Login Register
 °

Discussion

“Councillor resigns over 'lie detector' fears

In it, she said: "It came to my attention that the contract let to Capita (before I took up my portfolio duties) to survey claimants of the single person's council tax relief will include the use of 'Voice Risk Analysis' (VRA) techniques when making phone calls to claimants.

"These techniques are sometimes called 'lie detector' test.

http://tinyurl.com/au2l3er

By Slimslad Posted: January 24, 2013

7 comments

7 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • AnGof2012  |  January 24 2013, 3:00PM

Very old news. Covered in the Western Morning News days ago. Do you buy the WMN Slimslad?

• AnGof2012  |  January 24 2013, 3:06PM

It finally made tis website a few days ago as a member of the Nasty Party resigned: http://tinyurl.com/b23***f Do you buy any of the Western Morning News papers, maybe the Cornishman or the Cornish Guardian Slimslad?

• AnGof2012  |  January 24 2013, 3:06PM
  • youngcornwall  |  January 24 2013, 3:24PM

If this particular councillor wishes to resign good for her, but the bottom line is, if the claimants have nothing to hide they have nothing to lose.

• cliffwalker2  |  January 25 2013, 4:27PM

This is about people who say they are single when they are really living with someone but claiming housing and council tax benefit. It's a huge problem throughout the country but there's a lot of it going on in Cornwall. It's one of the main welfare benefit frauds. I don't understand why Cllr. Ferguson quit, it sounds like an excuse to distance herself from her party just before the May election. There's nothing secret about the 'lie detector' system. It is usually only used when council officers have already collected evidence such as credit applications, vehicle registrations/insurance or NHS records suggesting that the claimant isn't really single and they are told that what they say over the phone is being checked for honesty. They don't have to go through with it, they can withdraw their benefit application and stop thieving from the rest of us.

• AnGof2012  |  January 25 2013, 5:23PM

Are you a member of the Nasty Party, cliffwalker2?

• cliffwalker2  |  January 25 2013, 9:30PM

No. Just fed up with the system being ripped off by welfare crooks.

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!