Login Register
 °

Discussion

“From Dumnonia to Cornubia

By Professor Philip Payton, Director of the Institute of Cornish Studies.

If it is in the Iron Age that Cornwall acquires that Celtic identity which we recognise today, then it is in the succeeding era –as we move from prehistoric to historic times – that Cornwall begins to develop the territorial identity which marks it out geo-politically as the land apart.”

By AnBalores Posted: February 25, 2014

13 comments

13 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • IainS  |  February 25 2014, 11:29PM

Professor Payton has written some excellent books. Doubtless the trolls will disbelieve his findings as well.

• Big_Ger  |  February 26 2014, 9:33AM

"Cornwall was part of the Civitas Dumnoniorum, the canton of Dumnonia, with its administrative centre in Exeter. The Dumnonii themselves were a tribal grouping that had emerged during the Iron Age, and their name may mean or be derived from their reputation as 'Worshippers of the God Dumnonos'. Their territory included modern Cornwall, Devon (which name comes from the work Dumnonia). The western parts of Somerset and perhaps the fringes of Dorset. Intriguingly, the tribal name Cornovii (or Cornavii) occurs elsewhere in Britain at this time. In the north-west of what has today become the English Midlands and in the far north of Scotland in what is now Caithness (there were also Dumnonii or Damnonii in the west-central Scotland)." Of course Prof Payton's work will now have to be revised, it was written before this discovery. Mr Smith said: "For Roman Britain it's an important and quite crucial discovery because it tells us a lot about Roman occupation in the South West that was hitherto completely unexpected. "The other Roman sites we know about [in Cornwall] have occupation in the 1st Century AD, of about AD50 to AD80, and that fits in with what we know about Exeter. "In finding the pottery and glass, it's saying the occupation is much longer and goes from AD60 up to about AD250, which turns the whole thing on its head. Mr Clemes discovered Roman pottery and glass at the site "It certainly means a rewrite of history in the South West." http://tinyurl.com/o3m6xzr

• AnBalores  |  February 26 2014, 10:39AM

More nonsense from Bigger

• AnBalores  |  February 26 2014, 11:38PM

More bitter and blinkered denials from hereandthere

• hereandthere  |  February 27 2014, 10:27AM

Lalalalalalalala, goes AnBalores.

• AnBalores  |  February 27 2014, 2:57PM

More bitter and blinkered denials from hereandthere who appears to have completely lost his marbles and is now sat on a cushion in front of the TV watching strangely coloured people bobbing around.

• Slimslad  |  February 27 2014, 4:44PM

Mention the Romans or the Normans ever set foot in Cornwall? Unleashes a tirade of personal insults from the neo-Celts.

• hereandthere  |  February 27 2014, 6:34PM

Well, AnBalores, have you read the book I quoted from by Professor John Collis? I have read Professor Payton's. Or are you afraid?

• AnBalores  |  February 27 2014, 9:29PM

No I am afraid of nothing but have read sufficient of Professors Payton and Stoyle, Drs Deacon, Kent and Stowell to tell me all I ever need to know

• AnBalores  |  February 27 2014, 9:31PM

As for slimey, is he aware that the Cornish actually fought on the side of the Normans and indeed the Bretons against the Anglo Saxons? Hence a Breton governance of the Kingdom of Cornwall post invasion? No, probably not

• Slimslad  |  February 28 2014, 6:25PM

As for slimey....... After the personal insults? I lose interest in the rest of the "twistory".

• cweatherhill  |  March 01 2014, 4:37PM

Cornovii merely described people who lived in a "horn" of land. For the Midland Cornovii that was either the Wirral or the Wrekin. In the far north it refererd to the N peninsula of Scotland. As far as Cornwall's concerned the term "Cornouion" (Cornish) is recorded from c. 400 AD, although part of the larger Dumnonia. The latter name disappeared, leaving just that of the western land, as a result of West Saxon expansion. Exactly when that happened isn't known. Dumnonia was still in use in 710, and not in 875 (when Donyarth was described as "Rex Cerniu"), so it was somewhere between the two. I suspect it was when the original Axe-Parrett border had been pushed back to the Taw-Exe line, probably in the early 9th century. Ecgberht of Wessex wrote into a Charter he signed at Credition in 825 that he was "among the enemy", strongly suggested that the Taw-Exe line had become the boundary beyween Cornwall and Wessex.

• hereandthere  |  March 01 2014, 5:40PM

cweatherill, thank you for coming along with a reasoned post. I think we can both agree that 'suspected' is not the basis for claiming facts. Much is suspected that, although very interesting, is never proof of anything. Also, there is much new thinking and information available. As for the existence of 'Celts' in these islands they have never been proved at all, quite the opposite.

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!