Login Register
 °

Discussion

“English Nationalism in Cornwall

Today, I have been carefully removing St George ‘England’ flag stickers which have been attached to signs in the Redruth area. These were placed over signs which advertised things of Cornish cultural interest, our mining heritage, Cornish language and so on.

This follows on from the English Defence League St George ‘England’ flag stickers which were unlawfully plastered over direction signs in Hayle, Redruth, Newquay and elsewhere.

It seems we have English Nationalists active in our Duchy.

I have reported all these unlawful postings to the various Council authorities who in turn are liaising with the police.

Similarly, heritage signage where the European Union regional funding logo appears has also been defaced and this has also been reported to the appropriate authorities. Cornwall has benefitted from being in Europe and the Cornish are an outward looking people who continue to walk the world as our ancestors did.

English nationalism is not welcome in Cornwall. We don’t need it or welcome it. We particularly don’t need it defacing our heritage signage where it is being used as a statement of superiority over the indigenous Cornish people who have their own rich heritage.”

By MapSerpren Posted: October 15, 2013

60 comments

60 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • Slimslad  |  October 15 2013, 4:55PM

What? No photos?

• MapSerpren  |  October 15 2013, 5:45PM

Yes. The gentleman from Cormac took some for supply to the police. Do you have any and if so, they can be supplied to the police via the Cornwall and Town Councils? I can happily refer them to you via this website if you wish or if you wish, direct to Cornwall and Devon Media who have been following this.

• MapSerpren  |  October 15 2013, 5:47PM

Incidentally, did you see the report in the West Briton two weeks ago and the later follow ups?

• AnBalores  |  October 15 2013, 7:11PM

I saw the article and pictures in the Cornishman, a sister paper to the West Briton. The letters which came in the following week were interesting and generally condemnatory. I think Tommy 'Robinson', or whichever name he is is using this week, defecting from the English Defence League to an Islamic think tank has raised the interest in English nationalism a little. English nationalism is extremely dangerous. It is based on racism. The Council have been cleaning up the last lot down my way. I trust we are not going to get another wave of this.

• TruroCornwall  |  October 15 2013, 11:28PM

........sounds like certain little Englanders......wish to force their ways on us again.......a bit like 'Big_Ger's' .........'repression'.......and 'hereandthere's'........'eradication'.......maybe even 'Taxman's' ......'mud huts..........it didn't work in their long lost Empire........it didn't work in Ireland.......it won't work in Scotland.......or Wales........and it won't work here..........when will certain English people....ever learn.......?.......if I see that 'symbol'........I too will remove it

• Slimslad  |  October 16 2013, 8:02AM

The presence of stickers with English flags on them does not mean that any "English Nationalists" are "lurking". These stickers show no links to the EDL, BNP, or any other neo-Nazi group. They are stickers, with a flag on them.

• PaddyTrembath  |  October 16 2013, 12:33PM

Slimslad, any evidence to back up your strange belief?

• TruroCornwall  |  October 16 2013, 2:31PM

Did you come all the way down........to take any photos.........'Slimslad'.........? I suppose.......these England flags and EDL posters are common..........where you live.....?

• TruroCornwall  |  October 16 2013, 2:31PM

Did you come all the way down........to take any photos.........'Slimslad'.........? I suppose.......these England flags and EDL posters are common..........where you live.....?

• Slimslad  |  October 16 2013, 4:35PM

Slimslad, any evidence to back up your strange belief?" Because there is no "evidence" to support that the EDL, BNP, etc, had anything to do with these "stickers".

• Slimslad  |  October 16 2013, 6:51PM

Slimslad, any evidence to back up your strange belief?" Not so "strange", Paddy. The website below is called "Anonymous" They have "outed" the members of the EDL. If you know how, you can check on my "strange belief" for yourself, whether Cornwall has an "English Nationalist problem". Or, (more likely), the author of this thread has added 2+2 and made it "legion". http://tinyurl.com/lu424kf

• Slimslad  |  October 16 2013, 9:00PM

All information readily available on the internet. Is it the truth? Far more true than ripping up paper and going without a pasty or two, in my opinion.

• ThomasFlamank  |  October 16 2013, 11:47PM

Have you read the report about this matter in the local press Slimslad? It carried a response from the EDL amongst others. Simple question for you so I will take the trouble to repeat it- have you read the report in the local press about this issue Slimslad? The local press would include the Cornishman, the West Briton and the Cornish Guardian or the Western Morning News. It does not include this website or related sites maintained by these newspapers. I await your response with interest.

• Slimslad  |  October 17 2013, 8:35AM

Dodging the issue again? Anonymous "outed" all the members of the EDL. Giving personal details, including locations. Have a glance, then come back and comment on the EDL having a "presence" in Cornwall.

• ThomasFlamank  |  October 17 2013, 10:42AM

Avoiding the question, Slimslad. I shall repeat the posting. Please be precise in your response. Have you read the report about this matter in the local press Slimslad? It carried a response from the EDL amongst others. Simple question for you so I will take the trouble to repeat it- have you read the report in the local press about this issue Slimslad? The local press would include the Cornishman, the West Briton and the Cornish Guardian or the Western Morning News. It does not include this website or related sites maintained by these newspapers.

• TruroCornwall  |  October 17 2013, 4:14PM

........you never know......'slimslad'.......might have a postal subscription to the papers.......from Kernow.......lol........bet he doesn't answer........lol

• Slimslad  |  October 17 2013, 4:57PM

I did. LOL

• ThomasFlamank  |  October 17 2013, 10:30PM

Come, come Slimslad, avoiding the question. I shall repeat the posting once again. Please be precise in your response. Have you read the report about this matter in the local press Slimslad? It carried a response from the EDL amongst others. Simple question for you so I will take the trouble to repeat it- have you read the report in the local press about this issue Slimslad? The local press would include the Cornishman, the West Briton and the Cornish Guardian or the Western Morning News. It does not include this website or related sites maintained by these newspapers. Simple question, simple answer.

• Slimslad  |  October 18 2013, 8:59AM

I refer you to the answer I gave earlier.

• TruroCornwall  |  October 18 2013, 10:06AM

.........more waffle........by 'slimslad'.........so he is indeed.........a long way away............the other side of the 'Amazon',,,,,,,,,,,lol

• ThomasFlamank  |  October 18 2013, 12:46PM

Come, come Slimslad, avoiding the question. I shall repeat the posting once again. Please be precise in your response. Have you read the report about this matter in the local press Slimslad? It carried a response from the EDL amongst others. Simple question for you so I will take the trouble to repeat it- Have you read the report in the local press about this issue Slimslad? The local press would include the Cornishman, the West Briton and the Cornish Guardian or the Western Morning News. It does not include this website or related sites maintained by these newspapers. Simple question, simple answer."

• Slimslad  |  October 18 2013, 6:25PM

"I refer you to the answer I gave earlier."

• Tam64  |  October 18 2013, 6:25PM

It got quite big coverage in the Briton. People were disgusted. That damned flag is an insult here imo. If I see any of their stickers I shall rip them down. From above, I take it Thomas Flamank you are having a go at those who may not live here??? Let them get on with it I say. Who gives a hoot about them?? Kernow bys vyken!!!

• ThomasFlamank  |  October 18 2013, 8:46PM

Come, come Slimslad, avoiding the question. I shall repeat the posting once again. Please be precise in your response. Have you read the report about this matter in the local press Slimslad? It carried a response from the EDL amongst others. Simple question for you so I will take the trouble to repeat it- Have you read the report in the local press about this issue Slimslad? The local press would include the Cornishman, the West Briton and the Cornish Guardian or the Western Morning News. It does not include this website or related sites maintained by these newspapers. Simple question, simple answer

• Slimslad  |  October 18 2013, 9:30PM

"Precise"? Absolutely not... LOL

• ThomasFlamank  |  October 18 2013, 10:56PM

Have you read the report in the local press about this issue Slimslad? The local press would include the Cornishman, the West Briton and the Cornish Guardian or the Western Morning News. It does not include this website or related sites maintained by these newspapers. Simple question, simple answer

• IainS  |  October 19 2013, 12:40AM

Perhaps Slimslad could explain why he/she is not prepared to answer what appears to be a perfectly innocent question. Having read through I cannot see that he/she has. I read the WMN. The story was covered there along with a comment from the EDL spokeperson for Cornwall.

• Slimslad  |  October 19 2013, 10:33AM

Yes.

• Taxman100  |  October 19 2013, 11:41AM

I have not been in a position to read the local press in the past few weeks, but I will catch up. I assume it mentioned English Nationalism is on the rise throughout England, including in Cornwall, and, yes, we should be concerned about it. Anyone who has researched Nationalism will understand it can take various forms. That is left-wing, right-wing or centre: the latter only occurring when the majority of the electorate are content with their lot, and is the most common as it is benign. The biggest danger of course occurs when the centre-benign change their stance significantly, and it is visibly happening throughout the whole of Europe, and Scandinavia. Whenever extreme Nationalism increases, be it left-wing or right-wing, and that includes element within Cornish Nationalism, there will inevitably be an equal and opposite reaction. Ie: if left-wing extremism rises then right-wing extremism will follow suit (or visa-versa). Working in Europe I cannot help but notice both right and left-wing extremism is on the rise: primarily right-wing. In France, Germany and some Scandinavian countries it is right-wing, and in Spain, left-wing. In each case opposition, equally extreme, is also on the rise. France in particular is generally noted for its left wing stance, yet the Front National is becoming a major political force, and should not be underestimated. Many reasons are cited for this behaviour: the most common being, uncontrolled immigration, the Euro crisis (and contrary to the comments made by the Commissioner's in Brussels it has not gone away) and high levels of youth unemployment. Finally, wherever extreme Nationalism raises its ugly head, including in Cornwall, it should be condemned unequivocally.

• ThomasFlamank  |  October 19 2013, 12:13PM

Slimslad, 'Yes' you read the report? What did you make of the comments of the EDL spokesperson for Cornwall?

• ThomasFlamank  |  October 19 2013, 12:14PM

Who themselves may not actually be in Cornwall (like some others).

• Slimslad  |  October 19 2013, 1:06PM

Perhaps they live in Australia, or North America, or England, Wales, Scotland, or Ireland, or any of the places that the Diaspora took them? Is it just "nationalism" or xenophobia.? Or "xenophobic nationalism"?

• TruroCornwall  |  October 19 2013, 6:48PM

..................you were asked what you made of what the English Nationalist said.......'Slimslad'.........weren't you?..........Which paper did you read btw?........and do you know the ethnicity of the English Nat?............the article did say.................and 'Young Cornwall / rickoon'............also queried it.......because it wasn't on line........and for some strange reason (lol).........he couldn't read the Cornish papers

• ThomasFlamank  |  October 20 2013, 4:54PM

Slimslad joins Big_Ger with bizarre conspiracy theories in an attempt to wriggle out of straightforward questions. Simple question. You infer that you read the local press which carried a quite substantial piece on this matter. Now, what did you make of the comments of the EDL spokesperson for Cornwall

• ThomasFlamank  |  October 20 2013, 5:03PM

Slimslad, what did you make of the comments of the EDL spokesperson for Cornwall?

• Taxman100  |  October 21 2013, 11:34AM

I do not believe the comments made by the EDl spokesperson are relevant. As he only expresses the view of his organisation's own brand of politics: a small and detestable political organisation. Wherever extreme Nationalism presents itself it will inevitably have racial overtones: and is equally applicable in extreme Cornish Nationalism. That said, the rise, and rise of Nationalism in Europe, is not based on racism, but on the immigration problems arising as a result of the EU's open borders/doors policy, and the vagaries of the various Human Rights Acts. It is not racism! What has happened in countries like France, where the Front National has become a political force which should not to be underestimated, is spreading to the UK, and surely we must all hope it may be curtailed. Extreme Nationalism wherever it appears should be condemned unequivocally, including in Cornwall.

• everywhere  |  October 21 2013, 1:47PM

Singing the same old song Taxman100,and still not able to understand the difference between the fascist views of the EDL/BNP...and that of national liberation here in Cornwall....Extreme Nationalism??..are your anti Cornish,pro English views acceptable then??...Not to me pal!!..

• Taxman100  |  October 21 2013, 2:56PM

everywhere. You just highlight the problem about extreme views. You believe you are right and others wrong. Failing to accept others may, rightfully, hold a different viewpoint to your own. I am not anti_Cornish, I am a Cornishman myself. Put simply, I do not subscribe to your version of extreme Cornish Nationalism. I will make the point again. Extreme Nationalism no matter where it arises should be condemned, unequivocally. Furthermore, some of the views expressed on this site would indicate there are a few who hold extreme views equal to those of the EDL. National Liberation? Not for me. I am liberal and fully liberated already!

• everywhere  |  October 21 2013, 5:30PM

No,no, no...A Cornishman you are not!!..You are an Englishman,and a unionist!..any notion of Cornishness with you,is subjugate to Englishness!!..I have no problem with anyone declaring himself English...but to be Cornish and deny Cornwall's historic right to nationhood,is to view Cornwall and its people with contempt..

• ThomasFlamank  |  October 21 2013, 11:50PM

Slimslad, what did you make of the comments of the EDL spokesperson for Cornwall?"

• Slimslad  |  October 22 2013, 7:37AM

Xenophobic nationalism, in common with other insignificant groups.

• Big_Ger  |  October 22 2013, 10:08AM

One thing that should be noted is that English nationalism in Cornwall will draw support away from the Cornish nationalist cause, as those who choose nationalism as a away of venting their frustration at their personal inadequacy care only about themselves and their own ego. Cornish/English nationalism is an excuse to hate those who are different or who have done well for themselves, we see it here, with the likes of some who have posted above, all the time.

• KernowGB  |  October 22 2013, 11:05AM

@Big_Ger - Re Tuesday, October 22 2013, 10:08AM That is so much gobbledy**** that I doubt you can even understand any of it yourself. Now explain - if you can! - what all that means and how you could possibly have arrived at such disparate, and meaningless, comparisons. Do not leave out the other possibility, namely: English Imperialism, which is, and has been, the root of all evil in this Island - and beyond!

• IainS  |  October 22 2013, 11:51AM

You are way off mark Big.Ger but having read and written to people about some of your more outrageous and abusive comments made of the Grand Bard, I am hardly surprised to see you making such comments. This Government has a lot to answer for in stoking up xenophobic nationalism. I speak as one born in England and having moved to Cornwall, becoming a Cornish nationalist. I agree with your comments KernowGB. Very well said.

• Big_Ger  |  October 22 2013, 2:51PM

A grand to you IanS if you can quote where I have said anything abusive about the grand bard. One thing for sure is that Cornish nationalism attracts more than its fair share of liars and fantasists.

• Big_Ger  |  October 22 2013, 2:52PM

Make it five grand, links please!!

• Big_Ger  |  October 22 2013, 2:56PM

Jim, English nationalism will attract support away from Cornish nationalism, as, unfortunately it is more active and has a higher profile. Therefore miserable souls who may have been attracted to Cornish nationalism as an outlet for their missanthropic views, and their life of failure, will deviate to that cause. But in the end it matters little, Cornish or English nationalism is nothing but hate wrapped in a flag in any case.

• Taxman100  |  October 22 2013, 3:47PM

everywhere. Yes, I am English and a Unionist. I am also Cornish born and bred, and when not working in Europe I live in the County. Furthermore, I love and respect my County. I deny nobody anything. I, like the majority of people living in Cornwall, whether Cornish (by what ever definition you subscribe to) or not, do not follow your brand of politics. In support of my comment may I add the Cornish Nationalist Party (MK) rarely gains more than 4% in the County wide elections, and, seeing it has been around in one form or another for 100 years it does not seem to have grasped the attention of the electorate. You know what I mean - like the Tories, Liberal Democrats, or the newcomer UKipper's (6 seats) have done. I wonder why that is so? One of the most bizarre comments I have read on this forum was, "if the Unionists had not voted against it we would have succeeded". So much for democracy amongst the Nationalists!

• KernowGB  |  October 22 2013, 5:20PM

@Big_Ger Re Tuesday, October 22 2013, 2:56PM Not going to clarify your thinking, then? The problem in choosing which 'nationalism to follow is first identifying what nationalism actually means in an objective and unprejudiced way, because most uninformed perceptions of 'nationalism' are, as with 'genocide', skewed and influenced by the propaganda of a 'Greater State Chauvinism', which is a posh modern title for Imperialism. In our case English (hegemonic) Imperialism. One thing,for certain, is that having the choice - of 'whose nationalism'? - will sort the wheat from the chaff, because it will make people have to choose. That is when one's 'real' identity, and integrity, will surface and expose the true measure of Cornish Genocide. It should, however, open up an interesting debate, because it can only polarize into the usual Cornish or English identity/ethnicity/nationality format and make people think for themselves.

• ThomasFlamank  |  October 22 2013, 5:45PM

Slimslad, what did you make of the comments of the EDL spokesperson for Cornwall?

• Slimslad  |  October 22 2013, 6:05PM

Xenophobic nationalism, in common with other insignificant, right-wing, groups.

• ThomasFlamank  |  October 22 2013, 7:50PM

Slimslad, what did you make of his specific comments about Cornwall? Do you agree with them?

• Slimslad  |  October 23 2013, 7:00PM

Still no photographic evidence of these EDL "outrages". Personally, I treasure my photograph of the Cat's National Liberation Army. How well-fed are these nationalists?

• ThomasFlamank  |  October 23 2013, 9:57PM

You should come to Cornwall and take some Slimslad. They were in the local press. Or haven't you looked? Or perhaps, can't you look and rely on 'on line editions'? Meanwhile, what did you make of the EDL spokesman's specific comments about Cornwall? Do you agree with them? Or haven't you read the article at all? You can read, can't you? Or perhaps you haven't had access to our local papers? I treasure my hotel reviews and ship society entries made by someone called Slimslad, just like you! Strange old thing really. Someone who posted with a picture just like yours and so far away. Anyway, mustn't go off topic. What did you make of the EDL spokesman's specific comments about Cornwall? Do you agree with them?

• Slimslad  |  October 24 2013, 8:14AM

" I treasure my hotel reviews and ship society entries made by someone called Slimslad, just like you! Strange old thing really. Someone who posted with a picture just like yours and so far away." LOL!!!

• ThomasFlamank  |  October 24 2013, 2:33PM

Slimslad, what did you make of the EDL spokesman's specific comments about Cornwall? Do you agree with them?

• Slimslad  |  October 24 2013, 2:59PM

No further contact with right-wing nationalists, I'm afraid.

• ThomasFlamank  |  October 24 2013, 5:29PM

Not asking you about your contacts Slimslad. But about that article, Slimslad, what did you make of the EDL spokesman's specific comments about Cornwall? Do you agree with them?

• Slimslad  |  October 24 2013, 7:50PM

As a poster who has consistently kept the same "identity" over a long period, I will no longer reply to individuals whom I believe to have multiple identities. Cuts down on repeating myself.

• ThomasFlamank  |  October 24 2013, 10:46PM

Waffle noted. Lack of reply noted. Question repeated. About that article, Slimslad, what did you make of the EDL spokesman's specific comments about Cornwall? Do you agree with them? I don't mind repeating myself.

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!