Login Register

Discussion

“No to Devonwall! 334 to 292!

Kernow stays one!

I was at tonight's party with many of the Cornish patriots, activists and politicians who worked so hard to destroy this threat to our Country.

I was honoured to be in the company of such dedicated people who never lost sight of the eventual aim!

I witnessed the clever tactics which brought about this victory against the English plans!

Kernow bys vyken!”

By AnGof2012 Posted: January 30, 2013

20 comments

20 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • AnGof2012  |  January 30 2013, 2:08AM

MPs voting to delay the boundary review: 251 Labour; 57 Lib Dem; 4 Conservative; 6 SNP; 6 DUP; 3 Plaid Cymru; 3 SDLP; 1 Green; 2 Independent; 1 Respect MPs voting to proceed with the boundary review: 290 Conservative; 1 Alliance; 1 Independent

• Gurnards_Head  |  January 30 2013, 9:38AM

Agree that the outcome was satisfactory even though it was achieved by political treachery of the highest order rather than genuine passion for Kernows integrity but needs must Kernow has survived for now. Clever tactics? no distasteful opportunism that coincidentally rolled the dice in Kernows favour this time, relief rather than rejoicing springs to mind because the types who engineered this are no real friends of ours because they would stab us in the back tomorrow if it suited their selfish ends, kERNOW HAS MERELY BEEN GIVEN BREATHING SPACE. For my money there is too much I this and I that and not enough we this and we that bearing in mind our cry of ONEN HAG HAL hopefully these are not just empty words as there are many true Patriots who never brag about what goes on quietly and peacefully behind all the strutting and posing that merely serves to inflame our enemies and make us all look foolish. KERNOW BYS VYKEN.

• Slimslad  |  January 30 2013, 9:51AM

"I was at tonight's party with many of the Cornish patriots, activists and politicians who worked so hard to destroy this threat to our Country." I bet that phone-box was crowdwd.

• Slimslad  |  January 30 2013, 10:03AM

Sorry! "Crowded"!

• youngcornwall  |  January 30 2013, 12:45PM

Whatever the ins and outs of the outcome may have been there is only one person who has made any substantial input into this and really got the ball rolling, that was Mike Chapell, we do not know for sure how far Mike would have taken his hunger strike but far enough though for those who were needed to sit up and take notice. http://tinyurl.com/a37nc8c

• youngcornwall  |  January 30 2013, 8:02PM

It looks like not many on here are going to give Mike the credit that he deserves on this matter, the only person to stand up and be counted at the end of the day, plenty of others writing reams upon reams and giving advice without any action so it seems. Incidentally my main objective at the time was to get Mike to call off his hunger strike, no way would I encourage anyone to put their life in danger.

• KernowGB  |  January 30 2013, 8:21PM

:) :) :) Adj. 1. sanctimonious - excessively or hypocritically pious; "a sickening sanctimonious smile" holier-than-thou, pharisaic, pharisaical, self-righteous, pietistic, pietistical pious - having or showing or expressing reverence for a deity; "pious readings"

• youngcornwall  |  January 30 2013, 8:43PM

Yes those so called hard hitting lovers of Cornwall need to hold their heads in shame.

• AnGof2012  |  January 30 2013, 11:05PM

Mr. Chappell is my landlord and was at the do last night. He is a blunt, kind man and a Cornish speaker. He has the support of many in Cornwall although loads hate him because of his many contacts and no nonsense attitude to the authorities. He made himself ill and was even mentioned in the English Parliament over this. He also had the guts to tear up his TV licence publicly and still does not have one. The best and straightest landlord I have ever had. And for your information Slimslad, there were loads there last night including many Councillors as an article in this paper points out. Proud? You are damned right we are! And believe me, there is more organisation in the battle for Cornwall than many internet trolls like you would ever know. Political parties down here to one side, the Cornish and their supporters are good at what they do and come together when they need to despite party allegiances. You don't know half of it. We are Cornish and we aren't going to go away! Is it the same over in your part of England across the boundary between Cornwall and your country?

• youngcornwall  |  January 31 2013, 6:46AM

"He is a blunt, kind man and a Cornish speaker." Few and far between that is for sure, but there are plenty that are mediocre with all the talk without the walk.

• youngcornwall  |  January 31 2013, 12:43PM

Can anyone help please with a link if possible of MCs moving testimony of when he was a little boy, he and his grandfather were at Carn Brea and Mike's grandfather pushed his little fingers in the soil and said this is your land as far as you can see, or words to that effect, not too sure.

• youngcornwall  |  January 31 2013, 3:49PM

Found it.. http://tinyurl.com/arcojsj Good isn't it. "When I was but a ten year old boy my late grandfather took me to the top of Carn Brea and pushed my fingers into the soil and said to me 'Feel and listen son and you will feel the heart beat of Cornwall. Look around you and all that you see is yours. You are it and it is you. They cannot take that away from you.' And of course he was true. They cannot and will not take it away, will they dear friends ?"

• cliffwalker2  |  January 31 2013, 11:56PM

MPs have only voted to delay all the boundary changes, not cancel them, and that was only because the independent boundary commissions recommendations favoured the Tories and the Lib-Dems joined Labour on this issue. Few of the MPs give a rats botty about Cornwall and Devonwall. Eventually the Tories will gain a Commons majority, not perhaps in 2015 but one day they will and then the commissioners recommendations will be voted through.

• youngcornwall  |  February 01 2013, 9:37AM

"Few of the MPs give a rats botty about Cornwall and Devonwall." That could be so, but it is those apart from MPs (the people in the street) who did give more than "a rats botty" that made the difference, let's give a little bit of credit to those if nothing else. "When I was but a ten year old boy my late grandfather took me to the top of Carn Brea and pushed my fingers into the soil and said to me 'Feel and listen son and you will feel the heart beat of Cornwall. Look around you and all that you see is yours. You are it and it is you. They cannot take that away from you.' And of course he was true. They cannot and will not take it away, will they dear friends ?"

• Chopper8  |  February 01 2013, 11:25AM

@ 'Young'Cornwall - link FYI http://tinyurl.com/r37s7o

• youngcornwall  |  February 01 2013, 2:55PM

@Chopper8 And what are you taking for it boy? LOL. Better move on, have nice day. "The moors and the coves and narrow winding roads that lead down to the sea Where the fishing boats sail when there isn't a gale and little tearooms all serve Cornish cream tea." This kind of wording could be stereotyping and holding Cornwall back in my opinion regarding any kind of industry coming to Cornwall that Cornwall so desperately needs, not what the likes of what MC has to say, if I can find the youtube out I will put a link up.

• Big_Ger  |  February 01 2013, 8:40PM

Does this mean Mr Chappell is back on the nationalist scene? Oh goody, Cornish action man returns, I wonder what his next stunt will be?

• youngcornwall  |  February 01 2013, 9:33PM

With the right back up team I reckon Mike Chappell could be the right person for the job, now what job that could be at this moment in time remains to be seen, I know he is reluctant to join any political party so something of the independent mode it would have to be. One of his biggest setbacks will be those who are shuffling to be top dog, those who will pull anyone or anything down so they can get on, even they have very little talent or charisma.

• AnGof2012  |  February 01 2013, 11:05PM

My landlord is extremely active on the Cornish scene Bigger but will not become involved in any political party. Doesn't stop him enjoying a drink with MPs and Councillors though at celebration parties. Did you hear him on Pirate FM and Heart radio today btw? Brilliant and outspoken as usual! He sits on many committees and that seems to keep him busy from what I see. He still doesn't have a TV licence. The authorities won't go near him. He would tie them up in knots although he has openly invited them!

• youngcornwall  |  February 02 2013, 1:02PM

"The authorities won't go near him. He would tie them up in knots although he has openly invited them!" Being too over confidant has been the downfall of many, but with Mike I am sure he knows how far it is best to go. This is the link I said I would put up.. http://tinyurl.com/b5bdcq5

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!