Login Register

Discussion

“Celebrations of Cornwall's National Saint approaches!

Redruth this Saturday and a new play written by one of Kernow's premier academics on the towans at Perranporth this year!

Celebrate the National Saints Day and join the thousands who will! The Patron of tinners and now of all our Country!

Events listings here:

http://tinyurl.com/bex2fc5 (courtesy of An Daras)

Redruth events here:

http://tinyurl.com/azavwvn

More details about our National day here from Cornwall Tourism:

http://tinyurl.com/bpu8bv7

Information from Cornwall Council here (including educational material for schools)

http://tinyurl.com/4x7ex93

More about St. Piran - Cornwall's National Saint here:

http://tinyurl.com/2ks4wy (Wiki but reasonably accurate)

Remember, we have a record number of events and if any Cornish school child asks, most schools now grant this day off.

Degol Peran Lowen dheugh-why oll!”

By MapSerpren Posted: February 28, 2013

54 comments

54 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • MapSerpren  |  February 28 2013, 12:38PM

Celebrate Cornwall's National Saint! Our fellow Celtic Nation in Wales celebrates Dewi Sans on March 1st and several Welsh patriots will be joining us for our National day! Cornwall Council information on the use of Cornish at Piran tide: http://tinyurl.com/bpvaufy Degol Peran Lowen dheugh-why oll!

• CallingtonFox  |  February 28 2013, 4:47PM

Cornwall's 'national' saint is the same as England's as it is a part of said country.

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 28 2013, 5:08PM

the date picked at random so is the saint....the concept of nationhood is imaginary.....except for a small minority nobody ids as cornish....only 10% were born in the county...... Disney land has a longer pedigree and more authentic resume than this hobbled together psuedo celebration......it's only a free event as it would fail the trades description act.

• Carvath  |  February 28 2013, 5:53PM

You guys show clearly that you don't have a lot of respect for Cornwall or its heritage and culture. The terms Philistine, Chav and green eyed dinosaurs spring to mind. However, you'll see next week that the popularity of St Piran's Day has grown from a few processions/events in some centres to now being held in every major centre in the Duchy. Fortunately, your Archaean suppression of people's culture seems to be losing the battle

• MapSerpren  |  February 28 2013, 6:20PM

CallingtonFox/H_Trevorrow - your bitter and possibly racist comments noted. Thankfully, neither of you have any say in this National celebration which will be enjoyed by thousands. Please don't force your exclusive and highly suspect biaised nastiness on me or the postings. You will have literally no effect on my or many others' pride in resurgent Cornishness. Nor will you have any effect on the Councils, businesses (try visiting a J.D. Wetherspoon's in Kernow this coming week, for example), schools or thousands of private individuals who are Cornish or who wish to be. Nor will your deeply unpleasant comments stop our Westminster politicians of all hues joining in. Join in and recognise Cornwall for what it is, a Celtic Nation, a recognised region of Europe and much more with ambitions beyond your blinkered facism. Or be a bitter troll on a little forum. Degol Peran Lowen dheugh-why oll!"

• youngcornwall  |  February 28 2013, 7:01PM

@CallingtonFox...H_Trevorrow Just for you..think on LOL St Piran our patron Saint of tin miners across the sea on a millstone he did sail Irish he may be but you can take it from me I know who I would rather be with in a gale yc

• CallingtonFox  |  February 28 2013, 7:10PM

There is no disrespect shown to anyone by me; Cornwall has a saint, St. Piran but Cornwall is not a nation it is a part of England, so Cornwall's national saint is St. George. As for being racist, if you are so sure, report me to the relevant authorities as I hate racism. I have done nothing wrong though, of course, but you already know that.

• H_Trevorrow  |  February 28 2013, 7:14PM

....will daffy duck or mickey mouse be attending?

• MapSerpren  |  February 28 2013, 8:07PM

CallingtonFox/H_Trevorrow - your bitter and possibly racist comments noted. Thankfully, neither of you have any say in this National celebration which will be enjoyed by thousands. Please don't force your exclusive and highly suspect biaised nastiness on me or the postings. You will have literally no effect on my or many others' pride in resurgent Cornishness. Nor will you have any effect on the Councils, businesses (try visiting a J.D. Wetherspoon's in Kernow this coming week, for example), schools or thousands of private individuals who are Cornish or who wish to be. Nor will your deeply unpleasant comments stop our Westminster politicians of all hues joining in. Join in and recognise Cornwall for what it is, a Celtic Nation, a recognised region of Europe and much more with ambitions beyond your blinkered facism. Or be a bitter troll on a little forum. Degol Peran Lowen dheugh-why oll!""

• ThomasFlamank  |  February 28 2013, 8:25PM

I see the usual three stooges are posting. Good job no one listens to them. Watch us Cornish turn out this next week! This paper will be full of reports. Meanwhile of Slimslad, Trevrrow and CallingtonFox, who bothers with them? Dinosaurs lost in an England across our National border forever gone is a sea of bland McDonaldisation!

• ThomasFlamank  |  February 28 2013, 8:33PM

From the St. Piran Trust website - St Piran Trust Company Secretary Ian Saltern said "The first stage of this project will also investigate how to involve local schools, volunteers and others in the project. An 'activity plan' detailing public involvement will be produced in consultation with the community". "This project is for all of the people of Cornwall and we want them to feel that they have ownership of it. St Piran is our national saint - his flag now flies in every corner of the Duchy. His first chapel is an internationally important ancient monument". Note the words trolls NATIONAL DUCHY etc. Being 'sic' yet?

• CallingtonFox  |  February 28 2013, 8:36PM

MapSerpren, note what you like, I have nothing to fear as I have done nothing wrong. You, however, are imposing your factually incorrect views upon me and the majority of people in Cornwall by falsely claiming Cornwall to be a country when it is not, it is a part of England. But you do not care for truth or, it appears, democracy. I have also duly noted a great deal of racism towards the English and attempts to deny us our country or even our right to live within it.

• ThomasFlamank  |  February 28 2013, 8:37PM

This on a site with some bigger and more important patrons than English trolls consigned to a dustbin of anti Cornish bigotry! It's enough to make you 'sic' eh fishy?

• CallingtonFox  |  February 28 2013, 8:38PM

Plus your continued imposition of the falsely based naming of Cornwall as a 'Celtic nation' is also noted.

• ThomasFlamank  |  February 28 2013, 9:00PM

Go tell it to the Cornish Bards CallingtonFox. They swear an oath of allegiance to this Celtic Nation of Conwall. I should know! The Cornish want many things. Up to now, you and your ilk have over awed many. Well times are changing and you know where England is? Yep, over Europe's oldest border. And when the Quen's rep. in Cornwall take part in our National Day and our National Flag flies on the Queen's Barge, I think you need to get a reality check kid! Slowly slowly boy. Now we have our children and schools on board. Not yours. Take your England. We don't want it.

• ThomasFlamank  |  February 28 2013, 9:03PM

Love from one of the new breed of Bards! Kernow bys vyken!

• TheCelt  |  February 28 2013, 9:34PM

"CallingtonFox" - two words:- utter tripe!

• CallingtonFox  |  February 28 2013, 10:10PM

Bless you, you poor blind (probably deliberately so) souls who want to live a life based on falsehoods, I pity you. One day your fake Celtic world will come crashing down around you. I was like you, once, and believed in the Celtic myth but I am glad I took the opportunity to learn the truth. 'TheCelt,' two words for you:- The truth. And two more for good measure; proper research.

• TheCelt  |  February 28 2013, 10:55PM

"CallingtonFox" - Professor Mark Stoyles, Peter Beresford Ellis, Dr. Alan Kent, Dr. Edward Anwyl, Dr. Lynette Olson, N.Kershaw Chadwick.......... Lot's of words for you: go read or even go get a degree in Celtic Studies at the many universities offering such. And to finalise, again: 'utter tripe'. MA Celtic Studies; University of Wales (Trinity St. David) 2008

• Carvath  |  February 28 2013, 10:59PM

CallingtonFox, you've not demonstrated on here that you understand the meaning of any of those words. You took some reference and linked to it and on close inspection it actually favoured the opposite view to the one you proposed. It was pointed out to you very early on that the meaning of 'Celtic' has changed as more evidence emerged, particualrly the place of origin(s). If you doubt the Brythonic roots of Cornwall, compare its language and in turn, the place names, to Brittany and Wales: some are identical, most are similar. Then compare the same of Goedelic Ireland, Man and Scotland and note their inter-similarities and quite a close correlation to Brythonic entities. You've been supplied with masses of references from the most reputable resourses to back all this up.

• everywhere  |  February 28 2013, 10:59PM

Hey Callington Fox,come St Piran's day,you could always watch some old movies of England beating up on the rest of the world,Zulu perhaps? or maybe Waterloo?The English really gave them frogs a beating back then didn't they??..But dont go watching the simulated modern war scenario of not so long ago between England and France,them frogs devastated the RAF,stopped the army in their tracks, and sunk a quarter of the Royal navy surface fleet in under a week. Maybe you should just settle for watching the England football team trashing them *****s once more in the 1966 world cup final !!...Happy days Foxy..

• CallingtonFox  |  February 28 2013, 11:03PM

You people make me smile; so deluded.

• CallingtonFox  |  February 28 2013, 11:05PM

everywhere, go have a lay down, you are blabbering again, poor thing.

• TheCelt  |  February 28 2013, 11:53PM

"CallingtonFox" - Professor Mark Stoyles, Peter Beresford Ellis, Dr. Alan Kent, Dr. Edward Anwyl, Dr. Lynette Olson, N.Kershaw Chadwick.......... Lot's of words for you: go read or even go get a degree in Celtic Studies at the many universities offering such. And to finalise, again: 'utter tripe'. J.T. MA Celtic Studies; University of Wales (Trinity St. David) 2008

• TheTruronian  |  March 01 2013, 12:01AM

Old EnglishFox is only jealous because he has no identity. Sad thing, he's not alone. Have a read EnglishFox. It's simple but interesting and the word 'Cornwall' appears a time or two: http://tinyurl.com/q4vhn

• TheTruronian  |  March 01 2013, 12:03AM

A bit more light, simple reading for EnglishFox: http://tinyurl.com/2o8mel

• Carvath  |  March 01 2013, 11:05AM

CallingtonFox, I hope you've been cracking on with your "research", you've been supplied with many references now!

• TheCelt  |  March 01 2013, 12:18PM

For sure "Carvath". This individual certainly has much to learn. But there, we have dealt with his sort before, haven't we? J.T. MA Celtic Studies; University of Wales (Trinity St. David) 2008

• Taxman100  |  March 01 2013, 12:38PM

TheCelt. I find your threat against CallingtonFox to be quite unacceptable. You come across a very pompous individual who believes because he has a degree , in Celtic Studies, that you are somehow superior to others. You are not! There are many people with degrees of far greater value to society.

• TheCelt  |  March 01 2013, 12:50PM

"Taxman100" and your 'useful' degree is what? I find your postings arrogant and indeed, annoying in the extreme. But there, it takes many sorts to make a world, even the likes of you, doesn't it? What did you do that was so useful? Very little, I imagine. J.T. MA Celtic Studies; University of Wales (Trinity St. David) 2008

• TheTruronian  |  March 01 2013, 2:08PM

He was in the army. Says a lot about him and his silly views really.

• Taxman100  |  March 01 2013, 2:16PM

TheCelt. Did I say 'I' had a useful degree? No, I did not. Perhaps, it is a point worth noting you repeatedly read what is not there!" Which may explain a number of your rants? As it happens I have two Master's degrees - a Science degree gained at Oxford some years ago, and an MA from another top UK university, plus a degree in languages gained at the University of Lyon. To be honest they are of little interest to me - like most people, gaining them was great, but soon forgotten.

• Carvath  |  March 01 2013, 2:17PM

Come on Graham Fox, where are the products of your "research". You misrepresent something (repeatedly) and then disappear ( head down perhaps) on trying to get away with misrepresenting history and general knowledge. Quit the spin and deception an let's hear from you. A qualified man is waiting to adjudicate!

• TheCelt  |  March 01 2013, 2:24PM

"Taxman100" - how singularly unimpressive. I now read that you were in the army. Mmmmmm. I refrain from comment as much as it is tempting to make one. I hardly rant in comparison to your frequent bigoted, off topic and highly inaccurate 'homilies'. J.T. MA Celtic Studies; University of Wales (Trinity St. David) 2008

• TheCelt  |  March 01 2013, 2:25PM

"everywhere" indeed, I do see with amusement much in what you say of some posters on this website. J.T. MA Celtic Studies; University of Wales (Trinity St. David) 2008

• CallingtonFox  |  March 01 2013, 2:27PM

Awwww, look, they're all ganging up on me, bless them. I have been having a re-read of Mr P. B Ellis's book 'Celt and Saxon'; have any of you had a read of it lately? You can see nothing wrong? No? Oh well, maybe one day you will see. None of you like the fact that I do use the same sources as you but can see the deep fissures; none of you like the fact that I am not brain-washed and research properly; you are scared that your neo-Celtic mythology is going to come crashing down around you.

• MapSerpren  |  March 01 2013, 3:42PM

I much enjoy the works of Celticist, Professor Barry Cunliffe. Well researched books indeed.

• CallingtonFox  |  March 01 2013, 4:14PM

Yes, yes, MapSerpren, you rely solely on your partisan writers and ignore the dawning of truth which is about to envelope you.

• Carvath  |  March 01 2013, 4:39PM

You should carry a health warning CallingtonFox, I've just split my sides! " the dawning of truth which is about to envelope you" Are you doing a correspondence course on creative writing? A year101 on Celtic writing might be more appropriate.

• MapSerpren  |  March 01 2013, 4:56PM

I hardly think Professor Sir Barry Cunliffe CBE, Professor Emeritus Oxford University is a partisan writer as you put it. You are aware of his credentials I take it? Would that be a first or second class 'envelope' by the way? Utterly hilarious. Go out and join the fun this coming few days as thousands will be, ranging from politicians, civic leaders, business people, school pupils right down to humble workers like me. Alternatively, stay piping your miserable, lone lament.

• Tstrunk  |  March 01 2013, 5:03PM

It shows you have lost the debate when you have only silly insults to throw at the likes of Callingtonfox and Taxman100. They both are able to take your ideas/theories of history and show them to be worthless and biased opinions based on a prejudiced towards the truth.

• Carvath  |  March 01 2013, 5:27PM

Where Tstrunk? I think the gist if it is they haven't done that! How about you?

• CallingtonFox  |  March 01 2013, 5:32PM

Have any of you actually bothered to look beyond your beloved scholars or analyse their teachings properly? The answer must be 'no' because you are unable to accept any alternative. I was reading a book review the other night where a so called Celtic student had been refusing to read, Celts: Origins and Re-inventions by John Collis, because she felt it was anti-Celt; then she finally read the book and all she could do in her review was slate the work without giving any reasons why. That is hilarious.

• Carvath  |  March 01 2013, 5:41PM

CallingtonFox, that's exactly what you do here! You haven't answered this btw: "I hardly think Professor Sir Barry Cunliffe CBE, Professor Emeritus Oxford University is a partisan writer as you put it. You are aware of his credentials I take it?"

• CallingtonFox  |  March 01 2013, 6:22PM

Carvath, yes I am aware of his credentials and had answered the question but you clearly did not read it. You can carry on with your blind acceptance of the Celtic myth now.

• CallingtonFox  |  March 01 2013, 6:29PM

My post seems to have gone missing so I will repeat it here: Yes, I am aware of the credentials of those writers; you do not think them partisan? Really? That is so sad.

• CallingtonFox  |  March 01 2013, 6:35PM

As we appear to be playing the 'credentials' game the above named book was written by this person; http://tinyurl.com/csen6fp

• st-fetishist  |  March 01 2013, 7:08PM

Celtic shmeltic who cares. Everyone sees this for what it is, a freebe provided by some dodgy wierd types with some odd political agenda. I don't think the public are fooled by any of it.

• Slimslad  |  March 01 2013, 8:15PM

I wonder who is financing this celebration?

• KernowGB  |  March 01 2013, 8:16PM

Whatever one's point of view, here is an interesting site and worthy of a browse. Possibly the Celtic Student referred to above at (Friday, March 01 2013, 5:32PM)? :) http://tinyurl.com/b4cbku3

• st-fetishist  |  March 01 2013, 8:47PM

Town councils are probably underwriting these thinly disguised political rally's .

• st-fetishist  |  March 01 2013, 8:51PM

In the 21 st century it is beyond belief that some seem to place so much emphasis on creating schism between neighbours . It is truly sad .

• CallingtonFox  |  March 01 2013, 9:04PM

KernowGB, that was certainly one of the reviews I read, I read quite a number just out of interest.

• TheCelt  |  March 02 2013, 12:06AM

Hopefully the town and Cornwall Councils although I note that in Redruth a Community Interest Company (CIC) has been mentioned inposting here. An amusing attempt by a few idiots who post here including one with an intriguing and rather offensive name will hardly stop the resurgence of Celticity now being witnessed in the Duchy. J.T. MA Celtic Studies; University of Wales (Trinity St. David) 2008

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!