just Nationalism that has them, and is not a valid reason to dismiss nationalism out of hand.

• CallingtonFox  |  February 06 2013, 1:51PM

Ok Paddy, fair enough. I would like to point out though that I have not dismissed nationalism 'out of hand', I have aired my views regarding its very real dangers and I stick by those. Nationalism, by its very nature, is divisive; that might not matter when it comes to a bit of 'national pride' maybe, and it is natural for people to have 'national pride', we all need to 'belong'; but it is all too easy to take that pride too far and slide into intolerance and hatred. Also the narrower the band of belonging we have will lead to lack of opportunity of diversity and is a key factor of intolerance and hatred.

• everywhere  |  February 06 2013, 2:42PM

Cornish not English you say...But you certainly come over like a true blue Englishman Paddy...So if you want to discuss the rights of nations to self determination...let's start with do the people of the Falklands constitute a nation??...No they dont!!!...as a people do they seek self determination??...No they dont!!!...So it comes down to the fact that they are settlers only!!...squatting on an island some five hundred miles off the South American coast...they have no interest in becoming an independent people at all..Just some vague notion of Britishness..So what are we left with??...your types waving union flags...

• youngcornwall  |  February 06 2013, 2:49PM

by CallingtonFox "I would like to point out though that I have not dismissed nationalism 'out of hand', I have aired my views regarding its very real dangers and I stick by those." You are right being a little tolerant with the nats on here CF because this is the only platform they have, you will soon come to realise this when they turn nearly every topic around to discuss the rights and wrongs of Nationalism, and then before you know it, you are in the wrong for sticking up for your own views, because their kind of nationalism will not let them be wrong.

• everywhere  |  February 06 2013, 2:54PM

Callingtonfox....Nationalism by its very nature is divisive you say??...what do you advocate? abolishling the home countries?...should we all become English in these islands?..is that the cure?.Or do you advocate world government???

• Chopper8  |  February 06 2013, 3:10PM

''by Callington Fox; '' Also the narrower the band of belonging we have will lead to lack of opportunity of diversity and is a key factor of intolerance and hatred'' So what you appear to be saying is that by lumping disparate groups together under one all encompassing label - let's say, for example, ''English''- you reduce diversity, and that when a certain group - lets call them ''Cornish'' - object to that for the perfectly valid reason that they have their own 'label' recognised by law, the result can lead to intolerance and hatred? Isn't that what some here have been trying to get you to realise except you appear to be confusing cause and effect? Oh, I'd put the above 2 posters in a 'special' chat room of their own.(sigh)

• CallingtonFox  |  February 06 2013, 3:14PM

Thanks for the little rant, everywhere; yes, nationalism by its very nature is divisive (this very thread is helping to demonstrate that). As for the rest of your post, show me where you get those ideas from about me; show me where I have suggested any of those things.

• CallingtonFox  |  February 06 2013, 3:29PM

Hi, Chopper8. I need to clarify; I was suggesting that the narrower the band of people who we share our lives with and the narrower our society is at its idealistic base, the fewer opportunities there will be to diversify. If you are still unsure what the heck I am on about then I will be happy to try again. I agree with you about those two posters (at least I assume we are on the same page regarding who they are).

• Taxman100  |  February 06 2013, 3:33PM

PaddyTrembath "I am Cornish, and wish to remain Cornish, not English. Same question, should have the same answer". Not quite. I am a Cornishman, living in Cornwall, and I wish to remain English. Currently, Cornwall is part of England and if you want that situation to change then it must be through the ballot box, and not by attempting to change matters by the back door use of the European courts. Cornwall is not a Nation. Currently, Cornish Nationalists are probably capable of gaining 4% of the total Cornish vote. The fact we disagree on many, many matters indicates we already have significant 'diversity'.

• Taxman100  |  February 06 2013, 3:34PM

PaddyTrembath "I am Cornish, and wish to remain Cornish, not English. Same question, should have the same answer". Not quite. I am a Cornishman, living in Cornwall, and I wish to remain English. Currently, Cornwall is part of England and if you want that situation to change then it must be through the ballot box, and not by attempting to change matters by the back door use of the European courts. Cornwall is not a Nation. Currently, Cornish Nationalists are probably capable of gaining 4% of the total Cornish vote. The fact we disagree on many, many matters indicates we already have significant 'diversity'.

• CallingtonFox  |  February 06 2013, 4:10PM

by youngcornwall Wednesday, February 06 2013, 2:49PM "You are right being a little tolerant with the nats on here CF because this is the only platform they have, you will soon come to realise this when they turn nearly every topic around to discuss the rights and wrongs of Nationalism, and then before you know it, you are in the wrong for sticking up for your own views, because their kind of nationalism will not let them be wrong." I will continue to be tolerant as I want to debate things properly. I know I come in strong sometimes, but I never intend to be rude or offensive unless somebody has been so to me. I also will not back down if I feel or know I am not being given satisfactory answers; I really do only want truth.

• PaddyTrembath  |  February 06 2013, 5:13PM

everywher, you can insult me all you want, it will change nothing. You are the one here being intolerant. Intolerant of the wishes of a group of people whose ancestors moved to an empty Island, and made their home there. Intolerant to a group of people who have chosen their nationality, British, (not English, Welsh, Scottish, or Cornish), and who are in danger of having that choice walked over and ignored, with an alien, to them, nationality imposed on them. As a Cornishman, a Nationalist, wishing, fighting, for a better deal for my Nation, my people, I can, in no way, do anything but support the Islanders in whatever they wish to be. It is their choice, not yours, not mine, and not that of Argentina, or anyone else. To be a Nationalist and not support their wishes, is to be a hypocrite.

• AnGof2012  |  February 07 2013, 12:03AM

Put the Malvinas under UN control. Spend money wasted on weapons of war and state recruited killers to a better use. http://tinyurl.com/5mxzpd Give us our freedom. You can't be Cornish and English. You can't be Scottish and English. You can't we Welsh and English. you can't be Irish and English. Cornish Patriots here: https://http://tinyurl.com/83l44n7 Take note, you are going to be hearing a lot more of them! Cornish not English. Cornwall next to England just like Wales.

• Carvath  |  February 07 2013, 7:53AM

Falkland Islanders and British by 100% choice.

• youngcornwall  |  February 07 2013, 9:28AM

"Falkland Islanders and British by 100% choice." And their choice to live there, if and when things get a little rough because they are not self sufficient, they should have thought of that beforehand, the same for those on the Isles of Scilly, OK when everything is running smoothly and the ferry and helicopters are in operation, when things don't go according to Their plan that is their problem not everybody else's. Give help and assistance in times of real trouble, otherwise they made their bed let them lie in it.

• Taxman100  |  February 07 2013, 9:38AM

AnGof. You make the mistake made by many students of the English language. You can be Cornish and English, thanks to a quite normal quirk contained within of our beautiful language. In general the suffix 'ish' only denotes where a person is from, and may (there's that word may again) in certain certain circumstances, and in modern English, denote country of origin; Scottish, English, Spanish. Until the late 19th Century the words, Kentish and Devonish (now a dreadful ale) were in common use. The latter died a natural death as it conflicted with a well know name which had approximately 30 different spellings. Then of course the suffix may be added to make the words Hellish and Devilish. Perhaps it's a little like the question, is it correct to say Dorset or Dorsetshire? Just to put you on the right track. I did not adopt the 'Jocks', the 'Jocks' adopted me - and I am quite content they introduced me to the Highlands, Robbie Burns the Scottish Bard, and the wee dram! Cornish, English and proud of the Union!

• Carvath  |  February 07 2013, 9:50AM

Sounds selfish YC from someone who purports to be religious.

• AnGof2012  |  February 07 2013, 10:08AM

You cannot be both. Cornish or English, you choose. The Scottish people will soon be leaving your awful and unnatural Union. The UK is dying. Visit any of your cities up in England to see that. Eire broke free. Next Scotland. Then Wales. Then our chance. Cornish and European. Cornwall next to England, just like Wales. Real patriots here: https://http://tinyurl.com/83l44n7 Real poppies here: http://tinyurl.com/5mxzpd

• Taxman100  |  February 07 2013, 10:42AM

AnGof. 1. I think it would be a very foolish man who would predict the outcome of the Scottish referendum. Since October 2012 the various polls have shown an average of 30% in support independence. Either way, it is for the Scottish people to decide, and I am sure they do not need your, or my advice, to make their decision. There is no significant independence movement in Wales - although, and rightly, devolution of powers would be a logical move. 2. For the reasons I previously stated I may, if I wish, be Cornish and English. What makes you so special you can tell others what they may, or may not, be? It strikes me you are out of tune with almost everyone and everything. Must be nice to be so popular? 3. Most people in the UK, no matter what their background, support and wear the the Red poppy with pride. The White Poppy organisation is financially insolvent. Should tell you something? Cornish, English and proud of the Union.

• youngcornwall  |  February 07 2013, 11:43AM

by Carvath "Sounds selfish YC from someone who purports to be religious. Give help and assistance in times of real trouble, otherwise they made their bed let them lie in it. Thought for today. You can have tons of religion without one ounce of Salvation.

• Tstrunk  |  February 07 2013, 12:13PM

Callingtonfox, "I will continue to be tolerant as I want to debate things properly." You made some great headway but once you started to expose the flaws by debating subjects like, the Cornish nation, Cornish language etc in this thread http://tinyurl.com/afjvwn9 you notice the trolls enter causing disruption and so it becomes game over. This is the normal pattern that follows any serious points made when questioning the idea of Cornish Nationalism. As lots of other threads suddenly turn up it is an orchestrated event design to avoid the debate. Play again and watch the name calling and the like after you start to question anything to do with the subject in your reasonable manner. If it is not you, it will be an attack on someone else thus causing chaos as you try to debate.

• AnGof2012  |  February 07 2013, 12:39PM

A few peaceful protesters, a few white poppies, a few placards 'colonel'. You at your concert this year? We might even meet? http://tinyurl.com/5mxzpd

• youngcornwall  |  February 07 2013, 1:16PM

"Play again and watch the name calling and the like" http://tinyurl.com/afjvwn9 There are some "Shady" customers on here and elsewhere that is a certain fact.

• Taxman100  |  February 07 2013, 3:08PM

Oh dear, AnGof is slipping. His abuse has fallen well short of his norm. It seems to me AnGof you have a serious psychological problem and need urgent medical attention. You mention the 'Hero's' of St. Just. I assume you mean those who stole the flag from the Church, intimidated the vicar, and was the incident reported in the national press as, "being carried out by thugs who ignored the sanctity of the Church". Some hero's! About as scary as Hal-an-Tow on Flora Day! Why do you think I have friends in the Legion in PZ, or attend a concert there? I am not a member of the Legion and do not live in PZ; although when at home I do go there quite frequently as I like the town. I hope your new bunch (all 5 of you) are better educated than the last - they couldn't even distinguish between a ladies hairdressers and a Bank - their leader also used the same alias as you! Was it you by any chance? By having a job I assume you mean being a left-wing Trades Unionist who helps to rid the county of much needed jobs. Cornish, English and proud of the Union

• youngcornwall  |  February 07 2013, 4:35PM

by Taxman100 "You mention the 'Hero's' of St. Just. I assume you mean those who stole the flag from the Church" "Hero's of St Just", not worth stooping down to their level Taxman, they wouldn't know the true "Hero's of St Just" if they stared them in the face, I have never yet met anyone from St Just who talk as soft as some of this lot, proud to be Cornish yes, aren't we all proud to be Cornish. Does anyone know from the names below who is related to Jethro the comedian? No I don't suppose you do. http://tinyurl.com/ap2vp86

• CallingtonFox  |  February 07 2013, 5:34PM

Tstrunk, yes, I was, vainly, hoping for people to pick at least some of the issues addressed in the articles and attempt to debate them.

• Tolgus  |  February 07 2013, 7:24PM

For the life of me, I cannot see the connection between "AnGof2012's most recent postings and the subject in question. Perhaps the lack of support for the views expressed by "him"(?) on the subject of the Falkland Islands has forced "him"(?), to change the subject, somewhat?

• AnGof2012  |  February 07 2013, 9:51PM

Well let's get it back on subject then. The Malvinas should be placed under UN control. Like the poster 'everywhere' I refuse to support any military action by the English system. I do not support killing and death unlike the English system which, let's face it, can no longer afford to wage war. Cornwall next to England just like Wales. Cornish not English.

• Tolgus  |  February 07 2013, 11:22PM

I do not support "killing", (although the military junta in Argentina, in the 80's?) In the spirit of honesty and transparency, "AnGof2012", I have reported some of the posts by you which I personally found offensive, in the fact that, in my opinion, you were being rude to individuals. "Old-fashioned" it may be, but, fortunately, in a democracy, that is my right. On a lighter note, It is also my right to try to equal the World record for the amount of commas in one paragraph.

• Tolgus  |  February 07 2013, 11:36PM

Just noticed the comment below from Angof2012: "I do not support killing and death unlike the English system which, let's face it, can no longer afford to wage war." The vast majority of us do not "support "killing", (I would hope), but "death" is something that needs no "support". Death has no "system", ("English" or otherwise.). Death is democratic, universal, a fact of life. I would also take issue with the "English system" that can "no longer afford to wage war". The poorest nations on the planet, (mostly located in the African sub-continent), can "still afford to make war", in my opinion, of course.

• AnGof2012  |  February 08 2013, 2:03AM

And following Maggie's pathetic attempt to win votes from the gullible English in 1982 when just earlier she was having her sleepy defence secretary cut military spending was reprehensible. Place the Malvinas under UN control.

• youngcornwall  |  February 08 2013, 10:00AM

What overshadowed the whole Falkland Island war was the sinking of the Belgrano, something that should have been avoided in my opinion with the unnecessary loss of so many lives. http://tinyurl.com/besxrm5 http://tinyurl.com/29uvw9n

• AnGof2012  |  February 08 2013, 10:56AM

Well said youngcornwall and for once I agree with you wholeheartedly. I am not a Christian, you are so you say. Therefore you must accept what your bible tells you. That to kill is wrong. There can be no justification for it at all.

• Taxman100  |  February 08 2013, 11:45AM

YC. Much has been said about the Belgrano affair. However, their own Admiral - after Leopoldo Galtieri was deposed - admitted the ship had posed a threat to the British fleet and that the British had taken the correct and logical action.

• youngcornwall  |  February 08 2013, 1:11PM

@Taxman100 Yes outside the 200 miles exclusion zone heading away from the Falklands, anything can be a threat if you think it is a threat. We have to face it Taxman Great Britain may be great but it is not that great that it cannot do anything wrong. Here is another that isn't so great. http://tinyurl.com/26hlc5 http://tinyurl.com/g3ede We have to face up to these atrocities.

• Taxman100  |  February 08 2013, 1:27PM

AnGof. 513460 number unknown. Does not appear in Army List. The number does however fit an American Soldier cited for bravery. AG. Still waiting!

• AnGof2012  |  February 08 2013, 1:27PM

The British Military should hand their heads in shame at the attrocities they have committed. All of them. It is good they are being drastically reduced. Christians should not accept killing of others for any reason. As a non Christian, I do not. To kill is to murder and that is the ultimate sin, is it not youngcornwall?

• Taxman100  |  February 08 2013, 1:31PM

YC. I have said many times before I did not, and still do not support the Governments reasons, or reasoning, for going to war in Iraq. Thankfully, I did not serve there - during the first war I was an MA in France, and during the second in Afghanistan.

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!