A MANAGER in the social care department of Cornwall Council carried out violent sex attacks.
Richard Mason, 47, of Daniel Gardens in Truro, pleaded guilty at Truro Crown Court to five charges of depraved attacks against two women. He had also admitted three counts of unlawful wounding.
Judge John Neligan told Mason the pre-sentence report prepared by the probation officer "will focus on the issue of dangerousness". He remanded Mason in custody and ordered him to sign the sex offenders register.
Mason worked as a commissioning officer in the adult social care department of Cornwall Council.
The vicious assaults took place between March 2008 and May of this year.
Cornwall Council failed to answer any of our questions about Mason's job, when he stopped working for the council, when the authority learnt of his offences or what action has been taken. Six months after he was charged, repeated calls and e-mails to the press office and Cabinet member for adult social care Armand Toms brought no reply.
But documents obtained by the West Briton show Mason was still employed by Cornwall Council in October 2011, and was writing reports and attending meetings.
He made a presentation to the Learning Disability Partnership Board on October 3 last year on transport policy. Minutes from the meeting state: "RM (Richard Mason) is working with Children, Schools and Families as well as colleges to improve transport for young people.
"RM (Richard Mason) is looking into transport for hospital trips."
Cornwall Council failed to answer questions on whether Mason had contact with vulnerable people or clients of adult social care.
For legal reasons the West Briton cannot name Mason's victims.
Mason was first charged in May of this year and his solicitor indicated the case would go to jury trial.
However on September 7 he pleaded guilty to three counts of unlawful wounding and on November 1 admitted four sexual assaults and one charge of causing actual bodily harm. Another five charges of assault will not be pursued by the Crown Prosecution Service following Mason's guilty pleas.
The West Briton has decided not to report any further detail of the offences as they are too graphic for a family newspaper.
Detective Sergeant Ian Pengelly said: "The pleas entered now are accepted and that avoids a trial which is of benefit to the victims – not having to endure giving evidence in the Crown Court."
Mason will be sentenced at Truro Crown Court in December.