Login Register

Weather round-up: More flooding in coastal areas as huge waves batter county

By CGMikeS  |  Posted: January 04, 2014

  • Huge waves batter Schooners Cafe in St Agnes

Comments (0)

THE coast of Cornwall took another battering Friday night after being hit by high spring tides – with extensive damage caused in Newquay and more flooding in Looe.

Around 65 properties were flooded across the county last night, mainly on coastal areas including St Ives and near Truro and about 250 homes are without power in the St Keverne area south of Falmouth - repairs are said to be under way.


Dan Rogerson MP is visiting Looe today with staff from the Environment Agency to get the latest on the flooding situation.

Looe Harbour Master Jeff Penhaligon told us earlier that the flooding this morning hasn’t been abnormal.

“Sandbags seem to be keeping waters out of properties but the flooding we’re getting isn’t different from what we usually get.

“It wasn’t as bad as feared last night. There is some flooding at Middleton's Corner and the back of the quay and some on Fore Street in the town centre.”

Local businesses on Fore Street said the flooding today is minor and nowhere near as bad as Thursday and Friday.

In nearby Seaton, a seal was washed into the beach cafe car park by huge waves. The RSPCA said it has had several reports of seals in trouble.


In Newquay, waves caused extensive damage to Beach Road behind the Walkabout bar and the Blue Reef Aquarium suffered minor damage.

A man was arrested in the town for being drunk and disorderly after wading into the stormy seas at 4.30am this morning.

Coastguards and a lifeboat were put on standby but the tide ebbed long enough for officers to go in around knee deep and pull the man to safety.

The man was taken to hospital for a check-up and arrested for being drunk and disorderly.

Perranporth was also braced for flooding, with the Willows Restaurant suffering in particular, although a staff member at The Watering Hole beach bar said the waves weren’t as bad as people feared they would be.

He said: “The waves were high but not as bad as people thought. It was well controlled and as far as we know there wasn’t much damage.”

Environment Agency teams were also out in Bude this morning placing extra sandbag protection to reduce flooding impacts after guge waves crashed over the barriers at high tide last night.

Sea defences on both coasts were damaged with the waves and high tides hitting the sea wall at Portreath and Grade II-listed quay at Lamorna.

Meanwhile, the St Mawes Passenger Ferry has been suspended for the day due to adverse weather conditions and Lands End Airport is closed until Monday due to waterlogged airfield. Skybus flights are being diverted to and from Newquay Airport.

The Met Office has put out a yellow warning for more heavy rain on Sunday, warning up to 30mm could fall in some places.

It said the recent spate of storms was the worst in about 20 years and had been caused by a powerful jet stream pushing a series of Atlantic depressions towards the British Isles.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters