Login Register

Former deputy lieutenant Jeremy Tetley could have faced prosecution for smash which killed him and his friend’s wife

By WBEsme  |  Posted: March 12, 2014

Mr Tetley

Comments (0)

The former Deputy Lieutenant of Cornwall could have faced prosecution for the crash which killed him and his friend’s wife an inquest heard.

Retired Royal Navy Lieutenant-Commander from Grampound, Jeremy Tetley, was said to have sworn at the police and been so impatient while driving that one of his passengers wanted to leave the car.

The 82 year-old and Bridget Toy, 61, of Penryn, died on July 3 last year after the car Mr Tetley was driving collided with a truck in Penryn.

Serious collision investor, Anthony Zee, told Cornwall Coroner Court on Wednesday that “had Mr Tetley lived he would most likely be prosecuted.”

Deputy coroner for Cornwall, Barrie Van den Berg, told Mr Zee that these speculations were not the purpose of the inquest.

The pair were killed while travelling from Penryn to pick up a boat from Lemon Quay on the sunny Wednesday afternoon.

The accident happened on the B3292 road heading towards Treluswell roundabout at the junction to Brown’s hill.

Mrs Toy, who was sitting in the back seat behind Mr Tetley, was accompanied by her husband of 43 years, Nigel Toy.

Mr Toy said: “The street was blocked because a bus was broken down.

“He [Mr Tetley] said ‘bloody police’. I was a little bit worried about this at the time.

“I tried to make light of it by saying ‘that’s life’.

“The thought came with me to stop the car because I didn’t want to be in the car with him after that reaction.

“All of a sudden I looked up and I felt the car stopping and we were half way across the road.”

Mr Toy then lost consciousness.

The Fiat Ducato truck which crashed in to the silver BMW estate was driven by Nathan Shields of Penzance.

He said: “The only thing I particularly remember is seeing the BMW turning across the road, it was as if someone was aiming to stop but in the wrong place.

“It was over in a flash.”

The nine witnesses who gave evidence at the inquest gave conflicting accounts of whether Mr Tetley paused to stop at the junction.

However all agreed that Mr Shields could not have done anything to avoid the collision.

Mr Van den Berg said: “I conclude that the accident happened because of the BMW being in the middle of the road when it was not safe to do so.

“My biggest sympathy goes out to both families who lost so much on July 3 2013.”

He gave the verdict of death in a road traffic collision for both Mr Tetley and Mr Toy.

After the inquest Mr Toy said: “I think most people have come to the same conclusion over this tragic incident really and hopefully we can put the matter behind us.”

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters