Login Register

Truro & District Grassroots May 1

By West Briton  |  Posted: May 01, 2014

  • YOUNG GUNS: Winner of the Truro Golf Club juniors Winter League Joe Reynard (second left), receives the trophy from junior captain Jake Finn. Also pictured are runner-up Thomas Stephens (left) and and Liam Wilson who was third.

Comments (0)

Youth football


Truro City Tigers U13s 4 Wendron Utd Blue Goats 3 (aet)

In a thrilling climax to their season, Truro City Tigers beat Wendron Utd Blue Goats in extra time in the Premiership League Cup final at Hayle on Sunday.

On a blustery cold morning with squally showers, conditions were not easy. Truro won the toss and played with the wind at their backs in the first half and quickly went 2-0 up from two well placed free-kicks from Kian Rowland and Bryce Cazaly, which were cunningly headed into the Wendron goal by Jack Skews.

Just before half time, Fred Bareham volleyed into the net from the left wing to put Truro into a seemingly unassailable 3-0 lead.

But it was not to be, as Wendron fought back magnificently in the second half and despite three magnificent saves from Truro goalie Ethan Elwell (the referee's man of the match) they were able to draw level with a minute to spare.

At this level there is just five minutes each half for extra time, and although Bareham was able to nutmeg the Wendron goalie in the second minute to put Truro a goal ahead again, it was a very long five minutes for players and fans alike, for Truro to hold out in the second half of extra time to finally lift the cup.

Truro manager Richard Elwell praised both sides for their sportsmanship and skill in such difficult conditions.

He said: "It was a pretty close thing, but we managed to hold out against a very good Wendron side."



Truro Golf Club juniors have held their annual Winter League presentation which was preceded by a fun 18 hole greensomes with six drives required from each junior and adult, the scoring was very close with only three points separating the top eight pairs.

In third place were Joe and Mike Reynard on 37 points, losing out on countback to another father and son combination Jared and Andy Mortimore, but the winners with 38 points were Olivia Trewhela and Shaun Jones.

In the academy junior adult competition, it was Jessica and Colin Brown who came out on top for the second time running.

The junior Winter League was played over 22 rounds through the winter, with a record entry of juniors who played in various challenging conditions throughout the winter.

But on the final day and with only three points separating the top three players the sun shone, as did the golf of Joe Reynard as he shot a near perfect one over gross 68 which saw him jump to the top of the leader board for the first time.

With their best ten scores to count the top four places were: 1 Joe Reynard 384 points, 2 Thomas Stephens 380; 3 Liam Wilson 378; 4 Jack Andrew 373.

It was a busy Easter for the Truro Juniors which started with them looking to defend their Cornwall Junior Club title at the Point of Polzeath.

They came agonisingly close, missing out by four shots to Tehidy Park finishing on 101pts (Joe Reynard 30, Jake Finn 32 and Emily Wilson 39pts) Emily's 39 points was the top score of the day.

Jake Finn represented the Cornwall U18s as they won the Four Counties stroke-play event at West Cornwall. Olivia Trewhela, Emily Wilson and Laura Andrew helped Cornwall girls to a draw against rivals Devon. The girls were also in action at the ladies' county championships where Laura excelled in winning the ladies' plate competition winning the final 3 & 1.

If your child is interested in taking up golf, Truro has a junior academy for the beginners and a full junior section for more established players.

Club professional Scott Richards provides junior coaching at his holiday golf camp days. For more details call Truro Golf Club on 01872 278684,


Truro Ladies' golfers played for two of the club's smallest, but most historic trophies.

The Button Trophy – a set of framed silver buttons – has been played annually for the past 32 years. The prize this year went to Cecilia Lodge with a net 69.

The diminutive Charity Cup – of equal antiquity – was a Stableford competition won by Tamsyn Lewis with an outstanding 42 points.

Full results: Button Trophy: 1 Cecelia Lodge net 69; 2 Bev Horton net 71; 3 Michele Cowls net 72. Charity Cup: 1 Tamsyn Lewis 42 pts; 2 Jasmin Stopford 39 pts; 3 Vicki Stevenson 35 pts.

Truro's ladies have made an excellent start in the Mail on Sunday inter-club knockout competition.

After a first round bye and a home win against Cape Cornwall. they have got through the third round with a 3½1½ victory at Porthpean. They now look forward to a fourth round clash against Killiow.


The Tinson Cups were held at Truro on Saturday for men, ladies and juniors (see picture page 80).

Results: Men: 1 Paul Suddes 68-4-64; 2 Andy House 76-12-64; 3 Pete Suddes 73-8-65. Ladies: 1 Catherine Andrew 97-30-67; 2 Vicki Stevenson 81-12-69; 3 Anna Sendall 83-11-72. Juniors: 1 Jack Andrew 74-12-62; 2 Joe Reynard 71-7-64; 3 Olivia Trewhela 81-15-66.


Some 23 pairs played in the West Kitty Plate mixed at Perranporth on Easter Monday. Despite the bad weather forecast it stayed dry with occasional brief glimpses of the sun. In first place, winning the West Kitty Plate with 39 points on countback, were Lauren Hulston and Nick Winfield (see picture page 80).

In second, also with 39 points, were Jane and Nick Barrington and third on 36 points were Sandra and John Loomes. This included a two on the par 5 11th. In fourth place with 35 points were Mandy Wright and Conner Eade. The best back nine was won by Christine Fogarty and Ben Cousins.


Ian Richards won the Killiow Men's Winter League for 2013-14.

In a competition where a number of rounds had to be cancelled because of terrible weather he scored 132, just one ahead of second placed John Crowson. Pete Cowls, Bryan Gould and Tim Cook were tied third with 130 points.

John Game had an excellent week winning both the Seniors' Roll Up and the Seniors' Stableford, each time with 38 points and on countback.

In the Roll Up, Joseph Scott was second with 38 points and Howard Martin was third with 36. In the Stableford, John Stone was second with 38 points and Ian Windsor third with 37.

Twenty-five teams of three took part in the Byrne Trophy Open competition at the weekend. Competitors in this Texas Scramble, particularly the later starters, faced very difficult conditions with strong winds and torrential rain showers but all went on to complete their rounds despite this.

The winners, who confessed to having the best of the conditions as they were the first group out, were the home team of Julie MacGregor, Hilary Pryor and Gill Tregay (see picture page 80).

They scored an amazing 59.2. In second place was the Budock Vean team, comprising Nina Hann, Mo Salamone and Jenny Wake with 64.8. Jean-Anne Evers (Killiow) playing with Debbie Howard and Roma Cook from Porthpean were third on countback from Sue Dickinson (Killiow) and Sarah Shobrook and Jackie Mallett (Perranporth) in fourth.

Both teams scored 65.8 whilst Cara Rowe (Killiow) playing with China Fleet's Heather Hunter and Chris Spyer was fifth with 66.

Youth rugby


On a showery Sunday morning, Perranporth RFC U10s hosted a triangular fixture with Topsham and Falmouth for their final fixtures of the season.

Perranporth faced an extremely strong, big and very well drilled Topsham side in the first game which the Devon club easy winners 40-5, despite spirited defence by the gallant Perranporth team, led valiantly by Molly Faux and the particularly strong tackling of Harry Youngman, Ben Jones and Giddy Blacklock.

Perranporth did steal a consolation try by the impressive Aiden De Beer, who received a smart quick pass from the hard tackling Samson Samuel, and ran through the Topsham defence before sprinting over the try line.

The second game against Falmouth was a much closer match. Both teams had plenty of possession and Molly Faux and Samson Samuel kept their team moving forward with strong rucking and off-loading.

They were helped by the quick passing and line breaking of Matthew Pollard and the straight running and smart, sharp passing of Will Blatchford and Keaton Wilson, who were both always looking to exploit a gap in the Falmouth defence.

Ben Jones and Oli Ward again had fine games and were supported by Piran Hawken and Jake Georgelin.

The arrival of Charlie Varker added more direct running and power to the Perranporth play, and although Falmouth came away victorious 35-20. This was a much better display by the Perranporth team and was exemplified by the Perranporth scorers: Giddy Blacklock (2); Matthew Pollard and Harry Youngman, all three of whom ran strong and tackled hard.


Trevenson 1 Chacewater 3:

Following their pulsating 3-2 win over Titans in midweek, thanks to goals from Craig Hitchens, Brendan Hitchens and Kayne Trevaskis, Chacewater travelled with the bare number for another Trelawny League Division One title contender clash with Trevenson at Pool School.

Playing against the wind and heavy rain in the first half, Chacewater played sensible football, keeping the ball on the ground and tooj the lead when Chris Shackley's slide rule pass set up manager Luke Kelland to stroke the ball home after 20 minutes.

Ten minutes later it was 2-0 as Shackley again picked out Kelland in a crowded goalmouth. The defence of Dan Cooper, Daine Peacock, John Dunstan, Travis Hitchens and goalkeeper Russell Grice were capably dealing with the home attacks.

Chacewater opened up Trevenson time after time in the second half but did not take their chances and as can happen Luke Rosevear struck a fine 20 -yard shot in for Trevenson.

It was a short reprieve, however, as Chacewater's dominance resulted in a corner from which Dan Cooper found Luke Kelland outjumping the home defence to power home a superb header and complete his hat trick.

Chacewater host title rivals West Cornwall on Saturday (2.30pm) and Camborne SOM next Wednesday (6.15pm).

Chacewater Res 1 Marazion Blues 1:

The clash of two of the heavyweights in Division Three resulted in a feisty physical match which ended with the points shared.

They meet again this evening at Carharrack in the semi-final of the Russell Hall Cup (6.15pm).

Marazion were down to ten men from the fifth minute Kyle Pearce, was sent off after a clash with Darren Bennetts.

Chacewater soon lost midfield dynamo Gavin Bennetts with a head injury which required hospital treatment and stitches. Marazion, however, were the better team for large patches of the first half and took the lead when Chris Bullock turned in a free kick.

Chacewater finally made their numerical advantage tell, when a cross from the left by Lee Smith was fired into the net by Lewis Bridger.

In a busy period for the team on Monday evening, the reserves won 6-1 at St Agnes 3rds, thanks to goals by Chris Shackley(2), Bayley Milling, Chris Pridham, big Dave Cilia and Matt Davis.

After Thursday's match, the reserves visit Madron on Saturday (2.30pm) and Troon on Wednesday (6.15pm), requiring just one win from their last four games to take the title.

Read more from West Briton

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters