Login Register
 °

Discussion

“73,200, or 14% of the total population, stated in the 2011 Census that they have Cornish National identity”

By AnBalores Posted: February 18, 2014

23 comments

23 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • hereandthere  |  February 18 2014, 11:29PM

http://tinyurl.com/5rzs 390,000 Jedi in England and Wales. What does that tell you about census returns and interpretations/intentions of those filling them in? Before you get all excited, do a study of exactly what it meant to the individual when they answered a question in a particular way. The simpler the question put the less specifically certain one can be of the answers obtained.

• AnBalores  |  February 19 2014, 11:29AM

Cornish bigothereandnowhere. Cornish and nothing you can do about it.

• Taxman100  |  February 19 2014, 12:37PM

AB just cannot stop the "I'm more Cornish than you" - the position normally adopted by a 'Selfie' or Narcissist. I am Cornish, and when in the UK I frequently say, "I am from Cornwall/live in Cornwall". When abroad I would commonly refer to myself as being English, or British, never Cornish. It is all about the context of when, why and how the question is posed. hereandthere's comment is not an unreasonable one when used for comparative purposes.

• Big_Ger  |  February 19 2014, 7:30PM

Seeing as Cornish nationalists devalue the term Cornish by telling us that anyone who "feels Cornish" is entitled to "be Cornish", it's a wonder he brags about this.

• rickoon  |  February 19 2014, 8:15PM

"73,200, or 14% of the total population" Not bad really, what did you expect? It would have been better if they knew the "reason why" lol

• AnBalores  |  February 19 2014, 9:31PM

Cornish. Cornish and nothing you can do about it.

• hereandthere  |  February 20 2014, 11:04AM

AnBalores resorts to the usual nationalist set of childlike default replies.

• AnBalores  |  February 20 2014, 4:32PM

I am Cornish as are my family hereandthere. We are not English. What are you going to do to stop my lawful right to declare myself as such, a right which now extends to the Census, NHS registration, school registration and so on? Are you going to deny me that right? Is this your way?

• IainS  |  February 20 2014, 5:25PM

There is nothing the dumb bell can do. Sweet Fanny Adams. Just moan on a backwater web board LOL.

• hereandthere  |  February 20 2014, 10:50PM

I don't deny you any right to describe yourself as anything. You can call yourself whatever you like. It does not stop Cornwall being an English county. IainS, if this board is a 'backwater', why are you always posting on it? Nobody forces you to. Thanks for the childish name call so typical of certain nationalists. I thought you were in your 50's not a schoolboy.

• Slimslad  |  February 21 2014, 7:44AM

Still trying to incite "insults" to put to the EHRC? How big is your collection now, AB/IS?

• Big_Ger  |  February 21 2014, 8:49AM

by AnBalores "Cornish. Cornish and nothing you can do about it." "What giants?" Asked Sancho Panza. "The ones you can see over there," answered his master, "with the huge arms, some of which are very nearly two leagues long." "Now look, your grace," said Sancho, "what you see over there aren't giants, but windmills, and what seems to be arms are just their sails, that go around in the wind and turn the millstone." ― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

• AnBalores  |  February 21 2014, 11:27AM

I am Cornish as are my family hereandthere. We are not English. What are you going to do to stop my lawful right to declare myself as such, a right which now extends to the Census, NHS registration, school registration and so on? Cornwall is my Country. Are you going to deny me that right? Is this your way? So, what are you going to do about it?

• Taxman100  |  February 21 2014, 12:27PM

AB. I don't think anyone would wish to stop you calling yourself whatever you want. What people do object to is being told Cornwall is a country when it is a County within England, or they cannot be Cornish if they do not agree with your personal brand of "Cornish". Furthermore, if someone disagrees with your comment, and choose to exercise their right to reply, you have no right to resort to naming calling or complaint to the Moderator. Often, when people refer to themselves as being Cornish they simply imply they are from the County of Cornwall, nothing more, nothing less!

• AnBalores  |  February 21 2014, 1:50PM

I am Cornish not English. Cornwall is a Celtic Nation.

• PaddyTrembath  |  February 21 2014, 2:43PM

Taxman100 wrote:- "Furthermore, if someone disagrees with your comment, and choose to exercise their right to reply, you have no right to resort to naming calling or complaint to the Moderator." Name calling is a habit that both "sides" resort to. If a post is in breach of house rules, then not only does anyone have the right to report it to the moderator, but you have no right to attempt to tell others that they do not have that right.

• Taxman100  |  February 21 2014, 3:50PM

PaddyT. There is a big difference between calling a person a bigot or worse, as opposed to pointing out the flaws in the comments made by others with whom one disagrees. It does appear certain people are much more likely to complain than are others. I have never made such a complaint to the Moderators, neither do I intend to do so now, or at any time in the future. I do not consider myself to be on anyone's side. I make comments as I see fit, which is, as you point out, my right. Furthermore, I expect to be able to make my comment without other's resorting to childlike name calling. I am sure you will agree? AB can scream as much as he likes, Cornwall is not a Celtic Nation, although there are some who would suggest it is, or would like it to be.

• rickoon  |  February 21 2014, 3:58PM

This Cornish kindergarten reporting of trivialities infestation has only come about since the demise of the other forum, and we know who killed that off.

• rickoon  |  February 21 2014, 4:11PM

Wasn't it you Paddy who was banded from this site for the excessive use of the report button? Just making my point clear, that is all.

• Big_Ger  |  February 21 2014, 11:01PM

An Balores; "I am Cornish not English. Cornwall is a Celtic Nation." Professor Collis notes: 'No ancient author ever referred to the inhabitants of Britain - the Britanni - as Celts. It was not until the sixteenth century that the term was applied to Britain, and then it was used mainly to denote a group of languages spoken in western Britain and Brittany.' Now this use of the term Celtic by linguists does have a valid basis - the Celts, Belgae, Aquitani and Britanni (and a few other tribes elsewhere in Europe) did indeed speak dialects of a common root language. In the wild and woolly antiquarian approach to archaeology in the nineteenth century - long before any real appreciation of true dating and sequencing of artifacts had been achieved - it was fairly inevitable that subtle (and not-so-subtle) differences and regional variations would be submerged beneath a desire to link together all pre-Roman iron age artifacts. By the early twentieth century the emerging archaeological academics kept this 'lump it all together' approach, with the slight qualification that the style of decoration known as La T ne followed the more diffuse Hallstatt styles. Does it matter? Again, allow Professor Collis to hit the nail on the head: 'As an archaeologist, I am concerned not only with that elusive goal, the truth, but also with the way in which archaeology can be used for unacceptable political ends.' We are not just talking about aspects of German archaeology in the Nazi era. Bear in mind also the frequency with which the concept of rights to 'traditional homelands' is appearing throughout the world - including parts of the imagined Celtic culture. No doubt all these niceties will not worry the likes of the Celtic publishing bonanza. Truth is, after all, rarely as interesting as well-honed fiction

• Taxman100  |  February 22 2014, 11:20AM

Big_Ger. The Professor says, 'As an archaeologist, I am concerned not only with that elusive goal, the truth, but also with the way in which archaeology can be used for unacceptable political ends.' I think his comment hits the nail firmly on the head, as much of what we see and hear in Cornwall today is a political creation of the modern era, and bears little resemblance to the historical truth. Every culture has its Myths & Legends, but they must never be taken out of context and be used to conceal the truth - except to indulge the gullible tourist and the occasional academic!

• AnBalores  |  February 22 2014, 12:53PM

I am Cornish not English. Cornwall is a Celtic Nation. Cornwall Council timeline refers c700 English reach Bristol Channel: Celts of Cornwall cut off from Celts of Wales Cornish not English - Cornwall Council said: "Call yourself Cornish? Then make sure you complete your census form and let us know There are three ways you can identify yourself as Cornish on the 2011 Census:" So we all did, in all three ways. And there is still nothing the trolls here can do about it.

• rickoon  |  February 22 2014, 1:19PM

AnBalores, You are letting it get to you old bean. Being Cornish can only be the best explanation for it lol. They will only get what they vote for lol.

View all Comments

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!