Login Register

Discussion

“Cornwall with Caroline Quentin began on ITV last night.
It was the first of an eight-part series featuring the actress 'discovering' Cornwall during summer 2011.
The 30 minute programme touched on food, wine-making, surfing and tourism, although questions have been raised as to its advertorial feel.
Caroline also managed to refer to Whitsand Bay as being an 'undiscovered corner'.
If you missed it, it's on ITV Player here: http://tinyurl.com/83s6upk
We had a huge response to the programme on our Facebook (facebook.com/thisiscornwall) and Twitter (twitter.com/thisiscornwall) pages.
On Facebook Rebecca Bulcraig said "to quote a friend it was a bit like a 'wall-to-wall infomercial', great PR for those involved and Visit Cornwall but I would have liked to have seen a bit more about the real Cornwall, history, legends as well as new businesses. Hopefully we'll see more of that in the future episodes."
Robert Catanzaro argued "give it a chance, our County really needs all the quality publicity it can get, our economy is very dependent on visitors. We are in a tourist trade war with the rest of Europe. It's light entertainment, not a in depth Panorama documentary. More like this please."
On Twitter David Parkin said "I love Cornwall but this programme is a clumsy advertorial and lacks heart."
Sue Evans said "Caroline Quentin prog like an advert for travel board. I bet they won’t come to Penzance town and see all the closed shops".
What did you think of 'Cornwall with Caroline Quentin?”

By Jo_Wood Posted: January 03, 2012

122 comments

122 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • Lafrowda  |  January 03 2012, 10:21AM

A Cornwall without any Cornish. The old boy crabbing might have given it a bit of reality if he had been allowed to open his mouth. Caroline Quentin obviously knew as much about Cornwall as I know about Mali. Which is, as the yanks say "squat"

• Barvdu  |  January 03 2012, 12:02PM

Yet another TV programme showing a pretty, quaint and twee 'county', solely it seems for the benefit of the tourist industry. Nobody recognisable by their voice as being Cornish, just the usual nondescript middle-England patter which can be heard anywhere. And how many times did she refer to our land as 'county'? We do have a name - Cornwall, or better, Kernow, so why didn't she use it? I suppose it's the usual way outsiders look down upon Cornwall. I doubt very much if I shall bother to watch any of the other seven in the series, unless there is a vast improvement

• youngcornwall  |  January 03 2012, 1:01PM

by Barvdu "I suppose it's the usual way outsiders look down upon Cornwall." I would say it all depends on how one looks upon oneself that counts. Regarding outsiders looking down upon Cornwall, I have never heard anyone saying they are going up Cornwall for our holidays it is always down Cornwall, and they keep coming year after year, so the Cornish must be doing something right.

• Eddie_PZ  |  January 03 2012, 1:23PM

Pretty boring programme really and much the same as every other one that's been done on 'Cornwall'.

• StuTrev  |  January 03 2012, 1:45PM

I grew up in Cornwall but as with a lot of young people moved away for a career. I regularly go home to see my family and check this website to see whats happening. It amazes me every time to see how much people moan about, well pretty much everything. "We don't want a harbour development", "Rick Steins is just for tourists", and now "The word Cornwall wasnt used enough". Believe it or not, but a documentary showcasing Cornwall is not filmed for soley for the Cornish population. The demise of regional development agencies and their funding has seen substancial holes in budget for marketing. Cornwall is being given prime time advertisisng by way of the programme to stimulate an already exceptionally competitive market place. This is nothing but good. I really think some of my fellow Cornish could de well to have a bit more of an open outlook......or, just stop whinging!

• oldjamaica  |  January 03 2012, 2:19PM

patronising and dull woman ms.quinton.

• Doitdreckley  |  January 03 2012, 5:39PM

Dangerous stuff which will encourage in migration and higher house prices. What about stories on people already living and working here rather than 'lifestylers'.

• recluse52  |  January 03 2012, 5:44PM

OLike cornwall but the show is ****

• Feultonia  |  January 03 2012, 5:45PM

Cornwall has enough bad press, why has this programme being taken so negatively!? We rely on tourism as our strongest industry, and should aim to project a positive image of it wherever we can. I heartily agree with StuTrev above and agree with all the points he makes about why certain people must moan so much about something so positive for the Duchy!? Who would want our great corner of the country to be represented as full of drunken youths and poor and depressing, that would only serve to drive much-needed tourists away. I know we all breath a sight of relief in September when the crowds vanish and the beaches and towns are ours once more, but without tourism we would likely struggle waaayyyy more than a lot of us do already.

• Big_Ger  |  January 03 2012, 7:13PM

I thinks StuTrev has hit the nail on the head, this was not a program for locals but a great bit of advertising for the county. But maybe there is a market for the sort of program others here would wish. Why doesn't someone make a program on Penzance's boarded up shops, and other bad things in Cornwall? If they omitted to call our county a county then I'm sure there is an avid audience of misery guts in Cornwall who would lap it up! One can only wonder why program makers aren't keen to do this sort of thing!

• Slimslad  |  January 03 2012, 7:34PM

Some very predictable comments from the neo-Celts. I did expect, however, comments about using a "Cornish" crew for filming and replacing Caroline Quentin with a "real Cornish-woman"?

• creamT  |  January 03 2012, 9:02PM

This program was not the real Cornwall, just an advert to attract well off people to the County in the Summer Time, ok if you like and can afford that type of holiday. Not for me. The best of Cornwall is free, if you make the effort. I have walked around parts this magical County and the real beauty for me, is in its rugged coastline and meeting some real Cornish people in the drizzle. Brilliant. Will watch again, but just for the scenery.

• JGWAJ  |  January 04 2012, 9:57AM

I've stayed at the Limit Beach Hut in Holywell Bay which they featured last night - the info given by Unique Home Stays is misleading, as this hut is NOT on the beach, and you cannot see the water from the hut....it is very comfortable and luxurious, but took me, a fit 50 year old 20 minutes to walk to the water...I think it is wrong to call a building 20 minutes from the water a beach hut....as the name implies it is on the beach. Actually, it is on a golf course, so expect to be overlooked by golfers!! Not only this, but when I complained, (I cried when I arrived in disappointment, and the owner had seen me cry) the company were very unhelpful and dismissive of my complaint, and as far as I can tell, have not updated the website to make this clear to other holiday makers.

• elfa66  |  January 04 2012, 10:34AM

A decent idea, spoiled by the presenter who was attempting to promote herself, rather than, in this case, Cornwall. The first few minutes saw her on the cliffs facing the wind trying to read a map !. Come on, for goodness sake. How childish. More suited to "children's hour". Someone like Paul Heiney would have been more suitable. A proper Reporter, rather than some "actress" between jobs !.

• Slimslad  |  January 04 2012, 1:31PM

Thank you for that, "AnGof1955". Fairly typical.

• youngcornwall  |  January 04 2012, 4:05PM

by AnGof1955 "Now waiting for my ban, no wonder I no longer buy the West Britton." No you should be safe enough, do not get confused with other forums that operate a closed shop policy. Best to say what needs to be said without getting too personal I would say.

• Big_Ger  |  January 04 2012, 4:09PM

AnGof represents all that is wrong with Cornwall today. He abuses the site hospitality, contributes nothing towards the owners income, then whines when his abusive posts are removed that his "right of free speech" has been curtailed. If you do not like the West Briton, why not start your own paper AnGof? I'm sure amongst your type, as I said above, there is a market for a paper full of nothing but negativism, bad news, putting successful people down, deriding those who do not live in Cornwall but come here for a holiday, and so forth. Call it the "Mebyon Kernow Times."

• Big_Ger  |  January 04 2012, 5:39PM

Are you really a fifth columnist AnGof? As anyone reading you hectoring and ranting style here would be very much put off Cornish Nationalism. Now, please point out any lies I have posted. You cannot can you. Which again just proves what a hypocrite you and your type are.

• Big_Ger  |  January 04 2012, 5:41PM

Please quote any of my lies AnGof. You cannot. You are a hypocrite.

• AnGof1955  |  January 04 2012, 6:22PM

I'm sure amongst your type, as I said above, there is a market for a paper full of nothing but negativism, bad news, putting successful people down, deriding those who do not live in Cornwall but come here for a holiday, and so forth. Call it the "Mebyon Kernow Times."" There you go BIg_Ger, job done

• josdave  |  January 04 2012, 6:58PM

I like Caroline Quentin but that programme was awful. Apart from the fisherman who hardly spoke there was a pricey restaurant run by someone from Sussex and a very expensive holiday home. I reserve judgementr incase the following broadcasts are better but that was poor.

• Slimslad  |  January 04 2012, 7:04PM

I would like an example where I "abuse" anyone,AnGof1955? Then I will swiftly apologize.

• Slimslad  |  January 04 2012, 7:05PM

By the way, I did not have your abusive post removed.

• Big_Ger  |  January 05 2012, 10:18AM

Can someone please inform Angof what a "lie" is please. Obviously he hasn't a clue. I ask him for an example of one of the lies he accuses me of posting, and what does he come up with? This; "I'm sure amongst your type, as I said above, there is a market for a paper full of nothing but negativism, bad news, putting successful people down, deriding those who do not live in Cornwall but come here for a holiday, and so forth. Call it the "Mebyon Kernow Times." Can someone explain how this is a "lie"? With people like AnGof fighting for Cornish Nationalism, we're on a winner it will never succeed!

• HannahJones  |  January 05 2012, 11:43AM

Get over yourselves, all you squabblers. As for "showing Penzance's boarded up shops", why would they do that on a programme clearly designed to make Cornwall look great? Be realistic. Incidentally, if you have been anywhere outside Cornwall lately, you'll see that Penzance's shops are faring no worse than those in places elsewhere in the country of a similar type.

• Hanky_Spanky  |  January 05 2012, 6:02PM

I thought this programme was just superficial tripe. The presentation lacked any kind of charisma and resorted to a few easy stereotypes. Irritating too that a fishing story seemed to be centred on finding the shortest fisherwoman in Cornwall and the group of women with the holiday lettings business were subjected to questions about their height and physical appearance. Boring and idiotic, first and last time for everything.

• AnGof1955  |  January 06 2012, 11:27AM

"I'm sure amongst your type, as I said above, there is a market for a paper full of nothing but negativism, bad news, putting successful people down, deriding those who do not live in Cornwall but come here for a holiday, and so forth. Call it the "Mebyon Kernow Times." Can someone explain how this is a "lie"? Simple Big_Ger, this post of yours is not true in any way. Not true = Lie. Also the link you make between your lies and MK is disgusting.

• Taxman100  |  January 06 2012, 3:23PM

Like it or loath it, there is an old saying, "no publicity is bad publicity", and I think it is true in this case as the programme promotes Cornwall! Or, would you prefer it if we just waved our little St. Piran's flags and only promoted, 'Cornwall for the Cornish'?

• Big_Ger  |  January 06 2012, 3:36PM

Obviously your grasp of the English language is rather poor. "Not true" does not equal "lie". The opposite of true is false. To lie one has to make a declaration knowing it to be untrue, I believe every word in my post to be true. You have not proved any known falsity on my behalf, therefore your claim that I lie is without any substantiation whatsoever. If someone makes a declarative statement in all honesty, it is not "lying". Therefore as you have singularly failed to point out any untruth in my statement, you have only weakened your position further. Well done. Please continue to post your ignorant, ill informed and clueless views here. You do far more to undermine the nationalist cause than I could ever hope to do!

• Hanky_Spanky  |  January 06 2012, 7:10PM

I'm new on here but does anyone else find it tiresome when armchair warriors fill up threads with personal bickering and sniping? I was enthusiastic as I logged on to find how many new comments there were.

• Slimslad  |  January 06 2012, 7:15PM

Fear not, "Hanky_Spanky". "Angof1955" is the latest incarnation of a very familiar individual. Who should know better, in my opinion, considering his public face.

• AnGof1955  |  January 07 2012, 11:36AM

Another post deleted :-) ah well what can one expect where morally barren People post on the website of a morally barren Publishing Group. Typical of the Human Race, so caught up in its greed and stupidity, rushing towards it's end by it's own making. It is not the masses throughout History, that have made change for the better. Change for the better was made by those very few and rare people who were different. Humanity has lost sight of what life really is about and in it's arrogance it has set about it's own destruction. Like jesus in the Desert, the whispers of Satan ring about us every day, the lies of the right wing perpetuated by the likes of this site. The Earth is like a Garden rich and diverse, the likes of Big_Ger and Slimslad would have but only one flower in their Garden.

• Slimslad  |  January 07 2012, 12:22PM

One flower, perhaps. But all my capital letters would be used correctly.

• youngcornwall  |  January 07 2012, 2:44PM

@AnGof1955 It would be a very boring world if we all thought the same. I strongly recommend you go on that other forum, it will be the closest you will get to what you are looking for, if you like a closed shop set up that is. I have asked before without any joy, so I try again. by youngcornwall January 05 2012, 2:37PM AnGof I have always considered myself as Cornish, and have never encountered any restrictions on doing so. Perhaps if you could explain what difficulties you have had, and any one else you know that have had problems, we might then be getting a little closer to understanding who or what we should be fighting.

• Slimslad  |  January 07 2012, 5:23PM

"Slimslad, it's People like you that make me think that Pol Pot might of had the right idea."? I will not be drawn by your poisonous comment, "AnGof1955". Your comment, however, shows just the level you will descend to. I would advise you to get professional help.

• Slimslad  |  January 07 2012, 7:31PM

"Tourism is only 11% of Cornwall's GDP(Office of Statistics) but causes many problems." http://tinyurl.com/cqrp6l 11%? No...

• Stimpson4  |  January 09 2012, 8:18PM

Utter garbage .... Cornwall with Caroline is An advert for a UK based wine producer and an estate agency... Such a shame, it could have been a lovely opportunity to view a beautiful county. Instead, a sales pitch for 2 businesses..... So far.

• homerjay  |  January 09 2012, 10:42PM

...Disappointing to be kind, awful to be honest. Next week I expect to be at 'The Beach' at Carlyon bay touting bijou apartments sur la mer. Move on, nothing to see here.

• Hanky_Spanky  |  January 10 2012, 12:21AM

Wasn't going to watch it again but decided to give the second episode a chance. Sadly no better though and it's two strikes and you are out. Even if someone knows NOTHING about Cornwall it is still a disservice because it will teach them stereotyped views and cliches. If this show ever goes on the road I suggest Caroline stays safely within the M25 London Orbital car park.

• Fistral20  |  January 10 2012, 7:57AM

Agree Hanky Spanky (great name!). Being a very frequent visitor to Cornwall I was looking forward to this series. However, from the first two episodes, and Caroline Quentin's monotonous voice, it's become extremely tedious already. The second episode featured the same businesses/people as the first (father and daughter/Camel Valley) and it's clear they're going to be going back to them later in the series as well, so this is hardly going to be groundbreaking stuff. Quentin's tones are quite patronising at times, as if she's been transported to a magical land (which I suppose Cornwall is to an extent), but she goes all starry eyed when she considers herself to have made new friends with the cafe owners in Helford. They've hardly shown any of the fantastic scenery to date, even though that was a significant part of the introduction to episode 1, so I'm not holding my breath for episodes 3-8.

• Jo_Wood  |  January 10 2012, 9:57AM

I didn't see it last night -was it any better?

• ArrowOfTruth  |  January 10 2012, 10:34AM

I thought the woman running the cafe in Helford was very droll when she described visitors from London as 'foreigners'. Talk about insular... People actually from other countries must be the equivalent of Martians to her!

• jenny1963  |  January 10 2012, 12:26PM

Was so looking forward to this series sharing the beauty of Cornwall and it's people. Unfortunately after episode two I think we can all see that the programme is just a promotional tool for the Tourist board and a few select business ventures. Opportunities have been missed to show the true beauty of this wonderful land and replaced with repetitive ramblings. Shame such a fantastic opportunity has been lost. Caroline failed with her trip to India and has done the same again. She is very over familiar and to be honest here patter is from the school of the 'bleeding obvious'. Grew up in Cornwall and work in TV so cannot understand the poor research into this and can only come to the conclusion that this must have been heavily sponsored to have such poor content. The production company who made this claim on their website: Cornwall with Caroline Quentin Episode 3 TXs Monday 16th January at 8pm on ITV1 10-01-2012 Cornwall, a new eight-part observational documentary series featuring Caroline Quentin, sees her take in some of the delights of this beautiful and rugged county, over the course of a Cornish summer. Each episode includes stories about life in some of the county's most scenic towns and villages and features characters from its communities. This week, one of Cornwall's most iconic landmarks St Michael's Mount comes alive for its annual Pirate Day celebrations, village barmaid Lucy feels the nerves ahead of a gig at her local pub and Caroline drops in on a secret culinary hideaway on the Roseland Peninsula, to help serve the hungry tourists. Watch the show on Monday 16th January at 8pm on ITV1. After reading that I am sorely tempted to record and watch at my own leisure with the sound down to drown out her pointless & patronising commentary

• Fistral20  |  January 10 2012, 12:59PM

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Jenny. It looks as if this series is going to be all about a few businesses getting maximum publicity for very little cost. So far we've seen nothing of this "beautiful and rugged county", and I doubt very much if we will.

• Cornishlady24  |  January 10 2012, 4:30PM

So disappointed in this programme, seems to be an advert for a select few businesses. Where's the REAL Cornwall? Beautiful scenery, coast lines, and geniune Cornish people? When I first started watching last night's episode thought it was a repeat og last weeks!

• mysaffronbun  |  January 10 2012, 6:24PM

Hello, I agree with the above- its just publicity for a couple of business in Cornwall. The county has so much more interesting stuff going on and people that would benefit from the PR. I'm Cornish, live out of the County due to work and have a simple blog on all things Cornish. It's a bit tongue and cheek some of it but it's just an alternative look at Cornwall and all things Cornish. Therefore if you would like to have a look please visit http://tinyurl.com/897enof and please leave some comments or email me some good Cornish success stories to put on my blog.

• sightsear  |  January 10 2012, 7:47PM

Could have been a great informative programe.Unfortunatly it is a complete waste of time not telling us any thing about cornwall or the cornish ,it seems to revolve around a vineyard,cafe and some dire women running a "posh letting service".I really hoped to hear about some cornish history e.g the fishing and minning industries and to see more of the stunning scenery that the southwest is so well known for .I will just have to keep visiting like i have been doing for the last forty years!!.

• josdave  |  January 10 2012, 10:54PM

I have just seen the second episode and it was just as bad as the first. Absolutely no resemblance to the real Cornwall, which is what I thought it was promoting, at all.

• Slimslad  |  January 11 2012, 7:23AM

I have to say, there was a disappointing "sameness" about Episode 2. Camel Valley Winery, posh birds from the posh letting agency, the fisher-woman 's from the first episode doing her Summer job. Quentin's version of "Wish You Were Here" and "Groundhog Day".

• DuporthBob  |  January 12 2012, 8:19PM

Barvdu. How will you know if there's a vast improvement in the program if you not watching it? Perhaps the lack of Cornish accents is because not all Cornish have one these days or they've all left the county (sorry Kernow) to make their fortune.

• cweatherhill  |  January 15 2012, 1:24PM

Cornwall for luvvies. A shallow series, with shallow content, by shallow people, for shallow people.

• robbo2009  |  January 15 2012, 11:05PM

It's just TV guys, just TV.

• samwinters  |  January 16 2012, 10:15AM

Laurence Reed on BBC radio Cornwall had a phone in about this on Friday 13th Jan (1.30 onwards- you can listen via i-player) and they spoke to a local cottage owner at West Cornwall Cottage Holidays as well as Malcolm Bell from Visit Cornwall. Both made very interesting points that whilst it's great to have a primetime show made about our lovely county, the research lacked a bit (as Jenny 1963 stated in previous posts) and doesn't really give any kind of insight into the wider range of people who visit Cornwall and those who are in Cornwall. Check it out as it sums up many of the comments above in a more constructive manner!

• samwinters  |  January 16 2012, 10:16AM

Laurence Reed on BBC radio Cornwall had a phone in about this on Friday 13th Jan (1.30 onwards- you can listen via i-player) and they spoke to a local cottage owner at West Cornwall Cottage Holidays as well as Malcolm Bell from Visit Cornwall. Both made very interesting points that whilst it's great to have a primetime show made about our lovely county, the research lacked a bit (as Jenny 1963 stated in previous posts) and doesn't really give any kind of insight into the wider range of people who visit Cornwall and those who are in Cornwall. Check it out as it sums up many of the comments above in a more constructive manner!

• maswep  |  January 16 2012, 7:43PM

Well from my perspective someone from Cornwall who is living outside the county to work and would dearly love to come hone with my family. This programe is OK and to qualify that it shows of some of the natural beuty of the county but is flmed in a way that does seem like a holiday brochure. Its fine for what it is but is only helping prop up an unsastainable source of income. Its not the intention of this programe to show industial developement in Camborne its not its intention to highlight what Cornwall needs is serious business investment to create year round sustainable jobs. It does however show the idilyc perception of life in Cornwall that brings the Londoners back year after year. Teachers Rating "Try Harder Next Time"

• OggyLover  |  January 21 2012, 11:57PM

What about episode 3 ? At least the guy on St Michael's Mount had something about him.

• sjske1974  |  January 23 2012, 8:55PM

I come from Looe originally and I watched the first couple of episodes with interest (and told many other people to watch, which they did); I thought that any exposure that Cornwall could get would be great. This programme is truly awful, I couldn't bring myself to watch beyond Episode 2 until this evening when I thought I'd give it another go. I've just seen the first ten minutes of this evening's episode and it's so bad I feel compelled to write this. I've been berated by countless people for having told them to watch it. It's just a poor quality, lazily thrown together informercial hosted by a painfully hammy Caroline Quentin. This programme looks like the kind of infomercial that would would have appeared on "I'm Alan Partridge." It would have been better going the whole hog and wheeling out Judith Chalmers. If you are one of the lucky recipients of the endless plugs that litter each episode, great. Otherwise it does nothing to sell Cornwall to neutrals that may consider coming on holiday. It is all too easy to pick holes and whinge at people's attempts to do something good.......but it could have been done so much better. It doesn't capture the true flavour of Cornwall at all and, in fact, I know it has turned many people off by being force-fed commercial information. I don't know who commissioned this but they have missed a golden opportunity to show the best of what Cornwall has to offer during a Prime Time spot on a major channel. How much did this mess of a TV programme cost and for what benefit? It's a massive miss. I won't watch it again and nor will anyone else I've told to watch it.

• Tedrux64  |  January 24 2012, 6:37AM

The Cornish constantly bleat on about second homers invading their precious County, but behold on Caroline Quentin's Cornwall last night, a local estate agent in Mousehole, was flogging property to "up country folk" for them to let it out as a holiday let... double standards or what!! Well I keep forgetting, after all, this is the land on "brown envelopes".

• Lafrowda  |  January 24 2012, 10:17AM

I suspect that the kind who would be attracted to Caroline Quentins Cornwall will not be seen in St Just.

• Slimslad  |  January 24 2012, 2:28PM

"A local estate agent in Mousehole, was flogging property to "up country folk" for them to let it out as a holiday let". I saw that, but don't worry, the couple were from Northern Ireland, so their allowed. Celts, you see. Same tribe.

• youngcornwall  |  January 24 2012, 2:42PM

@Lafrowda I don't know so much. Not now St Just are going to have monthly film shows. What next? http://tinyurl.com/6sn5u3l

• linda4332  |  January 24 2012, 7:18PM

Having now watched a few episodes I cant think of a worse programme -just an advert for a few businesses.Expected more-used to live in the county so really was loking forward. Now any one seen the Michael Portillo railway journeys on BBC2-well put together and does a much better job. By the way can anyone remember the pre westcountry TV series on walking the coastal path

• Lafrowda  |  January 24 2012, 8:15PM

St Just used to have film shows back in the 50s I will have you know.

• poldice  |  January 24 2012, 10:01PM

We may as well not exist... however... inconvienient as it may seem to them a few of us still do... and none of "they" will ever be "one of "we". Sit tight my ansomes... forgive them for they know not what they do... we are the lucky ones... we were born here and they cannot take that away from us.

• youngcornwall  |  January 25 2012, 9:06AM

by Lafrowda "St Just used to have film shows back in the 50s I will have you know." Which included a Saturday afternoon matinee don't forget.

• Big_Ger  |  January 25 2012, 10:05AM

"we were born here and they cannot take that away from us." You are right, no one can take away the location of your birth, every single man woman and child on the planet can claim that. But it's all the nationalists seem to have "achieved" in their lives!

• youngcornwall  |  January 25 2012, 4:37PM

by Big_Ger "But it's all the nationalists seem to have "achieved" in their lives!" Not so much of "achieved", more to do with fate I would say, where they were born, plus you do not have to be born in the county to be a nationalist a councillor or anything like that, good isn't it.

• Taxman100  |  January 26 2012, 5:05PM

Youngcornwall. Spot on! Fate can sometimes deal a rotten hand. Perhaps, that is why the Cornish Nationalist and MK need the help of Plaid Cymru. A political analyst recently suggested Plaid's problem was the Welsh language - only about 35% of those who live in Wales speak Welsh, and a high percentage of those rarely use it. The Plaid website is predominantly written in Welsh, and they use the language at all of their general meetings. So, how can they be successful when nobody knows what they talking about - ditto the 'Cornish Celts'!

• youngcornwall  |  January 26 2012, 5:41PM

by Taxman100 "Youngcornwall. Spot on! Fate can sometimes deal a rotten hand." I go along with that Taxman100. When I was at school I was told repeatedly if you do not do well at school you will end up under ground over Geevor or farming, well I couldn't get a job over Geevor at the time but I did end up farming for a while. I soon came to realise that the hand that fate dealt me was not that good.

• DillCotts  |  January 30 2012, 8:51PM

Cornwall, with Caroline Quentin. This broadcast is a complete disgrace. It is not about Cornwall at all. It's just a hook using Cornwall's good name to air cheap plugs for the producers friends or anyone who'll split profits or pay backhanders for the inclusion. I absolutely hate it, the presenter know nothing about Cornwall. It's poorly in the extreme. Please make it go away.

• MarySSJ  |  February 05 2012, 11:55AM

"The presenter know nothing about Cornwall. It's poorly in the extreme. Please make it go away". DillCotts at least learn Basic English before attempting to dress down others. All your comment does is to continue the negative stereotype of the Cornish as being on even Footings as Hillbillies. All TV is mind rot to silence those with nothing to amuse themselves; there is no deep meaning or value just ways of expiring one's own time on this planet. No real Cornish person could be threatened by such a TV program and I suspect those that moan would do a much worse job were they to try and create such a programme covering such a vast subject which could fill the entire schedule were it ever attempted, though the truth would highlight just another English county with dramatic Coastlines and a small group of remnants moaning about everything and anything whilst doing nothing.

• Slimslad  |  February 05 2012, 4:18PM

"DillCotts at least learn Basic English before attempting to dress down others." "Footings"? (No capital letter needed). "program"? (is an American spelling. "Programme") "Coastlines?, (No capital needed).

• Slimslad  |  February 05 2012, 4:55PM

Sorry! "Basic", (No capital needed). "small group of remnants" is a strange phrase. It is English, however.

• MarySSJ  |  February 06 2012, 8:06AM

Arguing with anonymous northerners about Cornish affairs almost always ends up being a fool's game as they always turn out to be unemployed self-righteous losers with infinitely more time to waste seeking attention than forwarding meaningful debate

• Lady_bird  |  February 06 2012, 1:33PM

I wonder how many people are now going to upsticks and live in Cornwall, the programme shows beautiful scenery and looks like a perfect lifestyle - life in the sun, on the beach, plenty of money etc. Unforntunately this is not a realistic view of Cornwall, there are many many people on the minimum wage, jobs are scarce, to buy your own house is just a dream as the house prices are so high, thousands on the housing register. The programme did not show the closed down shops in town centres or run down areas. The programmee seemed to turn a blind eye and promoted an idyllic lifestyle for the rich.

• JAM1989  |  February 06 2012, 1:39PM

complete rubbish.

• Slimslad  |  February 06 2012, 7:16PM

"Arguing with anonymous northerners"? Was that directed at me,"MarySSJ"? How do you pronounce that surname of yours? Sausage, is it?

• mancgas46  |  February 07 2012, 3:54PM

our village took part and has featured in the programme quite a lot. Forget Quinten she was here for all of 4 days and just did bits to camera with the other people not even meeting the person they were speaking to. We were promised a vist three times but film schedules over ran, and looks like we didnt miss much. The production crew were however great and spent many hours getting to know how it all ticked here - shame they didnt find a cornish person to host it and it wouldnt seem so "false". However the cornish born and bred people who featured in our segments have done well out of it and it will bring much needed income to the community. People who were not really bothered about village life also became aware of what was going on, and that has continued long past the cameras leaving which has alos to be a positive. We certainly dont regret taking part, but on the whole it could and should have been so much better and more coverage of the 12 months a year life down here would have given a more balanced view than the wish you were here version thats resulted.

• mancgas46  |  February 07 2012, 4:00PM

PS No one here knew the production team, we certainly didnt apply to be in anything, not have any of the individuals involved paid or been given any finacial rewards! The production team did their research and chose what they wanted to cover. I know they shot hundreds of hours of stuff over many days in our village which would have been better than the sweet stuff which ended up in the finished programme. Nothing to do with the people who came here, just the London editors and gushing presentation (which to be fair to Quinten is obviously very heavily scripted)

• WelshMountain  |  February 13 2012, 9:28PM

If this programme is supposed to help tourism then why does it not show more of the county and its wonderful places to visit and enjoy? Repetition about one single campsite, a vinery and a rental agency dealing only the luxury accommodation does not give a real or balanced impression to a potential visitor. Cornwall has a wonderful range of accommodation for all spending levels. Tonight for example, the programme started its broadcast with Caroline Quentin on the quay in St Mawes - great I thought, I lived there for 17 years, will be lovely looking at it again, but then, nothing. That was it until the end when she wound up the programme sitting above Tavern Beach. And very little sign of Cornish residents either. I can sympathise that any coverage is better than nothing at all, but we are commenting here on the quality of this programme, and this could have been so much better. I am glad that the village of "mancgas46" has had a benefit from it, but this programme is a lost opportunity. Whoever chose the footage and wrote Quentin's script did not do a very good job. I find her presentation style smug, patronising and irritating, but that may be just me. Maybe the footage that the crew filmed and was not used could be put together into something that would open this county to more appreciating visitors. with a different presenter who is more informed. Cornwall is a wonderful and magical place - and although we had to leave some 26 years ago to find work, I still think of it as home.

• cornishqueeni  |  February 16 2012, 9:06PM

Well done to the BBC who have managed to show more of the real Cornwall and far more interesting stories in one episode of Great British Countryside compared to the whole series of Cornwall by Caroline Quentin

• Alistairtruro  |  February 17 2012, 9:37PM

What a dreadfully boring programme. I turned over!

• dikips  |  February 18 2012, 2:09PM

We go to Cornwall 4/5 times a year.We have a campervan and love everything about it.We watched this programme expecting to see local people telling interesting stories or showing us how to make local cornish goods and foods etc.All we saw were a few of Quentins bessy mates advertising their posh businesses.Not once but every week!!The woman who moved to Cornwall and bought a campsite in Portscatho is very fortunate to have such commercial advertising.Also the 2 posh women with their upmarket letting agency and the estate agent in Mousehole has had free advertising air time.We shop at local shops and markets and were hoping to find some unknown treasures.We only continue to watch this product placement of a programme to see the beautiful scenery and hope to catch a glance of a Cornish person born and bred!!!You learn more about Cornwall while watching Doc Martin!!! Caroline Quentin's Cornwall is Money making drivel......

• vockered  |  February 18 2012, 2:46PM

Don't you just love the ongoing petty arguments between the "dyed in the wool" Cornish nationalists and those "Northerners" from anywhere the other side of the Tamar.

• Gurnards_Head  |  February 18 2012, 9:20PM

There is a little gadget called an off switch, having seen an episode of Ms Quentins drivel that was the answer, it was cringe inducing. Its a funny thing that many of us proud of our birthplace and heritage are often branded nationalists, I find that mildly offensive as I feel I am merely a most priveliged custodian of my birthplace which is unique and irreplaceable. We have settlements that occured for a purpose be it mining or fishing or china clay each different but united by a common thread St Agnes, St Day, St Just, Newlyn, St Dennis centres of industry and innovation, the cradle of the industrial revolution, Peranzabuloe and St Pirans Oratory the cradle of Christianity on the British mainland, these places must be looked after. I am proud of my roots and traditions, sometimes concerned by the way they get diluted by the increasing numbers who just do not value what they have by encouraging overdevelopment or unsuitable development in the mad dash for growth at any cost. I am even more fortunate that I have been able to remain here and quietly prosper when so many of my forebears were forced to migrate to the four corners of the Earth or face starvation. This land has nurtured me and provided for my family, that will not change if 50 Caroline Quentins witter on interminably or a million incomers try to edge me out but I am still not a bitter twisted nationlist, just proud and thankful to be who I am. I will stay put come what may in spite of the ******s for they do not understand what harm they may be doing, they are to be pitied rather than blamed because they think they can buy a slice of heaven the same as they can buy the latest car or must have iphone the poor misguided fools. In spite of all the depressing things that are always highlighted by the doomongers I know that Cornwall has a great future, it will change, it is inevitable, but those who manage that change must remember where we have come from for unless they do no one will have a clue where we are headed.

• homerjay  |  February 18 2012, 11:09PM

Why does it sycophantically regurgitate freebie ads for her well heeled mates? This 'programme' is a good reason to cherish the quality of the BBC

• KernowForward  |  February 19 2012, 10:08AM

Hey Gurnard's Head - do you think you could support nationalists that weren't 'bitter and twisted'?

• Alistairtruro  |  February 19 2012, 10:57AM

Gurnards_Head that is an almost poetic posting and my wife who is as Cornish as they come agrees with what you have said all the way.

• josdave  |  February 19 2012, 4:39PM

It is an awful programme and if I did not live in Cornwall I would not be tempted by that as there were very few real people in it and even less Cornish people.

• Fistral20  |  February 20 2012, 1:36PM

Correct cornishqueeni, the BBC showed more of real Cornwall in one hour than the drivel ITV has shown over the last 7 weeks. Considering Quentin keeps banging on about her roots and the amount of time she spends there, I found it rather surprising that she got so excited about her vist to St Michaels Mount, except it then transpired she'd never ben there in her life before! This series has been free advertising and nothing more, it'll be interesting to hear what she says about Newquay tonight....

• jenny1963  |  February 20 2012, 2:20PM

Have to agree with Cornishqueenie & Fistral20 the BBC programme was a breath of fresh air. It was beautifully shot and obviously researched well and put together. Learnt new things which is always a bonus and looking forward to the remainder of their series.

• Gurnards_Head  |  February 20 2012, 2:46PM

Hey is that a leading question KernowForward? I am Cornish born and educated but have Irish and Jewish ancestors so I am a bit of a mongrel if Cornishness is defined by pure genetics which is edging on very dodgy ground so lets not go there. Cornwall is a place that is different in mindset and culture set apart from England but a part of Britain which I have no problem with, some native Cornish leave a bit to be desired thinking all that is needed is to eat pasties and shout oggy oggy oggy while their apathy guarantees that acceptance of the mediocre becomes an art form. I have a theory that the best brains went with the migrations taking their talents with them, life went on in Kernow but the drive was gone, over the years the introspection set in as people were ground down by poverty which is always the enemy. Us baby boomers have had relatively easy times insofar that work, in my case farming mining and fishing before branching out on my own, was always available if we wanted it but I have spent much of my life being told why things could not be done, people of that mindset are a serious part of the problem, they portray and contribute to lacklustre performance at all levels. I have never accepted that line, with enthusiasm and determination virtually anything is posssible, however Kernows development has been hijacked by the greedy and the short termists who only want quick profits without thought for roots or culture. Cornwall is a powerful brand instantly reconised everywhere but until recently few have capitalised on our unique selling points all too often it has been left to savvy incomers to reap the rewards which were there for the taking all along by everyone. What worries me is the dilution this brings, our children in most cases have largely lost their wonderful accents which used to define the very town they belonged to, they have not to any degree been taught pride in their place and like the former migrations the brightest leave many never to return. If things were just slightly different they would never need to leave their place of birth which should be more than capable of providing all the opportunity and nurture they need but the will of those who could make a difference is simply not there. In answer to your question I am a Nationalist insofar that I always fight for where I truly belong which is HERE but I do this by working hard providing well paid employment and contributing to local life in every way that I can. What I do not see is my Kernow as an independent enclave looking in on itself, a tiny isolated place ruled by incompetent psuedo councillors working hand in glove with greedy developers out for growth AT ANY COST selling our souls to the highest bidders who seek to overwhelm a demoralised impoverished indiginous population. Mass inward migration has no place we need homes for our own children not affluent lifestyle buyers waving a cheque book at their slice of heaven, there are plenty of hotels to cater for their needs. I COULD GO ON BUT I HAVE NO WISH TO WRITE A BOOK!!!

• Jo_Wood  |  February 20 2012, 4:44PM

@cornishqueeni and others in agreement - I completely agree. Great British Countryside was brilliant and managed what ITVs fluffy version never managed - it got to the grit of the county - how it formed, why it looks feels and behaves as it does. I learned something almost every 10 minutes for an hour. I only wish every episode was about the Westcountry!

• barrtribe  |  February 20 2012, 10:15PM

I think the program is great; cornwall is my home and it made me want to visit all the places again, this county of ours is awesome and beautiful all at once. Some say its aimed at the people with money. Are they not the people we want to come and continue to spend the 6 million they bring into the county. There are plenty of other programs saying what is **** in the county. Look at the news everyday. Its a refreshing change to see the beauty of the place we call home.

• KernowForward  |  February 21 2012, 12:28AM

Thank you for your reply Gurnard's Head. If you ever feel the need to become more politically active you should approach MK. Despite what the detractors say, you have fairly much summed up the MK outlook.

• Gurnards_Head  |  February 21 2012, 11:29AM

Thank you Alastairtruo I mean what I say there is no room for bitterness. we must work with the material we are given, the best in respect of our land but often sadly lacking in the mindset of many of our people who have by their sheer apathy allowed things to get so bad. The biggest single threat we face is uncontrolled inward migration which will be given free rein by a proposed series of massive speculatory housing development especially around Truro which is already overdeveloped. The proposed developments simply cannot be absorbed without destroying the cultural fabric of Kernow, what is needed are real jobs paying decent wages for doing something worthwhile not more tin shed retail operations or call centres paying minimum wages for soul destroying work. We need houses for those who belong here at prices they can afford not endless lifestyle homes that merely detract from our unique community spirit, those who want to share our good fortune are welcome but they should stay in hotels which would generate employment and demand for goods and services. Politicians and councillors have got away with murder ostensibly in our names for too long because so many voters have failed to engage with the democratic process which has bred fertile conditions for lazy feckless clients of the state, this has now come home to roost and we are all paying a massive price.

• Softmachine  |  February 21 2012, 12:19PM

Cornwall with Caroline Quentin ? Typical ITV really, superficial drivel fronted by a 'celebrity' it would be really embarrassing to put it up against a Cornish episode of Coast fronted by Neil Oliver!

• homerjay  |  February 22 2012, 2:01PM

Hopefully, Kernow King will be on Radio Cornwall sometime on the Friday phone in (from 12 to 3) for his take on Quentin's Cornwall. 'Ees sum bleddy boy....http://tinyurl.com/8x3xwtk

• DuporthBob  |  February 22 2012, 2:51PM

Well I loved it!

• poldice  |  February 22 2012, 10:23PM

I would imagine you did Bob... just up your street... nice easy viewing.

• Gurnards_Head  |  February 22 2012, 11:10PM

Yew Kernow King thats a proper andsome dressin gown with they there bright coloured stripes you got there boy! but I was bravem worried you were gain to chack on that pasty the way you was clunkin un back, that Maid Anne dont like small ones now do she now my gar. They there ITV varmints missed a bit of local colour when they got that there Caroline Quentin Maid mixed up with e cos the way you coddled Annie up you would have made a real fitty job of crakein to they two posh maids with big udders and transoms like Camaret Frenchmen that were letting they old titivated up bowjeys and skybers out to they posh emmets who got more money than sense,they little pair of brammers wudn av brushed e fore the door like Annie did, reckon they were otter than ***** mackerel.

• Big_Ger  |  February 23 2012, 9:42AM

All this talk of Cornwall being over-run, or over crowded is a bit silly though isn't it? Out of the list of the 90 metropolitan counties, non-metropolitan counties and unitary authorities of England, 78 have greater a population density than Cornwall. 5% of the UK is what is deemd "urban", less than 3% of Cornwall is urban. "What runs counter to what you see is the propaganda, unremitting and relentless, from the environmental and countryside lobbies, telling you that the UK is a small and crowded island and that within 30 years the last blade of grass in England will be concreted over. At the current rate of urbanisation, which is about 14,400 acres a year, England won't finally fall to "concretisation" for 2,014 years. Rural land is kept off the market by "green" land-use planning and exorbitant farm subsidies. An economically viable farm does not need subsidies. If merely the obviously uneconomic farmland was opened to the housing market, the cost of a new house would be cut by a third." Kevin Cahill http://tinyurl.com/4mr8cfk

• homerjay  |  February 23 2012, 10:09AM

Ansom bita Cornish there Gurnards Head and they say Cornish is dead? They're having a laugh....http://tinyurl.com/63q3szo BTW 2pm Friday

• Gurnards_Head  |  February 23 2012, 11:42AM

I do not think it is Big_Ger firstly we live on a narrow peninsula with basically one road in and one road out unless you want to go to Bude or Plymouth. The A30 is not all dual carriageway creating notorious bottlenecks which cause frustrating delays on an increasingly regular basis which at the very least gives a poor initial impression to our visitors who having cruised effortlessly for 3 or 4 hours only to face an hours delay a few miles from their destination. Add to this the cost burdens imposed on hauliers of often perishable produce from our farms and fishing boats being delivered to supermarkets in strict time slots and the true cost of this inadequacy of basic infrastructure really starts to bite but the final straw is the higher accident rates caused by tired frustrated drivers taking silly risks to make up lost time. We have had several exchanges on this subject focussing on the Truro area which is a prime example of appalling planning standards and neglect of infrastructure over an extended period I find your attitude to these matters somewhat irresponsible and poorly thought through. It is my ABSOLUTE contention that no one should have a second home until every one in need has one home, like it or not a significant proportion of any new homes built will be second homes or for the economically inactive who add to already creaking health and social care networks. We need as many tourists as we can get, they are welcome and appreciated by the vast majority but there are hotels, B&B's, dedicated holiday lets, and campsites to accomodate them yet they have still occupied many places for a few weeks a year where for the rest of the time there are no lights in the windows, the pub has gone, the post office and shop has gone and the only place you can buy fuel for the car is at a supermarket on the outskirts of the nearest town. This is not what I want for my children and grandchildren, I will fight for them to be able to live in their home village which is a living breathing diverse community with a strong sense of purpose if that is what they wish. Those who dont mind unbridled urbanisation or the souless anonymity of some artificial dormitory estate have plenty of options in other parts of the UK, I respectfully suggest they engage an estate agent a solicitor and a removal man in order to gravitate in that direction, we would all be much better off without them. THIS IS CORNWALL NOT MILTON KEYNES OUR GREATEST ASSETS ARE OUR COAST AND COUNTRYSIDE WHOSE CHARACTER MUST BE PRESERVED AT ANY COST.

• poldice  |  February 23 2012, 12:14PM

Big_Ger it is good that this forum allows us freedom of expression alowing us to all have our say within reasonable limits, I think the original thread of this discussion was an ITV series fronted by the (in other circumstances quite likeable) Caroline Quentin. The series was pretty awful TV from the content perspective, lightweight, boring and twee are some descriptions that spring to mind. That will please and entertain some, outrage others and bore the majority to tears which was possibly the producers intention so that the commercial breaks were more interesting. Along the way the discussion of the series merits or otherwise appears to have morphed into yet another slanging match between rival factions who are probably never ever going to like or more significantly respect each others point of view so any further discussion is basically pointless. As a hopefully reasonably articulate committed Cornishman respecting your right to an opinion I do not wish to argue or fall out with you, I non-the-less feel you are very prejudiced, misguided and short sighted, I sincerely hope your warped vision of Cornwalls future direction never ever comes to pass.

• Big_Ger  |  February 23 2012, 6:43PM

Well I have to say poldice, that frankly to call someone "prejudiced, misguided and short sighted", is very insulting indeed. I have no comment to make on that program as I would not watch such tosh in the first place. I note however that though you say "I sincerely hope your warped vision of Cornwalls future direction never ever comes to pass." you have nothing to say on the actual facts I presented, and seem to have imagined I have presented a "vision of Cornwall" somewhere.

• poldice  |  February 23 2012, 8:09PM

Nothing personal Big_Ger but you have made statements on this thread and others supporting unwarranted developments that threaten to compromise open countryside that is irreplaceable. I never once said your sentiments were malign merely misguided and in the case of that Stadium they were prejudiced, I have a skin like a rhinoceros but some people making similar comments to mine may have felt quite intimidated by your responses when aligned with various other correspondents pushing similar viewpoints that were saying stadium at any cost. I also state that I wholeheartedly support the concept of a top notch stadium for Cornwall maybe even on the site that has caused such uproar but and it is a big one not at the price of being blackmailed by a developer using the offer as a bung to secure an immensly profitable planning permission for mass housing in a totally inappropriate unacceptable location. My criticism was of your apparent docile aquiesence to the inevitability of mass development on greenfield sites on the shaky premise that the loss of +14,000 acres per annum would be acceptable because there is plenty more where that came from, it is that very docility and resigned acceptance of what appears inevitable that gives oxygen to developers who are pushing their luck. I agree that it would generally be better to develop low grade land before high grade in principle however low grade land often supports the greatest concentrations of wildlife and conservationists would have something to say about that. Now what on earth has this lot got to do with good old boring lightweight Caroline Quentin anyway?

• Gurnards_Head  |  February 23 2012, 8:41PM

There are some words or combination of words that must set alarm bells ringing, eybrows raising and gastric juices flowing. 1 SPECULATOR... speculative... speculatory. 2 INVESTOR... speculative investor... speculatory investor. 3 DEVELOPER... Speculative development investor... speculatory development investor. When 3 of those words come together that is a very dangerous combination a good example would be the thankfully ill fated "The Beach" development at Crinnis which had it come off would have had our Caroline Quentin in raptures. Indeed the only remotely redeeming feature of "The Beach" would be that the tacky development of hundreds of "lifestyle" appartments would have concentrated hundreds of the blighters we dont really want in their own expensive ghetto, a similar thing which is actually occurring in Newquay but without denying any one access to beaches which is more acceptable if not very pretty. This ill fated get rich quick scheme was to be exclusive as in locals no longer welcome on their beach which must never be allowed to happen. Not all developments or developers are bad as such, Eden is a prime example of a stunning visionary development that has risen from a post industrial brownfield site, but even so it has had consequences for the locality which are inevitable as there are bound to be winners and losers, its a question of balance. Its the unforseen unintended consequences that are so very dangerous and often notoriously difficult to predict, in Caroline Quentins case it could be a new wave of aspiring second home owners who are not welcome at any price however much the speculative developers may salivate at the prospect. The bottom line is that any combination of the three key words should trigger the utmost vigilance amongst anyone likely to be affected by any such proposal.

• homerjay  |  February 25 2012, 10:50AM

You can listen to the debate on yesterdays Laurence Reed radio 'phone in (from 2 hours in) featuring Kernow King. Replay here...http://tinyurl.com/73h44la Quentin's Cornwall is exactly that, Quentin's Cornwall, not mine. Kernow King has approached the same production company to film his take on Cornwall which has been turned down. I suppose there's nothing in it for them just to plug Rowe's pasties is there?

• DuporthBob  |  February 25 2012, 10:30PM

Lets have more Quentin's Cornwall. I'd like to see another series.

• homerjay  |  February 25 2012, 10:56PM

Oh, hang on, Quentin and Bob's Cornwall, right up your cul de sac Bob. :-)

• DuporthBob  |  February 27 2012, 9:12AM

Each to their own. :-)) It amazes me that this is the most commented article on the thisiscornwall site!

• connorjoeamy  |  February 28 2012, 10:36AM

when i first saw this program advertised i was really looking forward to it as i love cornwall and have been many times. I was extremely dissappointed in the program, but i watched it every week hoping it would get better but unfortunately it didn't. She went to the same places over again which i found extremely irritating. If i had never visited cornwall this program would not have made me want to go. There are so many lovely places in cornwall to show, i just dont understand why they only went to about 3 places. The last episode was just a joke, there was nothing new about where she went or did. I also found Caroline Quentin very irritating which became a struggle to carry on watching the program.

• KernowCarl  |  March 04 2012, 5:03PM

I hate to say it, but if it had been left to the locals, Cornwall would still be living in the Victorian era (and not in a good way).

• Concerto  |  November 19 2012, 7:43PM

Having lived in Cornwall for a number of years, gone to school there and worked on a long-liner from one of Cornwall's busiest harbours, I was pleased to see this three hour DVD production "Cornwall with Caroline Quentin" available for purchase. Now resident in Duncan, British Columbia, I looked forward to awakening my memories of travels around that beautiful and interesting county. What a disappointment! The eight episodes and three hours are nothing more than a chat with a couple of restaurants, a real estate agent, a house rental agency, a winery and a camp ground with much of the material repeated in other episodes. There are a couple of interesting segments, the brief reference to the fishing activity, Prideaux Place and a short clip of St. Michael's Mount and Mousehole. The scenery is briefly displayed in the introduction, repeated with every episode, and short transitional shots without any reference to the location. If this is to be a documentary about Cornwall why is there no reference to the cathedral city of Truro, the central market town of St. Austell, the beautiful and major historical fishing village and harbour of Mevagissey, the cliff walk from that town to Gorran Haven, Caerhays Castle, Restormel Castle, the china clay industry, Bodmin Moor, Camborne and the historical tin mining industry, the May 1st. celebrations at Helston, the artist town of St. Ives with its Tate Gallery, the town of Fowey – home of the author Daphne du Maurier, the major fishing ports of Padstow and Newquay, the Eden Project at St. Blazey to name but a few. With so much beautiful scenery, interesting places and historical background available for a documentary how can this collection a "advertisements" be called a documentary of Cornwall? It does very little to show or educate the viewer about this part of England.

• PaddyTrembath  |  November 19 2012, 9:54PM

Concerto, 2 points, 1/ May 1st is Padstow, Helston is May 8th. 2/ This is Cornwall, not England.

• Concerto  |  November 20 2012, 8:45PM

1/ Thanks Paddy, wouldn't want to visit on the wrong day! 2/ Hmmm, does Cornwall not form part of England with all the other counties? Update me please.

• PaddyTrembath  |  November 20 2012, 11:28PM

Cornwall, administered AS a county of England, not IS a county of England.

• JJLee  |  November 21 2012, 7:36AM

Einstein sumed it up with Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Fistral20  |  November 21 2012, 7:52AM

Concerto - this was simply an ego trip for Caroline Quentin, who despite professing she'd been a regular visitor to Cornwall for many years, admitted she was visiting many of the places for the first time. Amazingly they've given her a second series, but Martin Clunes & Julia Bradbury made a 1 hour programme later this year which was streets ahead of the CQ series. I'd put the DVD on ebay if I was you, but don't expect to get much for it.

• PaddyTrembath  |  November 21 2012, 9:34AM

JJLee, not being sure about the former proves the latter.:-)

• Concerto  |  November 21 2012, 8:35PM

Thanks for the update everyone. Snow is at the 600 m level here and the temperature is dropping; bad news about the flooding your way, hope it dries up for you soon. Best wishes from Vancouver Island.

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!