Login Register

Discussion

“Cornwall and the tourist 'myth'

According to the ONS, 'Sub-Regional Value of Tourism in the UK', 2011, tourism spending amounts to just 11% in Cornwall. Moreover, it employs just 14.4% of employees in Cornwall (Nomis website, based on Labour Force Survey), down from 14.8% in 1995.”

By West Briton Posted: June 27, 2012

18 comments

18 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • H_Trevorrow  |  June 27 2012, 12:52PM

The stats for employees do not count self employed.....so deeply flawed . Majority of tourism businesses are small self employed entities. More numpty info for the hard of thinking.

• H_Trevorrow  |  June 27 2012, 2:29PM

36000 employed in accomodation and food services followed by 29000 in retail followed by 21000 in health followed by 19000 in manufacturing {the nearest competing sector for earning out of county income} fishing farming forestry way down the list at 11000

• H_Trevorrow  |  June 27 2012, 2:34PM

Poldice are you in possession of a big red nose, large floppy shoes and a car with doors that fall off?? LOL.

• poldice  |  June 27 2012, 5:26PM

You enjoy talking to yourself do you Trevorrow?

• H_Trevorrow  |  June 27 2012, 5:41PM

Please do join in with your facts Poldice. Gross domestic product per head has cornwall level with Greece and Slovakia.......your turn coco.

• poldice  |  June 27 2012, 9:07PM

Suggest you call the Samaritans Trevorrow I have been told that they are very good at dealing with people like you. seems no one else can be bothered.

• H_Trevorrow  |  June 27 2012, 10:21PM

POLDICE kernow looks to a captain of industry, like yourself, to add some flesh to these fiscal bones.....your a bit of a dissappiontment cap'n

• poldice  |  June 27 2012, 10:40PM

"In the darkness of despair we saw a vision. We lit the light of hope and it was not extinguished. In the desert of discouragement we saw a vision. We planted the tree of valour and it blossomed. In the winter of bondage we saw a vision. We melted the snow of lethargy and the river of resurrection flowed from it. We sent our vision aswim like a swan on the river. The vision became a reality. Winter became summer. Bondage became freedom and this we left to you as our inheritance. O generations of freedom remember us. The generations of the vision."

• poldice  |  June 27 2012, 10:47PM

And Trevorrow went into the wilderness and cried out in vain but no one heard him as he beat his breast in despair that the wilful People of Kernow should keep their own Counsel lest he betray them.

• H_Trevorrow  |  June 27 2012, 11:21PM

poetic non sense my people need food and shelter. we will rely on ourselves...thanks for nothing

• poldice  |  June 27 2012, 11:32PM

Your people need food and shelter do they? But you do not reveal who "your" people are, suggest you try England where they must look after their own. Obviously you do not have vision! My people will get by we are familiar with adversity, we are surrounded by fish and our farms are fertile. My vision is crystal clear I have no need of a false prophet.

• H_Trevorrow  |  June 27 2012, 11:55PM

Poldice you make it easy to defeat you. If you followed our ancestors and knuckled down to our unenviable tasks, namely tourism, retirement centre and seasonal farm work etc you would be formidable. Presently your stance is weak. We have always made the best of opportunity. Vision coming from a trawler skipper who fished out his own lifes stock is a bit rich.

• poldice  |  June 28 2012, 9:30AM

Whats your answer then Trevorrow given that we occupy a narrow peninsula with one main road in and out that still needs improvement. What we have presently is a firm foundation of natural wealth that we can build upon because people always need to eat and increasingly they seek leisure activities and the dreaded lifestyle. Our present population is at the top end of what can reasonably be deemed sustainable without further massive infrastructure investment which in reality is not going to happen yet hordes of speculative developers are proposing tens of thousands more houses not aimed at locals but prosperous retiree's who will compound the present stresses on our creaking infrastructure. Objective one funding was largely a cruel confidence trick that in reality never did attain critical mass, the money was taken from us all in the first place, wasted in Brussels and a few token crumbs handed back as if they were doing us a great favour. Given the hoops that had to be jumped through to obtain the funding and the cost of the insane levels of regulation implicit in its granting it was largely negative, the biggest winners were the now thankfully defunct SWERDA and the Eden Project which must be admired for the sheer aplomb with which it mined the rich seam of funding it unearthed. Unfortunately the Eden Project despite exceeding its own projections in its business plan appears to have become a funding junkie unable to exist without continual top up handouts from funding bodies. Currently it would appear that Cornwall Development Company is foundering for lack of a flagship project which does not surprise me in the least having been involved in working up a potential scheme the process is simply not worth the effort. Cornwall Council is criticised over Newquay Airport but there is actually considerable latent potential there for the kind of high intensity skilled employment Cornwall is crying out for which unfortunately will not happen overnight. Fishing? yes I agree serious mistakes were made fuelled by greed and sealed by Brussels intransigence by way of the disastrous quota system, success encouraged too many boats who were discarding huge amounts of fish for lack of quota which sent uneccessary fishing mortality through the roof. When boats were decommissioned pressure was taken off stocks despite continued discarding, presently most stocks are in very good health as demonstrated by what is being landed, it is amazing how quickly the sea will heal itself if allowed to, fishing is now well down the road to a prosperous sustainable future if Brussels can be reined in by good science. To me tourism is a very significant bolt on extra capitalising on Cornwalls scenic splendour but jobs where people actually produce things are absolutely vital, fishing and farming are currently ok, there may be a token minerals industry but operations like A & P Falmouth, Pendennis Shipyard and the increasing number of marinas are showing the way forward on the skilled emplyment front. It must be remembered that the headline employment figures of all these industries do not tell the true story as they all need services and supplies so there is what amounts to an hidden economy that is the real icing on the cake, my company provides support in this field, like so many others we place our own business locally, if humanely possible we invest from within. The real enemy remains unbridled unsuitable speculative development by companies who are short termist, who have no feel for Cornwall or its put upon people only being interested in ripping as much profit as possible out of their horrible projects of which I wager you, Trevorrow, are in favour of. I will not exchange my personal vision for your obvious nightmare one Trevorrow, but you exist on negative sound bytes do you not, I have little to prove at least as a good Cornishman I have tried and in some small ways suceeded by providing work which pays 16 families mortgages.

• SECRETCITEZEN  |  June 28 2012, 9:40AM

whatever the job , for the majority life sucks in cornwall . working 3 jobs to pay the rent and bills i know many people whio work so hard and they dont have any disposable cash. the real issue is our councill , and the old people , both say no to everything

• poldice  |  June 28 2012, 9:44AM

SWERDA CDC et al encapsulate the weak innefectual economic leadership imposed on Cornwall by those elsewhere, they were presented as Messiah's sent to relieve us, the backward Cornish of the yoke of their suffering BUT THEY HAVE FAILED OR ARE FAILING US YET AGAIN. Cornwalls future must be determined by its own population in their own image, it is their ancient land which has in the past does at present and will continue to provide for the REASONABLE needs and expectations of its population. there is no room for greed or short termism on the long haul to quiet sustainable prosperity.

• poldice  |  June 28 2012, 10:23AM

Life currently seems to suck wherever you are SECRETCITEZEN, its symptomatic of the me me me consumerist society so beloved of the mega corporate clones who have enslaved their victims with the need to possess their latest offering NOW! Incompetent greedy politicians have done little to improve matters either. Whats the betting that at least 1 of your 3 jobs is with one of these economic vampires? It is right to say no to the kind of speculative developments that encourage these organisations to treat their staff the way they do in order to maximise profits, the battle against them is probably lost because their victims are so addicted to the nebulous offer the peddle. It is also right to say no to the massive housing developments these insatiable monsters demand to fuel growth at any cost because our infrastructure is not up to the pressures imposed by these developments. What Cornwall needs is real jobs for real people to break the low wage cycle of despair endemic in part time employment. That said I hope things get better for you because I know from past experience how hard things can be.

• everywhere  |  June 28 2012, 11:04AM

A good posting poldice!!...keep grinding trevorrow into the ground...let him convince the worms of his garbage!!!....

• H_Trevorrow  |  June 28 2012, 11:14AM

pushing up house prices by not catering for demand is unsustainable. When has inferstructure ever been at overcapacity? Yours is an argument for further inferstructure investment.

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!