Login Register

Truro pay penalty as Penryn win derby clash

By West Briton  |  Posted: October 10, 2013

  • ON THE RUN: Truro's Ashley Lawton hands off Penryn's Jordan Rose.

Comments (0)

Penryn 16, Truro 15

PENRYN overcame local rivals Truro, in a tight and tense derby affair that went right down to the wire in the most dramatic of circumstances. For the third time in five league games this season the outcome of the match would rest on the final kick of the game and after heartbreak at Torquay last week, it was relief for Penryn this time around.

As the old cliché goes, the form book goes out of the window on days such as these, but both sides entered the fray confident following recent good showings. On a fine day at the memorial ground in front of a healthy crowd, both sides showed how much derby day meant to one another in a brutally physical opening, that set the tone for the rest of the match.

After four minutes, Penryn took a three-point lead after a Truro forward had gone off his feet in front of his own posts. Converted by Penryn fly half Jake Seviour.

Truro were awarded a penalty 35 metres out and scrum half Karl Martin just fell short.

The game then ebbed and flowed with Penryn going further ahead with a smart drop goal from Seviour.

In the 30th minute from a turnover ball on halfway, Truro No.8 Adam Gayton showed his class bursting down the blindside, handing off two defenders and laying the ball off for highly impressive hooker, Ben Teasdale to score a stunning try. Truro were now only one point behind. Five minutes later, Truro's two veteran second rows went on a blindside charge into the Penryn half.

The subsequent breakdown created a penalty to Truro, scrum half Martin converted and Truro led 6-8.

Truro then needlessly gave away a penalty in their own half and Seviour regained the home side's lead.


Truro weren't finished and from broken play Truro centre Carl Ranscombe broke away and scored a quality try. Martin converted to give Truro a 15-9 lead at half-time.

Truro maintained their tempo at the start of the second half. However, the game changed in the 42nd and 43rd minutes.

Firstly, second row Ashley Lawton and then flanker Ashley Riches were sent to the sin bin both for ten minutes.

This inspired Penryn side into action, but despite heroic defence from the 13 men the home pressure finally told and full back Josh Chambers scored under the Truro posts.

Fly half Seviour converted to give Penryn a 15-16 lead.

Trevaskis was then sent to the bin after a minor skirmish and now it was Truro fired up and for the remainder of the game they were camped in the Penryn half.

In the last five minutes the tension rose to dramatic heights. Truro were awarded three penalties inside the Penryn 22. Goal kicker Carl Martin had left the field with a knee injury so, the first two kicks were sent into touch close to the Penryn try line.

Both attempts to drive over the home line were thwarted, probably due to inexperience and anxiety.

The real climax came with the third penalty which was awarded to Truro, 25 yards out and just to the right of the posts.

Truro tried to bring on goal kicker Carl Martin from the bench.

The referee allowed Martin onto the field, but under intense pressure from Penryn, Martin was sent back to the bench.

After a long delay, young fly half Daryl Riches stepped up and pulled the kick wide handing the victory to Penryn.

This Saturday Truro will entertain St Ives (3pm), while Penryn travel to Kingsbridge.

In Cornwall One, St Agnes were 44-24 winners at Stithians, Helston beat Perranporth 28-10 and Camborne SoM's were defeated 36-17 at Bodmin.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters