Login Register

Truro experience new Low as stoppage time goal denies them victory

By KevinMarriott  |  Posted: February 23, 2013

Comments (0)

Bath City 1 Truro City  1

Truro were cruelly denied their first Blue Square South double of the season by a 94th minute Bath equaliser, writes Rhod Mitchell at the Mayday Trust Park.

A superb 25-yard lob by City striker Andy Watkins looked to have given the visitors a precious three points, in what was an instantly forgettable game.

But City were undone when a flick on by Charlie Griffin found fellow substitute Josh Low at the far post and he hammered the ball into the roof of the net to break the visitors'  hearts.

The previous 90 minutes was  largely devoid of excitement and quality with neither keeper seriously tested.

In a first half there was little to excite  the crowd of 574, which included  around 40 hardy Truro supporters.

 Truro also suffered a blow just before the half hour when Martin Watts twisted his knee and had to go off to be replaced by Ben Williams.

After the game Watts said he did not expect to be out of action for too long.

Watts had earlier shot over from long range, while the lively Les Afful stung the hands of Bath keeper Jason Mellor with a free-kick.

At the other end, Truro keeper Luke Payne, who had a very  impressive game, did well to deny Elliott Chamberlain at the near post.

The second half was little better,  with City surviving two  penalty shouts for a handball against player-manager Lee Hodges and Ben Gerring for a challenge on Chris Allen.

But the game looked to be heading for a dour 0-0 draw when, out of nothing, Watkins beat a stranded Mellor with an  audacious lob in the final minute of normal time.

And that looked to have settled the match, but not for the first time this season, City's defence, which had looked so solid, conceded a late goal, leaving them with just a point, though in truth a draw was probably a fair result.

They are next in action at home to Weston-super-Mare on Tuesday evening.

Bath City: Mellor; Simpson, Brown, Preece, Jones (capt), Ball, Connolly (Canham 65), Keats, Allen (Griffin 77), Chamberlain, Morgan (Low 64). Subs  (not used) Norris, Walker.

Truro City: Payne; Hodges, Gerring, Kendall, Cooke, Broad, Martin (capt), Watts (Williams 29), Afful,  Hayles (Wright 56), Watkins.

Subs (not used): Hall, Hider.

Yellow cards: Hayles (37), Cooke (75).

Half time 0-0.

Goals:  Watkins (90) 0-1,  Low (90 + 3) 1-1.

Crowd: 574.

Referee: Barry Holderness (Whitford).

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters