Login Register
 °

Discussion

“Should Cornwall take note of this financial waste. http://tinyurl.com/9sg8k5v.
Discuss.”

By Taxman100 Posted: October 13, 2012

12 comments

12 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • Taxman100  |  October 13 2012, 3:58PM

The tiny url will not work on this server - because it is a Scottish Newspaper page! This is a copy Record sums have gone on teaching and promoting the language in recent years Friday October 12,2012 By Rod Mills ALEX Salmond's plans to spread the use of Gaelic came under fire yesterday when it emerged that a flagship primary school where the language is taught, cannot find a head teacher who speaks it. Annika Jansson, current acting head of Bun-sgoil Ghaidhlig Inbhir Nis (BSGI, Inverness Gaelic primary school), is from Sweden. Highland Council education bosses have advertised seven times in the last three years for a Gaelic speaker for the £48,000-a-year post. Ms Jansson's potential replacement, who is due to be interviewed next month, does not speak the language either. Angry parents have set up a Facebook and Twitter campaign to draw attention to the situation at the 155-pupil school at Slackbuie, which also has 70 nursery pupils. Local councillor Jim Crawford said having a head teacher from Sweden in a Gaelic-speaking school in the Highland Capital underlined the "futility" of the Gaelic programme, and added: "It's outrageous, especially at a time when ordinary schools are considering cutting back to a four-day week to save money. But it seems we'll spend money on Gaelic willy nilly." It's outrageous, especially at a time when ordinary schools are considering cutting back to a four-day week to save money. But it seems we'll spend money on Gaelic willy nilly. Record sums have gone on teaching and promoting the language in recent years, with Scottish Government spending on Gaelic increasing from £19.2million in 2009/10 to £21.7million in 2010-11. Earlier this month, the Scottish Government announced its national Gaelic plan for 2014/15, aimed at safeguarding the future of the language by promoting learning, increasing its use and enhancing its status. Scottish Parliament staff are also being taught to greet visitors in Gaelic. The Scottish Government has come under fire for spending cash on translating road signs into the language, even in areas where historically it was not spoken

• PaddyTrembath  |  October 13 2012, 9:17PM

There is more to life than money. ;-)

• Taxman100  |  October 14 2012, 3:56PM

PaddyTrembath. Indeed there is; and it is not the resurrection of a dead language to be force fed to our children for political reasons. Our youth has already been let down by our current education system and the suggestion 'Cornish' should be taught in our schools is nothing short of political brain-washing. As I have said before many times, if adults or Cornish Bards wish to learn the language then that is reasonable - to attempt to teach it to our children is not. I am a Cornishman. I know I am a Cornishman born and bred, and proud of being so. Moreover, I do not need to learn a once dead language, or pretend to be a Celt to prove my Cornish origins. I am a Cornishman and I am English and I am not ashamed to say so to anyone!

• youngcornwall  |  October 14 2012, 4:38PM

"and the suggestion 'Cornish' should be taught in our schools is nothing short of political brain-washing." This is the laughable thing about this Cornish mishmash, the authorities are bending over backwards to please a certain section of the Cornish community, and what do we hear from them, Genocide genocide the Cornish nationalists cry, you couldn't make it up if you tried.

• PaddyTrembath  |  October 14 2012, 4:49PM

I do not know much about the Scottish education system, but I do know that there is no attempt to force children to learn Cornish in Cornish schools. There is just the wish that it be a choice that is available. To attempt to deny a child access to education, of any sort is wrong. I do not even believe it right to prevent the teaching of "Intelligent Design" to children, they need something to laugh at. The point is that children should be given a broad, even, education, one that is balanced and that presents both sides of any "argument" equally. It should also allow them to choose topics that interest them, that are not necessarily seen as being "useful", all knowledge is an improvement. I too am a Cornishman, born and bred, equally as proud of being so as yourself. I do not pretend to be a Celt, no pretence is necessary, I am descended from the first humans to live in this part of the world following the last Ice Age, who had/have a Celtic culture and outlook on life. I do not have to "prove" anything to anyone. Me, I am Cornish, and I am British, my wife is English and British. There is no shame in either of those identities You claim to be Cornish and English, OK, but why? Why do you claim English Nationality as opposed to British Nationality?

• Taxman100  |  October 14 2012, 4:57PM

YC. How right you are. You couldn't make it up. I couldn't make it up, but they can make it up by the lorry load - Farmers wisely spread it on their land. I think that in future we should shorten their title to, 'GNats'!

• youngcornwall  |  October 14 2012, 5:31PM

As one door close another one opens, money well spent? http://tinyurl.com/8pxgkuz

• Hithere  |  October 14 2012, 6:46PM

The link you provided for Fowey Community College shows this idea to very high tech the signs look really good, but is this diverting funds away from real problems that schools face in the lack of funding and general direction in basic education or thIs a way forward to helping make a change for whatever reason? I am sure there are some that would like to take our tax money and spend it on this 'Cornish identity' idea but will that be good for Cornwall and will this make any impact other than eat up funds we could use elsewhere? Is there a good example of how this investment in a Cornish history has made any change for us in Cornwall? Looking at places like Liskard and Redruth It is hard to see how any of this helps the people that live there.

• Truro_Kernow  |  October 14 2012, 9:25PM

I am Cornish not English. I am not a Bard but I speak Cornish. My children speak it as do some of their friends. I am pleased that my children's school teach the language. My children are Cornish not English as is my wife. Both are parents are Cornish as were theirs. I am a working taxpayer and glad that my taxes are being spent in this way. My wife also works We have no desire to be English. On every official document, we record ourselves as Cornish. My European model passport says I hold British citizenship. I fill out any forms in Cornish as is my right. England is not Cornwall. Cornwall is not England. Cornwall is Cornwall as Wales is Wales and Scotland is Scotland (and soon to be free to run itself apparently) I do not support England sports teams. I and my family are not alone. This is our right enshrined in law.

• Bjones  |  October 15 2012, 8:21AM

Poor old Salmond's days are nearly over, once he gets the vote he will have nothing left. As for a Cornish language, I refer to Hithere comment for the perfect answer

• youngcornwall  |  October 15 2012, 9:03AM

@Truro_Kernow It is good you and your family are not suppressed in anyway shape or form, you have a big enough job as it is convincing others without those who think the same way as you, talking about ridiculous genocide and the likes.

• Truro_Kernow  |  October 15 2012, 12:15PM

I don't need to convince anyone 'Young Cornwall' and as regards 'ridiculous genocide', I have no idea what you are talking about! Kernow bys vyken!

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!