Login Register

Discussion

“The End of Britain

I really enjoyed reading this. Many of us know that the end of the political construct 'Britain' is fast coming:

http://tinyurl.com/at27o3w

By AnGof2012 Posted: January 22, 2013

10 comments

10 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • AnGof2012  |  January 23 2013, 2:36PM

Then why respond, English? Quiet up there today is it?

• AnGof2012  |  January 23 2013, 2:36PM

Then why respond, English? Quiet up there today is it?

• cliffwalker2  |  January 25 2013, 4:36PM

I agree. England should get rid of the Celts and just govern the territory conquered by the Saxons and taken over by the Normans, which includes Cornwall of course. William Duke of Normandy never regarded Cornwall as a separate nation, he just seized it from the Saxons, turned the remaining Cornish into serfs and carried on as before. Most of the land West of the Tamar was given to his half brother Roger, Count of Mortain. It's all in the Domesday Book.

• AnGof2012  |  January 25 2013, 5:22PM

Slight geographical and historical amendment there cliffwalker2 for as we all know, Cornwall lays next to Engerland a bit like Wales. Thought you would have known that really. The Cornish fought alongside the Normans and Bretons against the Saxons in 1066 and Bretons were placed in charge of Cornwall because the Cornish and Bretons spoke the same language. Thought you would have known that as well. Just shows, you can learn something new every day, doesn't it?

• cliffwalker2  |  January 25 2013, 9:35PM

Yes. Just winding you up. A Breton knight called Blohin was Montain's undertenant up here in North Cornwall. He hailed from north-east Britanny and of course he would have spoken Brythonic Breton as well as neighbouring Norman-French.

• Slimslad  |  January 25 2013, 10:23PM

What I find amusing is that Cornish nationalists base all their "differences" on the fact that English royalty seemed to separate Cornwall from the rest of England and made Cornwall a Duchy. Their "challenge" of "difference" is based on the how this "difference" made Cornwall a "country" rather than a "county". Yet the "royal assent" of their "difference" is held in contempt by Cornish "republicans". Yet "republicans" are rejected because, without the Duchy, Cornwall is a county.

• AnGof2012  |  January 25 2013, 10:37PM

What I find amusing is you Slimslad. That and the peculiar English trait to want everything absorbed and tidy and ****geneous and subservient. That inability to let go. Truly amusing.

• cliffwalker2  |  January 26 2013, 5:39PM

What I don't understand is why the English want to keep Cornwall. When you add up what the Cornish pay in taxes, which is minimal, and set it against the cost of all the public services they receive - the NHS, education, welfare benefits and the collosal housing & council tax benefit fraud that goes on down here - the subsidy from the English taxpayer must be enormous. Why don't the English cut Cornwall - and Northern Ireland, which is even worse - adrift?

• Slimslad  |  January 26 2013, 8:33PM

"education"? "collosal"? Much needed, it appears.

• AnGof2012  |  January 27 2013, 5:05AM

Like that Slimslad, 'collosal' indeed. Must be the product of the English educational system! I don't know why either cliffwalker2. We would welcome the chance as doubtless would many in the occupied north of Ireland. Write to your MP and suggest he or she cast us adrift, please, I implore you! We just don't want you anymore. News of triple dip recession (why they don't call it a 'depression' which is what it really is, I cannot understand) is further evidence that your England is failing fast.

• Slimslad  |  January 28 2013, 10:07AM

"The occupied north of Ireland."? ""education"? "collosal"? Much needed, it appears."

• cliffwalker2  |  January 28 2013, 7:50PM

Not much chance of that happening An Gof. The Cornish know which side their bread is buttered on, the side with the money. I wrote my ethnicity as Cornish in the Census box to help puff up the percentage but with 60% of Cornish residents declaring themselves to be English theres not much hope of the Treasury cutting them adrift or Mebyon Kernow gathering much more than 4% at the next General Election. A pity. England would be so much better without the Celts but the Scottish Nationalists are making a hash of the independence referendum campaign with SNP support dropping to 23%. Perhaps Alex Salmon should give the vote to 12 year olds. We should help him.

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!