Login Register

Trevithick Day attacker weeps as he is sent down

By West Briton  |  Posted: July 29, 2013

A TEENAGER involved in a "cowardly" attack on two Latvian men on Trevithick Day in Camborne wept in the dock as he was sentenced.

William Trengove, 19, known as Daniel, pleaded guilty to counts of affray, witness intimidation and being in possession of a bladed article, when he appeared at Truro Crown Court on Friday. Family and friends in the public gallery were also in tears.

The court heard that Trengove, of Chapel Terrace, Brea, Camborne, was seen chasing down the two men in their twenties – Dmitrijs Zablovkis and Aleksejs Sperlins – on April 26.

He was with a group of 17-year-olds, some of whom were dealt with at Truro Youth Court.

Iain White, for the CPS, said Trengove was one of the "prime movers" in the attack.

He said: "Trengove was seen to punch one of the men to the head and while on the ground to kick and stamp on the young man's head."

One of the men suffered a depressed nasal bone which had to be treated under general anaesthetic and the other suffered a wound above the right eye.

Mr White said one witness described feeling physically sick after seeing the violence.

The court heard that the charges of witness intimidation and being in possession of a bladed article related to the following Friday, May 3, when Trengove threatened a 16-year-old witness to the Trevithick Day incident.

He believed the youth had spoken to the police about it and threatened him with a machete, saying, "I'll chop your head off".

Barrie Van den Berg, for the defence, said Trengove had shown "a real understanding" of how wrong, frightening and terrifying his actions were.

Sentencing him to ten months in a young offenders' institution, Judge Christopher Harvey Clark, QC, said: "It was a cowardly attack ... I hope you are utterly disgusted with what you have done."

On July 12, Truro Youth Court ordered two 17-year-old boys from Camborne to carry out an eight-month referral order after they admitted threatening unlawful violence at the Trevithick Day attack.

A 17-year-old girl from Redruth, who admitted using threatening, abusive or insulting words towards the 16-year-old witness on May 3, was given a six-month referral order. She was also ordered to pay £175 in costs and compensation. The boys were ordered to pay £115 each.

Judge Harvey Clark, QC, warned Trengove and people in the gallery: "If I hear of further problems arising out of this incident and sentence they better beware."

Read more from West Briton