Login Register

Former Truro School pupil George Gray jailed for raping a teenager at a party

By WBMiles  |  Posted: December 06, 2012

  • George Gray, former Truro School student, has been jailed for four years for raping a teenage girl at a party


A former student at one of Cornwall's top private schools has been jailed for four years for raping a teenager at an exclusive party near Truro.
George Gray, 19, from Taunton, was a pupil at Truro School when he raped the girl in a bathroom at an extravagant party.
This morning Gray was sentenced to four years in prison having been previously found guilty in a four-day trial at Truro Crown Court.
Devon and Cornwall Police paid tribute to the "courage" and "strength of character" shown by Gray's victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons.
Setting out the case for the prosecution, barrister David Sapiecha told the court: "It (the party) was quite a lavish affair – there was a marquee and entertainment in the form of singers and dancers."
The court heard that Gray and the victim went alone downstairs to a swimming pool and gym area.
Mr Sapiecha said Gray then "guided" the victim into a bathroom, locked the door and raped the girl.
The court heard: "She told him to stop. She was trying to call out but he put his hand on her mouth to stop her doing that."
Gray's parents, Sarah Gray and Colonel Mark Gray MBE, were present throughout the trial. Colonel Gray has been credited with saving up to 20,000 lives when he foiled an attack on a dam in Croatia in 1993.
Speaking after this morning's sentencing Detective Sergeant Ian Pengelly welcomed the conviction.
He said: "The fact that Gray put his victim through the ordeal of giving evidence added to her distress and we would like to acknowledge her courage throughout the investigation and subsequent trial.
"The victim's strength of character has shone throughout this entire process and she is extremely satisfied and relieved with the jury's verdict. It has been a very traumatic time for her and her family and hopefully this result will help to bring closure for them all.
"This result is the culmination of 14 months dedicated work by the investigation team and prosecution.
"We hope this outcome will give confidence to any victim of a sexual assault that their case will be investigated with equal sensitivity, commitment and support through the criminal justice process." The police said the victim and her family had made it known through their liaison officer that they wanted to thank the police for their dedication, delicate handling and continued support throughout the investigation from initial report through to its conclusion.

Related content

Read more from West Briton